Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

fledonfoot wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am I need to find a way to enjoy a job I now abhor. :rage:
Work to live. Don’t live to work.

Make your time out of the office count.
Yeah. I have never liked work, but at the same time I have never hated it either. It's work. You do it to eat, not to feel good.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am
That's one job I just couldn't do.

But, that's how most people in this country manage finances. We have some friends that sold a :haus: and had $50k in CC debt to pay off. They did and bought a cheaper house. They told us the other night that they're back up to $20k in the hole... after a few years. :wtf: STOP SPENDING WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE. It's not rocket science.
Yeaaaaa.

I always think that I could be doing better and should be doing better (we have some minimal CC debt due to one income and baby, but we offset by doing Uber Eats every now and then to make some side hustle cash). But I contribute to my 401k to at minimum the employer match (which is 4%, so 8% total) and we put money in the savings. We have about a 3 month emergency fund now which isn’t so bad considering we had nothing when :baby: came.

It’s all moderation truthfully. I haven’t bought a phone case in years. I don’t even want my GTI due to it having a payment. I’d much rather be happier in some appliance corolla for this part of my life. However the GTI is super depreciated so I’ll drive it until resale lines up with what I owe on it in the future.

BUT, hearing those phone calls puts so much in perspective. People making insanely terrible financial decisions. I don’t understand how these people manage to get through life. I stress over shit and they seem to be so :aintcare:

:ohwell:
ONly comment on this is... don't sell the GTI, just drive it to 120K+. You will end up spending/losing the same offing i for a Corolla, any car transaction costs thousands so you'll be in the same/worse boat but just with a shittier car.

You are doing well :doe: . It took me until around 26 to not be totally poor, around 28 to actually have student debt eliminated and have a positive net worth, and now am into 6 figure worth by adding what used to be used for the loans into savings and shit. Owning a stupid house helps too :rolleyes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am I need to find a way to enjoy a job I now abhor. :rage:
There's no hope to "enjoy" but "tolerate" is doable IMO.

I've worked hard to mentally distance myself from my job, which has had mixed results, but better than just :rage: all the time.
:iono: I have a better work life balance since COVID and working less/caring less but as a result I don't get the satisfaction of knowing I am great at what I do. It's tough to GAF when you're commissioned and no matter how well you do, it's impossible to achieve your goals. :ohwell: I just :aintcare: now and :thisisfine: .

I don't really see that I could have much better of a situation with this COVID shit, so I shall continue to ride it out and give 20% above bare minimum effort.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:48 am
:rolleyes:

Not a good sign, sadly. But that might end up being a blessing in disguise.
I mean, this job is a pile of shit either way. But yeah if they're that disorganized that they can't bring on a 3rd party contractor without the president of the company signing off, and it takes over a month just to get a yes or no..... that's pretty bad. The job would be managing capital projects and repair jobs. If they can't get it together to pay a single contractor how can they be expected to get it together to manage an expensive capital or repair job?

Disaster. I made decisions like this for my last company. I got an answer in a week with full approval. Give me one more week to get a computer and accounts set up and bring the guy in. 2 weeks. That's it. That's all it should take.

But I'm unemployed and not hearing anything back from anyone. I'm halfway through my UC benefits. And the weekly $600 MAGA store credits are expiring at the end of the month. So we're nearly at SHTF.
:rage:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 pm
Yeaaaaa.

I always think that I could be doing better and should be doing better (we have some minimal CC debt due to one income and baby, but we offset by doing Uber Eats every now and then to make some side hustle cash). But I contribute to my 401k to at minimum the employer match (which is 4%, so 8% total) and we put money in the savings. We have about a 3 month emergency fund now which isn’t so bad considering we had nothing when :baby: came.

It’s all moderation truthfully. I haven’t bought a phone case in years. I don’t even want my GTI due to it having a payment. I’d much rather be happier in some appliance corolla for this part of my life. However the GTI is super depreciated so I’ll drive it until resale lines up with what I owe on it in the future.

BUT, hearing those phone calls puts so much in perspective. People making insanely terrible financial decisions. I don’t understand how these people manage to get through life. I stress over shit and they seem to be so :aintcare:

ONly comment on this is... don't sell the GTI, just drive it to 120K+. You will end up spending/losing the same offing i for a Corolla, any car transaction costs thousands so you'll be in the same/worse boat but just with a shittier car.

You are doing well :doe: . It took me until around 26 to not be totally poor, around 28 to actually have student debt eliminated and have a positive net worth, and now am into 6 figure worth by adding what used to be used for the loans into savings and shit. Owning a stupid house helps too :rolleyes:
35, no house, and a pile of debt here. :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yeaaaaa.

Lots of :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:00 pm

It really is fine. It's not a race or a contest, everyone does what they want to be happy.

My wife's Grandfather quit working at 40, had 4 kids, and worked paycheck to paycheck on his wife's teacher salary with debt up to the end. They had boats, a plane, were in the yacht club, living the high life on minimal income. He passed earlier this year at 87, and they had to sell his house (which had a mortgage on it) to pay off most of the debt and funeral expenses and it still didn't cover everything! My MIL and her siblings had to split paying off his debts. Point is, dude was a happy dude and gave zero fucks. Managed to make it to 87 without any real difficulty. Makes me rethink a lot TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:09 pm

It really is fine. It's not a race or a contest, everyone does what they want to be happy.

My wife's Grandfather quit working at 40, had 4 kids, and worked paycheck to paycheck on his wife's teacher salary with debt up to the end. They had boats, a plane, were in the yacht club, living the high life on minimal income. He passed earlier this year at 87, and they had to sell his house (which had a mortgage on it) to pay off most of the debt and funeral expenses and it still didn't cover everything! My MIL and her siblings had to split paying off his debts. Point is, dude was a happy dude and gave zero fucks. Managed to make it to 87 without any real difficulty. Makes me rethink a lot TBH.
Somewhere between that and people sitting on 10 mil driving a beater Ford Taurus and looking for low priced fryer chickens to fill up their freezer with lies the truth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Somewhere between that and people sitting on 10 mil driving a beater Ford Taurus and looking for low priced fryer chickens to fill up their freezer with lies the truth.
:dat:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

what do you have against a good value friend chicken amigo?
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm

what do you have against a good value friend chicken amigo?
Not a damn thing. But two sure-fired ways to zero in on a cheap ass are people who:

1. Obsess over which filling station is selling the cheapest 87, no matter how inconvenient it is and
2. Get a hard on when they open their mailer and see that Winn-Dixie is selling chicken for .49 cents a pound
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

It is what it is. :iono:

I could sell every possession I own and live off saltines and ketchup, but that’s not really how I want to live. :lol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I am not ok with grand-dad.. I would be fuming.
max225

#goals. I am really struggling to find the happy medium at this point... What is the proper way ... remains elusive to me, I wish I knew better. But everyone has such different "interpretations" of "affordability" even on this forum, most are "ok" here, certainly not the ima go 84 @ 1200 a month for a F150 while working a part time gig welding and making 4k a month... Cuz "i can afford" it at the time. I try to look 2-5 years at least. But even that tends to be quite unpredictable

It ruffles feathers when you start doing :math:

Article explaining uncertainty... so I was going to go on that VERY ROUTE this weekend with my friend... and this dude lives in the hood where I am currently looking to buy....
:wtf:
https://abc7news.com/deadly-shooting-si ... t/6303723/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:34 pm

#goals. I am really struggling to find the happy medium at this point... What is the proper way ... remains elusive to me, I wish I knew better. But everyone has such different "interpretations" of "affordability" even on this forum, most are "ok" here, certainly not the ima go 84 @ 1200 a month for a F150 while working a part time gig welding and making 4k a month... Cuz "i can afford" it at the time. I try to look 2-5 years at least. But even that tends to be quite unpredictable

Article explaining uncertainty... so I was going to go on that VERY ROUTE this weekend with my friend... and this dude lives in the hood where I am currently looking to buy....
Easy to fix this. Just buy a 30 year term life policy for the AZN. NOT WHOLE LIFE............that can pay off if you live or if you die. But throw $250 per month into the wind betting on your Danville Doctor's demise? Nothing will ever happen to you.
max225

I don’t care what happens to others when I’m dead they will have at least at this point a nice bed of money to cry themselves to sleep in.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm I don’t care what happens to others when I’m dead they will have at least at this point a nice bed of money to cry themselves to sleep in.
My point is that you won't be dead if you bet against yourself. Insurance companies win.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:34 pm

What the shit? How/why was this dude shot?

There's a lot of whackos out there, nothing you can do about that sadly.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 pm

But he didn't give a fuck, and lived a great life. Selfish as all hell, but there's lessons to be learned there while I'm torturing myself about high water bills and vehicle expenses that in the grand scheme of things are nothing.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 pm

But he didn't give a fuck, and lived a great life. Selfish as all hell, but there's lessons to be learned there while I'm torturing myself about high water bills and vehicle expenses that in the grand scheme of things are nothing.
I disagree by not being a fuck tard And working and saving for about 10 years now, I’m finally able to buy a house in a nice town. Sure I could have blown it on a bunch of new toys and Hugo boss suits but I think this is more important. At least for now
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:45 pm
I disagree by not being a fuck tard And working and saving for about 10 years now, I’m finally able to buy a house in a nice town. Sure I could have blown it on a bunch of new toys and Hugo boss suits but I think this is more important. At least for now
He managed to buy a fancy house in an area he shouldn't have been able to afford while he was working, then "retired' shortly after for reasons and just lived life.

But he was also a benefit of a time when fancy areas weren't all that expensive in southern california. The house they bought was in the 60's IIRC, he told me stories about "walking right into the bank and leaving with a check to build a house". Those days are long gone.

I do think real estate is a strong investment in the right area. Gotta pay to live somewhere, so if you can live in something that maintains or grows value a bit, that's solid. A lot of our wealth increases have been from real estate.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Naw breh. Hugo Boss every time.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

In reality you’re not wrong. Things are only as valuable as we/society perceive them to be and therefore assign that value to them. That’s why a bunch of people buy some dumbass sneakers for $750 when they retail in limited quantities for $225. Same owner of the brand also got $2-5 mil in PPP loans from the Covid stimulus.

It’s :amazing: and :disgust: at the same time. All a race to the bottom but might as well take advantage of it :ohwell:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Naw breh. Hugo Boss every time.
And let the relatives pay it off when I’m dead. That’s not ok, and I refuse to celebrate that
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Priorities are different to everyone. I think as long as you have a plan and goals to back whatever you are doing (choices being made) then you’re golden. Doesn’t matter if you’re blowing money as you get it or being as frugal as Warren Buffet, if you can justify it for your own personal reasons then who gives a shit.

However, there are people that do it just because they CAN and those are the suckers that make the wheels of capitalism really spin. $10/hour job but I’ll buy a brand new car because I CAN!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.