Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Milan is fking dope. DOPE.
That area is DOPE. The proximity to France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, and beyond would be incredible.

Perhaps this should be my end-game...
I would start eyeing my options there very strongly once aboard the new ship.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm
That area is DOPE. The proximity to France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, and beyond would be incredible.

Perhaps this should be my end-game...
Soooo I left this part out...the gig focuses on international operations. Might be rather simple to achieve.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Soooo I left this part out...the gig focuses on international operations. Might be rather simple to achieve.
:bruh:
Details like that are kinda important.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm

:word: I haven't been looking there lately. OKC is a possibility if my buddy's wife can get me that direct hire job, just to get my foot in the door with .gov.

Realistically though, I'll be here in SD until Michelle finishes getting licensed, and then we'll look together in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and a few other cities.
Denver would be awesome. I've heard Portland and Seattle have gotten rather :waxer: these days.
They've definitely gone up, but there are still decent little surrounding cities to live in that we would go for in all of those places, I was just listing the general areas we'd look/work. I don't want to be "in" a big city, especially since at that point we'll be going for crotchfruit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:32 pm
Somewhat irrelevant to my initial post (I was more worried about screwing future potential), but yea...the gig focuses on international operations, which I have little exposure to so it's a great add to the resume. Not to mention, would make going abroad rather simple.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm

:word: I haven't been looking there lately. OKC is a possibility if my buddy's wife can get me that direct hire job, just to get my foot in the door with .gov.

Realistically though, I'll be here in SD until Michelle finishes getting licensed, and then we'll look together in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and a few other cities.
Denver would be awesome. I've heard Portland and Seattle have gotten rather :waxer: these days.
Expensive, crushing traffic, and Portland has once of the worst homeless problems in the United States. Both cities are really like San Francisco, if you don't have serious $$$$, might look elsewhere for a starter kit.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Somewhat irrelevant to my initial post (I was more worried about screwing future potential), but yea...the gig focuses on international operations, which I have little exposure to so it's a great add to the resume. Not to mention, would make going abroad rather simple.
You're going to get QUITE the blowjob when you announce to Infamous that Northern Italy may be in her future.
Apex

Still... :lol:
Sounds like a cool gig, and will be a nice addition to your resume. Good luck with it dude!
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm
You're going to get QUITE the blowjob when you announce to Infamous that Northern Italy may be in her future.
Yea...she'd lose it. I need to make sure it's realistic before even suggesting it. She would move to Italy in a second.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm
Expensive, crushing traffic, and Portland has once of the worst homeless problems in the United States. Both cities are really like San Francisco, if you don't have serious $$$$, might look elsewhere for a starter kit.
Traffic and COL can't be much worse than here, if at all, especially if we get out of the actual cities.

It routinely takes me 45 minutes to an hour to go 12 miles home from work.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 pm
I find it best to keep the amount of change at one time to a minimum. Seems like you have a decent sitch with Mazda, and the brand/product is definitely headed in a good direction, so you probably don't want to spend too many brain cells on career changes right now.

I also think that the full :nuke: of the auto industry is father off than many predict.
I'm essentially putting any changes on hold until this year shakes out. I'm not going anywhere in terms of my current job, as they seem very intent on keeping me here long-term - but I'm at the point where I need to start planning for when I inevitably move up to my grandparents' house in NNJ. I'm also putting any projects with the house on hold indefinitely - as it'll go up for sale when that happens.

My grandfather's starting to decline noticeably - and I feel my prediction that a year of life after the fall that broke his hip just might unfortunately be right.
Dang man, really sorry to hear that. The good news is you have job stability while you deal with the hard instability elsewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Traffic and COL can't be much worse than here, if at all, especially if we get out of the actual cities.

Oh, you'd be surprised. Some cities that grow too fast end up terrible. I have heard that Portland and Seattle are both this.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah your traffic situ sucks balls. I know several people in SD who are better situated.....for one reason or the other. Seattle traffic can be far more brutal than what you are describing. The arrival of Amazon has pushed rents sky high and made an already snarled access to the city unbearable. A lot of it is Pay Area stuff. Also keep in mind that by most people's standards you live in paradise. In Portland you can go MONTHS without seeing the sun. It has a vibrant hipster scene, great bars, and legal weed. Only the latter is of interest to you. I think I've said this before but Seasonal Affective Disorder is real shit, and for people somewhat subject to depression, it is even more of a risk. Do not abandon the sun lightly.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm Resurrecting from the dead to not make a new thread...

As some know, I've been in the running for a new job at a new company. Got the offer, money is great, title is fine, negotiated for more vacation so I don't lose any, all seems good. I go to quit and my current boss goes on and on about how big of a mistake it is, how I'm resetting my reputation clock, and that I'd be walking away from a really bright career future. So I ask to detail the career future and he talks about reaching this level and that and that I'm destined for it if I just stick with the company. I ask for a specific timeline, he of course says that's impossible to give. I expected something like this from my boss, I'm extremely undervalued for what I do and he knows it. I've been here for 5 years now in different roles, I'm hardly "job hopping" IMO.

That said, I can't disagree that I've built a really REALLY strong reputation at my current company. I'm trying to do everything possible to not burn any bridges, but it seems like no matter what I do I'll be blacklisted here, which is unfortunate and also a reason I considered leaving in the first place (the culture is insanely good 'ol boy, old school like that). As soon as I officially quit, I'm walked out the door as I'm going to a competitor, so it's a delicate situation.

Financially, it would take me 5 years of 3% pay increases to reach the offer I've been given...and assuming I'd get 3% raises at the new place...the gap is tangible. Even the next level up at my current company probably wouldn't get me to this job offer money. Current boss of course is telling me to ignore the money because I'll make it all up later...which could be true but far from a certainty of course. Opportunity for promotions at new place is admittedly limited because the organization is so flat. I agree with that corp structure in theory, but I don't know how I'd handle potentially little movement.

I'm posting all of this to gauge any one else's experience with such a thing. Foregoing built reputation at a current company and whether or not it harmed you in the long run.
Sorry I'm a little late to this game but here's my :whocares: take:

You're young and driven enough to build a new reputation at FCA so that argument is pointless.

As you said, you HATE the layers of management where you are so don't let the flatness of FCA deter you.

A company that would shit on you for wanting to leave to better yourself is not worth your loyalty and continued efforts.

You've wanted to leave for awhile, don't get cold feet now that the opportunity is wiggling in your lap.

There are benefits to working in a flat organization beyond title promotions. We're pretty flat here and when my job changed to I suddenly found myself reporting directly to the president of the company, my cool bossbro, who has been great to work for and facilitates my growth in my new position. That wouldn't be likely to happen in a very vertically structured company.

I know, "wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Any place that would begrudge you for leaving for a better opportunity is the same place that will bury you in an instant as soon as they feel like it.

In a flat structure there is actually more room for skill growth as there are fewer above you protecting every little thing.

This all makes me MORE convinced leaving is the right move.
Very good points.

Boss is saying the competitor is a "shit show" and "will be out of business within 5 years". Further he claims he "gets offers from them all the time and turns them down because the company is garbage".

It absolutely is chaotic at the new company. They didn't sugar coat that when I interviewed. I know what I'm getting into, and I'm OK with it. I actually thrive in chaos when I'm given the ability to navigate it and impact it, which they said they value greatly because the org is so flat. Compared to my current place, it probably does look like a "shit show", and I do personally have some reservations about the new company's long-term prospects...but I doubt it would really have a major negative impact on my career.
Eh, if you stayed at GM you'd probably be looking for a job in less than 5 years anyway...
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm Resurrecting from the dead to not make a new thread...

As some know, I've been in the running for a new job at a new company. Got the offer, money is great, title is fine, negotiated for more vacation so I don't lose any, all seems good. I go to quit and my current boss goes on and on about how big of a mistake it is, how I'm resetting my reputation clock, and that I'd be walking away from a really bright career future. So I ask to detail the career future and he talks about reaching this level and that and that I'm destined for it if I just stick with the company. I ask for a specific timeline, he of course says that's impossible to give. I expected something like this from my boss, I'm extremely undervalued for what I do and he knows it. I've been here for 5 years now in different roles, I'm hardly "job hopping" IMO.

That said, I can't disagree that I've built a really REALLY strong reputation at my current company. I'm trying to do everything possible to not burn any bridges, but it seems like no matter what I do I'll be blacklisted here, which is unfortunate and also a reason I considered leaving in the first place (the culture is insanely good 'ol boy, old school like that). As soon as I officially quit, I'm walked out the door as I'm going to a competitor, so it's a delicate situation.

Financially, it would take me 5 years of 3% pay increases to reach the offer I've been given...and assuming I'd get 3% raises at the new place...the gap is tangible. Even the next level up at my current company probably wouldn't get me to this job offer money. Current boss of course is telling me to ignore the money because I'll make it all up later...which could be true but far from a certainty of course. Opportunity for promotions at new place is admittedly limited because the organization is so flat. I agree with that corp structure in theory, but I don't know how I'd handle potentially little movement.

I'm posting all of this to gauge any one else's experience with such a thing. Foregoing built reputation at a current company and whether or not it harmed you in the long run.

You're young and driven enough to build a new reputation at FCA so that argument is pointless.

As you said, you HATE the layers of management where you are so don't let the flatness of FCA deter you.

A company that would shit on you for wanting to leave to better yourself is not worth your loyalty and continued efforts.

You've wanted to leave for awhile, don't get cold feet now that the opportunity is wiggling in your lap.

There are benefits to working in a flat organization beyond title promotions. We're pretty flat here and when my job changed to I suddenly found myself reporting directly to the president of the company, my cool bossbro, who has been great to work for and facilitates my growth in my new position. That wouldn't be likely to happen in a very vertically structured company.

I know, "wrong:
I really appreciate you taking the time to drop some knowledge :wap: Thanks dude.

I officially accepted the offer, gotta do background/drug screen but I'm not worried about that. I really want to take some time off, so I think I'm going to quit on Monday. Boss wasn't in today.

It's one of those things that I really want to do face to face, but obviously that didn't work yesterday. Wondering if I should just leave all my work stuff in my desk when I leave today and quit via e-mail...
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm

It's also clear he's way more concerned about the company than your well being. Run from this guy. Even if you stay, get a new manager. This guy has doom written all over him.
He looks out for himself #1. I could tell you countless stories about making my work his own, giving me "autonomy" while dictating every move, blocking other people's internal job moves, etc. I don't think I could get away from him even if I stayed here for at least a few more years.
The reddest of red flags right there.
:gtfo:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Yeah your traffic situ sucks balls. I know several people in SD who are better situated.....for one reason or the other. Seattle traffic can be far more brutal than what you are describing. The arrival of Amazon has pushed rents sky high and made an already snarled access to the city unbearable. A lot of it is Pay Area stuff. Also keep in mind that by most people's standards you live in paradise. In Portland you can go MONTHS without seeing the sun. It has a vibrant hipster scene, great bars, and legal weed. Only the latter is of interest to you. I think I've said this before but Seasonal Affective Disorder is real shit, and for people somewhat subject to depression, it is even more of a risk. Do not abandon the sun lightly.
Very good points. My view of Portland weather is skewed, because every time I've visited it's been nice and sunny. It misted on us once when we were walking around the city. I do need to keep in mind that it's not always that way. Denver area is higher on my list for this reason. 300 days of sunshine or whatever.

And my traffic here could definitely be better. If I was driving south to work on the 805 and heading home north, I'd do much better than now, and as such, I've focused my job search in the Chula Vista/National City area. Even working downtown would be better than driving up north where I do.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I know, "wrong:
You're right today Ron. Might want to extend your play and knock off work and pour yourself two fingers of good scotch.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm

I know, "wrong:
I really appreciate you taking the time to drop some knowledge :wap: Thanks dude.

I officially accepted the offer, gotta do background/drug screen but I'm not worried about that. I really want to take some time off, so I think I'm going to quit on Monday. Boss wasn't in today.

It's one of those things that I really want to do face to face, but obviously that didn't work yesterday. Wondering if I should just leave all my work stuff in my desk when I leave today and quit via e-mail...
:fuckyeah: man! Congrats on getting the offer and good for you for accepting it. I think it'll be a positive move in all regards.
Apex

I know, "wrong:

Face to face on Monday morning. Don't :crang: and do it via email...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Yea, it's the right way to go.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 pm

How else are you going to shit on his desk? :lol:
wap

:geek: :geek: :geek:
I like where this could lead. DetroitPlac becomes TurinPlac!
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:09 pm
How else are you going to shit on his desk? :lol:
He's not here today. I could leave it for him over the weekend.