Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 am
Very interesting.

Everyone being old could mean opportunities in the future when they retire/die. That's assuming the company HAS a future to run. Olds can also let products and services get outdated and that lack of strategic planning could eventually be the end of the company. Especially without much diversity, I could see concerns. I often feel this way at car companies. Olds just really struggle with modern innovation.

You absolutely should hear out the other company. weigh all your options before making a decision.
Was going to post this almost word for word. It's both an opportunity and a risk.
So to further question what's going on at the other company... I have an interview via GoToMeeting tomorrow at 10 AM. The headquarters is in Germany but their US office is in Los Angeles. I'll actually be in Anaheim later this week and could go meet them on Friday. Is it appropriate to pitch this to them?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:08 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 am

Was going to post this almost word for word. It's both an opportunity and a risk.
So to further question what's going on at the other company... I have an interview via GoToMeeting tomorrow at 10 AM. The headquarters is in Germany but their US office is in Los Angeles. I'll actually be in Anaheim later this week and could go meet them on Friday. Is it appropriate to pitch this to them?
I don't see how it could possibly hurt...it shows you're actively interested in the opportunity.

But also don't take it personally if they decline. It's very likely that they're following an interview process, and possible they want to see how you handle yourself in a remote environment since that's what you'll be working in.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:08 pm

I don't see how it could possibly hurt...it shows you're actively interested in the opportunity.

But also don't take it personally if they decline. It's very likely that they're following an interview process, and possible they want to see how you handle yourself in a remote environment since that's what you'll be working in.
:word:

Thanks for the pro tips. Hopefully they'll accept. A big thing for me would be actually seeing the products, which is tough to do given the industry is so small. I'd assume most of the people that would need to talk to me are in Germany though, it's likely they only have 20ish employees here.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the pro tips. Hopefully they'll accept. A big thing for me would be actually seeing the products, which is tough to do given the industry is so small. I'd assume most of the people that would need to talk to me are in Germany though, it's likely they only have 20ish employees here.
If believing in the product is an important consideration for you (and I can totally see how it could be, you want to believe in what you sell), then mention that during your interview tomorrow and offer to visit the LA office when you're there later this week. Something like "to get a better understanding of the company's products" or something. No way could this hurt you.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Looks like they have a nY office as well and I'll be there next weekend... so I'm sure I'll manage to get there one way or another if they want to move forward with me. Hopefully Wheatstone drags their feet with my offer to buy me more time.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:00 pm Looks like they have a nY office as well and I'll be there next weekend... so I'm sure I'll manage to get there one way or another if they want to move forward with me. Hopefully Wheatstone drags their feet with my offer to buy me more time.
Nice. I would absolutely mention this in your interview...you're interest to get hands on with the product if possible during future rounds. The fact that you'll pay for your own travel (because you're already going to be there) shows strong initiative.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm

If anything it's been nice to put myself into a different mindset and really kind of assess where I am. The perspective has definitely helped. Simply walking into that place sucked the life out of me again.

I'm really just frustrated at the Porsche gig right now because all of my job growth is dependent on the continually delayed new car showroom. Compensation level at the Toyota gig would have been only about a 3-5% raise, trading the awful commute for a ton of headaches at work and something nice to put on a resume. Taking a step back, the job I have right now is pretty solid. It's just stagnant because we are effectively at maximum shop capacity and everything hinges on the new building.

And because the world works in mysterious ways, our unofficially official local franchise of an Italian supercar company not called Ferrari was formally approved today, which may present an opportunity to "grab the bull by the horns" and give me an option to chase there. If you catch my drift.
:ohdang:
:fuckyeah:
Shall we call you Lambo Calrissian?
:amazing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm
And because the world works in mysterious ways, our unofficially official local franchise of an Italian supercar company not called Ferrari was formally approved today, which may present an opportunity to "grab the bull by the horns" and give me an option to chase there. If you catch my drift.
I hear the Italian Audi is a cool product.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Griff, you are in a situation that’s called “a good problem to have”

Usually when it rains it pours, doe. I echo Detroit’s feedback. One thing I would keep in mind is the smaller place in Bern May be a good short term and you could definitely establish yourself there and maybe get into a leadership role once the olds retire or die.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm Griff, you are in a situation that’s called “a good problem to have”

Usually when it rains it pours, doe. I echo Detroit’s feedback. One thing I would keep in mind is the smaller place in Bern May be a good short term and you could definitely establish yourself there and maybe get into a leadership role once the olds retire or die.
Thanks, :bruh:

Well, the thing is, at that company I'd probably report to the owner :lolol: or maybe one guy in between. I'm not sure anxious to get into management anywhere, sales pays just as well and there's less :dealwithit: Also I'm hoping wherever I land next is a good fit where I can sit back and just work at the same place for 5+ years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Update:

I still haven't heard from Wheatstone, the NC based company I interviewed with on Friday.

I just had my first phone interview with Lawo, another broadcast audio console manufacturer, German based. She told me she's recommending me for the next stages and I'll have an interview with the North American Sales Manager next week (I think he's based in Toronto). My initial feels on Lawo are :fuckyeah: . They are truly at the top of the game with some seriously epic tech and providing consoles for the largest productions such as the super bowl.

:popcorn:

I hope Wheatstone continues to drag their feet, as I don't want to turn them down by any means, but would like to see this through and probably would lean towards Lawo if I got an offer from both.

Or jokes on me and they both tell me to pound sand, but at least I have a job here.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:38 am Update:

I still haven't heard from Wheatstone, the NC based company I interviewed with on Friday.

I just had my first phone interview with Lawo, another broadcast audio console manufacturer, German based. She told me she's recommending me for the next stages and I'll have an interview with the North American Sales Manager next week (I think he's based in Toronto). My initial feels on Lawo are :fuckyeah: . They are truly at the top of the game with some seriously epic tech and providing consoles for the largest productions such as the super bowl.

:popcorn:

I hope Wheatstone continues to drag their feet, as I don't want to turn them down by any means, but would like to see this through and probably would lean towards Lawo if I got an offer from both.

Or jokes on me and they both tell me to pound sand, but at least I have a job here.
:fuckyeah: :popcorn:

You're in the best position possible for a new job.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I got the offer from Wheatstone... it was quite weird, they just called me with it and weren't even going to send over a letter. I requested that and am now awaiting seeing it.

They came pretty much out of the blue and said that this is contingent on me relocating to New Bern and working at the factory/office. They did offer $10K for relocation but I just don't think I'm into small town life, plus obviously the fiancee works and loves her job here.

Salary is about 30% higher than my current base, commission is 1% of revenue sold up to $2 million then 2% after that, plus some bonuses. Hard to really say what pay would wind up being but definitely less than what I'm making now as I'm making more than my base salary in commish. It also sounds like benefits/time off aren't as good as my current employer.

All in all I do think I'd enjoy the work more, but I feel I'll have to walk away from this and hope the company I spoke to this morning works out or just stay where I'm at. We'll see what the actual letter looks like though.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm I got the offer from Wheatstone... it was quite weird, they just called me with it and weren't even going to send over a letter. I requested that and am now awaiting seeing it.

They came pretty much out of the blue and said that this is contingent on me relocating to New Bern and working at the factory/office. They did offer $10K for relocation but I just don't think I'm into small town life, plus obviously the fiancee works and loves her job here.

Salary is about 30% higher than my current base, commission is 1% of revenue sold up to $2 million then 2% after that, plus some bonuses. Hard to really say what pay would wind up being but definitely less than what I'm making now as I'm making more than my base salary in commish. It also sounds like benefits/time off aren't as good as my current employer.

All in all I do think I'd enjoy the work more, but I feel I'll have to walk away from this and hope the company I spoke to this morning works out or just stay where I'm at. We'll see what the actual letter looks like though.
Too bad Griff.

When are companies going to figure out location doesn't matter anymore?
If you don't spend at least 2 hours a day in a hellish commute then you are un-American.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:50 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm I got the offer from Wheatstone... it was quite weird, they just called me with it and weren't even going to send over a letter. I requested that and am now awaiting seeing it.

Too bad Griff.

When are companies going to figure out location doesn't matter anymore?
Especially with a traveling sales job, being driving distance to the factory but also close to a major airport and a city that actually has potential customers seems like a good thing to me. Maybe they don’t want to pay travel expenses for me to visit regularly?

I wrote back and said I need some time to consider the relocation, they said the offer is good through September 20th so I have time to see how the other opp pans out, if it doesn’t perhaps I’ll counter the offer with I’ll do it from Charlotte.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm .

Dang, sounds like relocation is full :nope: for you. Sounds like you have a good plan though with other offer and counter.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:20 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm .

Dang, sounds like relocation is full :nope: for you. Sounds like you have a good plan though with other offer and counter.
Well... kind of a tough pill to swallow when the fiancée has a job she loves that pays more than what she’s likely be able to get out there, we’re in a city we enjoy, and there’s no indication that this job would actually pay me more than I make now, almost guaranteed to be less in the beginning. We could get a sweet house out there though, waterfront with views and garage for under $300k.

I just don’t think we’re small town people though, maybe like 20 years further into life.

I like being around people and we have friends and family in Charlotte, it would be hard to meet new people in a small town.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 am

Well... kind of a tough pill to swallow when the fiancée has a job she loves that pays more than what she’s likely be able to get out there, we’re in a city we enjoy, and there’s no indication that this job would actually pay me more than I make now, almost guaranteed to be less in the beginning. We could get a sweet house out there though, waterfront with views and garage for under $300k.

I just don’t think we’re small town people though, maybe like 20 years further into life.

I like being around people and we have friends and family in Charlotte, it would be hard to meet new people in a small town.
A job would have to be :unicorn: status for me to relocate in your position man. This sounds like it has potential, but :unicorn: it is not.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:23 am

A job would have to be :unicorn: status for me to relocate in your position man. This sounds like it has potential, but :unicorn: it is not.
:dat:

Your gut is a strong indicator and should be followed on this. Seems like a wash in all terms. Living in a cool city and getting paid well tend to outweigh job comfort, challenge and satisfaction imo.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I heard back from ze Germans today, they are scheduling another call for me with the North American sales director and VP of Sales :fuckyeah: . I am going to see how that goes before even reengaging with the NC company (they said to take my time considering the relocation). I figure once I see where ze German job goes, I will tall the NC company I don't want to relocate and see if they make me an offer without it. The more I think about it, the more I think it might just be better to stay here than go to the NC company. The German company seems like it would be awesome :doe:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

This is the definition of a good problem to have.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice work on all of this brah! You are waging battle on three fronts and winning on all of them!

Gotta say that New Bern looks like a nice small town to be in in. Coastal living with a real job!

It seems like you have identified the clear and present danger here..........relocating your woman from a job she is happy with. There is epic trouble that could come from that without full disclosure and a joint decision WRITTEN IN THE BLOOD OF BOTH PARTIES. Nothing less will do.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm :word:

I heard back from ze Germans today, they are scheduling another call for me with the North American sales director and VP of Sales :fuckyeah: . I am going to see how that goes before even reengaging with the NC company (they said to take my time considering the relocation). I figure once I see where ze German job goes, I will tall the NC company I don't want to relocate and see if they make me an offer without it. The more I think about it, the more I think it might just be better to stay here than go to the NC company. The German company seems like it would be awesome :doe:
It's rad that they're giving you a lot of time to consider, so you can weigh all options and see how things shake out with other companies. Excellent that things are progressing with Ze Germans.

Also, breh could not be more correct. If you decide to relocate without consent written in blood from :tits: , you're :doomed:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

People with an email signature that takes up the whole page. Ytho.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm People with an email signature that takes up the whole page. Ytho.
I don't even have an email signature. I just type my first name or first initial at the end. Done.