Recommend me a computer

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm Here's the :scrooge: setup I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5G5PG2/?c ... dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758NHWS8/?c ... dp_it&th=1

If you want the big screen, a real computer OS, and a big ass hard drive for data I'd go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Ke ... B8WD7FVY7T
My hangup is the windows OS. I remember all the viruses and driver updates and shit constantly not working on my windows computers. Even my work computer, it's a rather fast computer saddled with so much bloat that it crawls. I'd need antivirus and firewall stuff that I just don't worry about on my mac, and doubt I'd have a problem with on a chrome OS.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:56 pm
Thedude wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Dude... don't get a Dell.
Well I pulled the back plate off, fans off, and almost got the logic board out and had a problem with a stripped screw so I gave it up. But I pulled a few doritos, a bunch of cat hair, rocks, etc out of the heatsink fans. One of the fans was basically fully clogged :impressive:

Still fucked up.

I could try and do some serious leet skillz hacks to the OS to make it have absolutely no idea there is a discreet graphics chip so it defaults to the integrated one. It's a bit above my head with linux booting and whatnot but it would solve the problem. My computer has both integrated and discreet graphics, and it's the discreet card that shits out.

BUT. I've wanted a new computer for a bit so this is a good excuse to just do it. Right now at least, the computer is usable if annoying. So I can still pull all my shit off it.
Damn, Doritos? That's hilarious. Probably should have been done a few years back. Apple squeezes as much power as possible out these components and they'll run hot with completely unrestricted air flow so if it get's dirty/clogged then trouble starts. Kinda surprised it lasted this long like that.

That said I've heard of people baking graphics cards to repair but not sure that would work with mobile ones.

Either way, agreed that you have a great excuse for shiny new. You can probably just pull the hd out and put in an enclosure to save all your stuff. Might even serve as external storage in your new machine.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm Here's the :scrooge: setup I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5G5PG2/?c ... dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758NHWS8/?c ... dp_it&th=1

If you want the big screen, a real computer OS, and a big ass hard drive for data I'd go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Ke ... B8WD7FVY7T
My hangup is the windows OS. I remember all the viruses and driver updates and shit constantly not working on my windows computers. Even my work computer, it's a rather fast computer saddled with so much bloat that it crawls. I'd need antivirus and firewall stuff that I just don't worry about on my mac, and doubt I'd have a problem with on a chrome OS.
FWIW I have only used the default Microsoft firewall and antivirus crap for the past 10 or so years now and never really had an issue. Either way has pros and cons, I am generally not a fan of the mobile-focused cloud-based direction everything is going since I live in the middle of nowhere and often take the computer places with no signal at all - but for someone who never leaves the city and probably does most browsing on a phone already, the Chrome OS would be better.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm

FWIW I have only used the default Microsoft firewall and antivirus crap for the past 10 or so years now and never really had an issue. Either way has pros and cons, I am generally not a fan of the mobile-focused cloud-based direction everything is going since I live in the middle of nowhere and often take the computer places with no signal at all - but for someone who never leaves the city and probably does most browsing on a phone already, the Chrome OS would be better.
Good to hear MS has gotten better about security. I’m generally with you on anti cloud. But it just lives at home and if I do bring a laptop on a trip I’m using hotel or coffee shop WiFi or just watching movies and music on a plane. Current chrome books can do that offline.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Since a few people have recommended it, I'll just drop my contrary opinion.

I have a Dell XPS 9350 from work, it's pretty high spec, 4k touch monitor, etc. It's very fast and decent battery life but is otherwise a turd. The mother board had to be replaced due to tons of problems. After owning a Mac (even an old ass one), the track pad really blows. The display looks worse than my old 2011 MacBook Pro despite the fact that it's 4K, resolution isn't everything. It has random bugs/issues like the track pad just not working randomly, keyboard shortcut buttons like volume not working...

I will say that some dude who got fired owned this before me briefly, so who knows what he did with it, but it's a turd.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I currently have a $550 Dell laptop. Coming from an HP $350. I can tell you for certain that the Dell is a complete POS. Their customer service is crap. The touch pad is garbage, the charger doesnt fit the port properly, screen resolution is sub par. The only decent thing is the keyboard. Buttons are crisp and there is a guard that makes it pretty difficult for junk to get underneath.

I will not be going back to Dell.
Johnny_P

I think I’ll go poke around at bestbuy or micro center this weekend and pick something up or order it. Lots of good recs in here though.

Shame about the shitty keyboards on the recent apples. Or I’d just get a 13” MBP. The google OS fake laptops might take the cake here.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Chrome os is great. I've genuinely had 0 issues since I got mine in August. As long as you can commit to not needing any windows programs I highly recommend it. Android apps are great on it. Can store music/movies locally or use the Spotify app to mark stuff available offline if you have premium. I even have the kindle app on it and have some free books downloaded I need to get around to reading. Fast boot time and long battery life as well
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 am Chrome os is great. I've genuinely had 0 issues since I got mine in August. As long as you can commit to not needing any windows programs I highly recommend it. Android apps are great on it. Can store music/movies locally or use the Spotify app to mark stuff available offline if you have premium. I even have the kindle app on it and have some free books downloaded I need to get around to reading. Fast boot time and long battery life as well
That sounds perfect to me. Only applications I use on my MBP are web browser and spreadsheets which google has, and Spotify.

Photo thing too but really only for storage of photos not necessarily photo editing.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 am
dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 am Chrome os is great. I've genuinely had 0 issues since I got mine in August. As long as you can commit to not needing any windows programs I highly recommend it. Android apps are great on it. Can store music/movies locally or use the Spotify app to mark stuff available offline if you have premium. I even have the kindle app on it and have some free books downloaded I need to get around to reading. Fast boot time and long battery life as well
That sounds perfect to me. Only applications I use on my MBP are web browser and spreadsheets which google has, and Spotify.

Photo thing too but really only for storage of photos not necessarily photo editing.
A chromebook sounds like a great choice for you then. I'd go with the Samsung chromebook pro or the pixel book
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 am

A chromebook sounds like a great choice for you then. I'd go with the Samsung chromebook pro or the pixel book
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

All I use my MBP for is Chrome. I don't use the microsoft office installed on it because it destroys performance for some reason. I always just use google docs when I need such things. All my photos are on google photos, and my docs are backed up on google drive. I could easily switch to a chromebook...I wish I wasn't so :scoorge: because I'd buy a pixelbook now that they're on sale.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:24 am All I use my MBP for is Chrome. I don't use the microsoft office installed on it because it destroys performance for some reason. I always just use google docs when I need such things. All my photos are on google photos, and my docs are backed up on google drive. I could easily switch to a chromebook...I wish I wasn't so :scoorge: because I'd buy a pixelbook now that they're on sale.
:doit: spend some :waxer:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:24 am All I use my MBP for is Chrome. I don't use the microsoft office installed on it because it destroys performance for some reason. I always just use google docs when I need such things. All my photos are on google photos, and my docs are backed up on google drive. I could easily switch to a chromebook...I wish I wasn't so :scoorge: because I'd buy a pixelbook now that they're on sale.
He spent it all on used railroad ties for his pinshit kitchen :sad:
Johnny_P

Yeah basically this. Will check it out at worstbuy.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 am

Now I'm onto :wasteful: in the yard. Having a fence put up, but the mulch is bankrupting me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

But really, I don't buy the computer because I don't "need" it. That's usually how I buy things, wait until I "need" them.

Yes, the clutch broke in the Corvette so it "needed" heads, cam and gears. That's how clutches work.

:trollface:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am

Now I'm onto :wasteful: in the yard. Having a fence put up, but the mulch is bankrupting me.
:waxer:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am But really, I don't buy the computer because I don't "need" it. That's usually how I buy things, wait until I "need" them.

Yes, the clutch broke in the Corvette so it "needed" heads, cam and gears. That's how clutches work.

Why I haven’t purchased a mountain bike.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 am
:waxer:
I am a :derp: for this, it's been well established.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am But really, I don't buy the computer because I don't "need" it. That's usually how I buy things, wait until I "need" them.

Why I haven’t purchased a mountain bike.
The funny thing is, my MBP will give up the ghost right after Google ends the sale on the Pixelbook.
Johnny_P

So this is interesting.... it might be my screen that's F'd. I'm using airplay on my TV right meow and it's crystal clear.

Odd. If it's not the screen it's the video output from the card to the screen.
Johnny_P

Changed the color profile, and now the MBP screen is fine. Less white, more yellowy, but no purple lines anymore. vv odd.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm Changed the color profile, and now the MBP screen is fine. Less white, more yellowy, but no purple lines anymore. vv odd.
pixelbook sales team at google HQ right now:

:fshitup:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:00 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm Changed the color profile, and now the MBP screen is fine. Less white, more yellowy, but no purple lines anymore. vv odd.
pixelbook sales team at google HQ right now:

:fshitup:
Naw it’s still fucked it’s gotta be replaced.