79%
I wasn't affected
21%

Total votes: 14
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am How long does a credit freeze last, and how quickly can it be lifted?
It lasts as long as you want it to last, and you can unfreeze your credit in a matter of minutes. You'll get a PIN from each of the bureaus, you just save that somewhere safe, then when you want to unfreeze your credit you can either do so indefinitely, for a certain number of days, or even specify a specific lending institution. My lease was through Chase, so I gave a 24 hour window to Chase to check my credit with Equifax and TransUnion, then after 24 hours my credit was frozen again without me having to do anything.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am How long does a credit freeze last, and how quickly can it be lifted?
It lasts as long as you want it to last, and you can unfreeze your credit in a matter of minutes. You'll get a PIN from each of the bureaus, you just save that somewhere safe, then when you want to unfreeze your credit you can either do so indefinitely, for a certain number of days, or even specify a specific lending institution. My lease was through Chase, so I gave a 24 hour window to Chase to check my credit with Equifax and TransUnion, then after 24 hours my credit was frozen again without me having to do anything.
Woa, that's awesome. I might need to consider this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

It's the safest way to go about things. Not a bad idea if you don't foresee any credit needs in the near future.
Buying a haus. Can't freeze a thing. :|
Not for a couple weeks. Once closed, you can freeze all the things.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

For anyone who's interested, a step by step on how to freeze your credit.

:doit: :doit: :doit: :doit: :doit: :doit:

http://petetheplanner.com/exactly-how-t ... ur-credit/

What are you waiting for? :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

It's $10 per to freeze, then $10 per to lift, then repeat in Michigan.

Fucking hell. What a scam.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 am It's $10 per to freeze, then $10 per to lift, then repeat in Michigan.

Still probably cheaper than identity theft protection unless you're constantly taking out loans. Those services are usually ~$10/mo.

But agree, it makes me fucking :rage:.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 am It's $10 per to freeze, then $10 per to lift, then repeat in Michigan.

Same in PA. $10 to lock. $10 to unlock. A window might only cost $10 once doe not sure.
Apex

NJ it's free to freeze and only $5 to unfreeze. :notbad: actually.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 am

Still probably cheaper than identity theft protection unless you're constantly taking out loans. Those services are usually ~$10/mo.

But agree, it makes me fucking :rage:.
Honestly, we probably won't be using our credit for a while. But I need to x2 all these charges for the wife.

:rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 am NJ it's free to freeze and only $5 to unfreeze. :notbad: actually.
:notbad: at all. I'd do that.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:26 am
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 am NJ it's free to freeze and only $5 to unfreeze. :notbad: actually.
:notbad: at all. I'd do that.
Only "cheap" thing about living in this state I guess. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:28 am So what's the recommendation here? Put a freeze on all 3 agencies? There's a $10 fee per agency to freeze your credit account, and a $10 fee to lift the freeze if you're applying for credit. I don't have a problem doing that just want to be sure it's necessary.
YES. Everyone in every situation, regardless of income level or whatever else, should freeze their credit.

The credit bureaus are not our friends. They make money in two ways -

1. By selling your information to people who would like to lend you money (~85%)
2. By selling identity theft protection services (~15%)

YOU are the product. They're not there to to help you, they're there to make money off of you and get you to buy more shit. The best part is, when you freeze your credit, they can't sell your information to other companies. No more pre-approved credit cards, no advertisements from random third parties to buy this or that, it's beautiful. Thankfully in Indiana a law was passed that made the credit bureaus unable to charge fees to freeze or unfreeze credit. But they're money grubbing piece of shit organizations that are here to serve no one but themselves.

This whole thing is brilliant on Equifax's part, though. Give away identity theft protection, get people thinking they need it, and then charge them for it at the end of the year. Best analogy I can think of is a 100% impenetrable bank vault. Freezing your credit closes and locks the door. No matter what anyone does to try to take out a line of credit in your name, it's automatically declined. Identity theft protection is like leaving the vault door wide open and just putting a camera near the door. Someone can still walk in and take your shit, you'll just find out about it once they do.
:like:

nice, I didn't know these things.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am

Gas.
:fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am

Gas.
Dat NJ gas tax increase doe
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

nuggstein wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am hacked netflix accounts and hulu accounts go for like 50 cents lol
Yep, my Netflux account got hacked/stolen a month ago and I had to change the password
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Gas.
Dat NJ gas tax increase doe
WA is 44.5 cents per gallon, plus the fed tax of 18 cents :troywax:

Though they're talking about removing the gas tax and somehow switching to a mileage based tax to stick it to all the electric cars out here
nuggstein
Drives: 2012 GTI

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm
nuggstein wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am hacked netflix accounts and hulu accounts go for like 50 cents lol
Yep, my Netflux account got hacked/stolen a month ago and I had to change the password
My girlfriend's mom's account was hacked. We turned it on one night at her house (she hadn't used it in a few months), and three Spanish names had profiles. Sergio was one of them, and they watched a bunch of movies and TV shows in Spanish. When she went to reset the password, the email was sent in Spanish...for some reason they never changed the associated email address. After calling, Netflix said we couldn't remove the "main" profile, so we had to rename it, even though it already had logged a bunch of Spanish films and shows. And we'd have to manually remove previously watched programs to alter the playlist.

What bothered me the most was that Netflix never sent out an alert that the account was being accessed elsewhere, even though you could check it in the Account Activity page. Colombia and Spain. :dafuq: Usually with other sites they alert you even if someone attempted to access your account somewhere else.
:crang:
ChrisoftheNorth

nuggstein wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 pm

My girlfriend's mom's account was hacked. We turned it on one night at her house (she hadn't used it in a few months), and three Spanish names had profiles. Sergio was one of them, and they watched a bunch of movies and TV shows in Spanish. When she went to reset the password, the email was sent in Spanish...for some reason they never changed the associated email address. After calling, Netflix said we couldn't remove the "main" profile, so we had to rename it, even though it already had logged a bunch of Spanish films and shows. And we'd have to manually remove previously watched programs to alter the playlist.

What bothered me the most was that Netflix never sent out an alert that the account was being accessed elsewhere, even though you could check it in the Account Activity page. Colombia and Spain. :dafuq: Usually with other sites they alert you even if someone attempted to access your account somewhere else.
That's when you just cancel and open a new account.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am

That's when you just cancel and open a new account.
:dat:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

FYI, for those who haven't seen this or frequent reddit -
The panda hath arrived.
SixSpeeder

Yeah, my default language was set to Spanish which is how I intially knew something was up :manuel:

I though it was a glitch at first