Time Management Advice

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 am BUT WHAT SHOULD HE DO?!?
Sorry bro I told this other forum the thread numbers and they were a lot closer to me in terms of bandwidth triangulation. I’ll send you guys a beer doe. :csb:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am
Sorry bro I told this other forum the thread numbers and they were a lot closer to me in terms of bandwidth triangulation. I’ll send you guys a beer doe. :csb:
:angrypanda:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:lolol:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

I say this very kindly but you're like a squirrel. Everything that interests you gets your attention. For professional development stuff you need to have a strategy and stick to it. I'm not saying coding doesn't fit that, I'm saying you just need that plan.

You can't, and shouldn't, do everything you want to do. And I mean that generally in life.
Agreed. This is the same advice I give others when they ask me. It is a paradox that people who give the best advice almost never take it themselves?

:science:

Quite often, the people constantly posting uplifting and motivational posts on Faceballs and shit are the ones most miserable who can't accomplish shit.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am For the record, I have not received said beer. :notsure:

:crang:

But he did donate to the Save Our Calvinballz fund.
Deny his warranty :iono:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 am
:dat:

But I hate doing laundry more, so we traded that off. I do dishes, she does laundry. It works out.

Communication and compromise is key here folks. And I'm on the douche end of it where I can come across as taking her for granted. I told her to call me out when that happens and to put me to work. Sadly, it does happen from time to time, but instead of getting made, she calls me a dick and tells me to get to work on some chore.
I wish I could do that. Ends up with some major :triggered:

We ended up tag-teaming the haus cleaning last week. It was most ideal.

She vacuumed, I did the dusting, wiping, detailing, and cleaned the bathrooms. Doing it all yourself is exhausting just to think about.
I don't understand how divvying up work can induce :triggered:

Cleaning the house should be a tag team thing. I do the floors, toilets, kitchen, she does the dusting and "detailing".

Though, we had a house keeper come yesterday. $100 and she cleaned pretty much everything on the main 2 floors...looks better than we ever could do it. Right now, we're going to have her come once a month and we do "touchups" (quick vacuum, keeping kitchen orderly and bathrooms clean) in between as needed. It'll save us a lot of time that's worth it when we can do other things we'd rather do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I just do everything and don't sleep much or have friends/pets/kids, those are big time savers.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am
razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Also accept that it will never end :lolol:

Sent from the Beer Depository
This is my preferred method. I cook all the time, so my kitchen constantly needs cleaning, but I've found if I just wipe everything (stove top, counters, faucet) down with a damp paper towel or one of those clorox wipes every morning after I cook, then on the weekend when I actually have time to clean, it goes by much faster since things havent been being baked into the surface of the stove all week. Takes less than a minute to wipe everything down, and probably saves me a good 15-20 minutes of hard scrubbing on the weekend.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 am
I don't understand how divvying up work can induce :triggered:

Cleaning the house should be a tag team thing. I do the floors, toilets, kitchen, she does the dusting and "detailing".

Though, we had a house keeper come yesterday. $100 and she cleaned pretty much everything on the main 2 floors...looks better than we ever could do it. Right now, we're going to have her come once a month and we do "touchups" (quick vacuum, keeping kitchen orderly and bathrooms clean) in between as needed. It'll save us a lot of time that's worth it when we can do other things we'd rather do.
Yeah, I'm ready for a weekly chore list. :triggered:

She gets overwhelmed and depressed and there's nothing I can do to help but always claims it's not my fault. But when this happens jack shit gets done around the house unless I do it myself. Current state of affairs, again. :rolleyes:

I mow, I clean, I wash dishes, I fix shit... she cooks and edits photos 24/7 due to poor time management. :iono:

It is what it is. :nevermind:
You and I are not so different, friend. Let’s ditch the gals and move in together instead.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm
You and I are not so different, friend. Let’s ditch the gals and move in together instead.
He's married, you're not. Big difference.
True.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:26 pm

I make do. I've come to terms with it, it's the depression stuff that I really don't know what to do with because she drags me down with her and nothing I do seems to help.

She needs a :therapist:
:dat: YOU can't do anything.
SAWCE

I make do. I've come to terms with it, it's the depression stuff that I really don't know what to do with because she drags me down with her and nothing I do seems to help.

I know those feels. That's where Michelle and I were at.

Like Detroit said, there's nothing you or I can actually do, but I'm a fixer. If there's something wrong I want to be able to fix it, or feel like I'm helping in some way, so it was frustrating for me to have to sit back and do nothing and not something I was able to do and be there in the way she needed me to be.
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Like Detroit said, there's nothing you or I can actually do, but I'm a fixer. If there's something wrong I want to be able to fix it, or feel like I'm helping in some way, so it was frustrating for me to have to sit back and do nothing and not something I was able to do and be there in the way she needed me to be.
I’m currently in a situation like this, and I am a fixer too. We are slowly working toward getting her into therapy for it but until then I am keeping a close eye.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm

I’m currently in a situation like this, and I am a fixer too. We are slowly working toward getting her into therapy for it but until then I am keeping a close eye.
Michelle was seeing one regularly when we met, but then stopped a few months in, and things noticeably changed.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:29 pm
:dat: YOU can't do anything.
Yeah, but she also doesn't want to do anything about it which is probably the real root of my issue.

I'm the kind of person where if I'm unhappy, I do something about it. Something has to change.
Depression is tough because it makes people feel hopeless. That there isn't anything "wrong", it's "just how it is", etc. Getting over that hurdle is the biggest, and some never do. My mother was/is like this and her unwillingness to get help is ultimately why I haven't spoken to her in 4 years and likely won't again.

Depression doesn't just impact the person afflicted with it, but those around them. I don't really have to tell you this, but it's a real struggle man. Hopefully you can work with her to help her realize that she doesn't need to live life this way and she can get help to be better. That's immensely difficult, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Michelle was seeing one regularly when we met, but then stopped a few months in, and things noticeably changed.
Depending on the person, regular therapy might need to be an on-going occurrence.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Depending on the person, regular therapy might need to be an on-going occurrence.
With her job especially, it's something that she needs regularly.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 pm
Depression is tough because it makes people feel hopeless. That there isn't anything "wrong", it's "just how it is", etc. Getting over that hurdle is the biggest, and some never do. My mother was/is like this and her unwillingness to get help is ultimately why I haven't spoken to her in 4 years and likely won't again.

Depression doesn't just impact the person afflicted with it, but those around them. I don't really have to tell you this, but it's a real struggle man. Hopefully you can work with her to help her realize that she doesn't need to live life this way and she can get help to be better. That's immensely difficult, :doe:
Oh, I know. My minor studies in psychology over the years have given me some insight into recognizing it - but helping someone with dealing with it is another thing and something I'm totally unqualified for. It's totally a lead a horse to water situation.

I went to therapy as a kid in 5th/6th grade. It caused other issues, but it fixed the depression bit. Her childhood was a rough one, though, and she can't seem to pull past it and live in the present.
My girlfriend’s childhood was the same way, but I told her pretty much you get help and we try to fix what’s going on because I’m borderline done with the relationship otherwise because I can’t continue to see her like that and feel helpless because there’s no more that I can do other than be supportive
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am
razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
accept that it will never end :lolol:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:whalecum: to adulting. Just wait until you have your own house and you have to add in :haus: and :wasteful: lawn maintenance shit.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Just stopping by to say :wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

I say this very kindly but you're like a squirrel. Everything that interests you gets your attention. For professional development stuff you need to have a strategy and stick to it. I'm not saying coding doesn't fit that, I'm saying you just need that plan.

You can't, and shouldn't, do everything you want to do. And I mean that generally in life.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm
"We" are doing nothing. Either she has an appointment scheduled with a therapist or she doesn't. There isn't an in-between.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Now that i’ve been working at home since December, I have noticed losts of changes and felt less stressed too as opposed to when I used to have a semi long commute. Especially when hobbies and socializing is concerned. I even drink coffee much less now lol.

Id say, I had 3 type of office work days
1. Wake up early, go to work and back home
2. Wake up, drop off dry cleaning, get my gym bag and supplements ready, head to work, head straight to gym, pick up dry cleaning, home.
3. Wake up, go to work, go to gym, change/shower at gym and go to dc or w/e the case maybe that I couldn’t have time to stop by home and change.
Or vise versa (you get the point)
- heck i even drove to newark airport straight after work as I was trying to catch my last min booked flight to Turkey, and picked up my rental before i headed work(thank god i only live 5 miles away from airport)

Its really all about planning ahead, and thank god I am OCD, knowing that I will be super busy going there and there, If I don’t plan ahead, i’d go crazy
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm
"We" are doing nothing. Either she has an appointment scheduled with a therapist or she doesn't. There isn't an in-between.
That foot has been put down during our talks. Pending her trip to Peru, therapy should happen after she arrives back from it. I told her that things need to change and therapy is part of that
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

That foot has been put down during our talks. Pending her trip to Peru, therapy should happen after she arrives back from it. I told her that things need to change and therapy is part of that
Good. She should get on someone's schedule now. A couple weeks waiting list is common (the Mrs caps her wait list at 8 weeks. She maxed it out within two weeks of opening.)
We will discuss scheduling tonight or tomorrow night.