Those of you that like your jobs, what do you do?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am I'm on the hunt for a new job and have been thinking about a total career change as a possibility as well. I currently work as an IT engineer (network/server admin) and I am bored out of my mind. Outside of working on projects when I truly have work to do and am engaged I probably work less than 5 hours a week. I work for a decently sized accounting firm with over 40 offices and on a day to day basis there just isn't work to do. I know a lot of issues I have with IT are from my current position, number 1 being that I am completely isolated and can go months without seeing a fellow IT worker in person ( everything is conf calls and IMs through skype). I worked for a college previously and was bored there too but at least IT was centralized and the comradery aspect was there.

As crazy as it sounds I'm looking for something that is going to give me more work to do and actually engage me. I just got a job offer for a signal maintainer for a local railroad and it sounded amazing but it was too much of a pay cut in year 1 and no PTO for 2 years so I had to turn it down. I like working with my hands so something along those lines would be cool as well as something that could involve outside work but not a requirement. I'm basically looking for ideas on something that involves spending time away from a desk as that's my main requirement.

Right now I look on indeed for any jobs at like 55k and apply to things that sound interesting but I know there are plenty of places that don't advertise on there so looking for ideas I haven't thought of yet. Not looking to relocate but I have a pretty wide area of PA to search from Wilkes-Barre to Lansdale/Norristownish. I have a BS in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Business Admin and 7 years full time progressive IT experience.

So DFD what careers haven't I thought of or what companies should I look into
I'm with you on not enjoying being in an office all of the time.

I'm a "Sales Support Engineer" for an audio mixing console manufacturer. Basically, I travel around and give sales demos and support to potential and current clients. I drive a big demonstration vehicle around the US and show people six figure audio gear, explain how it works, convince them that it will make their jobs better. I fly home on weekends. I'm also responsible for trouble shooting, fixing, maintaining and keeping pretty all of the gear in our truck.

I can live wherever I want, have virtually unlimited free hotels/flights for personal travel, all of my food is covered, no commuting costs, which makes the salary pretty OK (it's in the high 50s). Overall I love my job. I like being somewhere different every day, meeting new people, getting to play with the latest and greatest gear. We're a really high end company so I end up seeing cool stuff and meeting cool people (NFL stadiums, rock stars, that kind of stuff).

Over all it's a fun line of work. I like audio/music and went to school for that but I think I'd be happy doing pre sales engineer type work with just about any product that is quality, could me guitars, cars, network switches, whatever.
Yeah I've seen you post about your work and it sounds cool. I've applied for a lot of field tech stuff with companies but ideally it wouldn't involve sales and would be local to the region.

Not to get too ahead of myself but I feel like I'll get an offer relatively soon after my interview Tuesday and then have a tough call of taking a job that is going to be similar to my current just because I want to leave my current job. I'd hate to take it and then get contacted about one of the more interesting jobs I applied for that involves field work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm with you on not enjoying being in an office all of the time.

I'm a "Sales Support Engineer" for an audio mixing console manufacturer. Basically, I travel around and give sales demos and support to potential and current clients. I drive a big demonstration vehicle around the US and show people six figure audio gear, explain how it works, convince them that it will make their jobs better. I fly home on weekends. I'm also responsible for trouble shooting, fixing, maintaining and keeping pretty all of the gear in our truck.

I can live wherever I want, have virtually unlimited free hotels/flights for personal travel, all of my food is covered, no commuting costs, which makes the salary pretty OK (it's in the high 50s). Overall I love my job. I like being somewhere different every day, meeting new people, getting to play with the latest and greatest gear. We're a really high end company so I end up seeing cool stuff and meeting cool people (NFL stadiums, rock stars, that kind of stuff).

Over all it's a fun line of work. I like audio/music and went to school for that but I think I'd be happy doing pre sales engineer type work with just about any product that is quality, could me guitars, cars, network switches, whatever.
Yeah I've seen you post about your work and it sounds cool. I've applied for a lot of field tech stuff with companies but ideally it wouldn't involve sales and would be local to the region.

Not to get too ahead of myself but I feel like I'll get an offer relatively soon after my interview Tuesday and then have a tough call of taking a job that is going to be similar to my current just because I want to leave my current job. I'd hate to take it and then get contacted about one of the more interesting jobs I applied for that involves field work.
Based on what you've said man... I think it would be worth holding out for a field tech type thing. You'd probably enjoy that a lot more, and if you can get similar pay, fringe bennies like mileage and free meals could make it even better.

Look for companies with locations around your region but maybe not national? Or something big enough that there are regionally based people. Getting on a plane every week can certainly suck at times.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Perhaps your local power utility could be a place to look that might keep you out of the office more? There must be IT components to that.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 am
Dbest wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:17 pm I love my job, I do quality testing and development of preproduction and prototype vehicles and technology. The downside is the amount of travel and time being away from home.
Sounds great to me. :lol:

Like everything it has it’s ups and downs.

I just finished up my semi-annual resume update. At least twice a year I go through and update it, and at least quarterly I go through job postings and look at what’s out there.

Earlier this week I got a call from a guy I’ve lnown for like 15 years now who’s done really really well for himself. He was asking me if I wanted to go through the application process and then come work for him. Throughout the years he’s offered me some stuff here and there but it’s always been for outside contractor positions. This time it’s a corporate position for the manufacturer. Decent money (but pretty large pay cut), cushy job, great benefits, I’d get an insured car for free, after X amount of years you get free cars for life! It's something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, something I’d be good at, and the opportunity for a corporate position is soooo rare. There’s literally only a couple of these position that aren’t contract in the country. I’d have a regular schedule, I’d go home to my wife and kid every after work every day, I’d still travel but not nearly as extensively.

The down side.... I’d have to relocate to Cali. That part hurts. Not only would I have to leave Colorado and all of the awesome stuff it has to offer, but I’d have to leave my awesome house. My wife and moved out here by ourselves a handful of years back. Since then my wife’s family has followed. They all live near by, my son has 2 cousins a few miles away and Grandma and Grandpa watch all the grandkids 2 days a week plus they are help and baby sitters when needed. Then there’s my wife’s job... she has it good, great job, great money, she’s been with this same company since moving to CO when she took the job offered to her by the former president of the company she worked for in Chicago. Since starting there she’s worked anywhere from 1-2 years in various positions, they were all considered lateral moves but came with pay increases and bonuses, she’s on the last of the positions to tinplate their long term plan for her. In 1.5-2 years from she will get her own business unit. At this point she’s done all of the relevant positions to have a very good well rounded knowledge of everything. They have an acquisition in the pipeline and someone else coming up on retirement, either way within 2 years she’ll be onenofnthe big wigs at her company. It’s kinda hard to suggest she even considers leaving that even though my opportunity is something I’ve talked about for a long long time and it kills me to turn it down and not even pursue it.

I guess it’s a good problem to have but man, I’m stressing over it. It really feels like a lose/lose situation.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dbest wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 pm

I just finished up my semi-annual resume update. At least twice a year I go through and update it, and at least quarterly I go through job postings and look at what’s out there.

Earlier this week I got a call from a guy I’ve lnown for like 15 years now who’s done really really well for himself. He was asking me if I wanted to go through the application process and then come work for him. Throughout the years he’s offered me some stuff here and there but it’s always been for outside contractor positions. This time it’s a corporate position for the manufacturer. Decent money (but pretty large pay cut), cushy job, great benefits, I’d get an insured car for free, after X amount of years you get free cars for life! It's something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, something I’d be good at, and the opportunity for a corporate position is soooo rare. There’s literally only a couple of these position that aren’t contract in the country. I’d have a regular schedule, I’d go home to my wife and kid every after work every day, I’d still travel but not nearly as extensively.

The down side.... I’d have to relocate to Cali. That part hurts. Not only would I have to leave Colorado and all of the awesome stuff it has to offer, but I’d have to leave my awesome house. My wife and moved out here by ourselves a handful of years back. Since then my wife’s family has followed. They all live near by, my son has 2 cousins a few miles away and Grandma and Grandpa watch all the grandkids 2 days a week plus they are help and baby sitters when needed. Then there’s my wife’s job... she has it good, great job, great money, she’s been with this same company since moving to CO when she took the job offered to her by the former president of the company she worked for in Chicago. Since starting there she’s worked anywhere from 1-2 years in various positions, they were all considered lateral moves but came with pay increases and bonuses, she’s on the last of the positions to tinplate their long term plan for her. In 1.5-2 years from she will get her own business unit. At this point she’s done all of the relevant positions to have a very good well rounded knowledge of everything. They have an acquisition in the pipeline and someone else coming up on retirement, either way within 2 years she’ll be onenofnthe big wigs at her company. It’s kinda hard to suggest she even considers leaving that even though my opportunity is something I’ve talked about for a long long time and it kills me to turn it down and not even pursue it.

I guess it’s a good problem to have but man, I’m stressing over it. It really feels like a lose/lose situation.
:hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Less money, significant increase in cost of living. Let me repeat

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Less money, significant increase in cost of living. Let me repeat

Less money and moving to California does not compute. This gives me a divide by zero error and segmentation fault / core dump.

Something is wrong.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

30% increase in cost of living vs where I’m at, but I will NEVER get the opportunity living where I live.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dbest wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm 30% increase in cost of living vs where I’m at, but I will NEVER get the opportunity living where I live.
Understood. I'm in the auto industry...leaves me two places to live: MI or CA. We ended up loving MI, so whatever. It's also WAY cheaper than CA. Probably on par with Colorado.

The thing is, if it's something you really want to do in your career, there's not much choice. Personally, I'd give up the career advancement to live where you live. That's dream status.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm
Dbest wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm 30% increase in cost of living vs where I’m at, but I will NEVER get the opportunity living where I live.
Understood. I'm in the auto industry...leaves me two places to live: MI or CA. We ended up loving MI, so whatever. It's also WAY cheaper than CA. Probably on par with Colorado.

The thing is, if it's something you really want to do in your career, there's not much choice. Personally, I'd give up the career advancement to live where you live. That's dream status.
Really the end goal is to have a good enough paying job that I love, and allows me go home happy to my family every single day while living in the mountains. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s realistic, not unless I abandon everything I’ve accomplished and start over making no money in something totally different. I want to work to live not live to work. The California option and the Colorado situation both check off a bunch of boxes but neither hits on everything.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Dbest wrote:
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm Understood. I'm in the auto industry...leaves me two places to live: MI or CA. We ended up loving MI, so whatever. It's also WAY cheaper than CA. Probably on par with Colorado.

Really the end goal is to have a good enough paying job that I love, and allows me go home happy to my family every single day while living in the mountains. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s realistic, not unless I abandon everything I’ve accomplished and start over making no money in something totally different. I want to work to live not live to work. The California option and the Colorado situation both check off a bunch of boxes but neither hits on everything.
How much money is enough? You could have it all if you don't need to be rich.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm
Dbest wrote:
How much money is enough? You could have it all if you don't need to be rich.
Enough is to be able to have a nice home/property, not living pay check to paycheck, being able to afford to regularly go out to and try different restaurants and breweries. Being able to vacation without months and months of planning and saving. Having nice reliable vehicles (and lets be honest, the mod bug never really goes away), I don't want to have to budget and plan in order to be able to (within reason) buy things we want/need. I like not having to think twice about buying annual passes for National Parks, the Zoo, the Children's Museum, skiing, and things like that. I don't want to have send my son to an in home daycare vs a Montessori that requires all the caregivers to have degrees related to teaching or childhood development. I want to live comfortably and still be able to grow our savings and retirement investments. I know reading that makes it sounds like a lot but I don't feel likes it's asking for as much as you'd think. We're not the type that goes out shopping for fun, were not into fashion, watches, shoes, or jewelry. We tend to spend money on things we use, practical stuff, quality outdoor gear and equipment but in general I would say we are relatively frugal. We wil spen the money on things if we feel the value is there. For example we are still rocking a 50" 960p plasma, because we don't have a need for more to justify buying one, but I like that if it dies tomorrow its no big deal to go buy a new tv.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

What does your wife say? IIRC she makes big bucks/has a say?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Dbest wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm How much money is enough? You could have it all if you don't need to be rich.
Enough is to be able to have a nice home/property, not living pay check to paycheck, being able to afford to regularly go out to and try different restaurants and breweries. Being able to vacation without months and months of planning and saving. Having nice reliable vehicles (and lets be honest, the mod bug never really goes away), I don't want to have to budget and plan in order to be able to (within reason) buy things we want/need. I like not having to think twice about buying annual passes for National Parks, the Zoo, the Children's Museum, skiing, and things like that. I don't want to have send my son to an in home daycare vs a Montessori that requires all the caregivers to have degrees related to teaching or childhood development. I want to live comfortably and still be able to grow our savings and retirement investments. I know reading that makes it sounds like a lot but I don't feel likes it's asking for as much as you'd think. We're not the type that goes out shopping for fun, were not into fashion, watches, shoes, or jewelry. We tend to spend money on things we use, practical stuff, quality outdoor gear and equipment but in general I would say we are relatively frugal. We wil spen the money on things if we feel the value is there. For example we are still rocking a 50" 960p plasma, because we don't have a need for more to justify buying one, but I like that if it dies tomorrow its no big deal to go buy a new tv.
So how much do you need on top of what your wife makes, $50k?
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I want you to take it so you can leave your current job and tell us all exactly what you do and for who.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 pm

What does your wife say? IIRC she makes big bucks/has a say?
She’s my wife.... of course she gets to have a say, in everything. We talked about it and she said she’d be a lot more open to California if her family hadn’t followed us and moved to Colorado. She said she’s willing to explore to the option but it really needs to be the ideal situation for us to move. My hang up up is if I say yes I’m interested, we go through the process, and then I don’t take it I could see not getting offered that opportunity a second time.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 pm
Dbest wrote:
So how much do you need on top of what your wife makes, $50k?
I guess it depends on the location and cost of living of where we’re talking about. We really lucked out in buying our house when we did, because the value has sky rocketed and we probably wouldn’t have bought it at today’s value. In the current situation I wouldn’t be comfortable with our ability to still save and grow our retirement if I wasn’t at least in the 55-60 range, it would be a big pay cut but doable.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 am I want you to take it so you can leave your current job and tell us all exactly what you do and for who.
All my shut up papers and the legal stuff is valid for another 4 years after separating from the company.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dbest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 am
wap wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 am I want you to take it so you can leave your current job and tell us all exactly what you do and for who.
All my shut up papers and the legal stuff is valid for another 4 years after separating from the company.
Dang :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.