At least it's an easy decision.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:58 pm :flaccid:

At least it's an easy decision.
:dat:
The stupid cow made it very easy for you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 am

The mature part of me (still a small part) is fearful of the possibility of your relationship probably tanking if you start traveling at the SSL rate again.

Your girl is obviously very happy that you aren’t traveling anymore. Now that you’re in a very committed relationship, you shouldn’t be making a decision only for yourself but for the unit.

Eeyore but true
Nah, she's cool with it. This wouldn't be 100% travel like that, probably 50% travel, 50% WFH. She is pretty supportive of it all and has been :sad: to see me be rather unhappy at work. Also, we dated for three years while I was traveling every week and got to the engaged point through all of that. It has its challenges but it works. Seeing someone every day also has its challenges :lolol:

I mean if CF happen, it could be different, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Then do it. Dan, you have been bitching about that cube since you first landed there. Maturely bitching, but bitching. If your lady supports this, and TBH there is NOTHING WRONG with not seeing you SO every effing day, it can really work for many relationships. Do it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Nah, she's cool with it. This wouldn't be 100% travel like that, probably 50% travel, 50% WFH. She is pretty supportive of it all and has been :sad: to see me be rather unhappy at work. Also, we dated for three years while I was traveling every week and got to the engaged point through all of that. It has its challenges but it works. Seeing someone every day also has its challenges :lolol:

I mean if CF happen, it could be different, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Then do it. Dan, you have been bitching about that cube since you first landed there. Maturely bitching, but bitching. If your lady supports this, and TBH there is NOTHING WRONG with not seeing you SO every effing day, it can really work for many relationships. Do it.
All of :dat:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm So I walked in and immediately remembered why I felt like I had to leave that place in the first place. It's dingy, dark (and it's a 30 foot tall glass fronted building) and full of miserable looking drones in cheap polo shirts, arguing over $5 coupons and slinging $50 oil changes. I looked at my old desk and the memories of the chaos that place was just came flooding back. This was going to be a tough sell for even myself as I kept remembering all these stupid little things.

I was kept waiting 20 minutes past our scheduled time and was in the middle of drafting an email saying "thanks but I'm leaving" when my old service manager came out and brought me in.

Sat down and immediately gets off to a bad start when she tells me she didn't have time to look at the personality test and struggles to pull out my resume. Her office is chaos with papers and reports everywhere, and when she pulls it out she again mentions the same "I need an experienced, well rounded candidate that's ready to go" spiel. We go back and forth with the usual questions, and she ends with "so, Jim, why should I hire you again?".

To which I responded - without skipping a beat - "You shouldn't, because I can tell already this isn't going to work the way you need it to, and it'll likely be a disaster". My old service manager tried hard to hide his laughter but couldn't. (On our last call on Tuesday evening we had a discussion about our names, where I mentioned I prefer James vs Jim for various reasons, and she mentioned she was the same way with Patti vs Pat. I've had this conversation with ANYONE that's ever asked me if I have a preference, and I've found it's a handy personality test of my own.)

At this point I just decided I wanted to prod a little further, especially with my old manager there.

She's obviously in over her head and wants/needs someone turnkey that can come in and do her job for her while she pores over the numbers to figure out how to fix it. She doesn't have much of a plan in place right now because she needs to figure out where the weaknesses are. It's rough. They're 3500 repair orders behind pace YTD vs last year, and that was after a 10% drop over my last year there. They're losing customers from both stores north of Philly, and the market is so saturated with dealers up there - 6 Toyota dealers in a <30 minute drive - they're really struggling to claw them back and have basically been throwing discounts and coupons at the problem to get cars through the door... so they've been trying to improve all of the metrics and shooting themselves in both feet trying to do it.

I ended up talking shop with my old manager for a few minutes and largely ignored the "interview"... It's more of a mess than I even thought it could be, but it seems they've finally woken up and realized how bad it is.

She finished by offering me a job as an advisor and an open door policy with the managers so I can start learning what I'm missing. "Well, to be honest if you're down 20 cars a day and the pay plan hasn't changed, I don't really think coming back is a smart financial decision until I see what direction you're moving this place".

Not meant to be.
:nuke:

Glad you explored it and glad the decision was an easy one.
:dat: Better to not ask "what if" later. This sounds :notbad: despite being :nuke:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm So I walked in and immediately remembered why I felt like I had to leave that place in the first place. It's dingy, dark (and it's a 30 foot tall glass fronted building) and full of miserable looking drones in cheap polo shirts, arguing over $5 coupons and slinging $50 oil changes. I looked at my old desk and the memories of the chaos that place was just came flooding back. This was going to be a tough sell for even myself as I kept remembering all these stupid little things.

I was kept waiting 20 minutes past our scheduled time and was in the middle of drafting an email saying "thanks but I'm leaving" when my old service manager came out and brought me in.

Sat down and immediately gets off to a bad start when she tells me she didn't have time to look at the personality test and struggles to pull out my resume. Her office is chaos with papers and reports everywhere, and when she pulls it out she again mentions the same "I need an experienced, well rounded candidate that's ready to go" spiel. We go back and forth with the usual questions, and she ends with "so, Jim, why should I hire you again?".

To which I responded - without skipping a beat - "You shouldn't, because I can tell already this isn't going to work the way you need it to, and it'll likely be a disaster". My old service manager tried hard to hide his laughter but couldn't. (On our last call on Tuesday evening we had a discussion about our names, where I mentioned I prefer James vs Jim for various reasons, and she mentioned she was the same way with Patti vs Pat. I've had this conversation with ANYONE that's ever asked me if I have a preference, and I've found it's a handy personality test of my own.)

At this point I just decided I wanted to prod a little further, especially with my old manager there.

She's obviously in over her head and wants/needs someone turnkey that can come in and do her job for her while she pores over the numbers to figure out how to fix it. She doesn't have much of a plan in place right now because she needs to figure out where the weaknesses are. It's rough. They're 3500 repair orders behind pace YTD vs last year, and that was after a 10% drop over my last year there. They're losing customers from both stores north of Philly, and the market is so saturated with dealers up there - 6 Toyota dealers in a <30 minute drive - they're really struggling to claw them back and have basically been throwing discounts and coupons at the problem to get cars through the door... so they've been trying to improve all of the metrics and shooting themselves in both feet trying to do it.

I ended up talking shop with my old manager for a few minutes and largely ignored the "interview"... It's more of a mess than I even thought it could be, but it seems they've finally woken up and realized how bad it is.

She finished by offering me a job as an advisor and an open door policy with the managers so I can start learning what I'm missing. "Well, to be honest if you're down 20 cars a day and the pay plan hasn't changed, I don't really think coming back is a smart financial decision until I see what direction you're moving this place".

Not meant to be.
WOW.

The name screw up thing is so stupid, how hard is it to remember a standard name of someone who's resume you've presumably viewed many times, you've had many conversations with... :wtf: Sounds like things are :doomed: Sorry it's not working out as I know you have been ready to :nope: out of Porsche, but you're definitely making the right call.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 pm

The candid advice is appreciated. I guess all that's left now is wait :popcorn:

In the short term, I get to go to Disneyland on a work trip week after next :notsure:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:19 am
WOW.

The name screw up thing is so stupid, how hard is it to remember a standard name of someone who's resume you've presumably viewed many times, you've had many conversations with... :wtf: Sounds like things are :doomed: Sorry it's not working out as I know you have been ready to :nope: out of Porsche, but you're definitely making the right call.
If anything it's been nice to put myself into a different mindset and really kind of assess where I am. The perspective has definitely helped. Simply walking into that place sucked the life out of me again.

I'm really just frustrated at the Porsche gig right now because all of my job growth is dependent on the continually delayed new car showroom. Compensation level at the Toyota gig would have been only about a 3-5% raise, trading the awful commute for a ton of headaches at work and something nice to put on a resume. Taking a step back, the job I have right now is pretty solid. It's just stagnant because we are effectively at maximum shop capacity and everything hinges on the new building.

And because the world works in mysterious ways, our unofficially official local franchise of an Italian supercar company not called Ferrari was formally approved today, which may present an opportunity to "grab the bull by the horns" and give me an option to chase there. If you catch my drift.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm
WOW.

If anything it's been nice to put myself into a different mindset and really kind of assess where I am. The perspective has definitely helped. Simply walking into that place sucked the life out of me again.

I'm really just frustrated at the Porsche gig right now because all of my job growth is dependent on the continually delayed new car showroom. Compensation level at the Toyota gig would have been only about a 3-5% raise, trading the awful commute for a ton of headaches at work and something nice to put on a resume. Taking a step back, the job I have right now is pretty solid. It's just stagnant because we are effectively at maximum shop capacity and everything hinges on the new building.

And because the world works in mysterious ways, our unofficially official local franchise of an Italian supercar company not called Ferrari was formally approved today, which may present an opportunity to "grab the bull by the horns" and give me an option to chase there. If you catch my drift.
Player Three enters the game.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm
WOW.

:ohdang:
:fuckyeah:
Shall we call you Lambo Calrissian?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

This Urus is Yours.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, this has escalated quickly, I'll be traveling out to New Bern, NC on Thursday evening and spending the day at the potential new company Friday.

:popcorn:
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 pm Well, this has escalated quickly, I'll be traveling out to New Bern, NC on Thursday evening and spending the day at the potential new company Friday.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Apex

Starting to settle in at the new gig. People are really nice, and my team seems pretty cool. I bring a set of very complimentary skills to what the existing people have.

This was absolutely a solid move for me.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig. People are really nice, and my team seems pretty cool. I bring a set of very complimentary skills to what the existing people have.

:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig. People are really nice, and my team seems pretty cool. I bring a set of very complimentary skills to what the existing people have.

A lot of times the first couple of months in a new environment feel pretty tough so that’s awesome that it’s a direct fit.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 am

A lot of times the first couple of months in a new environment feel pretty tough so that’s awesome that it’s a direct fit.
:dat: :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Dat was one of the worries I had in the back of my mind. But it’s all working out well. Much :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 am

Dat was one of the worries I had in the back of my mind. But it’s all working out well. Much :fuckyeah:
I have had five "real jobs" from age 21-30 and I think I've hated the first month at all but one of them (which was working as a freelance sound engineer).
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 am Dat was one of the worries I had in the back of my mind. But it’s all working out well. Much :fuckyeah:
I have had five "real jobs" from age 21-30 and I think I've hated the first month at all but one of them (which was working as a freelance sound engineer).
Opposite for me. First month was interesting and challenging to get up to speed, after that each job was easy and boring. Dem entry level grunt jobs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 am
D Griff wrote:
Opposite for me. First month was interesting and challenging to get up to speed, after that each job was easy and boring. Dem entry level grunt jobs.
That's this job... haven't really liked it all that much at any point but now it's just boring as hell. I still can't believe I'm getting paid this much for something a moran could do :doe: .
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Why can't I seem to get a normal fucking job?

Startup company is emailing me a ton of engineering design files. Yet there has been no W-4, no pre-employment physical information, no other communication aside from "we are working on getting you a company phone and computer."

:yeahok: I'll start work when I know you're going to pay me.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm Why can't I seem to get a normal fucking job?

Startup company is emailing me a ton of engineering design files. Yet there has been no W-4, no pre-employment physical information, no other communication aside from "we are working on getting you a company phone and computer."

:yeahok: I'll start work when I know you're going to pay me.
:dat: :dat: :dat: