Congratulations MahTroy!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 pm The venue rental wasn't any more than any other wedding venue. They're all expensive unless you use your uncle's barn.
we did a plantation wedding for 6k, food and drink included.

I suspect that the castle was more than 6k.
Venue+food was about that, not including booze.

We only looked at places with fully indoor options (for both ceremony and reception) because weather happens. This was on the lower end of the price range of places that we saw.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
we did a plantation wedding for 6k, food and drink included.

I suspect that the castle was more than 6k.
Venue+food was about that, not including booze.

We only looked at places with fully indoor options (for both ceremony and reception) because weather happens. This was on the lower end of the price range of places that we saw.
:notbad:
It looks MUCH more pricey than that.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am Venue+food was about that, not including booze.

That was our conclusion... if we're going to spend too much money, we might as well spend it on something badass since it's in the same price range as most other places. (assuming you're not OK with using an outdoor venue and banking on good weather, which would have fucked us for sure)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am :notbad:
That was our conclusion... if we're going to spend too much money, we might as well spend it on something badass since it's in the same price range as most other places. (assuming you're not OK with using an outdoor venue and banking on good weather, which would have fucked us for sure)
Planning an outdoor wedding when you have Troy luck would certainly be a terrible call.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 am :triggered:

What is this plantation though? It's impossible to have a wedding for $6k here unless you're throwing it at someone's home for free, barbecuing yourself, etc. $10k budget would result in something simple and unassuming with no flowers or live music.
Where is "here"? I call massive amounts of bullshit. I'd be thrilled to show you $10k weddings that had both real flowers AND live music.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
troyguitar

My mom did all of our flowers for "free" aka as a yuuge gift, around $1k in materials at her cost plus who knows what in her own free labor.

The band, plus ceremony pianist, plus PA/mics/lighting, plus a year of dance lessons and choreography to make 2 white people look like they can dance ran about $6k.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

So did the pile of gift checks pay for the wedding? :popcorn:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm So did the pile of gift checks pay for the wedding? :popcorn:
Haven't actually added it up, but there's no way it's even close. Maybe half?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm So did the pile of gift checks pay for the wedding? :popcorn:
Haven't actually added it up, but there's no way it's even close. Maybe half?
to the :troywax: retirement account it goes!
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm
Calvinball wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm

What's the strange past?

Sent from the Beer Depository
It sat unused for years decaying after some eccentric wanted to build a castle in KY. Rumor was it was the actor from the "6 million dollar mam" TV show. It was a local landmark for years that no one could access. Some dude bought it and started to restore it and a "mysteriousness"fire burned some of it. Now he rents it out at some crazy fee.
This sounds in line with what I'd expect from a castle in KY.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am Venue+food was about that, not including booze.

:dat:
That's an :alpo: deal right there. :impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:44 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Planning an outdoor wedding when you have Troy luck would certainly be a terrible call.
:dat:
Our wedding was in August. It started out :balls: hot and humid, like upper 90's hot. Then, on the way to the reception, the skies opened up and we had a massive rain storm. Several businesses around our hall lost power, but luckily we didn't. We heard later that several guests got home to flooded basements. I'd never do an outdoor wedding, but that's me.
wap

Ours went a long way. Maybe half the wedding and all the honeymoon. We got a lot of cash.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 pm
Ours went a long way. Maybe half the wedding and all the honeymoon. We got a lot of cash.
justboomerthings
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 pm

justboomerthings
We made some bank on our gifts. Back then our venue cost us ~$40/person and our cash gifts were virtually all $100-$200 per person, with a couple - my mom, my uncle, and her folks, each giving us 4 figures. The 3 of them pretty much paid for our honeymoon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sno wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 am :triggered:

What is this plantation though? It's impossible to have a wedding for $6k here unless you're throwing it at someone's home for free, barbecuing yourself, etc. $10k budget would result in something simple and unassuming with no flowers or live music.
Where is "here"? I call massive amounts of bullshit. I'd be thrilled to show you $10k weddings that had both real flowers AND live music.
:bs:

Charlotte, NC. I got engaged once, everything was :waxer: AF, fortunately that was over before we committed to anything, as she def wasn't the girl for me. That was a few years ago when everything was like 75% the cost of today, too.

:iono: Ain't no room for poverty spec in the wedding game.