Do you even budget bruh?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

:waxer: :waxer: need not apply. Or maybe they do? How do the rich stay rich: they are stingy bastards.

Looking for what fellow DFD peeps do to keep a budget. Not make a budget, making a budget is the easy part. Sticking to it is the part I suck at.

Weaknesses: Amazon non-essentials (essentials meaning household consumables like TP), food & beverage, car shit that is stupid.

It's a challenge enough for me that I am considering the following self imposed actions:
- reloading an Amazon gift card biweekly with a set amount as my only form of payment for Prime shit
- reloading a Prepaid Visa (they have ones that you can get airline miles with!) with a set amount for goings out of the food and beverage variety

CC debt is back under control after throwing bonus money at it, only other debt is the motorbike, but that's nothing by comparison. I save a fair amount for the long term (401k, HSA, IRA, Betterment) but have a habit of crossing a threshold with CCs where I start to :aintcare: and it balloons. My habits suck; no car payments and no mortgage make it almost too easy to spend.

What is my goal? I want to flip the script and get things like travel coming out of savings, not onto CCs, but I cannot do that with my current habits.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

stripethree wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 pm :waxer: :waxer: need not apply. Or maybe they do? How do the rich stay rich: they are stingy bastards.

Looking for what fellow DFD peeps do to keep a budget. Not make a budget, making a budget is the easy part. Sticking to it is the part I suck at.

Weaknesses: Amazon non-essentials (essentials meaning household consumables like TP), food & beverage, car shit that is stupid.

It's a challenge enough for me that I am considering the following self imposed actions:
- reloading an Amazon gift card biweekly with a set amount as my only form of payment for Prime shit
- reloading a Prepaid Visa (they have ones that you can get airline miles with!) with a set amount for goings out of the food and beverage variety

CC debt is back under control after throwing bonus money at it, only other debt is the motorbike, but that's nothing by comparison. I save a fair amount for the long term (401k, HSA, IRA, Betterment) but have a habit of crossing a threshold with CCs where I start to :aintcare: and it balloons. My habits suck; no car payments and no mortgage make it almost too easy to spend.

What is my goal? I want to flip the script and get things like travel coming out of savings, not onto CCs, but I cannot do that with my current habits.
Big thing for me was not allowing sites like Amazon to save your number for future purchases. I'm less likely to go through with the purchase if I have to fish out my wallet and grab my debit/credit card number..
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 pm :waxer: :waxer: need not apply. Or maybe they do? How do the rich stay rich: they are stingy bastards.

Define "under control"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm Big thing for me was not allowing sites like Amazon to save your number for future purchases. I'm less likely to go through with the purchase if I have to fish out my wallet and grab my debit/credit card number..
This is a problem when you have a CC number memorized. I should report that card lost or something.

Why is it memorized? Last job was mobile payments. I had to input that card into our app so many times for testing, etc. that it just stuck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm Define "under control"
$3k outstanding.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

stripethree wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm Big thing for me was not allowing sites like Amazon to save your number for future purchases. I'm less likely to go through with the purchase if I have to fish out my wallet and grab my debit/credit card number..
This is a problem when you have a CC number memorized. I should report that card lost or something.

Why is it memorized? Last job was mobile payments. I had to input that card into our app so many times for testing, etc. that it just stuck.
I was going to say.. I had that problem too, but when they replaced my card with one that had the chip in it instead of just swipe, I made it a point not to memorize it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm Define "under control"
$3k outstanding.
So not much. Easy to rub out, yes?

Ideas:
1. First step is get rid of CC debt and tell yourself you're never fucking going back. Not ever.
2. Use American Express (The charge card kind, not the credit card kind). It demands payment in full at the end of every month. You won't pull trigger on those sweet ramz bro if you know you really can't pay for them.
3. Go the other way and build a 3K account for fun shit, to pay with said American Express. You will be more stingy when you're using your money, not OPM (even though that's a myth because the CC companies are taking you for MAFIA interest rates, that is really your money.)
4. You're single.
:amaze:
All it takes is a little time and you'll be able to be totally on track
5. Instead of buying shit, just figure out how long it will take to swing the -3K to +3K on such and such a budget, then do it. Don't go out to restaurants and bars, etc., until mission accomplished. Then set another goal.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... en-CardArt

Basic AMEX is free for the first year, $95/year after that. Everyone on here will :disgust: :triggered: about this annual fee, but you spend that much in interest charges the first time you don't pay your balance off, yes?

It's a real credit card so you won't walk around like some guy with a FICO of 480 who has to have a prepaid card, and the cost of self control is $95/year. You will then graduate to hating the fee and managing a rewards credit card with the same discipline.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm Cut restaurants and bars out, stop buying shit on Amazon.

Do a 0% or 0.9% balance transfer to another card, and pay it off, and be done.

I have $1250 in lingering CC debt but it's 0% until October so :aintcare:
He's single dude. The free time is immense. He's looking for nicorette, not cold turkey.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

budget:

step 1. Make more money.
step 2. save 20%
step 3. yolo.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:39 pm

$3k outstanding.
So not much. Easy to rub out, yes?

:hue:

:megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

honestly,

You have to have a limit on food stuffs.clearly you not stopping eat out living in austin. you wont go hermit style and eat ramen. Youve tasted the good life.

I keep a floating target budget of expenses and plan $500/mo eating out and $250/mo groceries.

Once you have your monthly outflow: set a target of cash on hand. Every 3-6 months, take a big swig of debt out. Rinse, repeat.

Every 6 months, move that target of cash on hand.

If you dont track your expenses, attempting a budget is futile. #foreveryolo
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

cheap easy tricks? force yourself to meal prep/bring food for lunch. Make 1-2 days a week NO eat out day.

"pay yourself" is a common pro tip you here. Write yourself a check for $200 every pay period. Shove that in some other account. Find an interest bearing checking at some credit union. The common ones here are 3-4% up to $10k. So thats a real easy $25+/mo you get back. Everyone recommends moving the money away to another account. That would cost me too much, so I just set threshold targets.

Round up useless shit and sell it.

Travel cheap? idk, we struggle with that. Saved up near $8k for 2 weeks in UK/italy. Im not nickel and diming my way through europe. Did that as a poor college kid.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I check my accounts daily, keeps me in check.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Good advice here. Let me reiterate a couple things then summarize.
1) DO NOT carry CC debt. Pay it off. Every month. Don't see how? Figure out a way. Getting rid of that is like investing in an instrument that pays you 29% interest. Zero your card(s) before you log into Amazon again, before you put money into other savings.
2) Live within your means. If you can't put it on your card which will be paid off in full next month, don't buy it.

To summarize, adult the fuck up and learn some financial self control, then practice it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

just got my first "real" credit card. $15k in 30 seconds. That was scary.

opted for the chase sapphire to rack up point for the euro trip.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 pm Good advice here. Let me reiterate a couple things then summarize.
1) DO NOT carry CC debt. Pay it off. Every month. Don't see how? Figure out a way. Getting rid of that is like investing in an instrument that pays you 29% interest. Zero your card(s) before you log into Amazon again, before you put money into other savings.
2) Live within your means. If you can't put it on your card which will be paid off in full next month, don't buy it.

To summarize, adult the fuck up and learn some financial self control, then practice it.
:dat:

:bravo: :wap:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I had problems with credit cards for years, but as soon as I got a real job I killed them quickly and simply set up auto-pay to pay the balance in full every month. I will not cancel the auto-pay, so I must keep spending in check. It's not an option to do anything else.

I also watched my dad enjoy the hell out of retirement and decided that I want to do the same ASAP. Since my degree is in :math: I know what it takes to get there and can really easily keep track of both short and long term spending. If you need reminders, then throw all of your accounts into something like Personal Capital and check it every single day. That's what the wife is doing now... not helpful for single people, but having another person see ALL of your spending is helpful IMO. She is now asking me about every little purchase and that's great. "What's this $12 Amazon thing?" Uhh, sway bar bushings. "Why do you need them?" Uhh, because?

Fuck travel. Fuck restaurants. Fuck new cars. That's for rich people.

Get some cheap hobbies. Music is awesome, I spend under $100 a year on guitar shit. Reading and writing are great. Even painting is pretty cheap. Many sports are relatively cheap compared to bars/restaurants.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 pm Good advice here. Let me reiterate a couple things then summarize.

:dat:

:bravo: :wap:
:bow:
I mean really, by your 30's this should be an old habit.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Holy responses batman. I'll try and catch up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:39 pm Ideas:
1. First step is get rid of CC debt and tell yourself you're never fucking going back. Not ever.
2. Use American Express (The charge card kind, not the credit card kind). It demands payment in full at the end of every month. You won't pull trigger on those sweet ramz bro if you know you really can't pay for them.
3. Go the other way and build a 3K account for fun shit, to pay with said American Express. You will be more stingy when you're using your money, not OPM (even though that's a myth because the CC companies are taking you for MAFIA interest rates, that is really your money.)
4. You're single.
:amaze:
All it takes is a little time and you'll be able to be totally on track
5. Instead of buying shit, just figure out how long it will take to swing the -3K to +3K on such and such a budget, then do it. Don't go out to restaurants and bars, etc., until mission accomplished. Then set another goal.
1. Agreed. It'll be paid for next paycheck unless something comes up. At most, two paychecks.
2. This is sort of why I am looking at prepaid cards, but I'll check this out also.
3. Exactly what I want to get to. Good call.
4. Eh. I am finding that the dating life isn't that much cheaper. Trading one set of expenses for another. There's steady lady, and we like to go out. OTOH, we've started doing meal prep Sundays so we have lunch to take to work and dinner for at least 2-3 nights a week from the get go.
5. I am not a patient person. NOW DAMMIT. Your point is well taken though, it's a habit to work on.
[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm Cut restaurants and bars out, stop buying shit on Amazon. Simple.
I understand what you are getting at, but it is not that simple. I have been through this cycle a number of times and I talk myself into things because some of the habits I have are good, but I won't see the fruits of that labor for years. So I'm like, yeah, fuck it, have some fun now. If it were that simple, would I have asked for advice? Nope.
dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 pm step 1. Make more money.
step 2. save 20%
step 3. yolo.
I am not sure that you're being serious with this reply. My last job taught me that more money does not equal more happiness. So #1, nah, and plus, I do fine, I save for when I'm old, I just have bad YOLO habits now that I want to work on.
dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:10 pm "pay yourself" is a common pro tip you here. Write yourself a check for $200 every pay period. Shove that in some other account. Find an interest bearing checking at some credit union. The common ones here are 3-4% up to $10k. So thats a real easy $25+/mo you get back. Everyone recommends moving the money away to another account. That would cost me too much, so I just set threshold targets.
You are right about the pay yourself part. I have always interpreted this as longer term, and never set aside money for shorter term things. That should change.
Melon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:12 pm I check my accounts daily, keeps me in check.
Yeah... this is an obsessive behavior that is not constructive for me though. I changed it over today to have text alerts sent to me so that I stop thinking about it so much during the day.
dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm just got my first "real" credit card. $15k in 30 seconds. That was scary.
The amount of money creditors will give people is INSANE. I remember when the loan officer for my first house approved me for 5x my annual income. I laughed at him and said no. Same with CCs. Ugh. I'm no joke a little embarrassed about the amount of available credit I have across my 3 cards. Eh, 4 if you count West Elm, but I should close that now that the bachelor pad furniture is paid off.

To add some backstory I think part of the problem is such a headstrong mentality about planning for the far future. For example, I will max 401k, IRA, and HSA contributions this year and have 2 months of expenses in Betterment right now. Updated direct deposit to divert some funds for an Euro trip next summer, which is not something familiar to me (saving instead of paying off). I have tried to get in with financial planners/advisors before, but actually got turned down as a client. One place told me because I withdrew from 401k 3 years prior to pay off debts I was too risky. Yeah, it was not a great decision, but it's done, and I learned some shit. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Part of me wants to give myself a break because I had a lot of Q4 expenses: two rents, moving, furnishing a new place where I went the "treat yoself route" but nah, shit needs to shape up now that it is back to a manageable level.

TL;DR - good shit here. Step 1: pay shit off. Step 2: find a balance between saving for retirement, saving for short term shit like vacays, and spending money on fun things now. Big part of that is realizing hey, don't have to do all the fun expensive things now.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

stripethree wrote:Big part of that is realizing hey, don't have to do all the fun expensive things now.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Also, stay the FUCK off social media. Seeing everyone you know bragging about spending money every day is the path to the dark side.

Even this forum generally encourages people to blow epic amounts of money on everything, because each of us has one or two different things that we find worth spending on... so if you listen to everyone, you spend on everything.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Either :crang: or :CRANG:

I chose the latter
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:56 pm
stripethree wrote:Big part of that is realizing hey, don't have to do all the fun expensive things now.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Also, stay the FUCK off social media. Seeing everyone you know bragging about spending money every day is the path to the dark side.

Even this forum generally encourages people to blow epic amounts of money on everything, because each of us has one or two different things that we find worth spending on... so if you listen to everyone, you spend on everything.
Wut
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm just got my first "real" credit card. $15k in 30 seconds. That was scary.

opted for the chase sapphire to rack up point for the euro trip.
Sapphire preferred ?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm
Fuck travel. Fuck restaurants. Fuck new cars. That's for rich people.
New cars, I'm with you there.

But, travel adds a flavor to life that's necessary, and the occasional restaurant is no harm.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Step 1 is figuring out where your money is going each month. Set up a cash flow sheet to identify your monthly cash in vs cash out. Incoming should be just what your paychecks are, so 401k contributions are excluded. Include CC payments, rent, utilities, internet and phone, car payments, fuel, insurance, average car repairs, groceries, cat food, etc in the out. I use this to then set up my budget, and throw in things like snacks, lunches, coffee, dinner out, beer, therapist, dog treats, doggie day care ($$$$$), etc anything you regularly spend money on. I even added a line for savings deposits. Add up the incoming, add up the outgoing, and subtract. If it's negative you need to play with the sheet until it balances, and there's your budget.

Step 2, set up an auto transfer from your checking to a savings to occur right when you get your paychecks. I get 2x a month, so I have it set twice a month to auto transfer a set amount. That way when I check my acct balance I don't even see the extra. Over time it adds up to a shitload of money you can use for fun spending or investments or whatever.

Step 3, use your CC as more of a debit card, and expect you're paying it off fully at the end of the month. Want that new thingamadoodle? Do you actually have an extra $1500 to pay for it right now? If the answer is no, save up until your savings can cover it, transfer the money to your checking, and then go get it. CC debt is crippling because the interest is so ridiculously high, so the solution is to not get into it to begin with.

An alternative could be setting up multiple accounts. I had multiple savings accounts and an arrangement of auto transfers to save for my GTI down payment. But you could do this with car parts, motorcycle bs, dog rescues, etc. I use Capital One 360 and you can open extra accounts in minutes. Advantage to these guys is it takes 3 days or so to clear an outgoing transfer so I can't immediately :troywax: on something. You can also get a money market account which only allows up to 6 outgoing transfers a month, and has a higher rate of return. That would limit the :troywax: too.

I blow serious cash on food stuff every month but I set up my budget this way. You gotta have some things that make you happy otherwise you'll just be a grouchy hermit with 3 old cars and a motorbike.