OT 13: Unholy Guacamole

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am
wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

We just had eye exams this past weekend and dropped $1k on 3 pairs of glasses. :disgust:

Our optometrist is cool :doe: . He's an older hippie type. Long, graying ponytail but a cool dude. Gave us 5/7 tips for our upcoming road trip.
Glasses are :fullretard: expensive. We always go to cheaper places and end up paying somewhere in the $200/pair range. But now that I'm on contacts, assuming the cooperate for a full day (my old ones wouldn't), I'll probably only keep glasses around for night time. Contacts are roughly $200/year.
Wife's were around $200. Mine are expensive because I need bifocals now :( and I get the progressive lenses which are :waxer: but worth it, IMO
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:05 pm Warby Parker glasses are $100/pair out the door, with or without insurance. :scrooge:
Bifocals too? Progressive lenses? Anti-glare coating and UV coating?
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Yea we got vision insurance for the first time this year, too, and this is our strategy as well. It costs me $7.35/paycheck so $191.10/year. $10 copay for eye exams plus you get a frame allowance and a discount on top of it. So with both of our exams this weekend, plus 2 pair of glasses for me (regular and prescription shades), and 1 pair for her, it saved us almost $300 total, so a little over $100 net savings, so it was worth it to have the insurance this year. I'll cancel it for next year and sign up again the next time we need glasses in a few years, then cancel the following year. Rinse and repeat.
Sounds similar to our plan, and likely the outcome for us. Though, we'll need to keep it since contacts only come in annual qty's.
:word:
Keeping it sounds like it will make sense for contacts.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am
You've never had glasses before? :impressive:

Do you pay for vision insurance?

Just go to an optometrist and get an exam. They'll give you a prescription and generally try to sell you glasses (where they make most of their money).

Go to a place like See or Warby Parker for discount glasses that look decent.
IIRC vision is included and we get $100 off frames or some shit
:notbad: , but the real money is in the lenses.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Yea we got vision insurance for the first time this year, too, and this is our strategy as well. It costs me $7.35/paycheck so $191.10/year. $10 copay for eye exams plus you get a frame allowance and a discount on top of it. So with both of our exams this weekend, plus 2 pair of glasses for me (regular and prescription shades), and 1 pair for her, it saved us almost $300 total, so a little over $100 net savings, so it was worth it to have the insurance this year. I'll cancel it for next year and sign up again the next time we need glasses in a few years, then cancel the following year. Rinse and repeat.
Sounds similar to our plan, and likely the outcome for us. Though, we'll need to keep it since contacts only come in annual qty's.
Do you have anything funky with your prescription/specific lenses? Check out the online sites like 1800contacts to possibly save some coin.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:05 pm Warby Parker glasses are $100/pair out the door, with or without insurance. :scrooge:
The uv/glare/scratch coatings are standard, no idea on bifocals and I don't know what progressive means in a lens. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm

IIRC vision is included and we get $100 off frames or some shit
:notbad: , but the real money is in the lenses.
OFTEN basic lenses are included with insurance, and then there's a discount on the frames.

In my case, I can chose either glasses or contacts included (though I did have to pay a bit more for my astigmatism contacts). There's a 40% discount on frames.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:27 pm
Do you have anything funky with your prescription/specific lenses? Check out the online sites like 1800contacts to possibly save some coin.
Never considered ordering online. I should.

I doubt there's anything weird about them. He had a trial pair in my prescription in stock. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

razr390 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am Left my wallet at home today :rage:

Realized it after I ordered a breakfast sandwich. :rage:

Manager said to pay them back tomorrow and don’t worry about it :fuckyeah:
Well, which is it, young feller?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Never considered ordering online. I should.

I doubt there's anything weird about them. He had a trial pair in my prescription in stock. :iono:
Zenni optical
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:28 pm
wap wrote:
The uv/glare/scratch coatings are standard, no idea on bifocals and I don't know what progressive means in a lens. :iono:
Progressive lenses are bifocals where you don't see the lines between the changes in lens shape.

Including those coatings in the $100 is :notbad:

Bifocals are spendy because they grind basically 3 prescriptions into 1 lens, and getting them in a progressive configuration is :troywax:
Apex

Girl Scout cookies are all over the office. :fatty:
wap

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm Girl Scout cookies are all over the office. :fatty:
:fuckyeah: :drool:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:34 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm Girl Scout cookies are all over the office. :fatty:
Geico keeps stopping by with delicious cookies, no sign of them yet this week.

Whew.
Good thing you got that spin bike. Just in case those cookies do show up.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Detroit wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:32 am My vision insuranvce here sucks, none of the optometirsts near me have even heard of it, and the insurance website doesn't have a search function for places that will accept it :derp: That's one of the big benefits that I want to get back to NG for. Get back on VSP instead of this shit I have here.
Don't pay for it then. Many health insurance plans will cover an annual eye exam (look it up). This is the first year my company has offered vision insurance. Before, we had to pay out of pocket. TBH, when you add up the cost of insurance though the year, it's not much cheaper than just paying out of pocket. I signed up for it this year, but I"m going to see where it nets out at the end of the year. Might not be worth it.
I’d caution that if the coverage is carved out with a separate vision insurance vendor, then the medical plan may only cover retinal eye exams for an underlying medical condition like cataracts/diabeetus/etc.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am Found a good optometrist in my building and finally got contacts today. Been years since I had contacts because my last optometrist was a :wap: :derp: with fitting them.

Feels so good to see well without glasses. :fuckyeah:
I think I need glasses. Not sure how to go about this. Guess I just find an optometrist that accepts my insurance, get a prescription, and then go wherever I get a discount to get frames/lenses made? This is a whole new world to me.

I can't read stuff on projector screens unless I'm sitting at the front of the room. Smaller sign lettering is blurryish until I'm closer to it. Driving is fine, really, and I pass the tests according to the state. Just finding myself annoyed at my vision lately.
Typically here’s how vision insurance works once you get that script. The plan will have allowances for frames and lenses. Those are set dollar amounts that the plan will cover up to. So, $200 allowance for frames means if you pick out frames that cost $220, you’ll pay $20.

ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Don't pay for it then. Many health insurance plans will cover an annual eye exam (look it up). This is the first year my company has offered vision insurance. Before, we had to pay out of pocket. TBH, when you add up the cost of insurance though the year, it's not much cheaper than just paying out of pocket. I signed up for it this year, but I"m going to see where it nets out at the end of the year. Might not be worth it.
I’d caution that if the coverage is carved out with a separate vision insurance vendor, then the medical plan may only cover retinal eye exams for an underlying medical condition like cataracts/diabeetus/etc.

Oh, very good point. Before we had vision insurance, our health plan covered a full eye exam, but that was it.
Calvinball

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:28 pm The uv/glare/scratch coatings are standard, no idea on bifocals and I don't know what progressive means in a lens. :iono:
Progressive lenses are bifocals where you don't see the lines between the changes in lens shape.

Bifocals are spendy because they grind basically 3 prescriptions into 1 lens, and getting them in a progressive configuration is :troywax:
Not looking forward to needing those.

wap

Calvinball wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 pm
wap wrote:

Not looking forward to needing those.

I'd needed them since my mid- late 40's but resisted until I hit my 50's. I cheated by getting smaller and smaller glasses that I could look under to read close up but eventually I had to give in to the inevitable.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

We've been potty training our son and he is doing well. This weekend we went on a few walks and he had to pee and we told him to go in the grass.

I come home from work today and learn he has taken a dump in the back yard. His mother told him to tell his Papa what he did and he is proud AF and takes me outside to see it. Twas a massive duece pickle

I'm worried because once you feel the wind on your asshole, normal shitting just ain't the same.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19 pm We've been potty training our son and he is doing well. This weekend we went on a few walks and he had to pee and we told him to go in the grass.

I come home from work today and learn he has taken a dump in the back yard. His mother told him to tell his Papa what he did and he is proud AF and takes me outside to see it. Twas a massive duece pickle

I'm worried because once you feel the wind on your asshole, normal shitting just ain't the same.
This legitimately made me laugh out loud. Well done.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Today has been high speed low drag. I am burned out.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

But investigations are fun.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I should go eat chicken tendies
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

razr390 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 pm I should borrow :crang: 's ball gag.
:notbad: