Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:16 pm No interview needed. Old boss called me at lunch today and he basically said "You know what the job is, so when are you starting?"

Money is solid, if at the lower end of the scale, but will be revisited every 3 months for the first year while I settle in and start taking on more responsibility. Starting pay is a small increase ($2k) from where I am now, but I'll see a real savings of $3k/yr in commute costs with fuel and tolls, and I cut the commute from around 90 minutes to around 30 each way. Schedule is Two 12-9pm shifts a week Mon/Wed, and one Saturday a month, PLUS the time i get back from the commute...

All of this is on the understanding it's a long term hire, to grow me into the gig over time. President and GM are on board with this given my prior history with the company and willing to develop me, ultimate long term goal being that a service director job could be 5-10 years down the line depending on retirement plans. My strengths there were CSI and product knowledge. They want me to focus on developing that with the writers there, and help bring up the CSI and retention numbers with Toyota's impending change in CSI programs.

Tons of upside to this move. The only real risks are limited to myself and how I cope with management on this scale - instead of 3-4 techs, it's 14 writers and 42 techs.
:fuckyeah:

You can handle this dude. When do you start?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Wait so you only work 2 days a week?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:08 pm Wait so you only work 2 days a week?
Oh, no... 3 7:30-5 shifts and two night shifts.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Congrats Fled! Let me know when i can score some carbon fiber TRD license plate frames.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:16 pm Congrats Fled! Let me know when i can score some carbon fiber TRD license plate frames.
:lolgasm: maybe rock it on the Lexus IS company car you had if you're still in VA.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:16 pm No interview needed. Old boss called me at lunch today and he basically said "You know what the job is, so when are you starting?"

Money is solid, if at the lower end of the scale, but will be revisited every 3 months for the first year while I settle in and start taking on more responsibility. Starting pay is a small increase ($2k) from where I am now, but I'll see a real savings of $3k/yr in commute costs with fuel and tolls, and I cut the commute from around 90 minutes to around 30 each way. Schedule is Two 12-9pm shifts a week Mon/Wed, and one Saturday a month, PLUS the time i get back from the commute...

All of this is on the understanding it's a long term hire, to grow me into the gig over time. President and GM are on board with this given my prior history with the company and willing to develop me, ultimate long term goal being that a service director job could be 5-10 years down the line depending on retirement plans. My strengths there were CSI and product knowledge. They want me to focus on developing that with the writers there, and help bring up the CSI and retention numbers with Toyota's impending change in CSI programs.

Tons of upside to this move. The only real risks are limited to myself and how I cope with management on this scale - instead of 3-4 techs, it's 14 writers and 42 techs.
Fuckin' A dude!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Blindsided current management with my offer and they want an opportunity to counter, but it would involve no change in job role and just throw money at the problem, and it still doesn’t address double digits of income I’ve lost out on from the change in job when I started.

Came home, talked to wifey and took the Toyota gig.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 pm Blindsided current management with my offer and they want an opportunity to counter, but it would involve no change in job role and just throw money at the problem, and it still doesn’t address double digits of income I’ve lost out on from the change in job when I started.

:fuckyeah:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 pm Blindsided current management with my offer and they want an opportunity to counter, but it would involve no change in job role and just throw money at the problem, and it still doesn’t address double digits of income I’ve lost out on from the change in job when I started.

The hours saved commuting are worth it. I like this move for you. :like:
wap

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:12 pm

The hours saved commuting are worth it. I like this move for you. :like:
Yea, that's yuuge.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Sounds like a great move all around. :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

No counter offer today. Formal offer arrived from new gig.

Pirate letter drops tomorrow at 745 am.
razr390

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:17 pm No counter offer today. Formal offer arrived from new gig.

Avast ye scoundrels
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:17 pm No counter offer today. Formal offer arrived from new gig.

:fuckyeah: :popcorn:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap

Update?
:well:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am Update?
:well:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

We need a German Griff update too..
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm We need a German Griff update too..
We do!

:wtf: :well:
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm We need a German Griff update too..
We do!

:dat: :disappoint:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:08 pm
We do!

who :dat: ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Went well. They knew they’d lost me. My manager told me straight out there was no way to compete with the offer, that it was an unbelievable opportunity and I’d be insane to turn it down. Told me I’ve always got a job there if I need or want it and would be welcomed back with open arms.

The GM/controller came by after the news broke and said the same thing, and apologized that the whole job situation got screwed up with the other writer coming back from McLaren. Said he was surprised I stayed and impressed I stayed as long as I did to try and make it work. Told me the only thing he could realistically offer me was relocation to Newport Beach, CA to McLaren or Lambo.

The owner came back late afternoon and told me he wanted to sit down next week, but told me it was a fantastic move and I’d excel and deserved the opportunity. He said he was sorry it wound up being a perfect hire but just poor timing, and I’m going to be a big loss.

Amazing feedback and nice to know I’ve left my mark in my 2 years there.
razr390

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 pm Went well. They knew they’d lost me. My manager told me straight out there was no way to compete with the offer, that it was an unbelievable opportunity and I’d be insane to turn it down. Told me I’ve always got a job there if I need or want it and would be welcomed back with open arms.

The GM/controller came by after the news broke and said the same thing, and apologized that the whole job situation got screwed up with the other writer coming back from McLaren. Said he was surprised I stayed and impressed I stayed as long as I did to try and make it work. Told me the only thing he could realistically offer me was relocation to Newport Beach, CA to McLaren or Lambo.

The owner came back late afternoon and told me he wanted to sit down next week, but told me it was a fantastic move and I’d excel and deserved the opportunity. He said he was sorry it wound up being a perfect hire but just poor timing, and I’m going to be a big loss.

dude that is epic. win/win on all fronts.
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:12 pm
wap wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm

who :dat: ?
The German company that Griff interviewed with recently.
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 pm Went well. They knew they’d lost me. My manager told me straight out there was no way to compete with the offer, that it was an unbelievable opportunity and I’d be insane to turn it down. Told me I’ve always got a job there if I need or want it and would be welcomed back with open arms.

dude that is epic. win/win on all fronts.
:dat:
Complete :fuckyeah: scenario right there.