Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

First, cook with the Green Egg tonight even with some rain happening. :aintcare: NY Strip steaks with this marinade. Went well. Would like them a little closer to medium rare next time, but still plenty juicy and delicious.

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

stripethree wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 pm First, cook with the Green Egg tonight even with some rain happening. :aintcare: NY Strip steaks with this marinade. Went well. Would like them a little closer to medium rare next time, but still plenty juicy and delicious.

Needs more heat, more char.

Get it up to about 700F+ and use the cast iron grille grates.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:48 am
stripethree wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 pm First, cook with the Green Egg tonight even with some rain happening. :aintcare: NY Strip steaks with this marinade. Went well. Would like them a little closer to medium rare next time, but still plenty juicy and delicious.

Needs more heat, more char.

Get it up to about 700F+ and use the cast iron grille grates.
:dat:

Don’t be afraid of the heat Jefe.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Copy. It’s been a minute since I've had a charcoal setup and I did not use enough lump. She got to about 550*.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Went to make a dessert last night and realized I picked up pastry shells instead of puff pastry sheets. Improvised some cheesecake cup tart things. They were delicious. Filling is cream cheese, sugar, vanilla with whipped cream folded in.

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:03 am Don’t be afraid of the heat Jefe.
Do you have any kind of temperature set up beyond the built-in thermometer?

Holding off on accessories until after some regular usage but curious.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 am

I just use the built in. If I were cooking for competition, I might explore some of the other options out there.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

stripethree wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 am Went to make a dessert last night and realized I picked up pastry shells instead of puff pastry sheets. Improvised some cheesecake cup tart things. They were delicious. Filling is cream cheese, sugar, vanilla with whipped cream folded in.

These look 5/7. I need to pick up some fresh pastry sheets and just keep them in the freezer. Impressive and tasty desserts and so easy. I’m going to attempt Ted’s oral shrooms here in the two week or so, will report back.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

stripethree wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 am

Open all the vents and let the fire breath. Close them little by little to get desired temp. All wide open will get you Max temp.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Second cook on the Egg. Hot Italian sausages :giggity:. No pics because I inhaled them, so hungry, so delicious.

Indirect heat, 400* for ~20 mins. Not scuured of higher heat, just what I read online about how to ideally cook 'em. Thought I overdid it because the internal temps got higher than I wanted but they were fantastic. Super juicy, would sausage in my mouth again.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

stripethree wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 pm Second cook on the Egg. Hot Italian sausages :giggity:. No pics because I inhaled them, so hungry, so delicious.

Indirect heat, 400* for ~20 mins. Not scuured of higher heat, just what I read online about how to ideally cook 'em. Thought I overdid it because the internal temps got higher than I wanted but they were fantastic. Super juicy, would sausage in my mouth again.
How do you start your fire? Chimney?
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 am How do you start your fire? Chimney?
First cook, I used the chimney, since the Egg was empty. This time, I had some lump in it to relight and wanted to add more. I tried to get most of the ash through the grate, threw in two lit starter cubes, and dumped the new lump on top.

Left the bottom vent open all the way and the lip up for 10 mins, then closed the lid and opened the top vent to about 3/4. It took some adjustments to both vents to get the temp stable though once it got near 400*. Haven't mastered that yet. It bounced around between 390* and 420* during cooking.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 am How do you start your fire? Chimney?
First cook, I used the chimney, since the Egg was empty. This time, I had some lump in it to relight and wanted to add more. I tried to get most of the ash through the grate, threw in two lit starter cubes, and dumped the new lump on top.

Left the bottom vent open all the way and the lip up for 10 mins, then closed the lid and opened the top vent to about 3/4. It took some adjustments to both vents to get the temp stable though once it got near 400*. Haven't mastered that yet. It bounced around between 390* and 420* during cooking.
Yeah the egg is basically a big chimney. Once the coals are started, open both vents all the way. Temp control takes practice, but you’ll learn where to put the vents.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Dinner tonight. Gin and tonics with blueberries, :fuckyeah:

And simple chicken off the egg with purple potatoes, peppers, asparagus.

Nothin’ fancy but it was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

that looks raw AF my mang. I agree with :waxer:

get yo shit REAL hot.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I can assure you, it is not raw, just the camera and lighting.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 pm I can assure you, it is not raw, just the camera and lighting.
chef boyardubshow
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Fuuuuuck you guys.

So Zilch is at Fap and I don’t handle a lot of the cooking in our kitchen, as I’ve stated before. Just the baking. I can cook, Zilch is just better at it than I while also making much more healthy options.

So about the healthy options thing... I had been wanting to tackle one of Julia Child’s recipes (read: half butter and cream. Worthit.) for a while, specifically her chicken and mushrooms. I usually don’t even like French cuisine but holy shit, this is quite possibly the most delicious thing I have ever made. Seriously.

It doesn’t look like much in a picture but it caused audible sex noises from the kitchen by myself when I first tasted it.

I paired it with orzo but you could put this with anything.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Julia Child is awesome.

Also, if you think you don't like French food, go to Paris for a few days and eat literally anywhere. I guarantee you'll change your mind.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Cooked up a bone in prime ribeye for the mom's day celebration.

My wife has taught me to cook decently.

that's about as pretty a mid rare you get.

baby tax.
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

If you don’t cut your grilled cheese into triangles is it really even a grilled cheese?

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Sno wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am If you don’t cut your grilled cheese into triangles is it really even a grilled cheese?

I believe this is actually mandated by law in several states.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am Cooked up a bone in prime ribeye for the mom's day celebration.

baby tax.
Nice work. How did you cook it? With super luxe 3-4 inch thick tomahawk cuts I usually reverse sear, oven first to desired temperature, then pretty it up in the pan.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm
Sno wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am If you don’t cut your grilled cheese into triangles is it really even a grilled cheese?

I believe this is actually mandated by law in several states.
Then I love breaking the law. I don't like mine cut for me. I'll decide if I need to cut it, but if it isn't some monster burger or towering club sandwich, odds are I won't cut it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am Cooked up a bone in prime ribeye for the mom's day celebration.

baby tax.
Nice work. How did you cook it? With super luxe 3-4 inch thick tomahawk cuts I usually reverse sear, oven first to desired temperature, then pretty it up in the pan.
I seared on the grill 3 minutes per side and finished in the oven basting with ghee every three minutes...took about 12 minutes in oven to finish. Then rest for 10.

I've have pan seared it if it fit :doe:
brain go brrrrrr