Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:56 am Friday I get to drive to Allentown for an all day meeting that starts at 8AM.
Allentown is a 1.5-2 hour drive away. 130 miles round trip. Half a tank in gas and around $12 in tolls that I won't be reimbursed for.

FML.
Do you WFH for this job or go to an office daily for this gig? IIRC New Jersey somewhere? Seems like a really bizarre company.
WFH with rando meetings all over the place. Our general contractor is in Perth Amboy, basically Newark/NYC area. Our job site is close to Philly but in NJ. One of our engineering firms is in south Jersey. This Allentown meeting is effectively our landlord's head office. If we ever actually start this project, the norm will be a 20-30 min drive to the job site in South Jersey but until that happens it's WFH/randos.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Do you WFH for this job or go to an office daily for this gig? IIRC New Jersey somewhere? Seems like a really bizarre company.
WFH with rando meetings all over the place. Our general contractor is in Perth Amboy, basically Newark/NYC area. Our job site is close to Philly but in NJ. One of our engineering firms is in south Jersey. This Allentown meeting is effectively our landlord's head office. If we ever actually start this project, the norm will be a 20-30 min drive to the job site in South Jersey but until that happens it's WFH/randos.
Man... very strange. Why is Philly a hotbed for oil refinement? Seems like high cost real estate for that.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Man... very strange. Why is Philly a hotbed for oil refinement? Seems like high cost real estate for that.
Nation started here bruh. Refineries up this way are old as fuck and closing down, so it's more spread out. There used to be a lot more in this area.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sooo... I'm kinda getting cold feet on this thing, planned start date is 11/18, was going to drop the :nuke: Monday morning (today is last day of our fiscal month and I will be collecting a $13K or so commission check for the month, not risking that). Current company announced new bennies for next year today, as a combined company since our Control4 acquisition. Bennies are significantly better and basically work out to about a 5% raise minimum. On the flip side, the other company's are a pretty big step down - no 401K match, can't contribute for a year, more expensive insurance that's not as good, etc. The base salary is about 30% higher at the new job but $13K commission checks are compelling. THis company also has experienced huge growth and I'm on a new team that has nowhere to go but up.

Flip side is, the new company is in an industry I would enjoy much more, a type of work I'd enjoy more... but the professional broadcast industry isn't exactly going to grow...

:iono: :notsure:

A big part of me feels like I'm making a dumb choice.

Such indecision :rolleyes: :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am Sooo... I'm kinda getting cold feet on this thing, planned start date is 11/18, was going to drop the :nuke: Monday morning (today is last day of our fiscal month and I will be collecting a $13K or so commission check for the month, not risking that). Current company announced new bennies for next year today, as a combined company since our Control4 acquisition. Bennies are significantly better and basically work out to about a 5% raise minimum. On the flip side, the other company's are a pretty big step down - no 401K match, can't contribute for a year, more expensive insurance that's not as good, etc. The base salary is about 30% higher at the new job but $13K commission checks are compelling. THis company also has experienced huge growth and I'm on a new team that has nowhere to go but up.

Flip side is, the new company is in an industry I would enjoy much more, a type of work I'd enjoy more... but the professional broadcast industry isn't exactly going to grow...

leaving a lot of money and good bennies is a REAL tough thing to do. You having these mixed emotion is normal and expected.

:dolphin:

I can't speak for your happiness man. Or what its price tag is. The feeling of a work "cage" vs driving around in the bang bus seeing the world is a task only you can grapple with.

I suspect the "cage" feeling will be present at the new gig.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:53 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am Sooo... I'm kinda getting cold feet on this thing, planned start date is 11/18, was going to drop the :nuke: Monday morning (today is last day of our fiscal month and I will be collecting a $13K or so commission check for the month, not risking that). Current company announced new bennies for next year today, as a combined company since our Control4 acquisition. Bennies are significantly better and basically work out to about a 5% raise minimum. On the flip side, the other company's are a pretty big step down - no 401K match, can't contribute for a year, more expensive insurance that's not as good, etc. The base salary is about 30% higher at the new job but $13K commission checks are compelling. THis company also has experienced huge growth and I'm on a new team that has nowhere to go but up.

leaving a lot of money and good bennies is a REAL tough thing to do. You having these mixed emotion is normal and expected.

I can't speak for your happiness man. Or what its price tag is. The feeling of a work "cage" vs driving around in the bang bus seeing the world is a task only you can grapple with.

I mean... it's remote work so I'll be at home or on the road. The office is four hours away and I'd be there maybe 1 week a month or less on average.

But you're right... my issue is that I went from the 911 of jobs to a Miata... it's not terrible and makes sense from a fiscal standpoint, but it'll always be :flaccid: in comparison.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

You’ve proven to yourself that you have the ability to land new jobs. Keep this current one while the commission checks are still good, and then in a year or two or three when you and Allison start popping out :baby: switch to something that you’ll enjoy more and provides more of a base for stability.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

You’re switching jobs in the middle of a mortgage application? :doomed:
That new offer letter better be sufficient to the underwriter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 pm You’re switching jobs in the middle of a mortgage application? :doomed:
Already discussed with them and they said all is good with it. The initial app was made based on my base salary alone with no commission included (and fiancee's income), this job's base is higher, so they said it wouldn't be an issue.

:iono: :doe: having serious second thoughts now.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:31 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 pm You’re switching jobs in the middle of a mortgage application? :doomed:
Already discussed with them and they said all is good with it. The initial app was made based on my base salary alone with no commission included (and fiancee's income), this job's base is higher, so they said it wouldn't be an issue.

:iono: :doe: having serious second thoughts now.
:word:
Just wanted to be sure it was mentioned with the mortgage peeps. The last thing they want to see is a job change or new debt prior to closing.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dude...you're assuming the $13k commission checks are a standard. Sales is very feast or famine, as you know. How will you feel in a year if your commission checks go to $1k or away entirely? Not saying it will happen, but there's a (small) chance of it. The economy is at peak, and there's plenty of downturn indicators.

Assess your current job in a worst case scenario. Money dries up, you're relying on base, and you're working more hours to try to get more. How does that make you feel?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm Dude...you're assuming the $13k commission checks are a standard. Sales is very feast or famine, as you know. How will you feel in a year if your commission checks go to $1k or away entirely? Not saying it will happen, but there's a (small) chance of it. The economy is at peak, and there's plenty of downturn indicators.

Assess your current job in a worst case scenario. Money dries up, you're relying on base, and you're working more hours to try to get more. How does that make you feel?
very good point.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:56 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:53 am

I mean... it's remote work so I'll be at home or on the road. The office is four hours away and I'd be there maybe 1 week a month or less on average.

But you're right... my issue is that I went from the 911 of jobs to a Miata... it's not terrible and makes sense from a fiscal standpoint, but it'll always be :flaccid: in comparison.
re: job happiness.

I deal with that shit and box it up and pack it deep, LIKE A MAN. My feels, in summary, no one is happy going to work in the wheel. Grinding away at your soul. :eeyore: Either you have a :unicorn: gig or youve done it for so long youve lied to yourself enough to feel :thisisfine:

Im too much a free person that could go fuck off all day everyday, help people, build things and travel if money was no object. But thats not realistic and here I am. I pick the job with the level of ability/stress that equates to a comfortable level of pay.

If that scale of pay to bullshit it out of wack :nope: So, as dplac stated, the commission is :waxer: now and you are crushing it. If that did go away, youre BS scale would be off and you'd be running to the exit. I left my last gravy train :waxer: job a TAD prematurely for less hours and headache. I do sometimes miss that $8k-10k/2week check. Money is clearly not your overall goal, but its obviously a variable.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm Dude...you're assuming the $13k commission checks are a standard. Sales is very feast or famine, as you know. How will you feel in a year if your commission checks go to $1k or away entirely? Not saying it will happen, but there's a (small) chance of it. The economy is at peak, and there's plenty of downturn indicators.

:dat: :dat:
Plus, weren't you (Griff) saying that the constant growth scenario at your current gig is unsustainable and next year will likely not be as good?

And also, didn't you already accept the new offer?

IDK man, I'd stick with your original plan and make the switch. You're leaving the 40/52 cube lyfe which you found stifling for being on the road which you prefer.
And remember, the new place came back to you. They obviously want you and that's a terrific position to be in.

Just my $.02
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Yep this company is pretty much fucked.

Sigh. Gotta keep looking.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Griffdawg, what I would say is that you keep mentioning that you don’t rely on the commish checks yet you are using one month’s worth of great commish as a reason to stay. In theory, and ideally, you shouldn’t be basing it on commish at all because one month it can be nonexistent.

You like your current gig ONLY because you are good at sales even doe you hate it and ONLY because you’re getting :waxer: commish checks. That being said, if current gig messed with the commish setup/%/etc would you still find reasons to stay?

It’s definitely a tough decision but a good problem to have (in your current situ). I’d talk to boss bro that was convincing you to stay and tell him to give you a bitchin’ counteroffer in salary + commish.

But then again, posts of your past before this new company/job made current gig seem pretty miserable on the fulfillment side
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 pm Yep this company is pretty much fucked.

:sad:

Move to Tejas bro. Plenty of your field here and not all in H-town.

If you need a place to stay when interviewing in San Antonio lmk
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 pm Yep this company is pretty much fucked.

They love white people in the UAE. The roads are smooth too. Don't think I saw one pothole.

Edit: NVM no mountain biking and stuff there.
razr390

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:02 am

They love white people in the UAE. The roads are smooth too. Don't think I saw one pothole.

Only indoor skiing and base jumping from Burj Khalifa

Oh well
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 am

Oh well
That slope is not bad but over really quickly. I've trying to figure out if disc golf would be viable there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 am

Oh well
That slope is not bad but over really quickly. I've trying to figure out if disc golf would be viable there.
Do you play? You’d love that about Charlotte, we have a ton of courses. I play once in a while.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:disgust:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dblpst
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am

Do you play? You’d love that about Charlotte, we have a ton of courses. I play once in a while.
I do. Not as much this year but I played a couple nice courses in Raleigh and would love to try some in CLT too
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am

I do. Not as much this year but I played a couple nice courses in Raleigh and would love to try some in CLT too
:notbad: come down and we’ll throw discs together :sissyfight: