Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:14 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm
Unexpected twist at work. My old supervisor is coming back to our team to fill the manager position since that hasn’t been filled since our manager left a month or two ago. I’m stoked, he was a good supervisor and should move the department in the right direction.
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Got an offer with the utility company. Weirdly, I have a chemical plant VERY interested in me that I just got off the phone with.

Here's the deets on the utility co.
Offer is $105
Unclear on vacation, I need to validate that but looks like 4 weeks
401k, health bennies, stock buy options, pension, blah blah
Real benefit here is it's a 15 minute hung over bike ride to the office as its downtown. I could get rid of my car and go single vehicle household.

I'm a little hesitant as it's a ~$30k pay cut from my previous job. That's a bit unfair as that company was throwing cash around recklessly despite bleeding money with a plant that didn't even work. But even if you look at my refinery job, it's a $20k cut. Plus, Lisa is gone from her job so the real cut to our household would be in the $80k range. Seems like an odd time to reduce my salary substantially.

What do you guys think. Would you take a cut like that to have a 15 minute stress free commute and more family time each day?

The other option is hold out for this chemical plant, which I could probably squeeze them back up to the refinery pay level, but it's a 1 hour commute each way without traffic.... so figure up to 3 hours spent sitting in a car each day. I THINK I'd be happier at the utility company. Not sure. The chemical plant job would be interesting because I'd be overseeing a contractor workforce and responsible for about $50 million of capital jobs.

**And yes, I realize I'm unemployed so I should be happy I even have an offer to begin with**

Apex
Drives: CookieMonster

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Got an offer with the utility company. Weirdly, I have a chemical plant VERY interested in me that I just got off the phone with.

Offer is $105
Real benefit here is it's a 15 minute hung over bike ride to the office as its downtown. I could get rid of my car and go single vehicle household.

I'm a little hesitant as it's a ~$30k pay cut from my previous job. That's a bit unfair as that company was throwing cash around recklessly despite bleeding money with a plant that didn't even work. But even if you look at my refinery job, it's a $20k cut. Plus, Lisa is gone from her job so the real cut to our household would be in the $80k range. Seems like an odd time to reduce my salary substantially.

What do you guys think. Would you take a cut like that to have a 15 minute stress free commute and more family time each day?

The other option is hold out for this chemical plant, which I could probably squeeze them back up to the refinery pay level, but it's a 1 hour commute each way without traffic.... so figure up to 3 hours spent sitting in a car each day. I THINK I'd be happier at the utility company. Not sure. The chemical plant job would be interesting because I'd be overseeing a contractor workforce and responsible for about $50 million of capital jobs.

**And yes, I realize I'm unemployed so I should be happy I even have an offer to begin with**
Being able to spend over 2 additional hours at home, or the bar before the kid sleeps :lol: , would be huge.
I believe you guys run pretty lean expense wise, so take a good look at your budget and see if the cut is doable.

Bird in hand is also a plus. Just my useless 0.02.

Detroit
Drives: Gladiatrice

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

If WFH has taught me anything, it's that commuting blows and family/personal time is incredibly valuable. Going down to one car would save costs considerably, plus you enjoy riding your bike anyway. There's a lot of value in that IMO.

4 weeks vacation is fucking awesome if real.

You know your personal finances, but it seems like you should be able to do just fine on that salary, even for a family of 3. Your housing costs are low, your car costs will be low, and you can really focus on what's truly important. At this point, I'd mostly ignore past income and run some personal finance :math: to see if the offer income is sufficient for the life you want righ tnow. Seems like it should be, but only you can decide that for your lifestyle.

Is the job what you want to do mostly? If not, could it be eventually?

I'd take it, but that's just me. Bird in the hand with the chemical company...plus the gain in personal time would be huge. Commuting does nothing but add frustration and cost.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Bender
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Mario Kart

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

Take it. Happiness is worth every bit of that pay cut if you can afford it.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

Bender

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

If WFH has taught me anything, it's that commuting blows and family/personal time is incredibly valuable. Going down to one car would save costs considerably, plus you enjoy riding your bike anyway. There's a lot of value in that IMO.

You know your personal finances, but it seems like you should be able to do just fine on that salary, even for a family of 3. Your housing costs are low, your car costs will be low, and you can really focus on what's truly important. At this point, I'd mostly ignore past income and run some personal finance :math: to see if the offer income is sufficient for the life you want righ tnow. Seems like it should be, but only you can decide that for your lifestyle.

I'd take it, but that's just me. Bird in the hand with the chemical company...plus the gain in personal time would be huge. Commuting does nothing but add frustration and cost.
10000% this

SAWCE
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

:dat:
:sawce:

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

What do you think the upside is in terms of salary increases?
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Microbus

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm

I'd take it, 2hr commute to put my body into a plant that manufactures cancerous chemicals while a wife and baby wait at home isn't my idea of fun, especially in a place with shit roads. Sell the Subi and live a healthier life! Congrats :wub:

troyguitar
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Utility company should in theory be a more stable solution on top of the other benefits. They don't explode and get shut down.

4 weeks PTO doesn't happen until 20 or 25 years of "service" here. Fucker.

max225
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

Take the job. It seems like life dealt you a great card.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:26 pm

If you actually broke down the commute/vehicle costs and also factor in that the extra $20K is higher tax bracket stuff..............dead heat or negligible? And then you're working for a utility company, which generally means you have to be grossly incompetent to ever lose your job, which frankly sounds like the ticket right now.

fledonfoot
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

Take the job.

It’s not a 30k cut. It’s a $105 raise.

You can always keep looking. Most importantly it gets you out of this cycle you’re stuck in.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:01 pm

fledonfoot wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

Take the job.

It’s not a 30k cut. It’s a $105 raise.

You can always keep looking. Most importantly it gets you out of this cycle you’re stuck in.
Stone Cold.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Offer is $105

Absofuckinglutely.

Take it, for all the reasons the bro's outlined above, as long as the vaca gets clarified to your satisfaction.
Congrats, mang. Happy for you. :fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Johnny_P

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Thanks dudes 🥰

Bender

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Thanks dudes 🥰
Keep us up to date!

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Thanks dudes 🥰
Before accepting, I’d just call the other place and be like, look I got an offer, I need to support my family so I plan to take it but wanted to run it by you guys first.

Overall though, with the generous PTO, bennies, and commute, it sounds like not a bad gig.

FWIW I made like $135k last year and will be lucky to hit a hunnit this year. And that was after getting a raise :lolol: It’s not all that bad :ohwell:

I do think considering which work you’d enjoy more matters, but ultimately if the second place doesn’t make really quick moves, take the bird in hand.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Happy for you :mahman:

Detroit
Drives: Gladiatrice

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:36 pm

D Griff wrote:
Happy for you :mahman:
:dat: big time!
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Microbus

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Finally got my year end corporate book keeping done and sent out to my accountant. This year has been extra hard to get any shit around the house done especially book keeping with the kiddies around a lot more, my only real gripe with the self-employment piece otherwise I couldn't ask for a better setup.

Wife works for government, but she continues to battle to keep contract positions in higher up rolls. She just won another competition (third one so far over three years) for a six month contract to do Program Analyst work which keeps her out of Employment Services/front line job which unfortunately will get shut down entirely next year as the government decided that the employment training and management portion should get outsourced to a private agency. They've actually piloted this last year and the agencies have all failed since the clients being sent to them deal with barriers that are out of most recruiters comfort level... like alcoholism, or homelessness, or schizophrenia etc. I shake my head at that move since they already have tried and failed to address these core flaws, her department specializes in rebuilding the lives of broken people, its not just a resume update. All of the people working in Employment Services are getting dumped back into core roles such as the Case Worker and will be displacing those with lower seniority. Worse then that, the Case Workers will all eventually be laid off and the government will issue benefits directly to those requesting them, no screening or accountability.

Next in line for gov spending in a big way is housing, the feds are going to pump huge infrastructure projects into major cities to get people off the streets and housed. I think this is a pretty need idea, just hope it actually works. I can see how getting someone housed is the first and best step towards self-care and financial independence from the system ultimately. :popcorn: on these updated gov services Canada side.

And they say that gov is the place to be for work, maybe only as a politician but definitely glad I lean on my own network and talents at a crazy time like this. We are really lucky to have a ying-yang type careers because it helps with the ups and downs of different cycles like this one. I'm genuinely sad for us as a society, it is such a rat race and financial burden to just live and eat. :sad:

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:32 am

I countered for slightly higher. Results pending but I’ll accept it either way.

Cash flow sheet looks kind of ugly. Basically can’t afford to own 2 cars on this salary unless they’re both complete shitkickers. Funny how that works, you go from being able to afford whatever you want, to you have to drive a beat up old hybrid to make ends meet on a salary greater than juan hunnit. I mean all my extra cash will have to go to college funds.

I have no idea how people that make $10/hr get by.

It’s hard telling myself this was the right call. When I know I could have got an additional $20k/yr salary at the chemical plant, which would have required a move to Wilmington Delaware which is cheaper to live than Philly. Our house would have sold quick for high dollar and I could have bought something down there for pennies with a yard and more room.

Sigh. Too late now. We will see how this goes.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 am

Tarspin wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 pm
Finally got my year end corporate book keeping done and sent out to my accountant. This year has been extra hard to get any shit around the house done especially book keeping with the kiddies around a lot more, my only real gripe with the self-employment piece otherwise I couldn't ask for a better setup.

Wife works for government, but she continues to battle to keep contract positions in higher up rolls. She just won another competition (third one so far over three years) for a six month contract to do Program Analyst work which keeps her out of Employment Services/front line job which unfortunately will get shut down entirely next year as the government decided that the employment training and management portion should get outsourced to a private agency. They've actually piloted this last year and the agencies have all failed since the clients being sent to them deal with barriers that are out of most recruiters comfort level... like alcoholism, or homelessness, or schizophrenia etc. I shake my head at that move since they already have tried and failed to address these core flaws, her department specializes in rebuilding the lives of broken people, its not just a resume update. All of the people working in Employment Services are getting dumped back into core roles such as the Case Worker and will be displacing those with lower seniority. Worse then that, the Case Workers will all eventually be laid off and the government will issue benefits directly to those requesting them, no screening or accountability.

Next in line for gov spending in a big way is housing, the feds are going to pump huge infrastructure projects into major cities to get people off the streets and housed. I think this is a pretty need idea, just hope it actually works. I can see how getting someone housed is the first and best step towards self-care and financial independence from the system ultimately. :popcorn: on these updated gov services Canada side.

And they say that gov is the place to be for work, maybe only as a politician but definitely glad I lean on my own network and talents at a crazy time like this. We are really lucky to have a ying-yang type careers because it helps with the ups and downs of different cycles like this one. I'm genuinely sad for us as a society, it is such a rat race and financial burden to just live and eat. :sad:
Crazy times. I know a lot of .gov workers in philly that got laid off. Funds are gone. So a lot of these good outreach programs are bankrupt and defunded to pay for whatever else is more important like militarized police equipment or misconduct lawsuits.

How does your wife like the program analyst position? How did she get into that? (If too complex or personal an answer happy to email back and forth with you). I’d love a position like that in DC.

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:38 am

Johnny_P wrote:

Cash flow sheet looks kind of ugly. Basically can’t afford to own 2 cars on this salary unless they’re both complete shitkickers. Funny how that works, you go from being able to afford whatever you want, to you have to drive a beat up old hybrid to make ends meet on a salary greater than juan hunnit. I mean all my extra cash will have to go to college funds.

Congratulations. Don’t look or think too hard right now. You just need stable income coming into the household. That will give you and Lisa more freedom to decide and make choices. You will live a good life with the commute and time with family.

Start looking to sell the STI and maybe use some of the money to throw at the CMax to make it good to run and drive, or trade both in at fled’s Toyota dealer and get a RAV4 and drive off into the sunset.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm
DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.

SAWCE
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 am

Johnny_P wrote:

It’s hard telling myself this was the right call. When I know I could have got an additional $20k/yr salary at the chemical plant, which would have required a move to Wilmington Delaware which is cheaper to live than Philly. Our house would have sold quick for high dollar and I could have bought something down there for pennies with a yard and more room.

Sigh. Too late now. We will see how this goes.
I thought Lisa was firmly rooted on staying in Philly? Doesn’t that make Wilmington a non-issue?
:sawce:

• Information