nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:54 pm this thread: :nope:
Yeah prolly

You need to pay al gore :doe:
Sometimes I think storms like this are Nature's way of giving us the finger.
:crang:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

nuggstein wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm I can't believe how strong Hurricane Irma is. It's unbelievable how much destruction it has caused in the Caribbean, and it hasn't even come close to stopping. So sad.

Best wishes for everyone and their families on DFD who will affected by it in the next few days. Stay safe.
Breh. Galveston was leveled turn of century. Betsy took most the gulf coast out in 50s. The big fucking storms come around every 10 years. Bound to happen. There were larger storms before they could rank and track them.

Edit. 1965. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Betsy
Last edited by dubshow on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Camille was a real bad one in the late 60s too. They didn't even have Cats for those. It literally rolled up the concrete and paving of roads.
nuggstein

Damn, I didn't even think about those previous storms, not really familiar with them. How long do you think it would take to rebuild? Or even an island like Barbuda where at least 90% of homes were destroyed.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So there. In the 60s the gulf got smoked hard by two Devistating hurricanes in just 4 years.

I'll take my bad ones every 10 years
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

nuggstein wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 pm Damn, I didn't even think about those previous storms, not really familiar with them. How long do you think it would take to rebuild? Or even an island like Barbuda where at least 90% of homes were destroyed.
Those isolated island will take 10-20 years to get back to pre storm. Infrastructure alone will take 5-10 years.

I mean. Hell New Orleans is a first world city with modern power and transit and supplies and its 12+ years and counting.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

The question is why keep rebuilding in some of these areas...
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 am The question is why keep rebuilding in some of these areas...
is it your money? no? then :gtfo:
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 am The question is why keep rebuilding in some of these areas...
If people are rebuilding using funds from federal flood insurance then yes, it is our money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
If people are rebuilding using funds from federal flood insurance then yes, it is our money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
but everyone has federal flood insurance because they are the only game in town and massively distort pricing.

Look, I'm all for getting the feds out the flood insurance game so that the market sends correct pricing signals to tell people where and where not to build...

But telling people to not rebuild is fucked.

Like "hey, we shouldn't build freedom tower because its just a target. the twins got hit twice, that's enough, no more super tall buildings in DT manhattan"
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We also don't build neighborhoods in Antarctica. At what point do people acknowledge that building in certain areas doesn't make sense?

:triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:11 am We also don't build neighborhoods in Antarctica. At what point do people acknowledge that building in certain areas doesn't make sense?

BRB, Moving my house.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:11 am We also don't build neighborhoods in Antarctica. At what point do people acknowledge that building in certain areas doesn't make sense?

BRB, Moving my house.
This might take awhile.
ChrisoftheNorth

BRB, Moving my house.
I know it's personal and :triggered: for some, but think about it a bit.

I've never been tied to anywhere, and I've probably moved more times than anyone here, so I'm skewed. But if that shit was happening to me, I'd :nope: out so fast.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am

BRB, Moving my house.

I've never been tied to anywhere, and I've probably moved more times than anyone here, so I'm skewed. But if that shit was happening to me, I'd :nope: out so fast.
I'll remember this sentiment next time the mid west has an epic snow storm.

As far as moving goes, yeah, that's probably going to be in the cards for Jessi and I. Previously we both needed to be here to take care of our aging parents, now that's no longer an issue, it's my career tying me down. I must admit, I really do enjoy where I work and it would be hard to pack up and leave that.

The flood was a freak incident, and hurricanes hit here so infrequently, it's worth it to me to roll the dice. We're also inland far enough that it never hits us that hard.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am

BRB, Moving my house.

the simple fact of the matter is that people love water. And we need water to move our heavy shit. This means that there are whole industries along the coasts dedicated to moving heavy shit, builing shit to move heavy shit, processing heavy shit, maintaining the heavy shit moving equipment, etc.

And those people have to live somewhere.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am I know it's personal and :triggered: for some, but think about it a bit.

I'll remember this sentiment next time the mid west has an epic snow storm.

As far as moving goes, yeah, that's probably going to be in the cards for Jessi and I. Previously we both needed to be here to take care of our aging parents, now that's no longer an issue, it's my career tying me down. I must admit, I really do enjoy where I work and it would be hard to pack up and leave that.

The flood was a freak incident, and hurricanes hit here so infrequently, it's worth it to me to roll the dice. We're also inland far enough that it never hits us that hard.
I don't want sympathy during a snow storm. It's 100% my choice to live here, and I have to deal with that. Snow storms almost never have the devastating impact of a hurricane or the like, but still...it's what we have to deal with.

FWIW, I wasn't really talking about you guys. You're pretty far inland compared to where you could be...even when a hurricane hits, it's far weaker by the time it reaches you guys.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am I know it's personal and :triggered: for some, but think about it a bit.

the simple fact of the matter is that people love water. And we need water to move our heavy shit. This means that there are whole industries along the coasts dedicated to moving heavy shit, builing shit to move heavy shit, processing heavy shit, maintaining the heavy shit moving equipment, etc.

And those people have to live somewhere.
The moving heavy things part...that's a valid one.
nuggstein

Thought this was pretty cool.

I think those things cost like $18,000, but I guess they're worth it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

nuggstein wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am Thought this was pretty cool.

those people are fucking stupid; house is already on piers.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 pm
nuggstein wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm I can't believe how strong Hurricane Irma is. It's unbelievable how much destruction it has caused in the Caribbean, and it hasn't even come close to stopping. So sad.

Best wishes for everyone and their families on DFD who will affected by it in the next few days. Stay safe.
Breh. Galveston was leveled turn of century. Betsy took most the gulf coast out in 50s. The big fucking storms come around every 10 years. Bound to happen. There were larger storms before they could rank and track them.

Edit. 1965. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Betsy
We really don't know shit about storms in the Atlantic and the strength they can reach.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

yep
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So it'll protect you from 1 foot of water?
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

:sass:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
nuggstein

geez, according to this live thread here cosisting of tropical storm experts...it's gonna become a category 5 hurricane again.

https://www.reddit.com/live/zkadef2ttzql/