Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm So service director at Toyota liked my plan to grow into the management job, despite it being poor timing based off their immediate needs.

My old service manager was there in the interview, and is now director at a sister store. Both of them have apparently told ownership its worth investment in me.

I got a call yesterday asking me to interview at the sister store under my old boss who has usually always had my back. I go in Tuesday evening and as long as they’re serious about grooming me and not throwing me to the wolves, this is probably a done deal if were all on the same page.

An hour after that call, shit went down at my store that ended up with all of the techs effectively going on strike for half a day on a “long lunch”, one getting fired as a result of that and one quitting in “solidarity”. Another tech quit a week ago to move down south and decided to not finish out his two weeks after this bullshit.

The base Macan is changing the brand and not for the better. Now that the lawsuits are over from Porsche's failed VW takeover, VW is taking more control and the behind the scenes changes with warranty coverage and documentation are putting the squeeze on fixed ops. They’re evolving from a hyper exclusive premium luxury brand to something on par with BMW's volume. Established service employees are not handling this change well, and the cracks are spreading quickly.
I'm amazed by how much Porsche is advertising the Macan right now in Detroit, and the target market... 30-40yo chicks. I imagine that's a huge swing in the brand's demographics, and I'm curious what that does to the brand in the long run. Probably not going to be good, especially considering the volume.

Time to bail. Fingers crossed that this opportunity works out for you man!
we dont have any ads for them. like zero. The wife still loves it.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm So service director at Toyota liked my plan to grow into the management job, despite it being poor timing based off their immediate needs.

My old service manager was there in the interview, and is now director at a sister store. Both of them have apparently told ownership its worth investment in me.

I got a call yesterday asking me to interview at the sister store under my old boss who has usually always had my back. I go in Tuesday evening and as long as they’re serious about grooming me and not throwing me to the wolves, this is probably a done deal if were all on the same page.

An hour after that call, shit went down at my store that ended up with all of the techs effectively going on strike for half a day on a “long lunch”, one getting fired as a result of that and one quitting in “solidarity”. Another tech quit a week ago to move down south and decided to not finish out his two weeks after this bullshit.

The base Macan is changing the brand and not for the better. Now that the lawsuits are over from Porsche's failed VW takeover, VW is taking more control and the behind the scenes changes with warranty coverage and documentation are putting the squeeze on fixed ops. They’re evolving from a hyper exclusive premium luxury brand to something on par with BMW's volume. Established service employees are not handling this change well, and the cracks are spreading quickly.
I'm amazed by how much Porsche is advertising the Macan right now in Detroit, and the target market... 30-40yo chicks. I imagine that's a huge swing in the brand's demographics, and I'm curious what that does to the brand in the long run. Probably not going to be good, especially considering the volume.

I’ve texted Fled about 5-6 times about my mom wanting a Macan. I keep telling her maintenance is a down payment every year
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm

I’ve texted Fled about 5-6 times about my mom wanting a Macan. I keep telling her maintenance is a down payment every year
on the poverty 4cyl, how is maintenance worse than anything else? Pcar tax on things like brakes will be a tad higher but consumables cant be that terrible. Sure, if you go to the diller for everything you'll spend $1200 on an oil change, like a co worker of mine.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

dubshow wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:44 pm

on the poverty 4cyl, how is maintenance worse than anything else? Pcar tax on things like brakes will be a tad higher but consumables cant be that terrible. Sure, if you go to the diller for everything you'll spend $1200 on an oil change, like a co worker of mine.
From Fled:
Expensive.

$450 oil service every 10k miles. $280 brake flush every 20k. $780 spark plugs every 30k. $1000 PDK service every 40k. $370 air filters every 40k.

$1400 brake jobs on the front and $1100 on the rear. $1600 tire sets. All usually 30-45k miles.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:47 pm

From Fled:
Expensive.

$450 oil service every 10k miles. $280 brake flush every 20k. $780 spark plugs every 30k. $1000 PDK service every 40k. $370 air filters every 40k.

$1400 brake jobs on the front and $1100 on the rear. $1600 tire sets. All usually 30-45k miles.
You described a gti at Jack Daniel Volkswagen
brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:23 pm

From Fled:

Somewhere in the New Jersey Meadowlands, :crang: sister just rolled over in her premature grave.....
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

From Fled:

:lolol:

my thoughts exactly. Any dealer can rake you over the coals but in fact, the DYI on a Macan is no worse than my :gorf:

Brake flush every 20k? :yeahok:

Air filter? $370?? :nope:

$47+ ship and 30 mins time. Got the v6 version with two? okay, double that.
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/PO-95B129620

Why are people so scared of a 2.0t with a pcar badge? If you got the $100k turbo model to track, well okay then, you are an idiot and can pay the 911 tax on a grocery getting SUV/CUV

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'm amazed by how much Porsche is advertising the Macan right now in Detroit, and the target market... 30-40yo chicks.
how many 30-40yo chicks work at GM?

https://jalopnik.com/the-general-motors ... 1838176792

:nuke:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:45 am
I'm amazed by how much Porsche is advertising the Macan right now in Detroit, and the target market... 30-40yo chicks.
how many 30-40yo chicks work at GM?

https://jalopnik.com/the-general-motors ... 1838176792

:nuke:
Right, makes no sense.

Will be really interesting what happens with the GM union talks...Ford and FCA are all :popcorn: :thisisfine:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am

my thoughts exactly. Any dealer can rake you over the coals but in fact, the DYI on a Macan is no worse than my :gorf:

Brake flush every 20k? :yeahok:

Air filter? $370?? :nope:

$47+ ship and 30 mins time. Got the v6 version with two? okay, double that.
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/PO-95B129620

Why are people so scared of a 2.0t with a pcar badge? If you got the $100k turbo model to track, well okay then, you are an idiot and can pay the 911 tax on a grocery getting SUV/CUV

:dat:

I own a BMW which everyone seems to think are "so expensive to maintain" ... and if you DIY it's really not bad at all. So far it is actually one of the easier cars I've owned to DIY maintenance on, far easier to change fluids/filters/plugs than my C5.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I still wouldn't buy/condone my :tits: getting a Macan :doe: :iono:

Seems like a bad idea and it will attract the wrong kind of attention.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 am

Somewhere in the New Jersey Meadowlands, :crang: sister just rolled over in her premature grave.....
No doubt in a garbage landfill
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 pm
:yesth: I knew there was something something garbage men but couldn't recall
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I would raise hell on them. I have never heard of this sort of BS with BMW
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I wonder how much :crang: is getting ass raped by the mazduh diller, that's what he gets for screwing zilhuge over because it's too far :derp: :pussy: :gay: :disgust:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm
wap wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 pm

:yesth: I knew there was something something garbage men but couldn't recall
IIRC the full story was that Mama :crang: was railing about not letting :crang: 's sister take out the garbage because she might get kidnapped walking between the back door and the alley. :wtf: :fullretard: :facepalm:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

From Fled:

:dat: speaking of Jack Daniels, when I drove to Rehoboth Beach over the labor day weekend, I saw an azn dude driving a passat with those brackets, makes me wonder how much interest he is paying it for :notsure:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm I still wouldn't buy/condone my :tits: getting a Macan :doe: :iono:

my aunt, aka uncles wife, when he had the Macan S in Turkey, she borrows it for her work commute as she's a professor at a university thats pretty much in bumfuck nowhere just outside of Istanbul. She told me her students were helping out loading in her car and once she used the remote to open the trunk, the students jaw's were dropped. My uncle is certainly not rich, he always gets his cars used, given how cars are more expensive there in comparison.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Interview with Toyota tomorrow evening.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm I still wouldn't buy/condone my :tits: getting a Macan :doe: :iono:

my aunt, aka uncles wife, when he had the Macan S in Turkey, she borrows it for her work commute as she's a professor at a university thats pretty much in bumfuck nowhere just outside of Istanbul. She told me her students were helping out loading in her car and once she used the remote to open the trunk, the students jaw's were dropped. My uncle is certainly not rich, he always gets his cars used, given how cars are more expensive there in comparison.
Yeah the last thing I want is my soon to be wife buying gas in the hood in a damn Macan... that’s just asking for trouble. The C5 gets enough attention and it’s a 16 year old Chevy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm Interview with Toyota tomorrow evening.
:fuckyeah: hope it goes well man!

I’m hoping to hear back from the German company today, they said mid this week.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 am
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm Interview with Toyota tomorrow evening.
:fuckyeah: hope it goes well man!

I’m hoping to hear back from the German company today, they said mid this week.
Good luck to both of you!
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:31 pm
:popcorn:

:well:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

No interview needed. Old boss called me at lunch today and he basically said "You know what the job is, so when are you starting?"

Money is solid, if at the lower end of the scale, but will be revisited every 3 months for the first year while I settle in and start taking on more responsibility. Starting pay is a small increase ($2k) from where I am now, but I'll see a real savings of $3k/yr in commute costs with fuel and tolls, and I cut the commute from around 90 minutes to around 30 each way. Schedule is Two 12-9pm shifts a week Mon/Wed, and one Saturday a month, PLUS the time i get back from the commute...

All of this is on the understanding it's a long term hire, to grow me into the gig over time. President and GM are on board with this given my prior history with the company and willing to develop me, ultimate long term goal being that a service director job could be 5-10 years down the line depending on retirement plans. My strengths there were CSI and product knowledge. They want me to focus on developing that with the writers there, and help bring up the CSI and retention numbers with Toyota's impending change in CSI programs.

Tons of upside to this move. The only real risks are limited to myself and how I cope with management on this scale - instead of 3-4 techs, it's 14 writers and 42 techs.