Recommend me a computer

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apple Macbook Pro died last night. Well, still usable technically, but it has these pink and purple lines all over the screen indicating graphics card failure. This is a 2011 model which had the flawed ATI graphics chip which tends to overheat and fry itself, like this.

Needs:
Laptop form factor
Some storage on the machine, I do have a number of photos and music that I'd like to keep.
I have no patience for batteries that only last 2 hours. Needs to be able to survive a plane ride and keep me entertained the whole time with a video or whatever.
Strong hinge on the screen, I hate it when laptop screens flop closed on their own or with light use.

Prefer:
Larger-ish 14-15" screen. I don't like the girlfriend's 11" air. Much prefer my bigger screen.
Not super tiny keyboard. My 15" MBP is a good size keyboard.
SSD hard drive

Long shot:
Dedicated graphics chipset. That's why I bought the Pro model in the first place, and why I think it has lasted as long as it has with no need to upgrade. But I don't do any gaming this machine would really only be used for internet, videos, streaming music, etc.

Price:
Closer to $1k the better. I'd go above that if the machine was quality enough.

Not sure about the recent Apple products, they seem outdated. Pro models are pricey without any real benefit it seems. The rest of my stuff is Apple though so it would play nicely with all that.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 am Apple Macbook Pro died last night. Well, still usable technically, but it has these pink and purple lines all over the screen indicating graphics card failure. This is a 2011 model which had the flawed ATI graphics chip which tends to overheat and fry itself, like this.

Needs:
Laptop form factor
Some storage on the machine, I do have a number of photos and music that I'd like to keep.
I have no patience for batteries that only last 2 hours. Needs to be able to survive a plane ride and keep me entertained the whole time with a video or whatever.
Strong hinge on the screen, I hate it when laptop screens flop closed on their own or with light use.

Prefer:
Larger-ish 14-15" screen. I don't like the girlfriend's 11" air. Much prefer my bigger screen.
SSD hard drive

Long shot:
Dedicated graphics chipset. That's why I bought the Pro model in the first place, and why I think it has lasted as long as it has with no need to upgrade. But I don't do any gaming this machine would really only be used for internet, videos, streaming music, etc.

Price:

Not sure about the recent Apple products, they seem outdated. Pro models are pricey without any real benefit it seems. The rest of my stuff is Apple though so it would play nicely with all that.
There are deals to be had but I think for your price range of $1,000 (plus/minus $250) you will have to compromise in some areas. I personally think the 15” laptop is too big to be portable. But, the 11” MacBook Air is very :jalepenis: too. My 13” MacBook Pro is not bad in terms of form factor. Especially if I’m traveling on some small ass plane food trays.

I’d say look at the 13” MBP without the touchbar, they always have a $100-200 off sale on them and can be snagged for $1,300 or so.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

I think if I stick with Apple the 13” pro is the one to get.

What are other good options though? My experience with windows laptops has been really hit and miss. My work one seems fine ish it’s an HP but others I’ve used were plagued with bullshit problems.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Dell Xps is a good option but Microsoft is trying their hardest to keep making windows 10 shittier
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

if you go apple, buy from their refurb store. My 2013 17" MBP was originally $3k+ MSRP and as a refurb it was $2100 six months later... still running strong.

I would also look into the Surface/Surface Book lines, too. I read an article a few weeks ago about the Huawei MateBook X being some of the best computers out there right now.
razr390

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am if you go apple, buy from their refurb store. My 2013 17" MBP was originally $3k+ MSRP and as a refurb it was $2100 six months later... still running strong.

I would also look into the Surface/Surface Book lines, too. I read an article a few weeks ago about the Huawei MateBook X being some of the best computers out there right now.
Huawei is on the government’s national security threat list. Because China
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am Dell Xps is a good option but Microsoft is trying their hardest to keep making windows 10 shittier
Parents had an XPS in the past. Was mediocre at best but that was many years ago. I’ll look into them. What’s up with windows 10 that blows?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Pixel books on sale for 750$

They any good?
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 am
dtraill27 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am Dell Xps is a good option but Microsoft is trying their hardest to keep making windows 10 shittier
Parents had an XPS in the past. Was mediocre at best but that was many years ago. I’ll look into them. What’s up with windows 10 that blows?
I just don't like it that much. Every time I feel like it's stable they release another update that cocks everything up. Gets stuck installing updates everytime is shut down etc. My main device I'm using now is a chromebook but I still have an xps from 2012 that I've had 0 issues with I use occasionally. I changed that to Ubuntu about a month ago cause I was too fed up with 10. To Rudy's point I am intrigued by the surface laptops. Seem like nice devices
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

When was the last time you cleaned it? Open that sucker up and I bet you find it caked with all kinds of nasty nasty. Board probably been getting too hot for a while if the air flow has been clogged.

Hard for me to recommend a windows machine because the only ones I use are for work and they blow. I've seen some MSI laptops with dedicated gpu's going for about a grand recently... usually a 1060.

I replaced my 2010 MBP with a 2015 from eBay last year and it's been great... has old style non-butterfly keyboard, dedicated graphics, PORTS, and I still have apple care until December.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 am Apple Macbook Pro died last night. Well, still usable technically, but it has these pink and purple lines all over the screen indicating graphics card failure. This is a 2011 model which had the flawed ATI graphics chip which tends to overheat and fry itself, like this.

Needs:
Laptop form factor

Prefer:
SSD hard drive

Long shot:

Price:

:wrong:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 am I have had great luck with XPS for me and mid to higher end HPs for the Mrs.

That said, ASUS Zenbook is going to be my next buy and hits all your marks.
Thanks bendy will look into it
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am I've had no issues with 10 :dunno:
Windows 10 really pissed me off recently. I just built a gaming PC and did a freshy install of 10 pro and while I'm in the middle of configuring/installing drivers/programs/etc. windows starts pushing Candy Crush, Adobe Lightroom, other BS games, and I forget what else. Wtf? It's a clean install and windows is pushing bloatware?

Then I start seeing ads in windows explorer, on tiles in the new start menu, and even on the god damn login screen. So you need to spend another 20 minutes dealing with all this bullshit on top of all the telemetry nonsense you need to dial down.

Then I'm in the middle of installing critical motherboard drivers and windows decides right in the middle of installation process to reboot for updates which I thought I already checked off as manual install. Luckily it booted back up and I could restart the mobo driver install. But, again, wtf.

But then those godamn bloatware games started installing again...
razr390

Johnny_P

Thedude wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am When was the last time you cleaned it? Open that sucker up and I bet you find it caked with all kinds of nasty nasty. Board probably been getting too hot for a while if the air flow has been clogged.

Hard for me to recommend a windows machine because the only ones I use are for work and they blow. I've seen some MSI laptops with dedicated gpu's going for about a grand recently... usually a 1060.

I replaced my 2010 MBP with a 2015 from eBay last year and it's been great... has old style non-butterfly keyboard, dedicated graphics, PORTS, and I still have apple care until December.
Yeah I’ve heard lots of shit about the new keyboards getting bitched up by dust and whatnot. Doesn’t sound ideal to me.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am
Thedude wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am When was the last time you cleaned it? Open that sucker up and I bet you find it caked with all kinds of nasty nasty. Board probably been getting too hot for a while if the air flow has been clogged.

Yeah I’ve heard lots of shit about the new keyboards getting bitched up by dust and whatnot. Doesn’t sound ideal to me.
Look into a refurb 15' from the gen right before the latest model.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am

Seriously, open it up and look at the fans. Even if you're shaky about it, it seems like we are at the no-harm no-foul point because it's already acting up.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Dell XPS 15 9560 Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1050, 4K UHD InfinityEdge, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Killer 1535 WiFi

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/dell-xps- ... 60-core-15
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Thedude wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am I've had no issues with 10 :dunno:
Windows 10 really pissed me off recently. I just built a gaming PC and did a freshy install of 10 pro and while I'm in the middle of configuring/installing drivers/programs/etc. windows starts pushing Candy Crush, Adobe Lightroom, other BS games, and I forget what else. Wtf? It's a clean install and windows is pushing bloatware?

Then I start seeing ads in windows explorer, on tiles in the new start menu, and even on the god damn login screen. So you need to spend another 20 minutes dealing with all this bullshit on top of all the telemetry nonsense you need to dial down.

Then I'm in the middle of installing critical motherboard drivers and windows decides right in the middle of installation process to reboot for updates which I thought I already checked off as manual install. Luckily it booted back up and I could restart the mobo driver install. But, again, wtf.

+1 on the bullshit app installs and adds. Really lame they would include that in the os
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am If I recall from my last clean install, that stuff isn't in the install, it's links to it in the windows store and can be removed by just removing the tile, not bloatware.
As soon as you get on the internet windows pushes it.
Johnny_P

LOL
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 am I have had great luck with XPS for me and mid to higher end HPs for the Mrs.

That said, ASUS Zenbook is going to be my next buy and hits all your marks.
Thanks bendy will look into it
https://store.asus.com/us/item/201709AM ... ows+10+Pro

:notbad: looks like a really strong spec. Maybe there is a cheaper one. Will keep looking.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Fuck, my macbook is a 2010, more :troywax:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 am

+1 on the bullshit app installs and adds. Really lame they would include that in the os
This is really a thing? Holy hell.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

If you have BestBuy rewards membership, you could have the option to finance for 6 month, 12 months, or more, depending on the price of the laptop or any expensive product.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.