Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm New boss:

"Good morning checking in... blah blah blah get up to speed on engineering documents and such. Been some developments we are chaning our products we can talk about it at the airport...."

:wat:

"Oh nobody told you? We are flying to Houston tomorrow morning."

At 6:30 AM

"And getting back at 4:30 PM FRIDAY"

:wat: :wat: :wat:

Bro I'm getting married in 2 weeks I have shit to figure out and also I accepted the job a month and a half ago I could have maybe been told about this by somebody in the company?

:rage:
That level of disorganization is a :hellno: for me.
Right. I feel I don't have much of an option though. Since the alternative is sit around at home for the next 6 months looking for work.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:14 pm
Right. I feel I don't have much of an option though. Since the alternative is sit around at home for the next 6 months looking for work.
I guess it depends on how you view it. If it's a stopgap paycheck that you can separate yourself from emotionally, then cool. But this shit about one-day notive for week-long travel could take its toll fast. Combined with lack of clear communication and organization, you're in for a lot of frustration I'm afraid. View it as a paycheck and nothing more and it might be worth it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:18 pm

I guess it depends on how you view it. If it's a stopgap paycheck that you can separate yourself from emotionally, then cool. But this shit about one-day notive for week-long travel could take its toll fast. Combined with lack of clear communication and organization, you're in for a lot of frustration I'm afraid. View it as a paycheck and nothing more and it might be worth it.
I guess if I want to work for a shitty oil company I could probably just get a job at an existing refinery and hate what I do but actually get paid and have a normal work day. I really didn't want to work for a refinery. This is another refinery but it's building it from scratch so I figured it might feel a bit different. But this is a pretty terrible first impression.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Use it as a chance to get out and see what these fuckers are actually like to work with... paid trial.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Use it as a chance to get out and see what these fuckers are actually like to work with... paid trial.
Good advice is good
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:18 pm
I guess if I want to work for a shitty oil company I could probably just get a job at an existing refinery and hate what I do but actually get paid and have a normal work day. I really didn't want to work for a refinery. This is another refinery but it's building it from scratch so I figured it might feel a bit different. But this is a pretty terrible first impression.
As you've mentioned before, this smells like a half-assed side project for some dudes looking to make some side cash using their existing knowledge. The lack of communication is the most concerning, and that makes it extremely hard to do your job effectively. Layer on the ambiguous pay and random :wtf: ness, I'd be full blast looking elsewhere, even if just for another stop-gap job.

Don't you have funemployment to fall back on for a while? Seems like the opportunity you've been looking for. Get married, have a rad honeymoon, see some shit, and re evaluate. Let the cash reserves drop for a bit ZFG...it could do wonders for your mental health.

I say all that and mean it, but know I'd be nervous as hell inside...so I get the wanting to be employed aspect too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Paid trial that will disrupt a lot of shit because they couldn't give me a heads up. I still have a bunch of wedding stuff to finalize and this throws a wrench in all of that. Manageable if I had some heads up a month ago. Extremely unnecessarily stressful when I have less than 20 hours notice that I'm traveling for 4 days.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 pm

As you've mentioned before, this smells like a half-assed side project for some dudes looking to make some side cash using their existing knowledge. The lack of communication is the most concerning, and that makes it extremely hard to do your job effectively. Layer on the ambiguous pay and random :wtf: ness, I'd be full blast looking elsewhere, even if just for another stop-gap job.

Don't you have funemployment to fall back on for a while? Seems like the opportunity you've been looking for. Get married, have a rad honeymoon, see some shit, and re evaluate. Let the cash reserves drop for a bit ZFG...it could do wonders for your mental health.

I say all that and mean it, but know I'd be nervous as hell inside...so I get the wanting to be employed aspect too.
I'm nervous because I know how slow the job market is, especially if I am looking to change industries.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm nervous because I know how slow the job market is, especially if I am looking to change industries.
Yea man, I totally get it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Just to further the discussion, I've found it immensely difficult to switch industries, so I haven't despite wanting to. Has anyone done it and have any advice?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm Just to further the discussion, I've found it immensely difficult to switch industries, so I haven't despite wanting to. Has anyone done it and have any advice?
You will be far better off if you know someone in said industry
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm Just to further the discussion, I've found it immensely difficult to switch industries, so I haven't despite wanting to. Has anyone done it and have any advice?
Totally. And if you don't?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm

In my experience? :doomed:

You've already done it once :doe: haven't you?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:iono: :doomed:

I had to know someone.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Nope. I've been on the sinking ship USS Auto Industry my entire career. Every time I try to change, I can't make anything happen. But I find changing companies within the industry reasonably painless.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

so... what about your interview
:dat:
he's still at hibachi with them

:pouroneout:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Nope. I've been on the sinking ship USS Auto Industry my entire career. Every time I try to change, I can't make anything happen. But I find changing companies within the industry reasonably painless.
I thought you were a "journalist" first? I guess still covering auto :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:36 pm
Yea...a "journalist" working exclusively for an automotive website covering only automotive things. I consider that the same industry.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Yea...a "journalist" working exclusively for an automotive website covering only automotive things. I consider that the same industry.
:triggered:

:howdareu:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm New boss:

"Good morning checking in... blah blah blah get up to speed on engineering documents and such. Been some developments we are chaning our products we can talk about it at the airport...."

"Oh nobody told you? We are flying to Houston tomorrow morning."

At 6:30 AM

"And getting back at 4:30 PM FRIDAY"

:wat: :wat: :wat:

Bro I'm getting married in 2 weeks I have shit to figure out and also I accepted the job a month and a half ago I could have maybe been told about this by somebody in the company?

:rage:
:wtf:
Dat's :fullretard: red flag material there, brah.
Last edited by wap on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai:
I did it - 27 years ago - and I was un/underemployed for almost 2 years, but that was during the recession of 1990-1992.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm

:dat: :wtf:
So, lots of updates here.

The interview went really well. The office/factory is located outside of New Bern, NC, it's in a very rural area but is a pretty cool operation. They do all of the design from sketching, board layouts, you name it, in house. The manufacturing facility isn't just assembly, everything from printing boards to screen printing to punching metal is done right here in NC. The town is really pretty but very small, I don't think we would want to live there as we're just not really rural people. Plus, I'm sort of starting to feel attached to this area, my parents aren't getting younger and I like being near them.

I spent about five-six hours with them in total, about two hours interviewing with three old white dudes, one to two touring the factory and seeing products, and a couple of hours at lunch. The highlight was that they're all car guys. One salebro there has two NSX and an E46 M3 and I rode to lunch with this 70ish dude in a manual E92 M3 who was shifting at like 7-8K in a torrential downpour. All in all very nice people and I'm feeling 65% or more for taking it (I'm expecting an offer this week).

Pros:
1. I'd have tons of autonomy. This place seems to treat sales guys like you're running your own business, go out and do what you need to do. My current company we're treated like kids in many ways.
2. No stupid rules about call volume, calls being recorded, etc.
3. I could live/work remote and basically travel out to New Bern as needed.
4. I'd book my own travel and can go wherever/whenever as I see fit.
5. I like small companies - more hands on, more technical in the sales side.
6. Broadcast (TV) audio is a field I know well, this company has been around in it for 40 years.
7. Everything made in NC/USA is pretty sweet
8. Base salary will definitely be significantly higher (TBD on the specifics)
9. I find pro audio far more interesting/engaging than what we do at my current company which is basically glorified consumer electronics

Cons:
1. Everyone at this company is old. Like all boomers.
2. The products are solid but not exactly innovative, and still rather pricey. I think from a product standpoint some competitors in this area are better and yet still not more expensive.
3. New Bern is pretty far from Charlotte, driving 4+ hours each way so often could get old
4. It will take probably 6+ months to start making commission, so it would be an initial pay hit. My current job has paid really well as my sales are generally 10-20% above target every month.
5. The company is so small, there wouldn't be much opp to ever change up roles if I wanted to, but generally sales is basically the top spot at these types of companies. Here at my current place I could likely climb the corporate ladder and do really well money wise, but I value enjoying my job more than pay and either will pay well enough. Plus bird in hand versus bush.

Curious on any feedback if anyone's ever been in a similar situation.

To top it all off and further complicate, I now have a phone interview tomorrow morning with another audio console manufacturer (German company) for East Coast sales (work from home/in the field like the other one) and I think this company is a lot more cutting edge on the tech/product side, so I kind of want to see what all they have to say. I may try to visit their office in LA on Friday as I'll be traveling out there to go to Disneyland for work :wtf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

If you want to switch industries, get into sales. To many employers, knowing how to sell and having a track record of it is far more important than knowing a damn thing about that industry. I think it's a little short sited but often finding someone with successful industry AND sales experience is tough, especially in a niche field like I'm in.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 am
If you want to switch industries, get into sales. To many employers, knowing how to sell and having a track record of it is far more important than knowing a damn thing about that industry. I think it's a little short sited but often finding someone with successful industry AND sales experience is tough, especially in a niche field like I'm in.
Yea...I'm not much of a sales guy unfortunately.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 am

So, lots of updates here.

The interview went really well. The office/factory is located outside of New Bern, NC, it's in a very rural area but is a pretty cool operation. They do all of the design from sketching, board layouts, you name it, in house. The manufacturing facility isn't just assembly, everything from printing boards to screen printing to punching metal is done right here in NC. The town is really pretty but very small, I don't think we would want to live there as we're just not really rural people. Plus, I'm sort of starting to feel attached to this area, my parents aren't getting younger and I like being near them.

I spent about five-six hours with them in total, about two hours interviewing with three old white dudes, one to two touring the factory and seeing products, and a couple of hours at lunch. The highlight was that they're all car guys. One salebro there has two NSX and an E46 M3 and I rode to lunch with this 70ish dude in a manual E92 M3 who was shifting at like 7-8K in a torrential downpour. All in all very nice people and I'm feeling 65% or more for taking it (I'm expecting an offer this week).

Pros:
1. I'd have tons of autonomy. This place seems to treat sales guys like you're running your own business, go out and do what you need to do. My current company we're treated like kids in many ways.
2. No stupid rules about call volume, calls being recorded, etc.
3. I could live/work remote and basically travel out to New Bern as needed.
4. I'd book my own travel and can go wherever/whenever as I see fit.
5. I like small companies - more hands on, more technical in the sales side.
6. Broadcast (TV) audio is a field I know well, this company has been around in it for 40 years.
7. Everything made in NC/USA is pretty sweet
8. Base salary will definitely be significantly higher (TBD on the specifics)
9. I find pro audio far more interesting/engaging than what we do at my current company which is basically glorified consumer electronics

Cons:
1. Everyone at this company is old. Like all boomers.
2. The products are solid but not exactly innovative, and still rather pricey. I think from a product standpoint some competitors in this area are better and yet still not more expensive.
3. New Bern is pretty far from Charlotte, driving 4+ hours each way so often could get old
4. It will take probably 6+ months to start making commission, so it would be an initial pay hit. My current job has paid really well as my sales are generally 10-20% above target every month.
5. The company is so small, there wouldn't be much opp to ever change up roles if I wanted to, but generally sales is basically the top spot at these types of companies. Here at my current place I could likely climb the corporate ladder and do really well money wise, but I value enjoying my job more than pay and either will pay well enough. Plus bird in hand versus bush.

Curious on any feedback if anyone's ever been in a similar situation.

To top it all off and further complicate, I now have a phone interview tomorrow morning with another audio console manufacturer (German company) for East Coast sales (work from home/in the field like the other one) and I think this company is a lot more cutting edge on the tech/product side, so I kind of want to see what all they have to say. I may try to visit their office in LA on Friday as I'll be traveling out there to go to Disneyland for work :wtf:
Very interesting.

Everyone being old could mean opportunities in the future when they retire/die. That's assuming the company HAS a future to run. Olds can also let products and services get outdated and that lack of strategic planning could eventually be the end of the company. Especially without much diversity, I could see concerns. I often feel this way at car companies. Olds just really struggle with modern innovation.

You absolutely should hear out the other company. weigh all your options before making a decision.