Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:15 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Do minimum to get by at current place and treat it like a paid job search :iono:
FWIW in this climate I STRONGLY disagree with this. More massive layoffs coming everywhere. The "just get by" people are always the first to go.

Going above and beyond now doesn't move you forward, but it helps guarantee a job tomorrow.
Double and triple the effort of everyone else is excessive doe.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What if you're penalized for going above and beyond like I am?

:doomed: ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:15 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Do minimum to get by at current place and treat it like a paid job search :iono:
FWIW in this climate I STRONGLY disagree with this. More massive layoffs coming everywhere. The "just get by" people are always the first to go.

Going above and beyond now doesn't move you forward, but it helps guarantee a job tomorrow.
This.

I’ve brought back the 70% of my workforce that was my core, and they’re producing 90% of the pre-shutdown volume. Everyone’s happy and motivated and making money thanks to the flat rate system. The 30% that churns in my line of work will be getting calls next week to get their toolboxes out of the shop soon and won’t be coming back.

One of my writers is coasting along because he thinks he’s irreplaceable as he was the first one called back to work. He got written up today and if we get to week 2 of August with no improvement, he’s gone. I came back from surgery to a stack of 20+ Applications and I’ve interviewed a couple of potential superstars.

I’ve got good techs and writers cold calling me for jobs. I’ve picked up a few really promising techs so far and hopefully I can shuffle around for a couple of good writers despite me being right at my salary cap.
Apex

Alright, back to work since I need to keep killing myself.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:57 pm Alright, back to work since I need to keep killing myself.
Work smart. You know how to play the game.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:10 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:57 pm Alright, back to work since I need to keep killing myself.
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:32 pm What if you're penalized for going above and beyond like I am?

:doomed: ?
Then you work at one of the big three and are fucked anyway
This being fact, I'm starting to think about how to fill my skills gap. Since it seems all jobs are in tech/digital, and I have no direct job experience there, I'm considering some sort of certification or something. This, for example...

https://grow.google/certificates/

I see a lot of requirements for UX design and IT project management experience for jobs in tech that I'm otherwise qualified for. I understand the principles of both, and would learn well on the fly, but that can't really be put on the resume. Would something like the above be a waste of time if my goal is to switch industries? I really don't want to go back to established formal learning, but will if required. I've even thought about going to engineering school.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 am
This being fact, I'm starting to think about how to fill my skills gap. Since it seems all jobs are in tech/digital, and I have no direct job experience there, I'm considering some sort of certification or something. This, for example...

https://grow.google/certificates/

I see a lot of requirements for UX design and IT project management experience for jobs in tech that I'm otherwise qualified for. I understand the principles of both, and would learn well on the fly, but that can't really be put on the resume. Would something like the above be a waste of time if my goal is to switch industries? I really don't want to go back to established formal learning, but will if required. I've even thought about going to engineering school.
I'm not super clear on your current role but I would suspect a Project Manager job would be a pretty easy transition for you. The development cycle is similar, just faster and shorter.
I’m a “product manager” which exists at many places, but mostly larger orgs. I work with PMs constantly, in fact they’re probably the most common interaction I have. PM jobs are everywhere, but the common theme I’m seeing keeping me back in general is lack of IT/tech experience.

I don’t really have much interest in being a PM, but I remain open to jobs that are most in demand.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:29 am

This. It's not about hours, it's about productivity.
Productivity exceeds anyone else on the team; but I’m still asked to continually do more and more. So things are going to start failing because I’m not doing 15-20 hour days regularly again.

I’m already burned out but have to keep that smile going and please everyone. It sucks being at the bottom of shit mountain.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am

Productivity exceeds anyone else on the team; but I’m still asked to continually do more and more. So things are going to start failing because I’m not doing 15-20 hour days regularly again.

I’m already burned out but have to keep that smile going and please everyone. It sucks being at the bottom of shit mountain.
Absolutely agree. 10 hour day? Sure. More than that? Nope. I'm burnt out. Fuck off.
Anyone would burn out with those hours consistently.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am

Absolutely agree. 10 hour day? Sure. More than that? Nope. I'm burnt out. Fuck off.
:like:
My thought process isn’t totally off base then.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Exelon just reached back out to me regarding an application I put in :notbad: :fuckyeah: :popcorn:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:06 pm Exelon just reached back out to me regarding an application I put in :notbad: :fuckyeah: :popcorn:
:nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:06 pm Exelon just reached back out to me regarding an application I put in :notbad: :fuckyeah: :popcorn:
:fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:29 am

This. It's not about hours, it's about productivity.
:dat:

As an inside sales rep, our calls and emails and stuff are all tracked. My entire team's sales numbers are shit currently, so I try to stay in the top two out of the five of us for productivity, at least that should keep me safe-ish. All of this is done on like 20% fewer hours than when I worked in the office.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:54 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 am

I'm not super clear on your current role but I would suspect a Project Manager job would be a pretty easy transition for you. The development cycle is similar, just faster and shorter.
I’m a “product manager” which exists at many places, but mostly larger orgs. I work with PMs constantly, in fact they’re probably the most common interaction I have. PM jobs are everywhere, but the common theme I’m seeing keeping me back in general is lack of IT/tech experience.

I don’t really have much interest in being a PM, but I remain open to jobs that are most in demand.
We routinely hire people for project management who don't know shit about the product category... I think this is dumb but it certainly happens.

I would actually like to transition into this eventually I think, Product Management for our audio lines. That is really the only role I'd want at this place outside of what I do now.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:54 am

We routinely hire people for project management who don't know shit about the product category... I think this is dumb but it certainly happens.

I would actually like to transition into this eventually I think, Product Management for our audio lines. That is really the only role I'd want at this place outside of what I do now.
I love product management. I love innovating. I love getting people excited about products. But ultimately, I love bringing things to market that people just WANT TO BUY. I'm motivated by making things that improve people's lives and make them excited to purchase. I hate buying things, so when it's something that I'm :fuckyeah: about, it makes me feel good. That's my job as a product manager, to make customers :fuckyeah: with products.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:44 pm

I love product management. I love innovating. I love getting people excited about products. But ultimately, I love bringing things to market that people just WANT TO BUY. I'm motivated by making things that improve people's lives and make them excited to purchase. I hate buying things, so when it's something that I'm :fuckyeah: about, it makes me feel good. That's my job as a product manager, to make customers :fuckyeah: with products.
Where’s my diesel, manual, 2door Gladiator? :waiting:

:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm

:lolgasm:

FCA’s product line is already far more :fuckyeah: than most.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:26 pm

:lolgasm:

FCA’s product line is already far more :fuckyeah: than most.
Oh I know. FCA does have a pretty :fuckyeah: lineup. Just needed to bust some :balls:
ChrisoftheNorth

I actually worked on a proposal for it...just couldn't prove market demand. Nobody buys extended cab midsize trucks, and there was no evidence that a JT would be different. Everyone says they want one, then when it comes to market it's all :sass: excuses why it's not right.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm

I actually worked on a proposal for it...just couldn't prove market demand. Nobody buys extended cab midsize trucks, and there was no evidence that a JT would be different. Everyone says they want one, then when it comes to market it's all :sass: excuses why it's not right.
:ohdang:

Yeah, it would cost $40k and then they would sell 3 while everyone else clamors on about it costing too much.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm
:ohdang:

Yeah, it would cost $40k and then they would sell 3 while everyone else clamors on about it costing too much.
Exactly.

I love my chosen profession, but hate doing it in the auto industry. It's really difficult as an enthusiast.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Go on...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.