EnGAYgement Rings

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm
The reality is, after a few years, she'll likely stop wearing it. Not because she doesn't want it, but because it can get in the way and she won't want anything happening to it. Then you end up with silicone rings or the like to wear on a daily basis, which is fine...but just keep in mind the "life long" term here.

Definitely worth considering as you shop.
Yeah, I see many women in the wedding band only and I could see Allison going down that road. But even if it's life ling only on special occasions, $3,500-4000 isn't all THAT much. :iono: . I need to do less foruming, more shopping I guess. I don't really enjoy the whole process, wish something could just land on my doorstep and debit me ze funds.
In4AmazonDroneDiamonds

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Jaxper wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am First of all, congrats!!

As @Calvinball, @4zilch, and others have said, I would recommend going smaller with higher quality (all 4 Cs). It'll shine, sparkle, etc more than if you went bigger with lower quality. My wife's is around .5 (.52, I think but not 100% sure anymore) with small side stones along the band for a total around .65. Like the other guys and Sno have said, it sparkles much more than its larger counterparts due to the quality. She constantly gets compliments on it as well, especially after a cleaning.

I'd be happy to share a pic if you're looking at comparing different styles.

:dat:
Noted. Size def isn't the main concern here, so I'll keep all of that in mind.

This is where I slightly question the online thing, but they're all certified and seem to be high quality, I imagine if the specs are there, it's fine.
Some sites will have an HD preview of the diamond along with the GIA cert so start there. Also see what their preview/return policies are if for some reason you don’t like it in person. Spend some time looking at different cut and clarity grades and get a feel for the differences.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:58 am Fwiw spend money on color, clarity, and cut.
Old post in a bumped thread but :dat: :dat: :dat: Ex's ring was only 1.01 ct, but D color, and high on the scales of clarity and cut (emerald in shape), can't remember exactly because, well, :aintcare: no more. That said, it sparkled like a mofo and she got a lot of compliments on it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm
The reality is, after a few years, she'll likely stop wearing it. Not because she doesn't want it, but because it can get in the way and she won't want anything happening to it. Then you end up with silicone rings or the like to wear on a daily basis, which is fine...but just keep in mind the "life long" term here.

Definitely worth considering as you shop.
Yeah, I see many women in the wedding band only and I could see Allison going down that road. But even if it's life ling only on special occasions, $3,500-4000 isn't all THAT much. :iono: . I need to do less foruming, more shopping I guess. I don't really enjoy the whole process, wish something could just land on my doorstep and debit me ze funds.
It would serve you well to go to a jewelry store just to look at stones. Look at different sizes and different color, cut, clarity ratings. Someone mentioned before, but some inclusions are more noticeable than others. When we bought Michele's, one stone was rated higher due to fewer inclusions, but the one inclusion that was there was very noticeable to us. We ended up getting one rated at a lower clarity, but there were two or three smaller inclusions that you couldn't even see. It was rated higher in color and cut, and the bitch sparkles like nothing we've seen before. Wouldn't have noticed this if we hadn't looked at them.

Not saying to not buy online, but you should really familiarize yourself with the differences in stones and ratings IRL so you know what you're getting into. I know you don't care about cost, but this is still an outlay of cash and since it'll be "forever", you should be knowledgeable. You don't want to be disappointed with what you end up getting online.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

I will echo the Qalo recommendations. Zilch and I both have one. We wear them when we are riding the motorcycle, mostly so if we happen to go down, they don't have to cut off our wedding rings, or worse, our fingers, since fingers are so commonly injured in accidents. Even with gloves on.

I also wear mine when I am at work on wedding days. My hands are in and out of so many boxes, ice buckets, all over an entire venue that if it got lost, there would be no finding it. It's peace of mind for me. It absolutely gets replaced with my every day set when wedding days are done. I am one that wears both my engagement ring and wedding band every day. And can't really see myself ever not being that way.

I do also wear my qalo while working out but that is purely just to protect it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 am

It would serve you well to go to a jewelry store just to look at stones. Look at different sizes and different color, cut, clarity ratings. Someone mentioned before, but some inclusions are more noticeable than others. When we bought Michele's, one stone was rated higher due to fewer inclusions, but the one inclusion that was there was very noticeable to us. We ended up getting one rated at a lower clarity, but there were two or three smaller inclusions that you couldn't even see. It was rated higher in color and cut, and the bitch sparkles like nothing we've seen before. Wouldn't have noticed this if we hadn't looked at them.

Not saying to not buy online, but you should really familiarize yourself with the differences in stones and ratings IRL so you know what you're getting into. I know you don't care about cost, but this is still an outlay of cash and since it'll be "forever", you should be knowledgeable. You don't want to be disappointed with what you end up getting online.
This is great advice. There really is no substitute for seeing the stones in person to learn all the differences and characteristics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Get a flawless CZ and spend the rest on modz
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:17 pm

This is great advice. There really is no substitute for seeing the stones in person to learn all the differences and characteristics.
:wrong:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

KYGTIGuy wrote:Get a flawless CZ and spend the rest on modz

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond

ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:29 pm Get a flawless CZ and spend the rest on modz
:triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:17 pm
:wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:word:

It's not that I don't care about the money, more just that I'm OK with spending it on this. Of course I want something nice. I did look at some lose diamonds when I went into the store and they all kinda just looked the same to me :iono: . I think the zoomed in pics online might actual be more informative for me. This obvious doesn't convey the sparkle/light characteristics, but everywhere seems to have a no questions asked 30 day return policy.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

D Griff wrote:

It's not that I don't care about the money, more just that I'm OK with spending it on this. Of course I want something nice. I did look at some lose diamonds when I went into the store and they all kinda just looked the same to me :iono: . I think the zoomed in pics online might actual be more informative for me. This obvious doesn't convey the sparkle/light characteristics, but everywhere seems to have a no questions asked 30 day return policy.
Yeah it’s tough unless you have someone who is really going to take the time to do a legit lesson. The jeweler I went to is a college acquaintance’s father, though I suspect he would have spent the time anyways. I spent the better part of an hour as he explained all the ratings, showed examples, etc.

A biggie was that they had a little alcove where they did all this, and he would kick on some overhead lights (jewelry stores usually have pretty subdued lighting except for the displays themselves) to show what the sparkle was like under more regular lighting.

:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 pm
D Griff wrote:

Yeah it’s tough unless you have someone who is really going to take the time to do a legit lesson. The jeweler I went to is a college acquaintance’s father, though I suspect he would have spent the time anyways. I spent the better part of an hour as he explained all the ratings, showed examples, etc.

A biggie was that they had a little alcove where they did all this, and he would kick on some overhead lights (jewelry stores usually have pretty subdued lighting except for the displays themselves) to show what the sparkle was like under more regular lighting.

I got the same experience at the jeweler store I went to. 5/7 to see the difference yourself.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Jaxper wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am First of all, congrats!!

As @Calvinball, @4zilch, and others have said, I would recommend going smaller with higher quality (all 4 Cs). It'll shine, sparkle, etc more than if you went bigger with lower quality. My wife's is around .5 (.52, I think but not 100% sure anymore) with small side stones along the band for a total around .65. Like the other guys and Sno have said, it sparkles much more than its larger counterparts due to the quality. She constantly gets compliments on it as well, especially after a cleaning.

I'd be happy to share a pic if you're looking at comparing different styles.

This is where I slightly question the online thing, but they're all certified and seem to be high quality, I imagine if the specs are there, it's fine.
I stalked her facebook and first of all, she's gorgeous and I'm super excited for you! Her style seems to be pretty but practical, so I'd go smaller size with higher clarity/sparkle whatever. You guys go on trips and hikes and stuff all the time, if I were her I wouldn't want a big ring. But you may also want to think about the wedding band, my sister's engagement and wedding band fit together to look like one ring and it's gorgeous. She also works with horses and it's constantly getting dust and shit in it, she just drops it off at a jewelers every once in a while to have it cleaned, not a big deal.

As far as style, I personally want either a simple band with a single stone, or something that looks like it was pried off the dead hand of a 100 year old woman. Allison seems like she would be the same way. My mom actually wears what will probably be my wedding ring someday (instead of her own lol), it was my great grandma's from her first marriage in the 40s. So also check with your parents and your grandparents, see if there's a family ring.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

haleyann wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:21 pm

I stalked her facebook and first of all, she's gorgeous and I'm super excited for you! Her style seems to be pretty but practical, so I'd go smaller size with higher clarity/sparkle whatever. You guys go on trips and hikes and stuff all the time, if I were her I wouldn't want a big ring. But you may also want to think about the wedding band, my sister's engagement and wedding band fit together to look like one ring and it's gorgeous. She also works with horses and it's constantly getting dust and shit in it, she just drops it off at a jewelers every once in a while to have it cleaned, not a big deal.

As far as style, I personally want either a simple band with a single stone, or something that looks like it was pried off the dead hand of a 100 year old woman. Allison seems like she would be the same way. My mom actually wears what will probably be my wedding ring someday (instead of her own lol), it was my great grandma's from her first marriage in the 40s. So also check with your parents and your grandparents, see if there's a family ring.
:ohdang: 5/7 assessment, thanks Haley! I have kinda stalled out on the shopping due to being quite busy at work and stuff, but I should have some time soon and will likely :doit: in July (purchase) and then actually :doit: in August or September or so.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I did a thing.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:34 pm So I did a thing.
:gonbgud:

Congratz Griff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Pics.
ImageImageImageImage
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Do her nails match the :poorvette: ?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Congrats Griffballs
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Congrats man, juan carrot?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm Start drafting a soap contract now, before it's too late. :hue:

Congrats man.
And toilet paper roll :triggered:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Congrats griff, long road ahead of you!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm Start drafting a soap contract now, before it's too late. :hue:

Congrats man.
:lolol:

She is hyper organized/neat thankfully.