Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Funny enough, we actually distribute their product at my current company, so I would probably still work with a few of my current colleagues to some degree if I were to land this.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 am I applied for some jobs today :popcorn:

One is a Field Sales Engineer for Yamaha Pro Audio. I have been a long time user/fan of Yamaha's products, both back when I was a freelance sound engineer (we used a bunch of their mixing desks on the road with NASCAR and I also used them working with many bands) and even at home with their MusicCast (Sonos competing product) that I have in our house. I am pretty excited about this one, although it was just an application submission. I've been searching their site for years waiting for such a position to pop up. :popcorn:
:fuckyeah: That's great, man! Yamaha products are great. I've used only Yamaha receivers for the past 25 years or so. Awesome products.

Good luck!! :like: :like: :like:
Last edited by wap on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 pm Work travel, back in Windsor again tonight. :fancy: dinner option, didn't feel like going out. :scrooge: :foreveralone:

:notbad:

Being self employed, do you bill your T&E to the manufacturer/client, they give a per diem, or is it just built into your fees?
I build 0 hotel for this one.
Last edited by Tar on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 am I applied for some jobs today :popcorn:

One is a Field Sales Engineer for Yamaha Pro Audio. I have been a long time user/fan of Yamaha's products, both back when I was a freelance sound engineer (we used a bunch of their mixing desks on the road with NASCAR and I also used them working with many bands) and even at home with their MusicCast (Sonos competing product) that I have in our house. I am pretty excited about this one, although it was just an application submission. I've been searching their site for years waiting for such a position to pop up. :popcorn:
Oh dang! That sounds :tits: and would be cool if you're down to travel again. :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Friday I also applied to this broadcast hardware company, Lawo, with whom I interviewed for a sales role about a year ago. They have some openings listed, so I figured I would reach back out and mention I would be open to discussing again. They wrote back this AM (they're based in Germany) and said that they liked me last time but found someone more experienced or whatever, but they could still be interested and will discuss this week :popcorn:

It's funny, I'm not really opposed to staying at the current gig, I like the people I work with and the WFH setup is rather chill, I'm just bored as hell basically. So regardless of what happens, I'm fine with staying, but curious to see if these go anywhere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, seem to be getting the cold shoulder from all of the above :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm

Well, seem to be getting the cold shoulder from all of the above :ohwell:
I apply to 3-5 jobs per week casually and hear nothing back. I think that's just how it is now.

But it only takes one to hit, so it's worth the effort IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Depends what I guess...I am so understaffed and we cant hire fast enough. Somewhat specialized but damn, kinda surprised to hear the difference.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:08 pm Depends what I guess...I am so understaffed and we cant hire fast enough. Somewhat specialized but damn, kinda surprised to hear the difference.
We’ve had a hard time as well in some areas, it really depends on industry/profession right now. Some stuff is in huge demand, some things are in the toilet (anything related to live production for example).

This is why I am kind of surprised in haven’t heard back from Yamaha :doe: If they’re getting the same candidates we are, I’m the best they’ve got. It’s still early though 🤞

Maybe I’m just meant to stay here, 2021 should be a nice pay year again here.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Well..... back to looking seriously for a job, as my witch of a boss decided today to pull the trigger and let me go; despite the glowing reviews from my customers over the last 2 weeks on how I'm handling their accounts and getting them answers and resolutions to issues in timely manners. Even had 2 verbally commit to renewing AND expanding their environments with us. Still, she held a botched maintenance (customers fault) 4 weeks ago against me and told HR of bunch of bullshit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:57 pm Well..... back to looking seriously for a job, as my witch of a boss decided today to pull the trigger and let me go; despite the glowing reviews from my customers over the last 2 weeks on how I'm handling their accounts and getting them answers and resolutions to issues in timely manners. Even had 2 verbally commit to renewing AND expanding their environments with us. Still, she held a botched maintenance (customers fault) 4 weeks ago against me and told HR of bunch of bullshit.
Dang. Sorry mang.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:57 pm Well..... back to looking seriously for a job, as my witch of a boss decided today to pull the trigger and let me go; despite the glowing reviews from my customers over the last 2 weeks on how I'm handling their accounts and getting them answers and resolutions to issues in timely manners. Even had 2 verbally commit to renewing AND expanding their environments with us. Still, she held a botched maintenance (customers fault) 4 weeks ago against me and told HR of bunch of bullshit.
Dang. Sorry mang.
:dat:

Sucks big time, but it looks like there's a number of industries really struggling to find people right now, hopefully you land a better gig quickly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:26 am

Dang. Sorry mang.

Sucks big time, but it looks like there's a number of industries really struggling to find people right now, hopefully you land a better gig quickly.
I've been looking for months since I knew it was coming, and still have only had 4 interviews out of the, probably, 500 applications I've sent out. It's a rough time to be looking in general, as employers are able to be SUPER picky, and incredibly unrealistic in their requirements. Saw a posting for a spot that DEMANDED 20 years of experience, with a max pay of $20 an hour for a 40 hour a week job.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:48 am

I've been looking for months since I knew it was coming, and still have only had 4 interviews out of the, probably, 500 applications I've sent out. It's a rough time to be looking in general, as employers are able to be SUPER picky, and incredibly unrealistic in their requirements. Saw a posting for a spot that DEMANDED 20 years of experience, with a max pay of $20 an hour for a 40 hour a week job.
What field are you in? Pm if you don’t want to post it publicly.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea...I've been applying to jobs like crazy for months too, with little to no response from anywhere. I assumed it was my :bs: job experience that's way too focused and niche, but sad to hear it's expanded to other fields/industries.

Just keep applying, something will hit eventually. We're here for ya whatever that's worth :sissyfight:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am

Current role was in an IT company, mostly focused on Project Management/Project Coordinator type of role
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 am

Yea...I've been applying to jobs like crazy for months too, with little to no response from anywhere. I assumed it was my :bs: job experience that's way too focused and niche, but sad to hear it's expanded to other fields/industries.

Just keep applying, something will hit eventually. We're here for ya whatever that's worth :sissyfight:
Yea, it's rough. I've got a few different head hunters I've been in direct contact with, it's just a SLOW process. Another member of my team was let go on July 4th and he's still without a job either. Nervous cause I can't be without something that long with the wife and kiddo; we need that second income.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:18 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am

Current role was in an IT company, mostly focused on Project Management/Project Coordinator type of role
Dude, IT project management? There should be plenty of opportunity for that, especially as companies move to more permanent remote work, IT infrastructure will need beefing.

I've got a buddy in that field, they're doing the IT work for Ford assembly plants right now...he said they're crazy busy and he's overworked because they can't find any other project managers. Granted, need to be onsite in Michigan, so it won't work for you, but the point is you should be able to find something. It's a slog though, I get that.
ChrisoftheNorth

And feel good knowing you're not in the most niche worthless field in the world of automotive product planning. Holy hell am I screwed.

Costco receipt checker is my next likely step. I'm OK with that.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:18 am

Dude, IT project management? There should be plenty of opportunity for that, especially as companies move to more permanent remote work, IT infrastructure will need beefing.

I've got a buddy in that field, they're doing the IT work for Ford assembly plants right now...he said they're crazy busy and he's overworked because they can't find any other project managers. Granted, need to be onsite in Michigan, so it won't work for you, but the point is you should be able to find something. It's a slog though, I get that.
The problem is though I don't have my PMP and don't have enough hours on projects to even qualify to start the process to get it. I'm kind of in between a rock and hard place right now. I've got feelers out in multiple fields to see what pops.
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am And feel good knowing you're not in the most niche worthless field in the world of automotive product planning. Holy hell am I screwed.

I'm also aware that I'm not too good to go back to retail and work at a big box store for awhile if needed. It's not ideal, but damn if I'm gonna sit on my ass while waiting for something to break my way.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

PMs are pretty saturated right now, as well as a ton of freelance/consult work so its a tough one to get into. We were able to find and contract a PM in 2 days, with a pool of probably 60-70 qualified people at the drop of a hat.

My dad was an IT PM for about 30 years. The last 5-10 were always a struggle to find ongoing work, to the point where he just said fuck it and retired. Most of the work was offshored or nearshored. Our PM we just hired is nearshored in CA, she is cheap but still 15 years of really solid experience. Its tough out there man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dang. Sorry mang.

From what I've seen, there are tons of entry level jobs (like up to $45K/year) out there that have been vacated/tough to fill due to all of the stimulus (I am guessing that's the reason?). In higher level roles it seems much tougher as a lot of people are kind of hunkering down and holding on to their jobs in times of uncertainty. This is just my anecdotal observation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am

The problem is though I don't have my PMP and don't have enough hours on projects to even qualify to start the process to get it. I'm kind of in between a rock and hard place right now. I've got feelers out in multiple fields to see what pops.
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am And feel good knowing you're not in the most niche worthless field in the world of automotive product planning. Holy hell am I screwed.

I'm also aware that I'm not too good to go back to retail and work at a big box store for awhile if needed. It's not ideal, but damn if I'm gonna sit on my ass while waiting for something to break my way.
I hope that you're able to find something good, man! That is a rough spot to be in, but it will end up working out in the long run.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Welp, Monday the 26th is my start date! :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm Welp, Monday the 26th is my start date! :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: congrats man! Hopefully you can enjoy this last week with as little stress as possible.