Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Sounds like they did that on purpose maybe? :iono:

Make it “administratively” harder to pay out commission in a way to further cut costs in this environment? Everyone already took cuts and deferments, seems the only other realistic way to go.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:42 pm Sounds like they did that on purpose maybe? :iono:

Make it “administratively” harder to pay out commission in a way to further cut costs in this environment? Everyone already took cuts and deferments, seems the only other realistic way to go.
I think :dat:

They didn’t give sales salary cuts because so much of our pay is commission, so I think this is how they make sure no one gets paid their full comp.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:42 pm Sounds like they did that on purpose maybe? :iono:

They didn’t give sales salary cuts because so much of our pay is commission, so I think this is how they make sure no one gets paid their full comp.
That's absolutely what happened. :rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Applied for this yesterday, it's the parent company of my old company. SOlid State Logic, who I worked for is one division, this is another. Odd because it's sort of a competitor, but also the same company.
https://www.audiotonix.com/careers/grou ... nal-sales/
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Thats a large goal post move. :disgust: :rage:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm

:dat: :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm

:dat:

What a stupid comission structure.
razr390

Today I had some sort of weird :eeyore: moment re: my job. I am not feeling as utilized as I could be, nor as fulfilled as I should be. I am just trying to see what I can do to change that. It's really annoying.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 am Today I had some sort of weird :eeyore: moment re: my job. I am not feeling as utilized as I could be, nor as fulfilled as I should be. I am just trying to see what I can do to change that. It's really annoying.
welcome to adulting
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 am
razr390 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 am Today I had some sort of weird :eeyore: moment re: my job. I am not feeling as utilized as I could be, nor as fulfilled as I should be. I am just trying to see what I can do to change that. It's really annoying.
In our Industry the only person that can make sure you are properly utilized is you. FIND work to do.
This is something I've learned over time. Early on in my career, I worked for a production company contracting with NASCAR. When I was at all the races on the road, it was obvious what to do - build the stages, run wires, actually mix the shows during the race, etc. At home in the office/warehouse... I was always :wtf: am I just sitting here for? Over time I learned that I could leave my cube, go to the warehouse, find broken gear, learn how to fix it, even go outside and wash a company :truk: or something if there was nothing better to do. I would've defnitely done better there a few years later, knowing that I had to just dive in and :doit: . Sure, sometimes you do the :wrong: thing or make the :wrong: choice, but that is often more :fuckyeah: to a manager than someone just waiting on a directive or someone who asks questions nonstop.

For the record, not saying you don't take initiative, Rudy. Just pointing out that if there's something there you want to do, just :doit: and see how it goes, assuming it's reasonable.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 am
welcome to adulting

:lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 am
welcome to adulting
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 am

In our Industry the only person that can make sure you are properly utilized is you. FIND work to do.
This is something I've learned over time. Early on in my career, I worked for a production company contracting with NASCAR. When I was at all the races on the road, it was obvious what to do - build the stages, run wires, actually mix the shows during the race, etc. At home in the office/warehouse... I was always :wtf: am I just sitting here for? Over time I learned that I could leave my cube, go to the warehouse, find broken gear, learn how to fix it, even go outside and wash a company :truk: or something if there was nothing better to do. I would've defnitely done better there a few years later, knowing that I had to just dive in and :doit: . Sure, sometimes you do the :wrong: thing or make the :wrong: choice, but that is often more :fuckyeah: to a manager than someone just waiting on a directive or someone who asks questions nonstop.

For the record, not saying you don't take initiative, Rudy. Just pointing out that if there's something there you want to do, just :doit: and see how it goes, assuming it's reasonable.
100% depends on the manager. Mine has ZERO interest in me doing anything not explicitly directed at me. Won't even look at work that I do that wasn't instructed.

He's most impressed when things get done fast and accurate, exactly as he expects with zero creative thinking. That's all he cares about.

My last boss at my prior company was very similar, but liked a little extra creativity if it meant saving money.

I've given up at this point and it makes me really sad/defeated.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 am

100% depends on the manager. Mine has ZERO interest in me doing anything not explicitly directed at me. Won't even look at work that I do that wasn't instructed.

He's most impressed when things get done fast and accurate, exactly as he expects with zero creative thinking. That's all he cares about.

My last boss at my prior company was very similar, but liked a little extra creativity if it meant saving money.

That’s just depressing. :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:23 am

That’s just depressing. :sad:
:ohwell: I get paid really well, so whatever I guess.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:52 am

Great way to phrase it. Rudy, definitely know you have the initiative, be creative of looking for something to do.

Do you have a spreadsheet with the serial number of each lock, access control board, camera and their install dates and warranty expirations?

Do you have a full inventory of your first aid kits with expiration dates?

Just a couple easy ones you could do today.
Very true. I do have a detailed First Aid kit spreadsheet, also have one for the access control stuff however mostly of our recent install. Our cameras were preexisting at this site so don’t know their official install date. But yeah, I’ve been doing a mini risk assessment and passing that up to my chain of command
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am
razr390 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 am

Very true. I do have a detailed First Aid kit spreadsheet, also have one for the access control stuff however mostly of our recent install. Our cameras were preexisting at this site so don’t know their official install date. But yeah, I’ve been doing a mini risk assessment and passing that up to my chain of command
Nice! Get out that ladder and check out your cameras. Make/model/serial number/manufacturer date should all be on the camera. Get that all on the sheet along with location and current firmware installed. Then you can get what firmware they should be on.
Yup, slow and steady. I think I just need to take a deep breath and pace myself as well. As far as camera make model and firmware goes, we have an admin console that basically tells us all of that. But, doing it for myself definitely won’t hurt
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:11 am
razr390 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:06 am

Yup, slow and steady. I think I just need to take a deep breath and pace myself as well. As far as camera make model and firmware goes, we have an admin console that basically tells us all of that. But, doing it for myself definitely won’t hurt
Even if you pull the data from there, it's smart to have it elsewhere
I already have a spreadsheet with camera names, IP’s, etc. so whatever I can pull locally I’ll add to that
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:disappoint:

I feel like in most cases this is directly proportional to company size... that all sounds very corporate.

Having spent most of my careers at companies in about the 100 employee range and now at the 1,000 employee range... 100 is going to be way more engaging/interesting/creative. There is just so much less support from people with dedicated roles at small companies, you have to DIY everything.

I went from a truck driver, engineer, outside sales rep, janitor, carpenter, designer.... to an inside sales rep.

There are advantages to corp. life, it's predictable and easier, pay is good, the resources can be nice. But it is fucking boring.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:26 pm

:disappoint:

I feel like in most cases this is directly proportional to company size... that all sounds very corporate.

Having spent most of my careers at companies in about the 100 employee range and now at the 1,000 employee range... 100 is going to be way more engaging/interesting/creative. There is just so much less support from people with dedicated roles at small companies, you have to DIY everything.

I went from a truck driver, engineer, outside sales rep, janitor, carpenter, designer.... to an inside sales rep.

There are advantages to corp. life, it's predictable and easier, pay is good, the resources can be nice. But it is fucking boring.
I think it's less related to size than to culture. That culture needs to be way more intentional at a bigger company but it absolutely can exist.
:iono: have you worked at a small company ever?

My current place is highly focused on culture whereas the smaller companies I've worked at really weren't. Current place does a pretty good job, but it is still just way more corporate. There's nothing like being someone making say, 5% of the company's shit happen, versus 0.1%.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:14 pm

:iono: have you worked at a small company ever?

My current place is highly focused on culture whereas the smaller companies I've worked at really weren't. Current place does a pretty good job, but it is still just way more corporate. There's nothing like being someone making say, 5% of the company's shit happen, versus 0.1%.
Smallest place I've worked was 35 people. Not for me. Way too many personal politics and bullshit drama. I'm sure it was unique to that place, but I think the same can be said at corporate environments.

I'm also in a very unique role as it spans the organization.

I think being at a higher management level probably makes it a bit more interesting at a corp. I feel like I am just a cog at this place, despite all their cultural efforts and the fact that my boss values me enough to have gone out on a limb to get me stuff when I tried to leave.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm

I think being at a higher management level probably makes it a bit more interesting at a corp. I feel like I am just a cog at this place, despite all their cultural efforts and the fact that my boss values me enough to have gone out on a limb to get me stuff when I tried to leave.
Big orgs are weird. Some people really thrive in the "cog" environment because it makes the stakes low if they do their job well. I personally wouldn't do well with that.

I think part of my "issue" now is also just disassociation with over two months of just sitting at home doing the same shit daily.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm :dat:

Big orgs are weird. Some people really thrive in the "cog" environment because it makes the stakes low if they do their job well. I personally wouldn't do well with that.
Some of it is live to work vs work to live. I'm a great cog because I don't want to have to think about work any more than necessary. Work is for funding life, not for any kind of fulfillment or identity.

Clear direction and expectations are what I prefer. Want me to do other stuff? Tell me. Don't play games and leave me to guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:35 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Some of it is live to work vs work to live. I'm a great cog because I don't want to have to think about work any more than necessary. Work is for funding life, not for any kind of fulfillment or identity.

Clear direction and expectations are what I prefer. Want me to do other stuff? Tell me. Don't play games and leave me to guess.
:notwrong:

But it is really hard to fully disassociate and just not care about over half of my waking hours.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:35 pm
[user not found] wrote:

I need to maximize this. I'm the type that likes to challenge myself to come up with new and better ways to do things, so it's hard to just do EXACTLY what I'm told. But, that's literally all I can do. I tried to break the process and it bit me in the ass. At least I've got some patents, but that's about it.

On one hand, it's a really simple/easy paycheck, but it doesn't fit how I am personally.