Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:fuckyeah: griff
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm Sooo... the director of sales bro called me back and he said he went all :wtf: on HR for not offering me the job remotely. They think I'm what the company needs (clearly they want some youngs and I think people with background/experience in broadcast and audio consoles is rare) for the future. We will talk tomorrow and it sounds like they will be extending a new offer and possibly opening an office here in Charlotte (they have a software developer who lives here as well).

:popcorn:
That’s awesome.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm Sooo... the director of sales bro called me back and he said he went all :wtf: on HR for not offering me the job remotely. They think I'm what the company needs (clearly they want some youngs and I think people with background/experience in broadcast and audio consoles is rare) for the future. We will talk tomorrow and it sounds like they will be extending a new offer and possibly opening an office here in Charlotte (they have a software developer who lives here as well).

was this from the place that required relocation or hellish 3 hour commute?
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:45 am

Yes it seems to be small company that’s in NC
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

well all-fukn-righty den.

nice! :meatspin:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah no commute sitch, they "required" relocation to New Bern, which is four hours away on the NC coast. It was odd because they indicated relocation wouldn't be required through most of the process.

He said HR was out today so we will talk Monday. Fortunately this gives me a chance to look over the previous offer deets and think about what I may ask for.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:00 pm

Yeah no commute sitch, they "required" relocation to New Bern, which is four hours away on the NC coast. It was odd because they indicated relocation wouldn't be required through most of the process.

He said HR was out today so we will talk Monday. Fortunately this gives me a chance to look over the previous offer deets and think about what I may ask for.
:excited:
Good luck, dude!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So sales boss dudebro texted me today “I met with Pam (HR) and we got everything in order, she will reach out to you this week with a new offer, so we don’t need to talk today at 3. Hope we can get you on board”

:wtf:

I said I’d still like to talk, he was “on a call” but said he’ll call me tonight.

So much weirdness with this company... I do think I’d enjoy it way more than my current gig but am a bit scared at the disjointedness going down.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm So sales boss dudebro texted me today “I met with Pam (HR) and we got everything in order, she will reach out to you this week with a new offer, so we don’t need to talk today at 3. Hope we can get you on board”

I said I’d still like to talk, he was “on a call” but said he’ll call me tonight.

So much weirdness with this company... I do think I’d enjoy it way more than my current gig but am a bit scared at the disjointedness going down.
:notsure: about the level of :lolwut: going on here.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm So sales boss dudebro texted me today “I met with Pam (HR) and we got everything in order, she will reach out to you this week with a new offer, so we don’t need to talk today at 3. Hope we can get you on board”

“Pam will send you a PowerPoint explaining everything. Please send back your response in PowerPoint format by no later than COB Wednesday. :mahman:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sounds somewhat shady? :notsure: interesting
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Not really. Any offer is definitely going to come from HR
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:49 pm

“Pam will send you a PowerPoint explaining everything. Please send back your response in PowerPoint format by no later than COB Wednesday. :mahman:
:deadhorse:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:31 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:49 pm
:deadhorse:
:notwrong:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:56 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Not really. Any offer is definitely going to come from HR
:popcorn: :waiting: :gonbgud:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Soooooo it took a month for FCA to give me an offer from when the recruiter said they would. I just figured normal corporate bs was happening. But in actuality it was a sign of the shit show I was getting into. You might want to proceed with caution...

The thing is...I still don't regret my move. In fact, I don't regret any job move. The "what if" would taunt me for years, I just have to find out how an opportunity pans out if I like the sound of it. Not to mention the pay is better, so at bare minimum, I'm ahead there.

All jobs have aspects that blow. All jobs have aspects that rock. If the good outweigh the bad, you're winning.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Soooooo it took a month for FCA to give me an offer from when the recruiter said they would. I just figured normal corporate bs was happening. But in actuality it was a sign of the shit show I was getting into. You might want to proceed with caution...

The thing is...I still don't regret my move. In fact, I don't regret any job move. The "what if" would taunt me for years, I just have to find out how an opportunity pans out if I like the sound of it. Not to mention the pay is better, so at bare minimum, I'm ahead there.

All jobs have aspects that blow. All jobs have aspects that rock. If the good outweigh the bad, you're winning.
The pay situation with this move is odd. My current gig has paid way better than expected this year... the way they do commission is really bazaar and pretty much penalizes you the longer you stay in the role, so I’m pretty confident my pay at this place will dwindle over time but this move would likely be a pay cut in the first year, despite a better base salary and better commission plan long term.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

To the point of regrets... you are probably right, I’ve disliked this job from like day three so not much to be sad about.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 am To the point of regrets... you are probably right, I’ve disliked this job from like day three so not much to be sad about.
Think about what you'd be giving up by going to the new company. Anything you'll miss? Pay might be great now, but I agree that you could get screwed in year 2+. I'd personally be banking what you can while looking for more stability, this might provide it.

Even if it is a cluster, it's closer to the industry you like AND it has remote working AND more travel right? It seems like it's more down your interest path overall. Even if it's horrible and you bail in 6-12 mos, it's at least a new experience. I've found that I take something away from each company I work at, and adding those things up makes me feel :notbad: about my overall professional development.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 am To the point of regrets... you are probably right, I’ve disliked this job from like day three so not much to be sad about.
Think about what you'd be giving up by going to the new company. Anything you'll miss? Pay might be great now, but I agree that you could get screwed in year 2+. I'd personally be banking what you can while looking for more stability, this might provide it.

Even if it is a cluster, it's closer to the industry you like AND it has remote working AND more travel right? It seems like it's more down your interest path overall. Even if it's horrible and you bail in 6-12 mos, it's at least a new experience. I've found that I take something away from each company I work at, and adding those things up makes me feel :notbad: about my overall professional development.
Just had a really good conversation with dudebro. He was very open about many of the people there running the place aging - they need young blood and feel like I'm it. They said they really do prefer someone local but feel like I have enough going for me that they are willing to gamble on me on the remote position (sounds like this has bitten them with sales guys in the past). He suspects I'd eventually want to relocate to New Bern to grow more and would be welcome to do so... to his point, New Bern is a very pretty small town and maybe someday could be great for us, we just don't want to give up city life at this point... not something I'm worried about either way.

He admitted he's never had the balls to ask the owner what will happen to the company if/when he moves on, said that te company is the owner's life and he'll be running it until the end, his best guess is basically leaving it to the employees type thing.

He addressed the less pay in the beginning thing head on, basically said the company is cash rich, owns a bunch of land/the factory outright, and said just ask for a signing bonus when I speak to HR.

We talked travel as well, outside of trade shows it's pretty much on me, he said some dudes travel 150-200 days/year, others more like 50 or less.

This job is clearly a "write my own ticket" kind of thing, total opposite of my current corp. vibe gig. He also said they will put up :tits: and I for a weekend before I start if I did, show us around town, they all want to hang out, etc. Kind of strange but :neat: .

We'll see what the offer/negotiation is, but I think I'll probably take it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

Just had a really good conversation with dudebro. He was very open about many of the people there running the place aging - they need young blood and feel like I'm it. They said they really do prefer someone local but feel like I have enough going for me that they are willing to gamble on me on the remote position (sounds like this has bitten them with sales guys in the past). He suspects I'd eventually want to relocate to New Bern to grow more and would be welcome to do so... to his point, New Bern is a very pretty small town and maybe someday could be great for us, we just don't want to give up city life at this point... not something I'm worried about either way.

He admitted he's never had the balls to ask the owner what will happen to the company if/when he moves on, said that te company is the owner's life and he'll be running it until the end, his best guess is basically leaving it to the employees type thing.

He addressed the less pay in the beginning thing head on, basically said the company is cash rich, owns a bunch of land/the factory outright, and said just ask for a signing bonus when I speak to HR.

We talked travel as well, outside of trade shows it's pretty much on me, he said some dudes travel 150-200 days/year, others more like 50 or less.

This job is clearly a "write my own ticket" kind of thing, total opposite of my current corp. vibe gig. He also said they will put up :tits: and I for a weekend before I start if I did, show us around town, they all want to hang out, etc. Kind of strange but :neat: .

:notbad:

Could be a 5/7 opportunity IMO. If you get good vibes from the guy you report to, then :notbad:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah that sounds pretty solid Griff.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

Take it.
:dat:

Griffdog, you are dominating life so hard right now you might to able to stop global warming by looking at the sun.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Take it.

Griffdog, you are dominating life so hard right now you might to able to stop global warming by looking at the sun.
Climate change :bruh:

Going to need to tax the sheeple before moves like that are made.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Take it.

:wub: