New Job, Relocation Advice?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm I just don’t want to deal with break-ins whether vehicle or residential.
Living in an apartment complex isn't really going to change that.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 am

Damn, I didn't know the rent is that low, I always assumed they are atleast $2k

Edit: I never really been to those neck of the woods, closer to Chinatown, and Capital One Arena if you want to catch a Wizards game.
That's a room with two roommates :doe: . It could be something to consider for :millennial: though, meet some people through the roommies. But since I think he's going to be living with the gf, I'd :nope: from roommates... Also, don't want to get into a :dong: grab situ.
Whoops. Yeah scratch that. No roommates.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

You deal with shit one way or another living in an apartment complex.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm You deal with shit one way or another living in an apartment complex.
Also where renting from individuals is better, IMO. Live in a condo of some kind where most neighbors are owners. Usually they're mostly olds/other professionals in their 20s.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm You deal with shit one way or another living in an apartment complex.
Also where renting from individuals is better, IMO. Live in a condo of some kind where most neighbors are owners. Usually they're mostly olds/other professionals in their 20s.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Live on a block that is all owners and fewer transients and you're going to be better off. My block watches out for one another. Many times during the day when I'm at home I don't even close the front door so the dog/cat can look out the glass storm door. We don't really have any crime on my block aside from an occasional package getting stolen from someone's stoop. But no break ins or muggings or any of that shit.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I haven’t even been able to look up whether it is owned or condo or not. Any websites/resources for me to simply look up those filters? Hard to tell whether they are owned by property management or straight owners.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm I had to google MS-13. :wtf:

Is this a real concern or some :caspian: :narc: :rudy: :bs: ?
+1
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:39 pm
razr390 wrote:I haven’t even been able to look up whether it is owned or condo or not. Any websites/resources for me to simply look up those filters? Hard to tell whether they are owned by property management or straight owners.
It's all rentals
True. I’ll keep that in mind.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm
razr390 wrote:
True. I’ll keep that in mind.
For your first place that has advantages
What has advantages? The one I sent you or just accepting any rental?

I think that I’m pretty much with my hands tied for the first 12 months. I will ideally get into the place I showed you or something similar, then as I’m in the area I can get to know the area and the market a bit better, save up some money and maybe get a raise and swing a nicer place.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm I just don’t want to deal with break-ins whether vehicle or residential.
I have had my EZ pass visibly shown as well as my iphone cable when I have parked my car overnight in Arlington, but I wouldn't leave my sunglasses and other stuff visible, just being from Istanbul instincts.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm
I have had my EZ pass visibly shown as well as my iphone cable when I have parked my car overnight in Arlington, but I wouldn't leave my sunglasses and other stuff visible, just being from Istanbul instincts.
I have a dash cam that is brutally obvious in the windshield and it will turn on at any slam of the door of push of my car. I’m figuring that + backing in might be my safest bet
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

I have a dash cam that is brutally obvious in the windshield and it will turn on at any slam of the door of push of my car. I’m figuring that + backing in might be my safest bet
To the average :derp: car burglar, the dash cam probably screams steal me more than it is a deterrent :iono: . I wouldn't stress over all of that too much, use common sense and you'll likely be fine.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Get renters and comprehensive insurance for peace of mind.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm
razr390 wrote:
What has advantages? The one I sent you or just accepting any rental?

I think that I’m pretty much with my hands tied for the first 12 months. I will ideally get into the place I showed you or something similar, then as I’m in the area I can get to know the area and the market a bit better, save up some money and maybe get a raise and swing a nicer place.
Amenities you won't get at owner rented. A truly property management response so if something breaks someone will come fix it, not the owners brother in law, etc.

Once you know the game better, owner rented is better.
:notbad: I think we’ll do the one I sent you or something similar for our first lease and once we get more comfortable with the area, the commute times, the market, etc. we can make the best decision at that time. Going in blind as we are now puts us at a distinct disadvantage
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

That is a bonus to have for sure, if you want to try to hide it, maybe do a sunshade tint.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm Amenities you won't get at owner rented. A truly property management response so if something breaks someone will come fix it, not the owners brother in law, etc.

Once you know the game better, owner rented is better.
:notbad: I think we’ll do the one I sent you or something similar for our first lease and once we get more comfortable with the area, the commute times, the market, etc. we can make the best decision at that time. Going in blind as we are now puts us at a distinct disadvantage
Solid plan brother. The place you sent is totally fine for a year at least. If you like it, stay. If you find somewhere better then go. It's cheap and seems to cover all the bases you were looking for.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm
troyguitar wrote:I had to google MS-13. :wtf:

Is this a real concern or some :caspian: :narc: :rudy: :bs: ?
Not a real concern.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm
Solid plan brother. The place you sent is totally fine for a year at least. If you like it, stay. If you find somewhere better then go. It's cheap and seems to cover all the bases you were looking for.
:dat: :tits:
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm Get renters and comprehensive insurance for peace of mind.
this. so much this. it's only a few hundred dollars for the year. you can either get joint policy or separate policies.
Last edited by nuggstein on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:crang:
nuggstein
Drives: 2012 GTI

may I ask what brand/model?
:crang:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm
:dat: :tits:
in4link
razr390

nuggstein wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm
may I ask what brand/model?
Anker ROAV C1.