Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Yeah I might need to text or call you regarding the area, if Lisa and I can even talk about this job. I told her about it and it was just all :sass: and :disgust: from her, saying I'd need to get a hotel up there or whatever, and yelling at me that we can't move until baby (I told the recruiter this), and then when I called her out on the :sass: she stormed off.

Pregnancy thing? IDK. Whatever. :sad:
Sorry bro. I mean, in her defense, hormones/pregnancy/women stuff is crazy.. But :wtf: you're busting your :balls: trying to get it together to support the fam.

I think with this position it would come down to a few things if I were in that boat:

1. How long can you make it on funemployment/cash reserves (read how much do you need this job)?
2. Is this a job you would actually want if you were brought on full time/non contract?
3. Would the area be a place y'all would want to live.

If you "need the money" you could :doit: . It's contract so if you bailed later it's kinda NBD if you're still with the contract company. The trouble is that it's a lot harder to find the time to job search once you're in a job, hard to jump ship 30 days in, etc.

I think that commute is an absolute no-go. If it's for two months (end of quarantine to September or whatever) it's :thisisfine: but not something I'd consider over the long haul.

The idea of uprooting everything and moving is a lot though... I think to do that you have to be really excited about either the location, the job, or ideally both.
It sounds like a decent job with a decent company. I wouldn't have applied to this one if I had a job already, as it's not an area we desire to move to (she wants to be farther south if we do move). No idea on funemployment as I haven't heard shit back from my initial claim. Supposedly a 3 week log jam in the PA unemployment system right now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 pm

The idea of uprooting everything and moving is a lot though... I think to do that you have to be really excited about either the location, the job, or ideally both.
This. so much this.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm

You’d be like 10 mins from me. :wub:
Yeah I might need to text or call you regarding the area, if Lisa and I can even talk about this job. I told her about it and it was just all :sass: and :disgust: from her, saying I'd need to get a hotel up there or whatever, and yelling at me that we can't move until baby (I told the recruiter this), and then when I called her out on the :sass: she stormed off.

Pregnancy thing? IDK. Whatever. :sad:
This is a no win situation if there ever was one. Better to retire and save your aircraft than push a bad position.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

It’s okay :wasteful: no one wants to live near me. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm It’s okay :wasteful: no one wants to live near me. :lol:
I looked up the town, it actually seems pretty OK to me. It just really depends on the goals they have I guess.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm It’s okay :wasteful: no one wants to live near me. :lol:
Just that if we're moving and uprooting everything we know, we'd prefer a warmer climate. I actually like North Jersey.
Johnny_P

Also in an odd turn of events my prior company called. They want me to ship their computer back. They offered to sell me the iphone they issued to me. lolno.

Now I gotta respond and figure out what the liability is of me packing and shipping something, if it gets damaged, am I expected to pay for all of this, etc.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:30 pm
Just that if we're moving and uprooting everything we know, we'd prefer a warmer climate. I actually like North Jersey.
It’s a big decision fo sho.

This area is a big difference from Philly, but there are a few spots I think you’d really enjoy.

Buy :fax: :haus: and move to the swamp? :hue:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:28 pm
I looked up the town, it actually seems pretty OK to me. It just really depends on the goals they have I guess.
I love the area.

It’s also Central Jersey and it’s called pork roll. :micdrop:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:34 pm
It’s a big decision fo sho.

This area is a big difference from Philly, but there are a few spots I think you’d really enjoy.

Buy :fax: :haus: and move to the swamp? :hue:
that would be an excellent plan if there were jerbs down here for :wasteful: :thisisfine:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 pm Also in an odd turn of events my prior company called. They want me to ship their computer back. They offered to sell me the iphone they issued to me. lolno.

Now I gotta respond and figure out what the liability is of me packing and shipping something, if it gets damaged, am I expected to pay for all of this, etc.
I've always wondered what happened in these situations...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 pm Also in an odd turn of events my prior company called. They want me to ship their computer back. They offered to sell me the iphone they issued to me. lolno.

Tell them you are happy to and will ship it as soon as packing materials, instructions, and a label is received.
Well, I have bubble wrap and a chewy.com box that they can have. Just not sure what my liability is.

They did respond and say they will pay for it all, just submit the receipt and they'll reimburse me. I'm tempted to just take the stuff to UPS and have them pack it and ship it and send them the receipt for it all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:28 pm

I love the area.

I remember doing some demos at colleges out in central and western NJ when I was at my old company and it was very pretty and nice, beautiful falls, rolling hills, county side feel. It's also close to :notbad: beaches and stuff. House prices look to be not great, not terrible.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 pm Tell them you are happy to and will ship it as soon as packing materials, instructions, and a label is received.
Well, I have bubble wrap and a chewy.com box that they can have. Just not sure what my liability is.

They did respond and say they will pay for it all, just submit the receipt and they'll reimburse me. I'm tempted to just take the stuff to UPS and have them pack it and ship it and send them the receipt for it all.
Having UPS do the packing is the right way to do it, no liability on you.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Tell them you are happy to and will ship it as soon as packing materials, instructions, and a label is received.
This.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:35 pm

I love the area.

I remember doing some demos at colleges out in central and western NJ when I was at my old company and it was very pretty and nice, beautiful falls, rolling hills, county side feel. It's also close to :notbad: beaches and stuff. House prices look to be not great, not terrible.
Jersey is redneck land aside from NYC and close to philly. It’s pretty nice really. Lots of covered bridges and small back roads and farms.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Having UPS do the packing is the right way to do it, no liability on you.
Yeah I will likely just do this.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Jersey is redneck land aside from NYC and close to philly. It’s pretty nice really. Lots of covered bridges and small back roads and farms.
It’s the garden state for a reason. :wub:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Just got the email from management. 20% reduction in pay and an 8 hour reduction of the work week starting in May. Supposed to last 7 weeks.

I guess it was only a matter of time. I find it hilarious that for international offices they can only reduce the salaries of director and above. But you're damn well sure US and Canada are getting the reduction for everyone.

:thankstrump: thanks corona.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm Having UPS do the packing is the right way to do it, no liability on you.
Yeah I will likely just do this.
I would have them do it and make sure it's insured, too.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:44 am Just got the email from management. 20% reduction in pay and an 8 hour reduction of the work week starting in May. Supposed to last 7 weeks.

I guess it was only a matter of time. I find it hilarious that for international offices they can only reduce the salaries of director and above. But you're damn well sure US and Canada are getting the reduction for everyone.

:howdareyou: Trumplandia has the finest of workers protections.
Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:44 am Just got the email from management. 20% reduction in pay and an 8 hour reduction of the work week starting in May. Supposed to last 7 weeks.

Don’t you work in IT? Can’t that be done remotely?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Beats just getting a pay redux but still having to work full time :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote:

Yeah. I've been remote since March 12th but I guess closing all the offices doesn't help them.

I read through the email again and I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Technically I'm hourly so my rate won't change, I'm just going to be working 32 hour weeks now instead of 40.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 pm
Apex wrote:
Yeah. I've been remote since March 12th but I guess closing all the offices doesn't help them.

I read through the email again and I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Technically I'm hourly so my rate won't change, I'm just going to be working 32 hour weeks now instead of 40.

That's a little better. Still sucks doe. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.