Music/Audio Gear Discussion

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think we've dabled in these threads before, but let's give it another try. Post pictures of your rig, discuss gear, etc.

To start... I'm interested in a new amp, I don't really have anything.

I will be playing mostly with my American Strat, also have an Ibanez with custom electronics and will probably plug my Squier Jazz Bass into it once in a while as well.

I'm thinking either a Blues Junior or a Bass Breaker... thoughts/suggestions?

Blues Junior 15 watt 1X12:

Bassbreaker 15 watt 1X12:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

but does it have bluetooth?

:triggered:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yer gonna have to provide more deetz than that to get meaningful feedback.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 pm Yer gonna have to provide more deetz than that to get meaningful feedback.
This is mostly just for jamming in my house/playing with friends at their houses from time to time. I play whatever, mostly rock stuff(punk/pop/country/basic bitch). I like things that sound great but are very simple, I'd rather turn a few knobs and get straight to playing rather than using a bunch of modeling, effects and things that take forever to dial in.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 pm Yer gonna have to provide more deetz than that to get meaningful feedback.
This is mostly just for jamming in my house/playing with friends at their houses from time to time. I play whatever, mostly rock stuff(punk/pop/country/basic bitch). I like things that sound great but are very simple, I'd rather turn a few knobs and get straight to playing rather than using a bunch of modeling, effects and things that take forever to dial in.
I'm out of the loop on newer stuff, but you're describing a used Peavey Classic 30 off craigslist/ebay.

My personal favorite if you've got more time/money to hunt for one is the Soldano Astroverb 1x12. It's the best. They made a Chinese :scrooge: version of these things too under the Jet City brand name, they're probably worth a look.
troyguitar

Old Mesa combos are also :fuckyeah: if you're patient and you will never lose money on them.

Mark II/III, DC-5, F-30, etc.

The Mark III in particular is in my top 5 amps ever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm out of the loop on newer stuff, but you're describing a used Peavey Classic 30 off craigslist/ebay.

My personal favorite if you've got more time/money to hunt for one is the Soldano Astroverb 1x12. It's the best. They made a Chinese :scrooge: version of these things too under the Jet City brand name, they're probably worth a look.
:troywax:

The Peavey is an interesting suggestion. I played on one of those years ago and IIRC it's similar to the Fender stuff. It has more powah and switchable channels/foot switch which is nice. One of my buddy's from college works at Peavey, I wonder what kind of deals he gets. I just browsed Reverb and the Peavey Classic 30 and the Fender stuff I'm interested in has pretty good resale. Once you factor in I can get tax free/free shipping and probably a discount from Sweetwater through my job, new may be the better route.
troyguitar

You want an old Classic 30 :doe: from before they switched to Made in China. The new shit is cheap for a reason, same goes for Fender.

Buy an old 'murican (or British if you go Marshall) thing, sell it later for more than you paid.

If you want to be able to play with other people, the 30 is pretty much the minimum power level you want. 4x EL84 power section or 2x 6L6/El34's is what you're looking for at that point.
troyguitar

Other great oddball option: Yamaha T50C. Designed by Mike Soldano back in the day. 90% of an SLO for 1/4 the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-T50C-Sol ... SwlndZJI5x
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 pm Other great oddball option: Yamaha T50C. Designed by Mike Soldano back in the day. 90% of an SLO for 1/4 the price:

Interesting... no real way to try this or a Soldano out :doe: :disappoint:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Where to start.
Meh.

Dingwall NG-2 Combustion - Yellow
Douglas WOB 826 Fretless 6 string
Ibanez BTB405qm 5 string (quilted maple)
Ibanez BTB785pb 5 String (poplar burl top w/ piezos)
B.C. Rich Trace Warbeast 4 string
Charvel 3B - 4 string, Active EMG PJ pickups w/ Darkglass Tone Capsule

Main rig -
Darkglass M900
Ampeg SVT-810E & Ampeg 610
Pedalboard
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Darkglass B7K
Darkglass B3K
MXR Phase 90
MXR M87 Bass Compressor
MXR M169 Carbon Copy
MXR M81 Preamp
MXR DC Brick

Backup rig/Currently unused
6U Gator Rack
Gallien-Krueger MB800 Fusion
GK 1001RBII
Sansamp RBI
Korg rack tuner
BBE Sonic Maximizer
MXR Phase 100
MXR M80 Bass DI
Darkglass Duality
Dunlop Crybaby 105q Wah
SWR Goliath III 4X10
GK Backline 210 combo amp
VOX Bass headphone adapter
Fender SR1010 Wireless System

This is my latest pedalboard setup. I run 2 channels. One for tapping, one for everything else which has a distortion added.

I don't think this is everything I own. I'm sure I've got other pedals and crap in my spare bedroom. Usually once every 6 months I change my chain up and do something different depending on how my play style has adapted to the new stuff we write.
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 pm Other great oddball option: Yamaha T50C. Designed by Mike Soldano back in the day. 90% of an SLO for 1/4 the price:

Just get that T50. You're gonna like the way you sound.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm

:notbad:

T'would be unique. Man, dropping $600 :doe: :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:impressive: gear collection, Acid. I totally forgot B.C. Rich guitars were a thing :disgust:
Acid666

You're looking for a small bass amp or guitar amp to plug your bass into as well? my logic (bass gear) has always been get the highest wattage you can afford. The Fender Rumbles are a great bang for the buck. I can't do combos anymore though.... What I play demands a shit ton of power. Hence why I have 800-900 watt amps.
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm You're looking for a small bass amp? my logic has always been get the highest wattage you can afford. The Fender Rumbles are a great bang for the buck. I can't do combos anymore though.... What I play demands a shit ton of power. Hence why I have 800-900 watt amps.
Guitar... that I will probably play a little bass through as well. I don't need a ton of powah, mostly this is bedroom jamming.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Better to buy a good used amp for $500-1500 and sell it later for the same price or more than to spend $400 on some Chinese thing and sell it for $200 later.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm You're looking for a small bass amp? my logic has always been get the highest wattage you can afford. The Fender Rumbles are a great bang for the buck. I can't do combos anymore though.... What I play demands a shit ton of power. Hence why I have 800-900 watt amps.
Guitar... that I will probably play a little bass through as well. I don't need a ton of powah, mostly this is bedroom jamming.
Man, with the miracle of digital shit out now, I'd just get a program and patch it through whatever amps you'd want and play thru studio monitors. Unless you're looking to pick up and go and play with other people. WHich in that case those little amps don't work well for if your drummer and other people are using stuff that's bigger.
Clownshoobie
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Clownshoe

Analog Outfitters produces the most interesting amps in the world. They recycle unwanted Hammond organs, re-using their tubs chassis and case wood to create one-of-a-kind amps and instruments.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Man, with the miracle of digital shit out now, I'd just get a program and patch it through whatever amps you'd want and play thru studio monitors. Unless you're looking to pick up and go and play with other people. WHich in that case those little amps don't work well for if your drummer and other people are using stuff that's bigger.
Meh, having to open up software and all that shit just takes away from the experience for me. I mean... I work for an audio hardware manufacturer. I'm just not about dialing in my guitar with my mouse.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Better to buy a good used amp for $500-1500 and sell it later for the same price or more than to spend $400 on some Chinese thing and sell it for $200 later.
Assuming I like it I'll probably keep whatever I get for the rest of my life. I don't :plac: music shit.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Meh, having to open up software and all that shit just takes away from the experience for me. I mean... I work for an audio hardware manufacturer. I'm just not about dialing in my guitar with my mouse.
Trust me, I totally feel ya. I was looking into guitar gear so I can write more on guitar instead of bass and my god, the tones people are getting with digital recording with all inclusive software is ridiculous now. I'd just get BIAS or some other software and just shred it up on a recording. I don't even play amps at home since I'm always running through my Seinheizers. I'm about to sell off some gear soon to fund other things and clear up some space.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm

:word:

To be fair, though, I haven't changed a single setting on my digital practice rig since like 2012. I dialed in a set of 5 different tones that I like and never touched it again. It's an old digitech RP250 sent to the little bookshelf monitors that I use for my PC sound.

For a :scrooge: combo that's just barely loud enough to play with other people I have an old Carvin SX100. It's OK for clean jazz tones but otherwise sounds like :poop: to be honest but it's super cheap and super light for carrying around... of course I haven't played with other people since 2013 now. :sad:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Assuming I like it I'll probably keep whatever I get for the rest of my life. I don't :plac: music shit.
All the more reason to get something good and 'murican in the first place instead of a new disposable Chinese thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 pm

All the more reason to get something good and 'murican in the first place instead of a new disposable Chinese thing.
I'm kind of intrigued by the US Classic 30, you piqued my interest there. I totally forgot about these, played on my dad's friend's back in 2003 or so and it was great. I'm assuming I can't afford used Fender 'Murican shit.