Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:16 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am

IT/dealership support.?

Helion are based in Mount Laurel (locally).
Well, I can definitely handle installing printers for boomers and clearing cookies. :lol:
Honestly, this could be a pretty solid career move IMO. As Brad said, you clearly have some sort of knack for it based on how well this place runs. That aught to count for something somehow.

I've also been considering learning some coding skills in my downtime. I went from being busy AF to bored as soon as the 20% deferment was announced. I think all the people I work with hit wit's end.

Even if you don't pursue coding, it sure seems like having a baseline skill/understanding of various languages could be useful as the future unfolds. I'm also trying to figure out the best way out of this toxic auto industry.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am
[user not found] wrote:
Well, I can definitely handle installing printers for boomers and clearing cookies. Image
At this rate there won't be any boomers left thanks to coronadome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The world isn't that lucky.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am

I've also been considering learning some coding skills in my downtime. I went from being busy AF to bored as soon as the 20% deferment was announced. I think all the people I work with hit wit's end.

as in your supply of fucks was depleted?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am At this rate there won't be any boomers left thanks to coronadome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yea, we will be left with the worst of them, the healthy over achieving alphas. Just pull yourself up by the bootstraps.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am

I think the collective bucket of fucks was emptied by the deferment with no interest. I still care enough to want to do a good job, but it seems like everyone else is out. 90% of my calls have been cancelled and even my boss has dropped off.

Things are....weird. I get the overwhelming feeling I need to be putting together plan B NOW.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:41 am

I think the collective bucket of fucks was emptied by the deferment with no interest. I still care enough to want to do a good job, but it seems like everyone else is out. 90% of my calls have been cancelled and even my boss has dropped off.

Things are....weird. I get the overwhelming feeling I need to be putting together plan B NOW.
Ejecto seato cuhh
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 am
Yea, we will be left with the worst of them, the healthy over achieving alphas. Just pull yourself up by the bootstraps.
EXACTLY.

Wife had a phone interview yesterday with a plumbing supply company down the street. A "family" company that's been around for 50 years, their office manager for the last 40 years has decided to retire. Hours are 7am-6pm Monday through SATURDAY, one week of vacation, no paid holidays, 10 direct reports, and the salary is $50k/year. They're a "tight nit group that just love what they do" and they "take care of one another".

They're all still in the office right now because "the virus is overblown" and "they're still making a lot of money" and need someone to start right away.

Wife and I had a real good laugh over that one last night.

Those bastards will survive this thing and keep things crappy.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am

Ejecto seato cuhh
Yep, need to start figuring out what that looks like. What sucks is my skillset is really only valued by rather large organizations, so I'm limited in where I can go.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am I get the overwhelming feeling I need to be putting together plan B NOW.
:dat:

I'm on an indefinite layoff, and I've been told that when we reopen I'll be brought back. However, given that I was almost laid off prior to us being shut down, I feel that until business returns in full force, my role is redundant and non-essential and I won't be brought back for a long while. And that's if we reopen by May/June.

Granted, I could milk the government cheddar for the full 39 weeks, but I'd rather not. But I would like to use this forced downtime to start carving a new path out of the :tubeman: facility.
Why not milk the .gov cheddar? You (we all) have paid into the system, might as well get something out of it.

Seems like a prime opportunity to cut a new path to somewhere. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 am
Why not milk the .gov cheddar? You (we all) have paid into the system, might as well get something out of it.

Seems like a prime opportunity to cut a new path to somewhere. :iono:
I man I'm milking it for all it's worth for now, but at some point I've gotta do something - assuming we're not still under lockdown this fall.
Oh, right...don't turn down good work, but also don't be too desperate either.

But yea, nobody knows how long this lockdown will last. That's the biggest unknown.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

We are thinking we might get the wife unit on the dole.

So, uh, what are the requirements for looking for work? Wife is a nurse...so she COULD easily find work but wants no part of working in a covid hospital rn
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Unemployed for the foreseeable few weeks out.

:meatspin: :rage:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 am We are thinking we might get the wife unit on the dole.

So, uh, what are the requirements for looking for work? Wife is a nurse...so she COULD easily find work but wants no part of working in a covid hospital rn
Have to provide proof of your hunting for a job. I suppose proof of applications, searches, etc.

She was previously working prior to the virus, or is she full time stay at home?
Louisiana supposed waived the requirement to search jobs right now. There is a 7 day hold period before you can claim unemployment benefit. Im going through this right now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 am We are thinking we might get the wife unit on the dole.

Have to provide proof of your hunting for a job. I suppose proof of applications, searches, etc.

She was previously working prior to the virus, or is she full time stay at home?
She was working part time PRN (contractor, no benis) 2 days a week. She has specialized in surgery recovery room ops, PACU in the industry speak.

We dont need the money, but we are continuing to pay the daycare that we are not using so it would be nice to get some relief there. I set up a dependant care FSA this year, so I'd rather pay the lady vs loose the money to a black hole (NB: dependant care FSA allows you to pay daycare up to 5k with pretax doll hairs. The catch is its use it or lose it money :doe: )
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

Louisiana supposed waived the requirement to search jobs right now. There is a 7 day hold period before you can claim unemployment benefit. Im going through this right now.
NJ definitely has waived the search requirement - and they waived the hold period, too.

What I don't know is when I'll start getting that extra $600 of government cheese.
In MI, it appears the extra $600 is only for poor people. "Rich" (as determined by income and past tax returns) only get the max of $350/week. It'll cover our basic food expenses I guess.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am

NJ definitely has waived the search requirement - and they waived the hold period, too.

What I don't know is when I'll start getting that extra $600 of government cheese.
In MI, it appears the extra $600 is only for poor people. "Rich" (as determined by income and past tax returns) only get the max of $350/week. It'll cover our basic food expenses I guess.
Dem poor gettin’ richer
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 am
Yeah, we're "poor" I guess.

We file jointly, and thanks to her photography business we've never crested the annual $150k mark. I've got $713/week in my NJ unemployment benefits plus the $600/week of extra federal cheese.

She still needs to navigate the unemployment stuff herself. Contractors and self-employed are only recently eligible for some kind of compensation.
$713/week is :notbad: MI is capped at half...$350.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am I get the overwhelming feeling I need to be putting together plan B NOW.

I'm on an indefinite layoff, and I've been told that when we reopen I'll be brought back. However, given that I was almost laid off prior to us being shut down, I feel that until business returns in full force, my role is redundant and non-essential and I won't be brought back for a long while. And that's if we reopen by May/June.

Granted, I could milk the government cheddar for the full 39 weeks, but I'd rather not. But I would like to use this forced downtime to start carving a new path out of the :tubeman: facility.
:nice:

I think spending the time while you have the .gov ched to develop some additional skillz and forge a new path is smart. I imagine you'd also be good at some kind of digital marketing :dill: We have a large marketing department here, I can tell you that you are more intelligent than most/all of them :lolol:

Some kind of e-commerce marketing could combine your IT skillz with some graphic design and such.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

There are federal payroll loans available that are forgiven entirely if a business brings back/maintains their payroll to within a certain percentage of staff before this hit. We are likely going that way. I'll have 60 people doing nothing.

Also, just remember if they call you and you don't go back, you're ineligible.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am

:nice:

I think spending the time while you have the .gov ched to develop some additional skillz and forge a new path is smart. I imagine you'd also be good at some kind of digital marketing :dill: We have a large marketing department here, I can tell you that you are more intelligent than most/all of them :lolol:

Some kind of e-commerce marketing could combine your IT skillz with some graphic design and such.
I was thinking something similar.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The woman’s new ceo just took a 100% paycut and is asking everyone to contribute “how they can” her start date is 4/6

:thisisfine:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm The woman’s new ceo just took a 100% paycut and is asking everyone to contribute “how they can” her start date is 4/6

These are the goings-on at my place of employment ATM. They didn't include sales in the mandatory cuts they implemented last week as "making no commission is already a serious pay cut" (words of the CEO) and asked anyone who can to volunteer for larger cuts if we'd like...

I'm good, dog. I'm not here to be part of a family. I'm here for the money. I'm only willing to do this for so little :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm The woman’s new ceo just took a 100% paycut and is asking everyone to contribute “how they can” her start date is 4/6

These are the goings-on at my place of employment ATM. They didn't include sales in the mandatory cuts they implemented last week as "making no commission is already a serious pay cut" (words of the CEO) and asked anyone who can to volunteer for larger cuts if we'd like...

I'm good, dog. I'm not here to be part of a family. I'm here for the money. I'm only willing to do this for so little :lolol:
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Our CEO made the "sacrifice" of cutting his salary by 50% Wow so generous!

From 14M to 7M

:wat:

He's making the sacrifice, so we can too. Uhhhh
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 pm

From 14M to 7M

I mean to be fair that’s a huge role and huge responsibility
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 pm

From 14M to 7M

Ours took an 80% cut. We aren't public, so who knows how much he makes. They also said no bonuses to anyone, execs included, until everyone's paycuts are paid back, starting with individual contributors first. All in all, I think our CEO is doing an awesome job with all of this. I just think it's :lolol: that I would volunteer to give up pay. As if $200/week or something is going to prevent layoffs, I'll take all I can while the getting is good, already operating on much less than I made pre COVID :bs: due to commissions. If I end up laid off, I end up laid off.

If they ask for furlough volunteers, I'll happily do that.