Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Legacy Swagon | Nissan 240sx

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:40 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Not sure where you got coal fired pizza, pretty sure I said "wood fired"... as in, they have an oven that actually burns logs.
It was a separate question. WTF is up with coal fired pizza?
Coal fired pizza is actually a thing and they do mean coal, the mineral. A lot of old NY/East Coast places were coal. If you're combusting it fully, there isn't an issue. Usually they're going after a super thin and crisp crust when using a coal oven.

That Pizza Shelf is interesting, I hadn't seen that before. I use one of the Uuuni 3 wood pellet ovens to do Neapolitan style. The pellets smell nice, but they are a pain if you're doing more than 3 pizzas, so I threw a DIY propane burner in the back of it.

Since we're on the topic, here's a Sicilian pie I did this week in my regular home oven:

and here's one from the Uuni:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Coal fired pizza is actually a thing and they do mean coal, the mineral. A lot of old NY/East Coast places were coal. If you're combusting it fully, there isn't an issue. Usually they're going after a super thin and crisp crust when using a coal oven.

That Pizza Shelf is interesting, I hadn't seen that before. I use one of the Uuuni 3 wood pellet ovens to do Neapolitan style. The pellets smell nice, but they are a pain if you're doing more than 3 pizzas, so I threw a DIY propane burner in the back of it.

Since we're on the topic, here's a Sicilian pie I did this week in my regular home oven:

Yes, please. Will you make these for me next time I'm in Denver?
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:19 pm Yes, please. Will you make these for me next time I'm in Denver?
I'm up in Boulder, but absolutely. Pizza making has turned into a bit of an obsessive hobby.
SAWCE

Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:19 pm Yes, please. Will you make these for me next time I'm in Denver?
I'm up in Boulder, but absolutely. Pizza making has turned into a bit of an obsessive hobby.
Hi, I'm :sawce: , let's be friends.

I'm bummed, I only visited Boulder the very first time I was out in Denver, and I was not expecting that hangover from the altitude... It hit me harder than it ever has before. I just laid in the back of my buddy's car while the rest of them walked around the campus and a few other spots.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 pm

That looks amazing.

I still don't get why advertising that your fire is made with coal is a selling point but to each their own
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm bummed, I only visited Boulder the very first time I was out in Denver, and I was not expecting that hangover from the altitude... It hit me harder than it ever has before. I just laid in the back of my buddy's car while the rest of them walked around the campus and a few other spots.
Sounds good to me :sawce:.

That's a bummer. It hits everyone differently, which is the annoying part when people visit. I just tell people to chug water and expect the worst just in case. Thankfully I've never had much of a problem with it, but I know plenty of people who had your reaction to altitude.
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 pm That looks amazing.

I still don't get why advertising that your fire is made with coal is a selling point but to each their own
Thanks! Like I said, it's become a bit of an obsession. That Sicilian I posted is possibly the best one I've done in that style. I picked up some flour from a local bakery and have been experimenting with it.

I think that the coal is a gimmick for most, so they can stand out from the wood fired places. I've had one coal fired pizza and I didn't notice much of a difference from wood, but the place also wasn't anything crazy. Last time I was in New Jersey I drove by this place and from the outside it looked solid and their pizza certainly looks good.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Sounds good to me :sawce:.

That's a bummer. It hits everyone differently, which is the annoying part when people visit. I just tell people to chug water and expect the worst just in case. Thankfully I've never had much of a problem with it, but I know plenty of people who had your reaction to altitude.
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 pm That looks amazing.

Thanks! Like I said, it's become a bit of an obsession. That Sicilian I posted is possibly the best one I've done in that style. I picked up some flour from a local bakery and have been experimenting with it.

I think that the coal is a gimmick for most, so they can stand out from the wood fired places. I've had one coal fired pizza and I didn't notice much of a difference from wood, but the place also wasn't anything crazy. Last time I was in New Jersey I drove by this place and from the outside it looked solid and their pizza certainly looks good.
Since you seem to be into it, have you tried making a "flammekueche"? They are delicious and I've always wanted to try and make one since it's not something you see outside of the Alsace region. My wife's from that area and I had one the last time we went. Amazing
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm Since you seem to be into it, have you tried making a "flammekueche"? They are delicious and I've always wanted to try and make one since it's not something you see outside of the Alsace region. My wife's from that area and I had one the last time we went. Amazing
Oh really? That's awesome. A friend of mine and [user not found]'s from college is also from the Alsace region, I've eaten quite a few of them the couple times I've gone over to visit. I haven't made one with the Uuni oven, but I have been meaning to. I just need to come up with a workable dough recipe for it. Can't go wrong with crème fraîche and lardons!
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Let’s dust this thread off. It’s been a minute.

Mexican style stuffed peppers (black beans, corn, chorizo, homemade enchiladas sauce) with quinoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sno wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 pm Let’s dust this thread off. It’s been a minute.

Mexican style stuffed peppers (black beans, corn, chorizo, homemade enchiladas sauce) with quinoa.

What's your enchilada sauce recipe?

Mine always turns out tasting like dusty tomatoes
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Sno wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 pm Let’s dust this thread off. It’s been a minute.

My wife makes Messican stuffed peppers in the crock pot, too! They're awesome. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 pm

What's your enchilada sauce recipe?

Mine always turns out tasting like dusty tomatoes
Not really a recipe. I just roughly followed the common ingredients found in the sauce,

1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 onion
3 gloves of garlic
2 chipotle peppers
~tablespoon of chili powder
~teaspoon of cumin
~ dash of cinnamon

Dice onion and sauté for a couple minutes, add garlic and spices and continue to sauté until fragrant. Add everything else and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Blend it (I used an immersion blender)
Use it.

If it gets too thick along the way, add a little chick stock to thin it.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

the :fax: enllightened me on a cream cheese almond flour pizza crust recipe.

I think I will try it this weekend. With the wife not really working a normal grind, she has taken to honing her domestic skills. Braised the hell out of some pork medallions. A+. She packed my lunch for me today, but really skimped on the portions of :meat:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

I attempted to duplicate Ted's "Better Than Oral" stuffed mushrooms last night and was mildly successful. I think something is missing and have to run it by him. Neither of us remember the recipe but I'm working on it.

Also made a killer steak for some quesadillas last night. Cannot remember the cut the butcher recommended but it was fattier than flank, $20/lb. Seared it on the stove, finished it in the oven to mid-rare and god damn it was good. I have the leftovers for lunch. I got to chat with one of the owners at Salt & Time about Green Eggs for a bit and I ran some things by him I want to try. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of them in the coming months.

Dammit I'm hungry and have another meeting between me, steak, and stuffed mushrooms.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

stripethree wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm I attempted to duplicate Ted's "Better Than Oral" stuffed mushrooms last night and was mildly successful. I think something is missing and have to run it by him. Neither of us remember the recipe but I'm working on it.

Also made a killer steak for some quesadillas last night. Cannot remember the cut the butcher recommended but it was fattier than flank, $20/lb. Seared it on the stove, finished it in the oven to mid-rare and god damn it was good. I have the leftovers for lunch. I got to chat with one of the owners at Salt & Time about Green Eggs for a bit and I ran some things by him I want to try. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of them in the coming months.

Dammit I'm hungry and have another meeting between me, steak, and stuffed mushrooms.
What's Green Eggs, Precious?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm
stripethree wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm I attempted to duplicate Ted's "Better Than Oral" stuffed mushrooms last night and was mildly successful. I think something is missing and have to run it by him. Neither of us remember the recipe but I'm working on it.

https://biggreenegg.com/
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 pm

https://biggreenegg.com/
Oh, I thought it was actualy food :( :fatty:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

stripethree wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm Dammit I'm hungry and have another meeting between me, steak, and stuffed mushrooms.
5/7 mostly leftovers lunch plate today.
wap

wap

Calvinball wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm Image

Care to describe?
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Calvinball wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm Image

Care to describe?
Mini biscuits with moldy rice.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm
wap wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Care to describe?
:notbad:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 pm Care to describe?
I was wondering who would guess it!

:therapist:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin