Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:12 pm

The financial advisor I saw last year said I was way too conservative in my finances. Jokes on him.

Yeah man I feel like I have to take this regardless.
Financial advisors suck. I had one tell me not to buy this house back in 2012/2013 for $110K that is now worth $400K+. "You really should be focusing on paying off your (5% APR) student loans" :sass:
thats just dumb. still have to have a place to live. Note would be cheaper than rent. Thats like a $700-800/mo all in 30 year at 110k.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 pm

Financial advisors suck. I had one tell me not to buy this house back in 2012/2013 for $110K that is now worth $400K+. "You really should be focusing on paying off your (5% APR) student loans" :sass:
thats just dumb. still have to have a place to live. Note would be cheaper than rent. Thats like a $700-800/mo all in 30 year at 110k.
We’ll rent was actually like $400 back then but I could’ve rented out the second bedroom in the house to even it out. I was making like $35-37k at the time so it would’ve been a slight stretch but should’ve done it nonetheless. :ohwell: Hindsight is 20/20.

I doubt I’ll ever hire a financial advisor again though.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:48 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:58 pm

We’ll rent was actually like $400 back then but I could’ve rented out the second bedroom in the house to even it out. I was making like $35-37k at the time so it would’ve been a slight stretch but should’ve done it nonetheless. :ohwell: Hindsight is 20/20.

I think financial advisers really only make sense when your assets reach 7 figures. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 am

I think financial advisers really only make sense when your assets reach 7 figures. :iono:
Perhaps then they do. Mostly anything they've told me (we have free people at work) is basically common sense to me anyway, but I guess some people are extra dumb and need that guidance.

"Starting to save early will build you way more wealth in the end" and things like that. Duh.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am
Perhaps then they do. Mostly anything they've told me (we have free people at work) is basically common sense to me anyway, but I guess some people are extra dumb and need that guidance.

"Starting to save early will build you way more wealth in the end" and things like that. Duh.
Yea...gotta remember that "common sense" to us is not the case for the vast majority of people. My sister uses the same financial adviser as my parents, only because she knows nothing about personal finance and doesn't care to learn. At least she's not pissing money away on stupidity, but when I talked to the same dude...he just talked about consolidating IRAs and his fee structure. He said he could help put some of my cash to work, but he'd just monitor it in index funds, and I wasn't talking about enough money to really make a difference because I'm too risk averse.

:bruh: I can do all that myself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Y’all should hear the stories I overhear since I sit next to our delinquency/collections department. I’m talking about $64,000 balance on $30,000 credit limit cards.

Insane.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am Y’all should hear the stories I overhear since I sit next to our delinquency/collections department. I’m talking about $64,000 balance on $30,000 credit limit cards.

Insane.
How is it even possible to be in debt double the limit? Interest accrual?
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am Y’all should hear the stories I overhear since I sit next to our delinquency/collections department. I’m talking about $64,000 balance on $30,000 credit limit cards.

Insane.
I have no idea. This case was pretty heavy because I think it involved family members who had account privileges so they probably did multiple cash advances, etc etc

Sadly I never know the entire story but just what I overhear the service reps saying.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 am
I have no idea. This case was pretty heavy because I think it involved family members who had account privileges so they probably did multiple cash advances, etc etc

Sadly I never know the entire story but just what I overhear the service reps saying.
That's one job I just couldn't do.

But, that's how most people in this country manage finances. We have some friends that sold a :haus: and had $50k in CC debt to pay off. They did and bought a cheaper house. They told us the other night that they're back up to $20k in the hole... after a few years. :wtf: STOP SPENDING WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE. It's not rocket science.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am

But, that's how most people in this country manage finances. We have some friends that sold a :haus: and had $50k in CC debt to pay off. They did and bought a cheaper house. They told us the other night that they're back up to $20k in the hole... after a few years. :wtf: STOP SPENDING WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE. It's not rocket science.
Yeaaaaa.

I always think that I could be doing better and should be doing better (we have some minimal CC debt due to one income and baby, but we offset by doing Uber Eats every now and then to make some side hustle cash). But I contribute to my 401k to at minimum the employer match (which is 4%, so 8% total) and we put money in the savings. We have about a 3 month emergency fund now which isn’t so bad considering we had nothing when :baby: came.

It’s all moderation truthfully. I haven’t bought a phone case in years. I don’t even want my GTI due to it having a payment. I’d much rather be happier in some appliance corolla for this part of my life. However the GTI is super depreciated so I’ll drive it until resale lines up with what I owe on it in the future.

BUT, hearing those phone calls puts so much in perspective. People making insanely terrible financial decisions. I don’t understand how these people manage to get through life. I stress over shit and they seem to be so :aintcare:

:ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am

Yeaaaaa.

I always think that I could be doing better and should be doing better (we have some minimal CC debt due to one income and baby, but we offset by doing Uber Eats every now and then to make some side hustle cash). But I contribute to my 401k to at minimum the employer match (which is 4%, so 8% total) and we put money in the savings. We have about a 3 month emergency fund now which isn’t so bad considering we had nothing when :baby: came.

It’s all moderation truthfully. I haven’t bought a phone case in years. I don’t even want my GTI due to it having a payment. I’d much rather be happier in some appliance corolla for this part of my life. However the GTI is super depreciated so I’ll drive it until resale lines up with what I owe on it in the future.

BUT, hearing those phone calls puts so much in perspective. People making insanely terrible financial decisions. I don’t understand how these people manage to get through life. I stress over shit and they seem to be so :aintcare:

That's it...know your life stage and live within those means. It's simple, but really difficult for many.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am
Yeaaaaa.

That's it...know your life stage and live within those means. It's simple, but really difficult for many.
The amount of people making less than $15 an hour and having a $750+ “TRUCK” payment here is :ludacris:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:31 am
The amount of people making less than $15 an hour and having a $750+ “TRUCK” payment here is :ludacris:
:disgust:

BUT trucks help make my paycheck, sooooo :aintcare:

:doomed: :thisisfine:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am That's it...know your life stage and live within those means. It's simple, but really difficult for many.
You know you need a truck. You deserve a truck. :truckyeah:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am Apparently I have a job offer coming my way according to recruiterbro. It’s the trash incinerator power company. That can’t tell me how much travel the position requires, or what plants I would be working at, or how long to expect for a “reasonable” commute.

Their idea of reasonable commute, if I understand it correctly, is up to 3 hrs away. And no pay for drive time.

:notsure:
Still no response from anyone on this :popcorn:
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:31 am
Don't tell them how much you pay for your little red toy car. Coulda had a V8 :bruh:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am Apparently I have a job offer coming my way according to recruiterbro. It’s the trash incinerator power company. That can’t tell me how much travel the position requires, or what plants I would be working at, or how long to expect for a “reasonable” commute.

Their idea of reasonable commute, if I understand it correctly, is up to 3 hrs away. And no pay for drive time.

:notsure:
:rolleyes:

Not a good sign, sadly. But that might end up being a blessing in disguise.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am

I mean, this job is a pile of shit either way. But yeah if they're that disorganized that they can't bring on a 3rd party contractor without the president of the company signing off, and it takes over a month just to get a yes or no..... that's pretty bad. The job would be managing capital projects and repair jobs. If they can't get it together to pay a single contractor how can they be expected to get it together to manage an expensive capital or repair job?

Disaster. I made decisions like this for my last company. I got an answer in a week with full approval. Give me one more week to get a computer and accounts set up and bring the guy in. 2 weeks. That's it. That's all it should take.

But I'm unemployed and not hearing anything back from anyone. I'm halfway through my UC benefits. And the weekly $600 MAGA store credits are expiring at the end of the month. So we're nearly at SHTF.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I need to find a way to enjoy a job I now abhor. :rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:48 am

I mean, this job is a pile of shit either way. But yeah if they're that disorganized that they can't bring on a 3rd party contractor without the president of the company signing off, and it takes over a month just to get a yes or no..... that's pretty bad. The job would be managing capital projects and repair jobs. If they can't get it together to pay a single contractor how can they be expected to get it together to manage an expensive capital or repair job?

Disaster. I made decisions like this for my last company. I got an answer in a week with full approval. Give me one more week to get a computer and accounts set up and bring the guy in. 2 weeks. That's it. That's all it should take.

But I'm unemployed and not hearing anything back from anyone. I'm halfway through my UC benefits. And the weekly $600 MAGA store credits are expiring at the end of the month. So we're nearly at SHTF.
Really shitty spot, man. I'm sorry

I know you know, but you're not alone. My wife can't even get a call back. She just started taking real estate classes to get her license. More to just pass the time, but I think she'd make a great realtor.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am I need to find a way to enjoy a job I now abhor. :rage:
There's no hope to "enjoy" but "tolerate" is doable IMO.

I've worked hard to mentally distance myself from my job, which has had mixed results, but better than just :rage: all the time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am I need to find a way to enjoy a job I now abhor. :rage:

I've worked hard to mentally distance myself from my job, which has had mixed results, but better than just :rage: all the time.
I used to truly enjoy my job though.

Can I identify as a black woman so I can get a promotion? That’s how it works, right?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 pm

I used to truly enjoy my job though.

Can I identify as a black woman so I can get a promotion? That’s how it works, right?
I think it will be from now on, indeed.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Work to live. Don’t live to work.

Make your time out of the office count.