Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am

When I did mine I didn’t do a cover letter, just like an intro paragraph. Then just the facts, ma’am.

Sent from the Beer Depository
I've only recently started doing cover letters... and I don't think it helps.

Stick to the facts, be short and sweet, and I think the bigger thing is be consistent on your formatting. If you use periods, make sure you use periods at the end of each line. Use the same style font throughout. Keep your spacing consistent.

Formatting is important, folks.
I actually got my job because I included a cover letter. The way I was told, resumes get you the HR interview, cover letters get you a hiring manager interview.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

My resumes are like this:

I have 3 different resumes:

1. 1-page, condensed with my BEST experience. This is in instances where I have to hand it off to someone and they can get a quick idea of who I am and what I offer.

2. In depth resume, with ALL relevant experiences included. This one is what gets attached to actual job applications.

3. Government style resume with all my information for government jobs.

I attach a personalized (but templated) cover letter to each application.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:59 pm

:doe:
:lolgasm:

I apply more scrutiny to resumes than I do shitposting on DFD.
I would hope so! :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 am :dat: you wouldn’t believe how many I saw with spelling errors and inconsistent formatting, and I almost always put those in the nope pile.

Grammatical/spelling errors is a one-way ticket to the :nope: pile.

I do university recruiting, so my opinion might be a bit different, but when I see a resume with paragraphs on it, it goes straight to the :nope:

I have hundreds of resumes to go through, I want to quickly and clearly see the key points of what makes someone special. What did you ACHIEVE in your positions? What about you makes me want to hire you?

I want to see a story...but in bullet points.

SO, it's important to tailor your resume to a job like you said, but I don't want to see a bunch of random bullets. I want to see a trend. A series of accomplishments that leads you to the position your applying for.

Last year, we hired an intern that had experience as a "Dog washer". Seriously. But her resume and the way she presented herself was :mindblown: it was clear she just needed the opportunity to expand. She did so well in her internship that she got a fulltime offer upon graduation.
This is VERY helpful. Thank you.

I have a five hour flight tomorrow so I'll probably work on making something totally new from scratch, then tailor it to anything I decide to apply for.
razr390

Griff feel free to send it to me if you need an extra pair of eyes to look it over
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

razr390 wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am I've only recently started doing cover letters... and I don't think it helps.

Stick to the facts, be short and sweet, and I think the bigger thing is be consistent on your formatting. If you use periods, make sure you use periods at the end of each line. Use the same style font throughout. Keep your spacing consistent.

Formatting is important, folks.
I actually got my job because I included a cover letter. The way I was told, resumes get you the HR interview, cover letters get you a hiring manager interview.
Depends on the company, but yeah you want something that grabs attention and demonstrates some pizazz/personality/etc, I just happened to do it with a paragraph rather than a full cover letter.

I’d say if you do a full cover, make sure the first sentence is an attention grabber.

:therapist:
Calvinball

razr390 wrote:Griff feel free to send it to me if you need an extra pair of eyes to look it over
Ditto.

razr390

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 pm
razr390 wrote: I actually got my job because I included a cover letter. The way I was told, resumes get you the HR interview, cover letters get you a hiring manager interview.
Depends on the company, but yeah you want something that grabs attention and demonstrates some pizazz/personality/etc, I just happened to do it with a paragraph rather than a full cover letter.

I’d say if you do a full cover, make sure the first sentence is an attention grabber.

mine says "FUCK!"
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:48 pm
mine says "FUCK!"
I should test this.

:thisisfine:
I got one better.

"auf wiedersehen"
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm A couple tips from a frequent hire-er
1) the keywords from the job posting are critical to even get it on my desk. The computers and hr folks that don't understand the job are looking for that.
2) the cover letter matters. If you've gotten past hr I assume your resume is fine. I probably won't read it till your interview. Tell me WHY you want to work for me and WHY you're best person for the job. Brag, be confident, don't beat around the bush. Do it in three paragraphs, max. Don't forget to tell me how you're going to make my life easier.
3) if your resume is more than a page per year in business, it's too long. I don't care at all about college.
4) the interview gets you the job. Everything else just gets you to the interview.
5) wear a suit. There I no such thing as over dressed. Under dressed happens quickly.
6) have REAL thought out questions.

I'm sure I'll have more...
Re #3, you seem to imply that up to a page per year in business is acceptable. I'm sure you don't mean that. My resume would be over 31 pages long! :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm A couple tips from a frequent hire-er
1) the keywords from the job posting are critical to even get it on my desk. The computers and hr folks that don't understand the job are looking for that.
2) the cover letter matters. If you've gotten past hr I assume your resume is fine. I probably won't read it till your interview. Tell me WHY you want to work for me and WHY you're best person for the job. Brag, be confident, don't beat around the bush. Do it in three paragraphs, max. Don't forget to tell me how you're going to make my life easier.
3) if your resume is more than a page per year in business, it's too long. I don't care at all about college.
4) the interview gets you the job. Everything else just gets you to the interview.
5) wear a suit. There I no such thing as over dressed. Under dressed happens quickly.
6) have REAL thought out questions.

I'm sure I'll have more...
Re #3, you seem to imply that up to a page per year in business is acceptable. I'm sure you don't mean that. My resume would be over 31 pages long! Image
:dat: :drunk:

Probably 1pg/10yrs or something :iono:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:wap: resume, scribed on papyrus:

I am Wron.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm
Re #3, you seem to imply that up to a page per year in business is acceptable. I'm sure you don't mean that. My resume would be over 31 pages long! :lol:
HUGE typo on my part. 5 years per page, max three pages.
:word: :like:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm Re #3, you seem to imply that up to a page per year in business is acceptable. I'm sure you don't mean that. My resume would be over 31 pages long! :lol:
Yeah anything more than three pages was a wtf in my book.

wap

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 pm :wap: resume, scribed on papyrus:

I am Wron.
:dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote:
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 pm :wap: resume, scribed on papyrus:

I am Wron.
:dat:
:dis:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm
Cool, so two pages for me should be OK. My current job is really by far my best experience and could easily fill half a page, but that's been four years. Other stuff you said is helpful and also along the lines of what I expect. Thanks man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm
razr390 wrote:Griff feel free to send it to me if you need an extra pair of eyes to look it over
Ditto.

Thanks, :bruh: and :bruh: .

I can normally write up something pretty nice, but discussing it with people is quite helpful. I find that I even notice my own shortcomings in the piece just by discussing it rather than just reading it. I noticed some obvious mistakes in my rejection/fishing letter to my CEO about the new role at my company when my gf read it and talked to me about it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 am

Cool, so two pages for me should be OK. My current job is really by far my best experience and could easily fill half a page, but that's been four years. Other stuff you said is helpful and also along the lines of what I expect. Thanks man.
Yeah I think two pages for you is very appropriate. What you do needs some real detail for people to understand how I can be relevant to them. I think your experience is awesome and folks in adjacent industries would be interested.
Without a doubt.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

If you have more than 5 years working you should have a 2 page resume.
Internships no longer matter, don't mention them.
College info should be the university you attended and your degree, that's about it. At this point relevant work experience trumps college GPAs.

I'm split on the paragraph vs bullet point. If you're fishing for a job and sending your resume to someone through someone you know at a company, include a cover letter and I think your resume could be more paragraph form. Not full paragraphs but each bullet being a couple sentences instead of straight bullets. If it's someone you know handing your resume off to their manager or whatever they'll have the time to read it. Also in this case print it on nicer paper that can still be copied. That can actually go a somewhat long way, where a slightly manila color thicker paper won't get lost on someone's desk and is noticeable when you pick it up. Having an "in" at a company, where someone can hand a manager your resume, is the BEST way in. This is how we hire most of our people. For example I have 2 openings but we haven't posted yet because HR is retarded, but if someone hands me a resume I'll spend a few minutes to read it all and consider them for an interview before the posting is even out. I'll also stash resumes in my desk that I've been handed for when I do have an opening. Review them first before even posting.

If you're applying to an open position remember they're going to get hundreds of applicants. If you make it through the computer filter, you're going to be put in a pile with roughly 30 others for a single opening. Bullets are key here because your resume will be given approximately 20 seconds of review before they give up. I skip over paragraph resumes in this case. Bullets I'll look at where you worked, your position, and maybe read 1-2 things and throw you in the OK or NOPE piles, where OK gets a closer review afterwards.

As others have said, spelling and grammar matter. Have someone else read it and redline it before you submit. Make it easy to read, so since you can go to 2 pages, don't make it size 8 font or something retarded. No script font. No comic sans. No bullshitty kid crap.

I still like reading personal interest stuff but IDK if this is appropriate after some years of experience. Just one line, with maybe 3 things you enjoy outside of work. That can spark a discussion in an interview, and a common interest is a way for someone to think positively of you in a very short timeframe. In an interview, they'll know in about 5 minutes if they want to hire you or not. You're really personable though so maybe this isn't necessary.

Oh, and if you're crossing industries, don't assume people know acronyms of shit where you previously worked. If I were applying to a job at a power plant I would spell out "mechanical integrity" instead of writing M.I.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Also, for the record, I hate my job and want to :nope: out of here so hard. But the pay is really good and the people are pretty good too. My manager is the reason I want to ejecto seato, cuz. Micromanages the shit out of me, micromanages all of my direct reports and all of their direct reports. Discusses things ad nauseam until they're overdue and other people are pissed they're not done. Overrides my decisions too.

I bet it's just grass is always greener type thinking though, I bet most other places are similar to here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 am If you have more than 5 years working you should have a 2 page resume.
Internships no longer matter, don't mention them.
College info should be the university you attended and your degree, that's about it. At this point relevant work experience trumps college GPAs.

I'm split on the paragraph vs bullet point. If you're fishing for a job and sending your resume to someone through someone you know at a company, include a cover letter and I think your resume could be more paragraph form. Not full paragraphs but each bullet being a couple sentences instead of straight bullets. If it's someone you know handing your resume off to their manager or whatever they'll have the time to read it. Also in this case print it on nicer paper that can still be copied. That can actually go a somewhat long way, where a slightly manila color thicker paper won't get lost on someone's desk and is noticeable when you pick it up. Having an "in" at a company, where someone can hand a manager your resume, is the BEST way in. This is how we hire most of our people. For example I have 2 openings but we haven't posted yet because HR is retarded, but if someone hands me a resume I'll spend a few minutes to read it all and consider them for an interview before the posting is even out. I'll also stash resumes in my desk that I've been handed for when I do have an opening. Review them first before even posting.

If you're applying to an open position remember they're going to get hundreds of applicants. If you make it through the computer filter, you're going to be put in a pile with roughly 30 others for a single opening. Bullets are key here because your resume will be given approximately 20 seconds of review before they give up. I skip over paragraph resumes in this case. Bullets I'll look at where you worked, your position, and maybe read 1-2 things and throw you in the OK or NOPE piles, where OK gets a closer review afterwards.

As others have said, spelling and grammar matter. Have someone else read it and redline it before you submit. Make it easy to read, so since you can go to 2 pages, don't make it size 8 font or something retarded. No script font. No comic sans. No bullshitty kid crap.

I still like reading personal interest stuff but IDK if this is appropriate after some years of experience. Just one line, with maybe 3 things you enjoy outside of work. That can spark a discussion in an interview, and a common interest is a way for someone to think positively of you in a very short timeframe. In an interview, they'll know in about 5 minutes if they want to hire you or not. You're really personable though so maybe this isn't necessary.

Oh, and if you're crossing industries, don't assume people know acronyms of shit where you previously worked. If I were applying to a job at a power plant I would spell out "mechanical integrity" instead of writing M.I.
Great info, thanks a lot for this man!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am Also, for the record, I hate my job and want to :nope: out of here so hard. But the pay is really good and the people are pretty good too. My manager is the reason I want to ejecto seato, cuz. Micromanages the shit out of me, micromanages all of my direct reports and all of their direct reports. Discusses things ad nauseam until they're overdue and other people are pissed they're not done. Overrides my decisions too.

I bet it's just grass is always greener type thinking though, I bet most other places are similar to here.
Hopefully you can eventually find something more enjoyable. :sad: :waxer:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 am

Yeah I think two pages for you is very appropriate. What you do needs some real detail for people to understand how I can be relevant to them. I think your experience is awesome and folks in adjacent industries would be interested.
:word:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I have 7 years of exp. I have a 2 page resume with bullets and have a general template for my cover letters where I tailor the last paragraph to the roll specifically. I'm split on the cover letters, in general I think they are helpful but there are some positions I've applied for that I know it wont get read. On the other hand I know my cover letter is what got me an interview with the railroad I applied for because otherwise they would have seen a resume of a desk jockey IT guy and wonder how he would work outside 24/7.

I have 2 interviews in progress, waiting on a second from a pharmaceutical company and a first interview on the 16 with an electric company but other than that prospects are drying up currently. My issue is I am looking for a more specific role in IT (networking) and most places want someone who works on networks and servers like my current role. I just have 0 interest in server work. I've been looking since November and just getting frustrated since I want to nope out of my job badly. I also don't want to relocate yet so that limits prospects as well not being in a major market.