Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
What would you identify as the factors in this sea change?
She found out that she isn't even valued by this company and is out of ideas on how to become valued by anyone. The intern from her old grad school program was just offered a little more than double what she makes... when she's been there for almost 7 years fighting tooth and nail. (he turned it down by the way, he got a better offer)

It's up to me now.
Jesus that’s ridiculous. It’s starting to sound like someone higher up has something against her and is making it personal now.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm She found out that she isn't even valued by this company and is out of ideas on how to become valued by anyone. The intern from her old grad school program was just offered a little more than double what she makes... when she's been there for almost 7 years fighting tooth and nail. (he turned it down by the way, he got a better offer)

It's up to me now.
Jesus that’s ridiculous. It’s starting to sound like someone higher up has something against her and is making it personal now.
It's not unique to here, it's unique to her. The best offer she got out of undergrad was a $30k job from which she was quickly laid off. Went to grad school and did fine, but all of her classmates got multiple offers in great locations making 50+% more than the one offer she could get in a shit location. Since then all of them keep moving up and up - while she's still not caught up to where they were straight out of school, 7 years later in the best economic run in the history of the world.

No one has ever valued her anywhere and this direct evidence was the last straw. She's sick of it and I don't blame her.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm
SAWCE wrote:
It's not unique to here, it's unique to her. The best offer she got out of undergrad was a $30k job from which she was quickly laid off. Went to grad school and did fine, but all of her classmates got multiple offers in great locations making 50+% more than the one offer she could get in a shit location. Since then all of them keep moving up and up - while she's still not caught up to where they were straight out of school, 7 years later in the best economic run in the history of the world.

No one has ever valued her anywhere and this direct evidence was the last straw. She's sick of it and I don't blame her.
Dang man, that sucks :sad:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote:
What would you identify as the factors in this sea change?
She found out that she isn't even valued by this company and is out of ideas on how to become valued by anyone. The intern from her old grad school program was just offered a little more than double what she makes... when she's been there for almost 7 years fighting tooth and nail. (he turned it down by the way, he got a better offer)

It's up to me now.
:wtf:
Seems like someone has it in for her. Who did she piss off?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm It's not unique to here, it's unique to her. The best offer she got out of undergrad was a $30k job from which she was quickly laid off. Went to grad school and did fine, but all of her classmates got multiple offers in great locations making 50+% more than the one offer she could get in a shit location. Since then all of them keep moving up and up - while she's still not caught up to where they were straight out of school, 7 years later in the best economic run in the history of the world.

Dang man, that sucks :sad:
:dat:
:(
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote:

That's sad man, people aren't tuned into the various nuisances that each member of their team brings to the table, they always focus on the same metrics often overlooking qualities that are less in their face.

You're pretty cool for stepping up to the plate.
wap

It's up to me now.
So, what's the plan?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:

It's up to me now.
So, what's the plan?
No plan yet. Probably finish my degree while doing some coding bootcamp and then beg everyone I know in tech to get me an entry-level pay area job. It'll be a downgrade for awhile but apparently end up better than anything she can achieve.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm
wap wrote: So, what's the plan?
No plan yet. Probably finish my degree while doing some coding bootcamp and then beg everyone I know in tech to get me an entry-level pay area job. It'll be a downgrade for awhile but apparently end up better than anything she can achieve.
Best of luck. Like I said if you need me to look at your resume or if you find anything in the DC-Metro area the interests you let me know.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

SAWCE wrote:

Dang man, that's rough.
Think it's just plain sexism?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm No plan yet. Probably finish my degree while doing some coding bootcamp and then beg everyone I know in tech to get me an entry-level pay area job. It'll be a downgrade for awhile but apparently end up better than anything she can achieve.
Best of luck. Like I said if you need me to look at your resume or if you find anything in the DC-Metro area the interests you let me know.
He'll be diplomatic.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sorry to hear about the wife's career woes :mahtroy: ... sounds like :bs: :sad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I got a callback about a job in Knoxville. just the first hr/recruiter filter. this is kinda piss poor timing.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 pm

He'll be diplomatic.
*shakes hand with a smile* “now go fuck yourself”

HouseOfCardsIntro.mp4
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm
wap wrote: So, what's the plan?
Texas has good paying jobs with much cheaper rent :mahman:

Dont get so hung up on communism to over look blooming tech regions. Hell you can throw a dart and hit 5 fortune 500 companies in austin alone.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It's up to me now.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Round one went well enough to make it to round 2. :notbad:

Round 2 is with 2 senior guys, and I used to work with one of them.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am Round one went well enough to make it to round 2. :notbad:

Hell yeah dude!
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am Round one went well enough to make it to round 2. :notbad:

:fuckyeah:
Sounds like you got dis. :like:
razr390

Have a fun opposite career chat post. :thisisfine:

Had an interesting walk-out today that I had to do. My company has mortgage contractors working for us and someone on that team asked their supervisor if we (my company) are open on MLK day (since companies don’t always celebrate the same holidays, especially consulting/contracting firms). The supervisor sent an email to his entire team letting them know “Although our client will be open for MLK day, you are free to take the day off if you want”. Email was received by his team, and then one of the contractors read it and said out loud, like OUT LOUD, “why do I care? I’m not black”

Whole lotta :wtf: :fshitup: :nope: :rage: from everyone surrounding her cubicle, including the supervisor which sat DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM HER within earshot.

Got with her company’s HR and she was walked out immediately. She asked if she’d be able to come back eventually.

:nope:

I told her she will be trespassed by the PD if she comes back to our property and to direct any questions to her company’s HR. But then they told me they fired her too.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

We’ll see how these next rounds play out... I’d essentially be building the role from the ground up which would be fun.

:notsure: this is the right role for me at this time, need to learn some more as I talk with more people.
razr390

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm We’ll see how these next rounds play out... I’d essentially be building the role from the ground up which would be fun.

:notsure: this is the right role for me at this time, need to learn some more as I talk with more people.
If you’re building it from the ground up then it’s most likely a good role for you to at least experience and make the decision later about.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm We’ll see how these next rounds play out... I’d essentially be building the role from the ground up which would be fun.

fake it til you make it :mahman:
razr390

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 pm

fake it til you make it :mahman:
:mahtroy:
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm Have a fun opposite career chat post. :thisisfine:

Had an interesting walk-out today that I had to do. My company has mortgage contractors working for us and someone on that team asked their supervisor if we (my company) are open on MLK day (since companies don’t always celebrate the same holidays, especially consulting/contracting firms). The supervisor sent an email to his entire team letting them know “Although our client will be open for MLK day, you are free to take the day off if you want”. Email was received by his team, and then one of the contractors read it and said out loud, like OUT LOUD, “why do I care? I’m not black”

Whole lotta :wtf: :fshitup: :nope: :rage: from everyone surrounding her cubicle, including the supervisor which sat DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM HER within earshot.

Got with her company’s HR and she was walked out immediately. She asked if she’d be able to come back eventually.

:nope:

I told her she will be trespassed by the PD if she comes back to our property and to direct any questions to her company’s HR. But then they told me they fired her too.
Wow, what a dumbass.