Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Fuck yes griff.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

Just had a really good conversation with dudebro. He was very open about many of the people there running the place aging - they need young blood and feel like I'm it. They said they really do prefer someone local but feel like I have enough going for me that they are willing to gamble on me on the remote position (sounds like this has bitten them with sales guys in the past). He suspects I'd eventually want to relocate to New Bern to grow more and would be welcome to do so... to his point, New Bern is a very pretty small town and maybe someday could be great for us, we just don't want to give up city life at this point... not something I'm worried about either way.

He admitted he's never had the balls to ask the owner what will happen to the company if/when he moves on, said that te company is the owner's life and he'll be running it until the end, his best guess is basically leaving it to the employees type thing.

He addressed the less pay in the beginning thing head on, basically said the company is cash rich, owns a bunch of land/the factory outright, and said just ask for a signing bonus when I speak to HR.

We talked travel as well, outside of trade shows it's pretty much on me, he said some dudes travel 150-200 days/year, others more like 50 or less.

This job is clearly a "write my own ticket" kind of thing, total opposite of my current corp. vibe gig. He also said they will put up :tits: and I for a weekend before I start if I did, show us around town, they all want to hang out, etc. Kind of strange but :neat: .

We'll see what the offer/negotiation is, but I think I'll probably take it.
Take it.
:dat:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

Just had a really good conversation with dudebro. He was very open about many of the people there running the place aging - they need young blood and feel like I'm it. They said they really do prefer someone local but feel like I have enough going for me that they are willing to gamble on me on the remote position (sounds like this has bitten them with sales guys in the past). He suspects I'd eventually want to relocate to New Bern to grow more and would be welcome to do so... to his point, New Bern is a very pretty small town and maybe someday could be great for us, we just don't want to give up city life at this point... not something I'm worried about either way.

He admitted he's never had the balls to ask the owner what will happen to the company if/when he moves on, said that te company is the owner's life and he'll be running it until the end, his best guess is basically leaving it to the employees type thing.

He addressed the less pay in the beginning thing head on, basically said the company is cash rich, owns a bunch of land/the factory outright, and said just ask for a signing bonus when I speak to HR.

We talked travel as well, outside of trade shows it's pretty much on me, he said some dudes travel 150-200 days/year, others more like 50 or less.

This job is clearly a "write my own ticket" kind of thing, total opposite of my current corp. vibe gig. He also said they will put up :tits: and I for a weekend before I start if I did, show us around town, they all want to hang out, etc. Kind of strange but :neat: .

We'll see what the offer/negotiation is, but I think I'll probably take it.
Take it.
Very much :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

nakenyon wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Take it.
Who dis?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm
nakenyon wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Who dis?
41 post motherfucker.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Who dis?
41 post motherfucker.
Super active on the SnapFap :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm

41 post motherfucker.
I don't do any of that bullshit Ron. DFD, fuck the rest.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm 41 post motherfucker.
The preferred fapping locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Dfd is my social network.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Dfd is my social network.
:mahman:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Starting to settle in at the new gig.

I spent the first day getting set up, and the last two days just kind of floating around and watching up front to get an idea of the flow and how my writers handle people and things. I've got 14 writers. 3 are rockstars. Two are completely useless and I'll need them gone ASAP. Everyone else is decent enough.
I'm struggling with the transition to being "the boss". I've got a couple of writers that I just can't get to open up to me at all... just one word answers and a general uneasiness because of "the new boss". I'm used to just handling things myself instead of having my team step up to do it the way it should be done. I guess it will come in time.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig.

I spent the first day getting set up, and the last two days just kind of floating around and watching up front to get an idea of the flow and how my writers handle people and things. I've got 14 writers. 3 are rockstars. Two are completely useless and I'll need them gone ASAP. Everyone else is decent enough.
I'm struggling with the transition to being "the boss". I've got a couple of writers that I just can't get to open up to me at all... just one word answers and a general uneasiness because of "the new boss". I'm used to just handling things myself instead of having my team step up to do it the way it should be done. I guess it will come in time.
The awkwardness as a new boss will always be there. I think the best way to handle it from my non-leadership experience is just let things go the flow that they’ve been going for the first few weeks and then see what needs to be improved and then make changes as needed because otherwise they’ll see you as the outsider trying to shake things up
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig.

I've never really been more than an individual contributor but imagine this transition is a pretty challenging one for anybody starting out. It sounds like everyone has 100% confidence in you to get it done, so I'm sure you're a good fit and it'll fall into place naturally over time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Had the offer come in this morning... basically was the same as last time less the relocation pay. I countered asking for the five year mark of the PTO plan and a rather large sign on bonus (commission won't really come in for 6-12 months so initially, this would be a pay cut).

:popcorn:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Good. Good. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic ask.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

They accepted :fuckyeah:

:excited: and nervous about another change, but don't feel sad to e leaving this place.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 pm They accepted :fuckyeah:

:excited: and nervous about another change, but don't feel sad to e leaving this place.
Congrats man!
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Awesome dood. You were unequivocally unenthused about your current gig.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Congrats my man!
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: that’s awesome Griff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sweet! Congrats, hope it works out for you!
wap

nakenyon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm Good. Good. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic ask.

wap

:fuckyeah:
Great news! Good on you for asking and getting the bonus and WFH status.
wap

So, do you have a start date? And when is pirate letting coming?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 pm So, do you have a start date? And when is pirate letting coming?
Just received the updated official offer - I requested a start date of 11/18 because I am taking some time off in early November for :drunk: bachelor partying in NOLA. I'm also having what looks to be my best month yet here for October so I want to have the month completed before putting in notice in case they just walk me out (doubtful), don't want to miss out on what will hopefully be a great commission. I am a little bit :sad: to walk away from the cash cow, but the way things are structured here, it would be harder and harder to make as much commission over time plus no pay increases, versus the new place. 2020 might quite not pan out as well but it seems like a place I can plop down for a number of years and grow overtime, plus I will enjoy being back in that industry and the 60/40 WFH/road split versus 95% cube lyfe.