Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Being my height and build isnt too terrible to find clothing other than my shoulder width. But for nice clothes I am a bit too fat. In the next few months I should slim down enough to wear some more fitted clothing.

Id like to not lose any shoulder size so I can maintain more of a V figure as I lose weight. But only time will tell how much I shrink.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm
Yea, I just don't want to spend much money on clothes.

:balls:
I think I’ve spent a grand on proper fitting pants and shirts and jackets in the last 6 months.

I feel so much better wearing pants that aren’t ever so slightly too short and shirts with the right sleeve length.

Us Stretch Armstrong motherfuckers have it tough.
As a :fatty: I've found that they don't make tall fat people clothes. At all. Apparently, you can't be tall and fat. Lots of :rage: TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm

I think I’ve spent a grand on proper fitting pants and shirts and jackets in the last 6 months.

I feel so much better wearing pants that aren’t ever so slightly too short and shirts with the right sleeve length.

Us Stretch Armstrong motherfuckers have it tough.
As a :fatty: I've found that they don't make tall fat people clothes. At all. Apparently, you can't be tall and fat. Lots of :rage: TBH.
you are not tall. I'm tall. You are a GIANT. If you worked out your whole life you would probably be one of those Brock Lesnar motherfuckers.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 am
I have found custom cut shirts are really not that expensive. Maybe a couple bucks more per shirt. It's totally worth it.
Calling :mahtroy: ...
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 am
I have found custom cut shirts are really not that expensive. Maybe a couple bucks more per shirt. It's totally worth it.
:lolol:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 am

Sneak peek inside :mahtroy: 's closet:

Clearance rack at a Barney concert is the best place to buy purple shirts. IMO.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Barnes93cb wrote:I enjoy wearing a suit the few instances I get a year. I like being presentable and looking my best.

This is also probably why I dress differently than most of my peers. 85% of my shirts are polos or plain tees. I do not wear many graphic tees anymore.

4 years ago I primarily wore TAPOUT shirts or similar.
I still am kinda the same, but with only shirts, except i try not to get a one that has graphics/logos all over. But I pretty much avoid wearing hoodies (unless too casual, kinda like sweatpants to me now) every now and then now when it comes to casual. I also wear flannels and sometimes button ups more regularly, depending on weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote:If I could manage to get unfat, I'd start dressing better now that I work downtown with big wigs.

Nice clothes just do not look good on fat guys.
I was around 260-270 at one point, and it was the worst time of my life. It sucked when you go to your store that you been since like middle school and even 38s wouldn’t fit me. I pretty much had to rock sweatpants (when i started college). That is even i started on the fitness bandwagon, now im on #gainzzz bandwagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

Clearance rack at a Barney concert is the best place to buy purple shirts. IMO.
:lolgasm:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Not even kidding. If I color coded my closet it would be 25 shades of blue and 10 grey/black shirts. With a few other random colors.
ChrisoftheNorth

When you're already paying $100/shirt, sure. I'm used to $15.99 Costco dress shirts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 am
you are not tall. I'm tall. You are a GIANT. If you worked out your whole life you would probably be one of those Brock Lesnar motherfuckers.
Seriously. I just like booze too much and hate working out.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm

When you're already paying $100/shirt, sure. I'm used to $15.99 Costco dress shirts.
Usually I buy banana 'grant fit' which are about $60. My custom cuts are like $65
Grant doesn’t work for me anymore :( I need their classic fit in an XL to fit my chest, but then the waist has way too much extra fabric. Where do you get custom ones?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sorry in advance for the long post. It's helping me process.

I think I'm going to quit Porsche.

I was hired to replace one of the two customer facing service advisors, who was supposed to move down to our McLaren dealership and become service manager there. After 4 days there, he decided it wasn't for him and it was more broken than he could fix.

So they let him come back. Which basically made my new job evaporate after two months.

My gut reaction was to quit on the spot. I have an open door to go back to Toyota at any time - not that I really want to - but I jumped for a reason and wanted to try and make this work.

I took my manager and GM aside and asked them what this meant for my position. They assured me that they want to keep me, were blown away by how I was immediately up to speed fit in well. Per the GM: "from what we've seen so far, you're going to have a long career here. We will make this work."

Ultimately, it's not working. Even though this is the busiest Porsche service department on the East Coast, one of a handful of Porsche Premier stores, and a consistent top 5 ranked service department in the entire country, there's not enough business to sustain 3 full time writers. I was supposed to be taking over 50% of the client base. Now I'm struggling to build one from scratch. I thought I was prepared to play the long game and have stuck with it for 6 months but this isn't what I signed up for.

The pay plan is set up for 2 writers - it is impossible for me to hit any of the percentage kickers that are set up because I don't have customers to sell work to. I've brought this up every month that the money just isn't there set up this way. Essentially, I end up telling them I need more money, and they end up manually issuing me a check to make a decent number because they think I'm going to quit.

But it's only decent. I'm breaking even with the money I was making at Toyota, but have doubled my commute to work there. Had I got my half of the client base, I'd have ended up with the 20-25% raise this should have been. The commute doesn't bother me so much. The money is decent... but I'm bored. There are days where I will only have one appointment to work with... and with low mileage cars on the new customers I'm working with, not much to sell. At best I end up with 3-5 appointments a day, out of 20-25. I'm making the same money with basically zero stress compared to Toyota - just trading it for an extra hour a day in the car.

But until the new facility gets built, I don't see any growth here. The shop is maxed out. At best, it's a 2.5 writer shop right now... But until the building is greenlit by the township later this year, there is no plan in place to make this work. When I talk to my manager about it, his answer is to throw a couple dollars at me to balance out the universe and tell me I do a great job and they're super happy with me.

It's not working out. I'm bummed.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm Usually I buy banana 'grant fit' which are about $60. My custom cuts are like $65
Grant doesn’t work for me anymore :( I need their classic fit in an XL to fit my chest, but then the waist has way too much extra fabric. Where do you get custom ones?
This is my issue as well, but at L level. Usually that’s what I need for muh shoulders, but M fits my waist better and L is a boat around the lower half.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm
SAWCE wrote:
This is my issue as well, but at L level. Usually that’s what I need for muh shoulders, but M fits my waist better and L is a boat around the lower half.

:word: I need the M around my waist.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm This is my issue as well, but at L level. Usually that’s what I need for muh shoulders, but M fits my waist better and L is a boat around the lower half.

Your new name is Broadside for your broad shoulders. The broadest.

:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Your new name is Broadside for your broad shoulders. The broadest.

Broadside Bombers!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm Sorry in advance for the long post. It's helping me process.

I was hired to replace one of the two customer facing service advisors, who was supposed to move down to our McLaren dealership and become service manager there. After 4 days there, he decided it wasn't for him and it was more broken than he could fix.

So they let him come back. Which basically made my new job evaporate after two months.

My gut reaction was to quit on the spot. I have an open door to go back to Toyota at any time - not that I really want to - but I jumped for a reason and wanted to try and make this work.

I took my manager and GM aside and asked them what this meant for my position. They assured me that they want to keep me, were blown away by how I was immediately up to speed fit in well. Per the GM: "from what we've seen so far, you're going to have a long career here. We will make this work."

Ultimately, it's not working. Even though this is the busiest Porsche service department on the East Coast, one of a handful of Porsche Premier stores, and a consistent top 5 ranked service department in the entire country, there's not enough business to sustain 3 full time writers. I was supposed to be taking over 50% of the client base. Now I'm struggling to build one from scratch. I thought I was prepared to play the long game and have stuck with it for 6 months but this isn't what I signed up for.

The pay plan is set up for 2 writers - it is impossible for me to hit any of the percentage kickers that are set up because I don't have customers to sell work to. I've brought this up every month that the money just isn't there set up this way. Essentially, I end up telling them I need more money, and they end up manually issuing me a check to make a decent number because they think I'm going to quit.

But it's only decent. I'm breaking even with the money I was making at Toyota, but have doubled my commute to work there. Had I got my half of the client base, I'd have ended up with the 20-25% raise this should have been. The commute doesn't bother me so much. The money is decent... but I'm bored. There are days where I will only have one appointment to work with... and with low mileage cars on the new customers I'm working with, not much to sell. At best I end up with 3-5 appointments a day, out of 20-25. I'm making the same money with basically zero stress compared to Toyota - just trading it for an extra hour a day in the car.

But until the new facility gets built, I don't see any growth here. The shop is maxed out. At best, it's a 2.5 writer shop right now... But until the building is greenlit by the township later this year, there is no plan in place to make this work. When I talk to my manager about it, his answer is to throw a couple dollars at me to balance out the universe and tell me I do a great job and they're super happy with me.

Easy there pilgrim. Read the bolded parts to yourself and whoa man whoa!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Problem is I’m mentally breaking.

I get in the car at 6:30am, clock in at 7:30, take a handful of calls, write up a couple of customers, do not much of anything until lunch. Take a 60-90 minutes for lunch. Make a few outgoing sales calls, do not much of anything until I leave at 5. Get stuck in traffic 3 days a week and get home at 6:30.

There are stretches of hours at a time where I have literally nothing to do. It’s exhausting.

I can’t handle doing nothing. I’m used to being constantly busy and always having something to do... volume.

So I get to sit there and watch the other two guys doing the job I was hired for, and watch them make the $25k extra I should be making.

It’s starting to crush my soul.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm Sorry in advance for the long post. It's helping me process.

:(
Sorry mang. Sucks that it's not working out the way you thought it would. Good luck.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Usually I buy banana 'grant fit' which are about $60. My custom cuts are like $65
Does Banana do custom cut?

:notbad: for $65. I should look into that.
ChrisoftheNorth

I honestly assumed that Banana didn't cater to big people.
ChrisoftheNorth

I can't imagine doing a job where I was bored for that much of the day. I'd level with mgmt before doing anything drastic, doe. If opportunity isn't far on the horizon, it's worth putting up with, IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am I can't imagine doing a job where I was bored for that much of the day. I'd level with mgmt before doing anything drastic, doe. If opportunity isn't far on the horizon, it's worth putting up with, IMO.
:dat:

That is really :bs: about bringing the other guy back, but then again, they are keeping you there and keeping you paid, so they obviously are just trying to do right by both of y'all. I'm thinking it may be worth sticking it out.