OT 13: Unholy Guacamole

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Reach 1000 degrees cooking temp for beef searing,, smoke all day with very little fuel, hold temperature rock steady, way better smoker. The ceramic creates a much more static environment for low and slow but also will produce restaurant quality heat.
So main advantage is use as a smoker? Never tried that before. I have the patience of a 2 year old when it comes to cooking doe.
Haven't bbqd since I quit drinking last fall. Used to be a good excuse to drink before noon. By the time the meat was done of be passed out .

Alas BBQ season is upon us
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Reach 1000 degrees cooking temp for beef searing,, smoke all day with very little fuel, hold temperature rock steady, way better smoker. The ceramic creates a much more static environment for low and slow but also will produce restaurant quality heat.
Friend of mine and I were smoking some pork one weekend and decided we needed fireworks. Left his egg for 2 hours and the temp stayed the same.
Is that the same as playing the skin flute? Or the meat whistle?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:10 pm

So main advantage is use as a smoker? Never tried that before. I have the patience of a 2 year old when it comes to cooking doe.
Haven't bbqd since I quit drinking last fall. Used to be a good excuse to drink before noon. By the time the meat was done of be passed out .

being that out of practice you will pass out before the meat hits the smoker.

ALAS, you should probably maintain the healthier lifestyle choice of not drinking to imbolibization.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

No. The main advantage is that it can do everything.

I've gotten mine up to 850 degrees to sear stakes. No propane grill can get that hot, and the end result is :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Damn. My smoker didn't make the move from KY.

Really didn't want to drop 1k on a egg. 400 is more like it.

Or go full :scrooge: and get some terracotta planters a la Alton Brown...
The $400 is "on special"......the current bloo pit boss is $749
https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic ... 78747.html

The advantage of KJ and BGE is the accessories.....go look at the sites to see if you GAF about any of those.
They tack onto the price for "free shipping". Go to the warehouse, and it's $599. They almost always run a $100 off sale at some point in the year, that's when I got mine...but mine was $200 off and I suspect it's because it's the old model that's black in color. I saw the blue one on Friday at the warehouse and other than color, it's identical to mine.

What accessories am I missing out on? I really have found zero desire to pimp out my grill and I use it CONSTANTLY.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm

I'll be very disappointed if it isn't.
This is the most white people suburb complaint I've ever encountered.
:lolol:

The van is not in front of our house. I think the dude knows better now after :tits: got the Previa towed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Friend of mine and I were smoking some pork one weekend and decided we needed fireworks. Left his egg for 2 hours and the temp stayed the same.
Almost as good as a pellet grill in that regard
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm

The $400 is "on special"......the current bloo pit boss is $749
https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic ... 78747.html

The advantage of KJ and BGE is the accessories.....go look at the sites to see if you GAF about any of those.
They tack onto the price for "free shipping". Go to the warehouse, and it's $599. They almost always run a $100 off sale at some point in the year, that's when I got mine...but mine was $200 off and I suspect it's because it's the old model that's black in color. I saw the blue one on Friday at the warehouse and other than color, it's identical to mine.

What accessories am I missing out on? I really have found zero desire to pimp out my grill and I use it CONSTANTLY.
I don't know TBH. I'm just giving the answer Waxer gave me. Dude also has 15 Glocks when one will do so you know how it goes.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Is that the same as playing the skin flute? Or the meat whistle?
Internal temp, 98.6 dungarees.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's amazing how stable the temps are. We've been on a smoked salmon kick lately, which smokes best at LOW temps. I can get the thing to 180 and it stays parked there for hours without me intervening. I had a steel cabinet smoker that could never do that.

And searing steaks at 800+...puts steakhouses to shame.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm still paralyzed by the whole grill discussion. Deciding which to buy first, Kamado style or Trager Pellet style.
Johnny_P

I'll just keep using my poverty propane grill that heats up in 10 minutes or less.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm It's amazing how stable the temps are. We've been on a smoked salmon kick lately, which smokes best at LOW temps. I can get the thing to 180 and it stays parked there for hours without me intervening. I had a steel cabinet smoker that could never do that.

And searing steaks at 800+...puts steakhouses to shame.
This is the extra benny of ceramic other than smoking.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know TBH. I'm just giving the answer Waxer gave me. Dude also has 15 Glocks when one will do so you know how it goes.
:lolol:

Indeed. It's the only answer anyone can give, really. And I'm sure there's neat things I am actually missing out on, but the results have been so 5/7 that I'm ultimately :aintcare:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:18 pm

ALAS, you should probably maintain the healthier lifestyle choice of not drinking to imbolibization.

Agreed.

I miss beer the most while eating Mexican food. Something about it makes me want a Pacifico or something similar.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm I'll just keep using my poverty propane grill that heats up in 10 minutes or less.
If you get bored by anything that takes a long time to cook yes, the Calcutta Propane Method is fine.
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Agreed.

I miss beer the most while eating Mexican food. Something about it makes me want a Pacifico or something similar.
I'm a sucker for a Tecate with my burritos.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm I'll just keep using my poverty propane grill that heats up in 10 minutes or less.
If you get bored by anything that takes a long time to cook yes, the Calcutta Propane Method is fine.
Yeah. BGE or whatever these things are would be a lot of fun if I had a party with a bunch of people over and we were all drinking and grilling. I don't do that really ever and don't have time to dedicate to it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 pm

I've gotten mine up to 850 degrees to sear stakes. No propane grill can get that hot, and the end result is :mindblown:
Duuuuuude.

My infrared burner on my Napoleon can hit 1800
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm I'm still paralyzed by the whole grill discussion. Deciding which to buy first, Kamado style or Trager Pellet style.
I've used the Trager pellet style and found it to be ok...at best. Sure, the convenience is crazy. Set it and forget it, no dicking with anything, food comes out a solid 3-4/7.

But to me, the ceramic grille is :mindblown: it's nearly the same level of set it and forget it. I can get it lit and up to temp in under 30 minutes, and once you get the airflow right for the desired temp, you can just forget about it. I've got a wireless meat thermometer so I can monitor meat temps without disturbing things, and the results have been incredible. Everyone that tries the stuff I pull off the grille are blown away. Smoked fish, seared steaks, pizzas, and everything in between.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Agreed.

I got a craving for a Mexican beer this weekend. Don't remember the last drink I had. Maybe a glass of wine at Thanksgiving?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm

I'll be very disappointed if it isn't.
This is the most white people suburb complaint I've ever encountered.
:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Duuuuuude.

My infrared burner on my Napoleon can hit 1800
The BURNER, sure. But the inside temp of the grill? I've never met one that can get much above 500.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm I'm still paralyzed by the whole grill discussion. Deciding which to buy first, Kamado style or Trager Pellet style.
I've used the Trager pellet style and found it to be ok...at best. Sure, the convenience is crazy. Set it and forget it, no dicking with anything, food comes out a solid 3-4/7.

But to me, the ceramic grille is :mindblown: it's nearly the same level of set it and forget it. I can get it lit and up to temp in under 30 minutes, and once you get the airflow right for the desired temp, you can just forget about it. I've got a wireless meat thermometer so I can monitor meat temps without disturbing things, and the results have been incredible. Everyone that tries the stuff I pull off the grille are blown away. Smoked fish, seared steaks, pizzas, and everything in between.
Good input, thanks.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat: :dat: :dat:

Please.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.