OT 13: Unholy Guacamole

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:15 pm Looking at 50mm prime lenses. There's an old version from Nikon that has great optics, but no autofocus. I've heard the newer one with AF isn't quite as sharp.. Wonder how much not having AF would bother me, or if I'd actually use a lens like that...
There are a bunch of versions of the 50 f/1.8 out there.

The 1.8D is sharp and costs about $130.

The 1.8G is an AF-S lens and focuses faster, but IMO is not quite as sharp. I own this one now and had the 1.8D in the past and liked it more.

An older manual focus might be sharper, if you are able to get a good reading of your focus through your viewfinder.... otherwise you're going to have OOF shots when you get back to your computer.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:15 pm Looking at 50mm prime lenses. There's an old version from Nikon that has great optics, but no autofocus. I've heard the newer one with AF isn't quite as sharp.. Wonder how much not having AF would bother me, or if I'd actually use a lens like that...

The 1.8G is an AF-S lens and focuses faster, but IMO is not quite as sharp. I own this one now and had the 1.8D in the past and liked it more.

An older manual focus might be sharper, if you are able to get a good reading of your focus through your viewfinder.... otherwise you're going to have OOF shots when you get back to your computer.
Strike that, I actually remember now... I sold the more expensive AF-S G version and bought the AF 1.8D again. Haven't used it in awhile though, been running the 24-70 2.8 mostly and playing with the 20mm 2.8 here and there on the shorter end.

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-50m ... B00005LEN4

These are very sharp and wide open they have awesome bokeh. Which camera are you using?? Does it have a focus motor, or is it something like a D40-D80 that needs a G lens to auto focus?

Also, if you get a 1.8D buy a rear cap for an F mount lens, the one that comes with it is just a white non-locking/screw down cap that pops on.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Strike that, I actually remember now... I sold the more expensive AF-S G version and bought the AF 1.8D again. Haven't used it in awhile though, been running the 24-70 2.8 mostly and playing with the 20mm 2.8 here and there on the shorter end.

This is the one I have:

These are very sharp and wide open they have awesome bokeh. Which camera are you using?? Does it have a focus motor, or is it something like a D40-D80 that needs a G lens to auto focus?

Also, if you get a 1.8D buy a rear cap for an F mount lens, the one that comes with it is just a white non-locking/screw down cap that pops on.
Yeah I was looking at a used one that's $130.

I'm shooting a D7100, so I know that being a full-format lens it'll actually shoot like a 75mm on my camera.. Meh, I'll probably just stick with my actual DX 35mm lens for now and wait until I actually get an FX camera before getting more prime FX lenses like this.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 pm

This is the one I have:

I'm shooting a D7100, so I know that being a full-format lens it'll actually shoot like a 75mm on my camera.. Meh, I'll probably just stick with my actual DX 35mm lens for now and wait until I actually get an FX camera before getting more prime FX lenses like this.
The D7100 has an internal focus motor, so I would buy the 1.8D and not think twice. A DX lens is a waste if you think you will ever get an FX body.

Oh, when are you going to Hawaii?
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 pm

The D7100 has an internal focus motor, so I would buy the 1.8D and not think twice. A DX lens is a waste if you think you will ever get an FX body.

Thanks man. Yeah I won’t buy any DX lenses other than the two I already have. I’ll probably still wait to get any new lenses until I actually get an FX body. I’ve got two nice full frame lenses already as well.

Hawaii is May 25- June 3. I’ve never been, so I’m stoked.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks man. Yeah I won’t buy any DX lenses other than the two I already have. I’ll probably still wait to get any new lenses until I actually get an FX body. I’ve got two nice full frame lenses already as well.

Awesome man, what island(s) are you going to?

I will be on Kauai from June 10th to the 18th. Going to spend one day over at Oahu and the Pearl Harbor site.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I will be on Kauai from June 10th to the 18th. Going to spend one day over at Oahu and the Pearl Harbor site.
We’ll be in Kauai the whole time. Too bad our trips don’t overlap!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
Sno wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 pm They are absolutely not as sharp. Every last one of my photographer buddies is complaining about dis.
The new AF ones are not as sharp?

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on this manual focus one then...
I have a Nikon d3100 that my wife bought me like 4-5 years ago. It takes better pics than a phone or whatever, but I have always noticed that when I zoom in on pics that look pretty focused, it’s not as sharp as I would think. Still good, but not great. Always wondered if it was the camera or the lens.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm The D7100 has an internal focus motor, so I would buy the 1.8D and not think twice. A DX lens is a waste if you think you will ever get an FX body.

Hawaii is :amaze:

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm
SAWCE wrote:

take it from my boss who worked fbi I’m hawaii. Amaze to visit, bad to live especially as an outsider
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Calvinball

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm Thanks man. Yeah I won’t buy any DX lenses other than the two I already have. I’ll probably still wait to get any new lenses until I actually get an FX body. I’ve got two nice full frame lenses already as well.

Have you been to Pearl Harbor?

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Have you been to Pearl Harbor?

Nope, first time. Also likely going to the more private memorial that is on the navy base. My brother in law is retired navy and has his ID and can get us on base.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm
SAWCE wrote:
The new AF ones are not as sharp?

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on this manual focus one then...
I have a Nikon d3100 that my wife bought me like 4-5 years ago. It takes better pics than a phone or whatever, but I have always noticed that when I zoom in on pics that look pretty focused, it’s not as sharp as I would think. Still good, but not great. Always wondered if it was the camera or the lens.

Could be the body. The higher end bodies have adjustments you can perform and it will tune the focusing. Could also be the lens, especially if it is a kit lens that came with the body.

Go to a camera store and test a $$$ lens on it and compare the images.
Calvinball

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 pm Have you been to Pearl Harbor?

Nope, first time. Also likely going to the more private memorial that is on the navy base. My brother in law is retired navy and has his ID and can get us on base.
It is awesome. Such a great memorial.

Calvinball

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm I have a Nikon d3100 that my wife bought me like 4-5 years ago. It takes better pics than a phone or whatever, but I have always noticed that when I zoom in on pics that look pretty focused, it’s not as sharp as I would think. Still good, but not great. Always wondered if it was the camera or the lens.

Could be the body. The higher end bodies have adjustments you can perform and it will tune the focusing. Could also be the lens, especially if it is a kit lens that came with the body.

Go to a camera store and test a $$$ lens on it and compare the images.
I always assumed body, since it’s kinda entry level.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I really enjoyed not having AF on my old 35mm camera. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Calvinball wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm

take it from my boss who worked fbi I’m hawaii. Amaze to visit, bad to live especially as an outsider
You're Hawaii? :impressive:
razr390

Note to self energy drinks make me feel like shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 pm Note to self energy drinks make me feel like shit.
It's like 2 days of sugar in one drink
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 pm Note to self energy drinks make me feel like shit.
My buddy used to drink so many in college staying up playing video games that he got heart palpitations and his doctor told him he had to stop. Now he only drinks sugar-free ones :rolleyes:
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 pm
My buddy used to drink so many in college staying up playing video games that he got heart palpitations and his doctor told him he had to stop. Now he only drinks sugar-free ones :rolleyes:
They make me paranoid and feel dehydrated.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Yeah, because that's good for you. :notsure:
:dat:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That shit is terrible for you.

I got the palpitations and was super shaky. Never had issues sleeping, but I was so hooked on caffeine that I could slam a large rockstar and go to bed.

I used to only drink the sugar free ones, and would have 2 of the big Rockstars with the resealable caps a day + 4-5 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe a soda or 2 on a daily basis.

Two years ago I quit caffeine cold turkey and today I am WAY better for it. No shaky 90 year old hands anymore, I'm a lot more calm, and I haven't had any of the heart beat rythm issues since.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 pm

I got the palpitations and was super shaky. Never had issues sleeping, but I was so hooked on caffeine that I could slam a large rockstar and go to bed.

I used to only drink the sugar free ones, and would have 2 of the big Rockstars with the resealable caps a day + 4-5 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe a soda or 2 on a daily basis.

Two years ago I quit caffeine cold turkey and today I am WAY better for it. No shaky 90 year old hands anymore, I'm a lot more calm, and I haven't had any of the heart beat rythm issues since.
Yeah I’m trying to get him off of them completely. So bad for you. I used to do a good amount of caffeine in pre-workouts, but I rarely ever take even a half-scoop now.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Yeah I’m trying to get him off of them completely. So bad for you. I used to do a good amount of caffeine in pre-workouts, but I rarely ever take even a half-scoop now.
Youre missing out on serious gainz if you arent taking 5 scoops before a workout.