Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Nice work. How did you cook it? With super luxe 3-4 inch thick tomahawk cuts I usually reverse sear, oven first to desired temperature, then pretty it up in the pan.
I seared on the grill 3 minutes per side and finished in the oven basting with ghee every three minutes...took about 12 minutes in oven to finish. Then rest for 10.

I've have pan seared it if it fit :doe:
I use a saw to cut off the bone so it fits in a cast iron skillet.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

I seared on the grill 3 minutes per side and finished in the oven basting with ghee every three minutes...took about 12 minutes in oven to finish. Then rest for 10.

I've have pan seared it if it fit :doe:
I thought about breaking out the hacksaw myself but the wife gave a bit of a sideways glance so it got grilled :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 pm

I thought about breaking out the hacksaw myself but the wife gave a bit of a sideways glance so it got grilled :lol:
Exactly what I use. The bone is nice decoration and all but when it jacks with my cooking brogram I :nuke: it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

:dat:
I believe this is actually mandated by law in several states.
Then I love breaking the law. I don't like mine cut for me. I'll decide if I need to cut it, but if it isn't some monster burger or towering club sandwich, odds are I won't cut it.
Criminal! ;)
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

:dat:
I believe this is actually mandated by law in several states.
Then I love breaking the law. I don't like mine cut for me. I'll decide if I need to cut it, but if it isn't some monster burger or towering club sandwich, odds are I won't cut it.
Criminal! ;)
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

pan fried chicken with lemon garlic sauce over risotto and a side of asparagusImage
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Warm weather version of tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Tomato gazpacho with cucumbers and red peppers and homemade pimento cheese sandwiches. :fuckyeah:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Chicken kebabs marinated in a bunch of stuff, couscous with cucumber, dried apricots, kalamatas, and toasted walnuts, and that’s harissa hummus under the chicken.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:44 pm Image

Chicken kebabs marinated in a bunch of stuff, couscous with cucumber, dried apricots, kalamatas, and toasted walnuts, and that’s harissa hummus under the chicken.

That looks really good. Cucumbers are one of my favorites but cooked squash isn’t one of my favorites. Constantly looking for new ways to do cucumbers. Couscous with olives is now in the lost to try.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
wap

Looks great!
Calvinball

wap wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Looks great!
It got rave reviews from the wife unit.
Calvinball

Sno wrote:

That looks really good. Cucumbers are one of my favorites but cooked squash isn’t one of my favorites. Constantly looking for new ways to do cucumbers. Couscous with olives is now in the lost to try.
I used a recipe for once. Brit’s sis took a pic and sent it to me:

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Dinner last night. P good.

Hoison glazed pork chops: okay, better if marinated rather than glazed
Asian rice salad: bomb dot com 5/7
Pan fried brussels sprouts with bacon and cranberries: okay... lacked some flavor considering they are pan-fried in bacon fat, and I would also have liked them crispy. I will try these again though, as I had never cooked brussels sprouts before.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I'm keto rn so I drank half a pint of heavy cream, asparagus and turkey last night.

I think I'm eating too much protein because I'm not turning my keto test strips dark red like last time I did this.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:53 am I'm keto rn so I drank half a pint of heavy cream, asparagus and turkey last night.

I think I'm eating too much protein because I'm not turning my keto test strips dark red like last time I did this.
It's very hard to actually go into true ketosis if you aren't weighing stuff out and tracking those macros pretty closely.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am It's very hard to actually go into true ketosis if you aren't weighing stuff out and tracking those macros pretty closely.
My ex tracked for the first 90 days or so, then went without and went by feel/intuition. Combining the knowledge gained of what has what carbs and understanding when you needed what supplements (electrolytes or whatever) she was able to pull it off, mostly. She was/is? doing like 4g or carbs a day or less. Something crazy. Pun intended.

YMMV.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:53 am I'm keto rn so I drank half a pint of heavy cream, asparagus and turkey last night.

It's very hard to actually go into true ketosis if you aren't weighing stuff out and tracking those macros pretty closely.
I did it last year without knowing anything but don't eat bread, sugar basically. I bought test strips and stayed keto for a few weeks and it was super easy to go onto. I was drinking a lot of vodka then and wasn't eating much anyway.

It's taking much longer this time and my wife who decided to try it is struggling.

I think I need to fast more too. Typically don't eat between 8-9 pm and noon.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Starting to get the watery mouth that I got last time doe when I was deep into it.

That's a good sign
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:52 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am

I did it last year without knowing anything but don't eat bread, sugar basically. I bought test strips and stayed keto for a few weeks and it was super easy to go onto. I was drinking a lot of vodka then and wasn't eating much anyway.

It's taking much longer this time and my wife who decided to try it is struggling.

The alcohol may have actually helped you last time since it blocks the absorption of other nutrients.. if you were eating too much protein back then too, the alcohol would have stopped it from going through gluconeogenisis and converting to glucose, which is likely what's happening now if you're over-eating it.

You can try taking exogenous ketones for a bit to help kick you into ketosis while you dial in the diet.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:52 am

The alcohol may have actually helped you last time since it blocks the absorption of other nutrients.. if you were eating too much protein back then too, the alcohol would have stopped it from going through gluconeogenisis and converting to glucose, which is likely what's happening now if you're over-eating it.

You can try taking exogenous ketones for a bit to help kick you into ketosis while you dial in the diet.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Are exogenous ketones supplements all the same? Going to order on Amazon rn
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm

I've never used them, so I can't say anything from personal experience. I can try to dig up some info for you though.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm

I've never used them, so I can't say anything from personal experience. I can try to dig up some info for you though.
Don't worry about it. Going to buy whatever and try it.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Don't worry about it. Going to buy whatever and try it.
:word: Check out DNAKetoNow.. something like that. BIL's friend developed it, and he uses it and likes it. That's the only product I have even second hand knowledge about.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Back in the habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

:drool: