rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ImageImageImage
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Made Cuban Black Beans over White Rice and Grilled Citrus and Chimichurri Chicken tonight

I gummed that shit like it was going out of style.....

:nomnom:

:yummy:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Doing keto for a bit. Ive been in keto for about a week (diet has been almsot 2 weeks now) and finally starting to drop lbs. I forgot how backwards I have to think to get more fat than protein and no (or low) net carbs every meal. I also am trying to maintain my IF schedule too...woof. But I have dropped 4lbs so far, imagine I can get about 12ish after the first month (mostly water) and see how long I can go.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I bought a smoker so we can smoke delicious meats and get back to being healthier eating.

So far I have made some delicious foods.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

rockchops wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm Doing keto for a bit. Ive been in keto for about a week (diet has been almsot 2 weeks now) and finally starting to drop lbs. I forgot how backwards I have to think to get more fat than protein and no (or low) net carbs every meal. I also am trying to maintain my IF schedule too...woof. But I have dropped 4lbs so far, imagine I can get about 12ish after the first month (mostly water) and see how long I can go.
Yup sounds about right. I think I lost about 10 pounds the first week when I started Keto. Then it was a consistent 2 pounds per week or so. I dropped from 210-200 quick, then took however many weeks @ 2 pounds per week to get to 180 and then I hit a road block. Found out that I needed to up my fat intake to overcome that hurdle. Once I figured that out I was back on track and started to lose again.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

These 2 beasts hit the smoker tonight. One sugar free and one is not.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am

These 2 beasts hit the smoker tonight. One sugar free and one is not.
:megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 pm Image
:wtf: did you murder :mahtroy:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Steak night like a boss. $18 for 5 sirloin top rounds at Costco. Fantastic. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Irish

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 pm Steak night like a boss. $18 for 5 sirloin top rounds at Costco. Fantastic. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
:drool:
Acid666

2 years. Bruh. Time to bring this shit back.

Irish

:drool:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Breh, no phone call?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:42 pm 2 years. Bruh. Time to bring this shit back.

Good idea Arby’s.
Acid666

So I've been trying to figure a couple of things out but getting conflicting information.
We've been wanting to make our own smoked salmon for the sushi I've been making, but it ain't working as planned. I read that you need to cold smoke it, so I found out about the smoke tube. Since it uses the same pellets as my pellet grill I went ahead and got one. Bitch smokes for days, but I can't seem to get it to pick up the taste of what I'm burning (mesquite, hickory, maple). It just comes out tasting like camp fire. It's not bad, but it ain't the flavor of my pellets. So I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong. Likely I need to tune it down and not fill the tube to the max. It seriously smokes like woah and it might be overkill.

This thing when full burns nearly 6 hours.

Recipe for smoked salmon is to cure it for 48 hours with salt, sugar, dill. It'll pull the moisture out and get it firm (still raw).
Did that, washed all the cure off. It then develops and pellicle I think it's called. Basically a sticky outer layer that the smoke will stick to.

From there you're supposed to cold smoke it. I had a friend tell me to do it for an hour, but online recipes for the same shit tell me 18-24 hours, or even just overnight. Well I did that and I'm left with this.

It's not the same texture as what I see online. You can't slice it thin because it just breaks and smooshes it, like it's not cured and consistent all the way through. So I might try on smaller cuts to figure it out.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I smoke A TON of salmon on my chinese ceramic egg.

Brining is critical for ~24 hours. Even more critical though is letting it sit dry for the pectin to form on the outside. That's anywhere from 12 to 24 hours chilling in the fridge. You know it's ready when the surface is very tacky. This is the difference between delicious smokey flavor and just boring baked salmon.

Prepare the smoker for a cold smoke, under 200 if you can get it. Mine usually parks between 190 and 210 and that's usually ok. Throw the salmon on skin down on parchment paper (so it doesn't stick) and forget about it for an hour to 1.5 hours (depending on how thick the cut is). I used to use a meat thermometer, but now at the hour mark I check to see if it's starting to flake. Ideal doneness is RIGHT as the meat starts to break apart in flakes. I've found that to be anywhere from 1-1.5 hours depending on the fish. Anything longer and it starts to dry out and resemble jerky on the edges, which can be no bueno.

I've also noticed a huge difference between farm raised and wild caught. I prefer farm raised on the smoker...it's fattier so it stays juicier and the end flavor is :mindblown: compared to wild caught. BUT, I prefer wild caught if we're baking it or something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm I smoke A TON of salmon on my chinese ceramic egg.

Brining is critical for ~24 hours. Even more critical though is letting it sit dry for the pectin to form on the outside. That's anywhere from 12 to 24 hours chilling in the fridge. You know it's ready when the surface is very tacky. This is the difference between delicious smokey flavor and just boring baked salmon.

Prepare the smoker for a cold smoke, under 200 if you can get it. Mine usually parks between 190 and 210 and that's usually ok. Throw the salmon on skin down on parchment paper (so it doesn't stick) and forget about it for an hour to 1.5 hours (depending on how thick the cut is). I used to use a meat thermometer, but now at the hour mark I check to see if it's starting to flake. Ideal doneness is RIGHT as the meat starts to break apart in flakes. I've found that to be anywhere from 1-1.5 hours depending on the fish. Anything longer and it starts to dry out and resemble jerky on the edges, which can be no bueno.

I've also noticed a huge difference between farm raised and wild caught. I prefer farm raised on the smoker...it's fattier so it stays juicier and the end flavor is :mindblown: compared to wild caught. BUT, I prefer wild caught if we're baking it or something.

I did read about the brine process, but a bunch of the recipes I found didn't have this as part of the process.
I think the main difference from what you're describing, and might be why mine didn't have that step, was that I'm trying to make raw smoked sushi, not cook it. My pellet grill will smoke and grill down in the 180-200 range, so getting those temps is no problem, but I don't want it cooked. All the recipes I'm seeing are saying to use the smoke tube and no heat at all from the pit. (please let me know if I'm wrong here)

Also, my research tells me (this pertains to your wild vs. farm comment) that "sushi grade" is a kind of loose term but in general if it's sushi grade it's able to be eaten raw.
Sushi grade HAS to be farm raised. Wild salmon will of course be more susceptible to parasites. When you buy it, it'll almost always be labeled with farm raised or wild. For raw, it can be produced anywhere in the world EXCEPT for Scotland, which I believe raises them in seawater and not filtered farm ponds.
It also cannot be fresh and never frozen. Qualifying as sushi grade means that it was fresh and farm raised, then frozen at something like 4 or -4 degrees for X amount of time and then thawed out. You can buy fresh salmon, but you'll need to freeze it on your own. Only problem is most freezers apparently get to 20° and it really needs to be down to that 4 or -4.
Anywho, that's what my research has lead me to when trying to make raw sushi grade salmon.
Acid666

Pellet grill pizzas bruh
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:33 am Pellet grill pizzas bruh
So fucking hot.

Here's the video I took while :drunk: making that dilla

Language warning
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Goddam. Acid kicking major ass.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am So fucking hot.

Language warning
You have many angers when cooks.
Does that grill have hot spots or does it cover a good area? Like is the heat element under it a circle or square area?

Also, that Kinder brand is the shit. We have some of that woodfire garlic, and they make a Garlic bbq sauce that's my new fav.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:30 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am So fucking hot.

Language warning
You have many angers when cooks.
Does that grill have hot spots or does it cover a good area? Like is the heat element under it a circle or square area?

Also, that Kinder brand is the shit. We have some of that woodfire garlic, and they make a Garlic bbq sauce that's my new fav.
The burners are arranged like this, with the red like being the "searing" burner as it's closest to the propane. You might be asking because only part of the grill is full seasoned, but that's because I rarely use more than two burners at a time.

That reminds me I need to get an IR thermometer for the grill.