Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm

You've mentioned that before, which is another reason why I think this move is a good one.

You have smart plans for the extra money, live at your current budget, then in 3-5 years if you take a paycut jumping out of auto, you'll still be living stress free financially.
We're currently rolling around the idea of banking the next 3-5 years then fucking off to somewhere warm with a cheaper cost of living like TN or something. Just do basic work at an advertising agency or something with a house paid for in cash...not a bad way to go.
Just go grow weed somewhere. Every mother's son who is tired of working for the man and has a love affair with the kind bud is looking for that free cash money for doing something FUN!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm
We're currently rolling around the idea of banking the next 3-5 years then fucking off to somewhere warm with a cheaper cost of living like TN or something. Just do basic work at an advertising agency or something with a house paid for in cash...not a bad way to go.
:fuckyeah: My dad wants to sell his old house in California City if you want really cheap :lol:
While I'm sure it would be affordable, not really thinking that's a place I'd like to live in.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Just go grow weed somewhere. Every mother's son who is tired of working for the man and has a love affair with the kind bud is looking for that free cash money for doing something FUN!
:lolol:

I have a brown thumb, this isn't really an option for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm

:fuckyeah: My dad wants to sell his old house in California City if you want really cheap :lol:
While I'm sure it would be affordable, not really thinking that's a place I'd like to live in.
:notwrong: That place is terrible unless you're a 100% dirtbike bro.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 pm
I love dirtbikes, just not 100%.

If I moved west, it would be somewhere like Prescott, AZ.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Buddy in Phoenix keeps trying to get me to apply to the PD out there, but man.. that heat. Cal City was bad, but he'll text us at 8 in the morning that it's already over 100* :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Buddy in Phoenix keeps trying to get me to apply to the PD out there, but man.. that heat. Cal City was bad, but he'll text us at 8 in the morning that it's already over 100* :yikes:
Dude, PHX is :nope: Prescott is at higher elevation and while it certainly gets hot, doesn't get THAT hot.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm You've mentioned that before, which is another reason why I think this move is a good one.

You have smart plans for the extra money, live at your current budget, then in 3-5 years if you take a paycut jumping out of auto, you'll still be living stress free financially.
Move to Fiat/Alfa in Italy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Weather everywhere is going to be depressing AF after SD bro. Pay Area is not really the best weather on earth. SD is in fact the best weather on earth.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: We're currently rolling around the idea of banking the next 3-5 years then fucking off to somewhere warm with a cheaper cost of living like TN or something. Just do basic work at an advertising agency or something with a house paid for in cash...not a bad way to go.
This would be heroic.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: We're currently rolling around the idea of banking the next 3-5 years then fucking off to somewhere warm with a cheaper cost of living like TN or something. Just do basic work at an advertising agency or something with a house paid for in cash...not a bad way to go.
This is actually something at the back of my mind for sure. Would be a 5/7 opportunity and I know the wife would be completely on board.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:57 pm Move to Fiat/Alfa in Italy.
This would be heroic.
It would likely be a possibility at some point. We would love to spend some time living in Europe.
SAWCE

Weather everywhere is going to be depressing AF after SD bro. Pay Area is not really the best weather on earth. SD is in fact the best weather on earth.
I run really hot, so I'd like to live somewhere higher elevation or further north that stays a little cooler. Don't mind snow and shit, though to be fair, I've never really had to live in it as a desert rat.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:57 pm Move to Fiat/Alfa in Italy.
This is actually something at the back of my mind for sure. Would be a 5/7 opportunity and I know the wife would be completely on board.
AFAIK it's not that expensive in the North where the manufacturing is, but I've no real clue.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm

I run really hot, so I'd like to live somewhere higher elevation or further north that stays a little cooler. Don't mind snow and shit, though to be fair, I've never really had to live in it as a desert rat.
OKC/Texas NOT YOUR PLACE then. The humidity in southern flyover country is something most Californians don't even understand. It is the primary reason some of the Airboat real estate prices bantered about are what they are.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm
Detroit wrote: This is actually something at the back of my mind for sure. Would be a 5/7 opportunity and I know the wife would be completely on board.
AFAIK it's not that expensive in the North where the manufacturing is, but I've no real clue.
When a company sends you somewhere out of the country to live, cost of living isn't really much of a concern. Would be a fun thing to do for some time...maybe permanent if you can find another gig. Usually companies don't send you over indefinitely.

Fiat's in Turin IIRC, so the north which is pretty much like France, Switzerland, etc I imagine.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm
Detroit wrote: This is actually something at the back of my mind for sure. Would be a 5/7 opportunity and I know the wife would be completely on board.
Milan is fking dope. DOPE.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 pm

OKC/Texas NOT YOUR PLACE then. The humidity in southern flyover country is something most Californians don't even understand. It is the primary reason some of the Airboat real estate prices bantered about are what they are.
Yea, I'd never live that far south. Humidity is :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm AFAIK it's not that expensive in the North where the manufacturing is, but I've no real clue.
Milan is fking dope. DOPE.
That area is DOPE. The proximity to France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, and beyond would be incredible.

Perhaps this should be my end-game...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:18 pm I need to start considering what's beyond my current career.

My mental timeline has me here 5 years max as a :dillerman: - but lots of change on the near horizon in terms of the health of my grandparents and what will happen when they inevitably pass away.

And of course, this industry's health is on the decline anyway.

:iono:
Grow weed on your grandparents land.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:18 pm I need to start considering what's beyond my current career.

My mental timeline has me here 5 years max as a :dillerman: - but lots of change on the near horizon in terms of the health of my grandparents and what will happen when they inevitably pass away.

I find it best to keep the amount of change at one time to a minimum. Seems like you have a decent sitch with Mazda, and the brand/product is definitely headed in a good direction, so you probably don't want to spend too many brain cells on career changes right now.

I also think that the full :nuke: of the auto industry is father off than many predict.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Grow weed on your grandparents land.
:notwrong:
SAWCE

:word: I haven't been looking there lately. OKC is a possibility if my buddy's wife can get me that direct hire job, just to get my foot in the door with .gov.

Realistically though, I'll be here in SD until Michelle finishes getting licensed, and then we'll look together in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and a few other cities.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm

:word: I haven't been looking there lately. OKC is a possibility if my buddy's wife can get me that direct hire job, just to get my foot in the door with .gov.

Realistically though, I'll be here in SD until Michelle finishes getting licensed, and then we'll look together in Denver, Portland, Seattle, and a few other cities.
Denver would be awesome. I've heard Portland and Seattle have gotten rather :waxer: these days.