Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:15 pm Update from recruiter bro is....

:excited:

We are still waiting.
:really:

Find anything else of interest lately?
Plenty. But nobody is interested in me, sadly.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 pm

:really:

Find anything else of interest lately?
Just gotta keep at it. Nobody is hiring here either.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:40 pm

It seems there is a massive shortage on low wage workers. My company has loads of open customer service and warehouse positions and can't find anyone decent. Fast food places are nearly unusable now, it's almost guaranteed you'll be shorted items, served completely wrong food, you name it. Weird times.

Meanwhile it sees like professional jobs are really difficult to come by.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm
It seems there is a massive shortage on low wage workers. My company has loads of open customer service and warehouse positions and can't find anyone decent. Fast food places are nearly unusable now, it's almost guaranteed you'll be shorted items, served completely wrong food, you name it. Weird times.

When the .gov is doubling* your weekly pay to stay home, why would you work?

*no math was performed in the creation of this comment.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea...around here and up north, every single fast food and retail place has "Hiring immediately, same day pay" type signs out. A Taco Bell in Traverse City was offering $14/hr hiring same day with same day pay. :impressive: since the COL up there is minimal. Could live a solidly decent existence on that pay up there.

It's the middle that we're all in that's somehow decimated. Really depressing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm

Yea...around here and up north, every single fast food and retail place has "Hiring immediately, same day pay" type signs out. A Taco Bell in Traverse City was offering $14/hr hiring same day with same day pay. :impressive: since the COL up there is minimal. Could live a solidly decent existence on that pay up there.

:dat:

I am keeping my ass in this seat and trying to be thankful for what I've got even though it is a clusterfuck at the moment.

It'll be interesting when the .gov :thankstrump: six hundo ends. I'd be seeking out a job now if I were those people.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm

I am keeping my ass in this seat and trying to be thankful for what I've got even though it is a clusterfuck at the moment.

It'll be interesting when the .gov :thankstrump: six hundo ends. I'd be seeking out a job now if I were those people.
I've got it really good right now...I know it won't last, and it makes me worried for the future, but for now it's great.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:27 pm

I've got it really good right now...I know it won't last, and it makes me worried for the future, but for now it's great.
I could probably stay at this company as long as this company continues to exist and slowly get promoted up. But :notsure: I have much desire to do so. Middle management at corp environment just seems :disgust: . Being a pretty well paid Indian isn't terrible, at least I can be fairly :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:51 pm
I could probably stay at this company as long as this company continues to exist and slowly get promoted up. But :notsure: I have much desire to do so. Middle management at corp environment just seems :disgust: . Being a pretty well paid Indian isn't terrible, at least I can be fairly :aintcare:
These are my feels right now as well.

I hate the corp environment, and have next to no interest in promoting it.
Apex

I should work on not caring more. :iono: that seems so foreign to me, but I don’t have much foreseeable upward mobility here.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm

I should work on not caring more. :iono: that seems so foreign to me, but I don’t have much foreseeable upward mobility here.
I used to be the "caring" type. Deeply. The last year or so, my level of care has dropped to historic lows. I'll always do the best job I can, but when it comes to moving up and playing all the :bs: corp games, I just have no interest.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm

I cared a ton at my old job... it was a small company, I really loved the product/industry, I felt like my role really mattered. This gig I'm just sort of a corporate cog. I am well liked by people and could take it further, but I just don't really care to. I try to do an above average job to cruise comfortably where I am, but the idea of having something like my boss's job is just :disgust: and I'm not sure where else I'd go. Maybe I can make a shift over to the product side at some point if I stay here.
Johnny_P

Why waste away at a deep fryer or working for a warehouse boss when you can make the same amount maybe more shopping for rich wypipo groceries all day with literally no boss and working hours that you pick?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Why waste away at a deep fryer or working for a warehouse boss when you can make the same amount maybe more shopping for rich wypipo groceries all day with literally no boss and working hours that you pick?
TIL :wat: :dat: is.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 pm

:dat: is YOU, Ronald.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, we got the grocery delivering thing a couple of times (Instacart/Aldi) in the beginning of the 'VID and it was serious money, like 100% upcharge on regular pricing once tip and everything is factored in. I wonder how much of that the grocery getter gets. Maybe I should :doit: . Don't really need extra money :butwhy: not?
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Man, we got the grocery delivering thing a couple of times (Instacart/Aldi) in the beginning of the 'VID and it was serious money, like 100% upcharge on regular pricing once tip and everything is factored in. I wonder how much of that the grocery getter gets. Maybe I should :doit: . Don't really need extra money :butwhy: not?
Every grocery store is absolutely loaded with instacart shoppers. Loaded with them.

Of course there will be a serious charge for it. The person has to shop just like you would and drive to/from. Then double the time so insta gets their share.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 pm
And you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm

And you.
Indeed.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Every grocery store is absolutely loaded with instacart shoppers. Loaded with them.

Of course there will be a serious charge for it. The person has to shop just like you would and drive to/from. Then double the time so insta gets their share.
:word:

So it cost us like $180 for $90 of groceries. The shopping trip would take probably an hour including drive time... so if the driver gets say, 60% that is pretty dece money. Part of that was our tip though, which was at least $20, I'm sure many just short them. :iono: Seems like a pretty chill way to make some money, zero stress job for $30/hour is cool, $10/hour, nah.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm

So it cost us like $180 for $90 of groceries. The shopping trip would take probably an hour including drive time... so if the driver gets say, 60% that is pretty dece money. Part of that was our tip though, which was at least $20, I'm sure many just short them. :iono: Seems like a pretty chill way to make some money, zero stress job for $30/hour is cool, $10/hour, nah.
Yep exactly. And that beats working for MacDoe any day.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Wifey is a Whole Foods Employee (so... amazon). Their in house Prime Shoppers are paid $15/hr (Amazon's standard wage) but have to exceed pretty harsh order completion % rates to stay employed. Shoppers pick, drivers deliver. It is not a zero stress job, and the ones that think it is don't last. Turnover is massive.

It's their warehouse operations in a grocery store setting.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Yep exactly. And that beats working for MacDoe any day.
Yoooooo Johnny

https://www.awe-tuning.com/join-the-tea ... ct-manager
Dang...this is my profession. I'd love to work for a smaller aftermarket company, but I suspect the pay is :poop:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Yoooooo Johnny

https://www.awe-tuning.com/join-the-tea ... ct-manager
Dang...this is my profession. I'd love to work for a smaller aftermarket company, but I suspect the pay is :poop:
We can offer you $12/hr with MacDoe Monday’s!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am
We can offer you $12/hr with MacDoe Monday’s!
Make it Taco Bell Tuesday and you have a deal!