Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

That's this job... haven't really liked it all that much at any point but now it's just boring as hell. I still can't believe I'm getting paid this much for something a moran could do :doe: .
Don't sell yourself short. You're a really smart smart guy so it might seem simple to you but definitely not to a real dummy.

Also, that means ask for more at the next place.
Thanks man. I mean you're right, I think I've done well here due to my good technical background, a lot of the salespeople here don't really understand how everything works all that well which makes it hard.

That being said, y previous job was way more difficult in basically every way for half the pay... it was far more enjoyable though.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

That's this job... haven't really liked it all that much at any point but now it's just boring as hell. I still can't believe I'm getting paid this much for something a moran could do :doe: .
Don't sell yourself short. You're a really smart smart guy so it might seem simple to you but definitely not to a real dummy.

Also, that means ask for more at the next place.
:dat:

the mouth breathers live among us, even if you arent aware.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm Why can't I seem to get a normal fucking job?

Startup company is emailing me a ton of engineering design files. Yet there has been no W-4, no pre-employment physical information, no other communication aside from "we are working on getting you a company phone and computer."

:yeahok: I'll start work when I know you're going to pay me.
Wat
Honestly been considering rescinding my offer, because all this is just fucking weird. I get that it's a startup company so I have to give them some slack, but this is just getting odd at this point.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm Why can't I seem to get a normal fucking job?

Startup company is emailing me a ton of engineering design files. Yet there has been no W-4, no pre-employment physical information, no other communication aside from "we are working on getting you a company phone and computer."

:yeahok: I'll start work when I know you're going to pay me.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
Its been crickets on every other job :sad:
Same shit happened to me in 2009. 500 resumes sent out, 2 responses saying I'm not being considered, radio silence on the other 498.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig. People are really nice, and my team seems pretty cool. I bring a set of very complimentary skills to what the existing people have.

This was absolutely a solid move for me.
:megusta: time to reward yourself
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bronson
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig. People are really nice, and my team seems pretty cool. I bring a set of very complimentary skills to what the existing people have.

This was absolutely a solid move for me.
Bronson seemed too stuck to the ground when I demo’d it at Six Mile. :notsure:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Honestly been considering rescinding my offer, because all this is just fucking weird. I get that it's a startup company so I have to give them some slack, but this is just getting odd at this point.
Have you researched the principals?
Backed by people with plenty of oil experience. I don't think funding is an issue. I'd only be sticking around for one year to build their plant and then :nope: out because I don't have any desire to run that place.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Bronson seemed too stuck to the ground when I demo’d it at Six Mile. :notsure:
Yeah, that's a big rear travel bike problem. Gotta overcome all that suspension travel before you get it in the air.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Backed by people with plenty of oil experience. I don't think funding is an issue. I'd only be sticking around for one year to build their plant and then :nope: out because I don't have any desire to run that place.
Man you'd think they would have experience in like... Paying people
:dat: :wtf:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

even just sending out design specific files to an unsecured/controlled email.... :wtf:
Johnny_P

It almost feels like these people have other jobs and this "company" is a side gig at best. I emailed my future boss asking if there was something I needed to do, any specific company policies I needed to know about prior to our first meetings, requirements for coming on site such as PPE (hard hat, gloves, steel toe boots maybe?) and pre-employment bs like drug test and paperwork.

His response was "I'm on vacation I'll look into it later. You can email XXXX and XXXX, too."

lol. ok. And they want my SSN in an email to start an online onboarding process. Like that could have been communicated about 3 weeks ago? So when am I doing a physical or drug test thing? Never? Because I'm not just sitting around I'll be gone for a long weekend starting tomorrow and then start work on Monday.

:gaydance:

If they're this uncoordinated bringing one single person onboard how bad will it be to build a plant with these people? Threw in a few more applications at other companies yesterday.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 am

even just sending out design specific files to an unsecured/controlled email.... :wtf:
Yeah. They're zipped PDFs being emailed around that are like 20 megs each. It's like they've never heard of secure file sharing or anything.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Oil people tho. They're good at making money, bigger companies are good at offering a bunch of money. None of them are good at being good employers.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 pm

It almost feels like these people have other jobs and this "company" is a side gig at best. I emailed my future boss asking if there was something I needed to do, any specific company policies I needed to know about prior to our first meetings, requirements for coming on site such as PPE (hard hat, gloves, steel toe boots maybe?) and pre-employment bs like drug test and paperwork.

His response was "I'm on vacation I'll look into it later. You can email XXXX and XXXX, too."

lol. ok. And they want my SSN in an email to start an online onboarding process. Like that could have been communicated about 3 weeks ago? So when am I doing a physical or drug test thing? Never? Because I'm not just sitting around I'll be gone for a long weekend starting tomorrow and then start work on Monday.

If they're this uncoordinated bringing one single person onboard how bad will it be to build a plant with these people? Threw in a few more applications at other companies yesterday.
Hopefully they suck equally at firing, so you can just sit around and apply for other jobs whilst collecting a check from these clowns.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Hopefully they suck equally at firing, so you can just sit around and apply for other jobs whilst collecting a check from these clowns.
:whocares:
Johnny_P

New boss:

"Good morning checking in... blah blah blah get up to speed on engineering documents and such. Been some developments we are chaning our products we can talk about it at the airport...."

:wat:

"Oh nobody told you? We are flying to Houston tomorrow morning."

At 6:30 AM

"And getting back at 4:30 PM FRIDAY"

:wat: :wat: :wat:

Bro I'm getting married in 2 weeks I have shit to figure out and also I accepted the job a month and a half ago I could have maybe been told about this by somebody in the company?

:rage:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:wtf:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Yeah, that's a no from me.
Johnny_P

So the real question is, do I dump this and just keep looking or what
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm New boss:

"Good morning checking in... blah blah blah get up to speed on engineering documents and such. Been some developments we are chaning our products we can talk about it at the airport...."

Bro I'm getting married in 2 weeks I have shit to figure out and also I accepted the job a month and a half ago I could have maybe been told about this by somebody in the company?

are you being paid yet? :wtf:

that better be a paid trip to houston. you also better get some ground rules and expectations down real soon.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

so... what about your interview
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

so... what about your interview
:dat:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

that better be a paid trip to houston. you also better get some ground rules and expectations down real soon.
Today is first day I'm being "paid" theoretically. I think its typically 2 pay cycles before you see a check though. Yes fully paid for trip to Houston.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:53 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Today is first day I'm being "paid" theoretically. I think its typically 2 pay cycles before you see a check though. Yes fully paid for trip to Houston.
If U wanna hang out come make the 2.5 hour drive out
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

That level of disorganization is a :hellno: for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.