WRONG. LASER.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:27 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 pm
3 reactors blew at fukUshima, blew the containment buildings to shreds and melted through them creating their own elephant foots... I don't see how it would be a smaller release unless somehow the russian uranium was far more potent.
:wrong:

The two plants used very different designs and the GE bwr in Japan has many more safety features

The explosion you saw on TV was a hydrogen explosion from H2 that gathered at the roof and found a spark, NOT a steam, reactor explosion like Chernobyl. I'm short....the reactor core was never exposed to raw atmosphere like in Chernobyl.

While the Fukushima reactor did melt, (so did TMI), it likely has not breached the secondary containment vessel. This is a feature Chernobyl did not have. Once through the pressure vessel the coruim could go wherever in Chernobyl. In Japan, it's likely all colleted somewhere between the wet well and the dry well.

Fukushima power plant was also a slow, entirely predicable disaster. There are entire books written on how and why, but a few take home messages:
The tusamni crippled the ability of the gov to respond and knocked out off-site power.
Putting the generators in the basement in a tusamni zone is a fundemental design flaw.
Not interlinking the power systems of the other units is a design flaw (a regulatory one)
And not having station blackout procedure after the 8 hours of instrumentation battery died. This is important because after the 8 hours was up they sat on their hands and basically allowed this to happen.

Just trying to educate here...
Interesting insight into the :fax: man.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

wap wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 pm

The two plants used very different designs and the GE bwr in Japan has many more safety features

The explosion you saw on TV was a hydrogen explosion from H2 that gathered at the roof and found a spark, NOT a steam, reactor explosion like Chernobyl. I'm short....the reactor core was never exposed to raw atmosphere like in Chernobyl.

While the Fukushima reactor did melt, (so did TMI), it likely has not breached the secondary containment vessel. This is a feature Chernobyl did not have. Once through the pressure vessel the coruim could go wherever in Chernobyl. In Japan, it's likely all colleted somewhere between the wet well and the dry well.

Fukushima power plant was also a slow, entirely predicable disaster. There are entire books written on how and why, but a few take home messages:
The tusamni crippled the ability of the gov to respond and knocked out off-site power.
Putting the generators in the basement in a tusamni zone is a fundemental design flaw.
Not interlinking the power systems of the other units is a design flaw (a regulatory one)
And not having station blackout procedure after the 8 hours of instrumentation battery died. This is important because after the 8 hours was up they sat on their hands and basically allowed this to happen.

:mahman:

caught that too. He sells himself short.

:lolol:
wap

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:28 pm

:mahman:

caught that too. He sells himself short.

:lolol:
:lolgasm:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:rolleyes:
Fucking autocorrect
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 pm

:rolleyes:
Fucking autocorrect
:hue:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ZX9zx90_xY
The man, who is in his late 20s or early 30s, said he was building a 'quantum physics generator' in his garage and referenced 'alpha waves' and a 'particle accelerator' in his call last night.

The evacuation order was issued for several streets in Northwest Columbus on, as a bomb squad, arson fire investigators and medics rushed to the potentially radioactive scene.

Radiation level checks were conducted on the man, but came back negative.

After police and experts found there was no threat, residents were allowed to return to their homes at 9.20pm.

The most famous case of a homemade radiation was when schoolboy scout David Hahn forced the evacuation of around 40,000 homes in 1996 when he built his own secret neutron source in his garden shed.

When his car was searched a toolbox of radioactive materials was found. Alarmed state radiological experts went on to search his shed that he confessed to using as his laboratory.

They found 1,000 times the amount of normal background radiation, sealed it up and called in the Environmental Protection Agency.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ZX9zx90_xY
The man, who is in his late 20s or early 30s, said he was building a 'quantum physics generator' in his garage and referenced 'alpha waves' and a 'particle accelerator' in his call last night.

The evacuation order was issued for several streets in Northwest Columbus on, as a bomb squad, arson fire investigators and medics rushed to the potentially radioactive scene.

Radiation level checks were conducted on the man, but came back negative.

After police and experts found there was no threat, residents were allowed to return to their homes at 9.20pm.

The most famous case of a homemade radiation was when schoolboy scout David Hahn forced the evacuation of around 40,000 homes in 1996 when he built his own secret neutron source in his garden shed.

When his car was searched a toolbox of radioactive materials was found. Alarmed state radiological experts went on to search his shed that he confessed to using as his laboratory.

They found 1,000 times the amount of normal background radiation, sealed it up and called in the Environmental Protection Agency.

Lololol what a dumbass. He doin the home made shit, he needa build him a shed and line the walls with JB Weld.
I mean, duh.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

One of North Americas largest and cleanest lakes (happens to be the one I have property adjacent to) was targeted by our nuclear power generation companies as a waste disposal site, and in some strange democratic way our Native population had a say in whether or not the land was going to be used in that way. The vote was a landslide :hellno: and thankfully they can go and find another place to store the garbage. Did someone say nuclear power is clean? If so what is the deal with the 200,000lbs of radioactive sludge and what are the impacts of this leaking into our environment? No carbon, no care?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing to see here and I'm just a :derp: , maybe even the stupidest human alive today to be asking these kinds of questions, amirite?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/first- ... -1.4792113
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm One of North Americas largest and cleanest lakes (happens to be the one I have property adjacent to) was targeted by our nuclear power generation companies as a waste disposal site, and in some strange democratic way our Native population had a say in whether or not the land was going to be used in that way. The vote was a landslide :hellno: and thankfully they can go and find another place to store the garbage. Did someone say nuclear power is clean? If so what is the deal with the 200,000lbs of radioactive sludge and what are the impacts of this leaking into our environment? No carbon, no care?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing to see here and I'm just a :derp: , maybe even the stupidest human alive today to be asking these kinds of questions, amirite?

waste disposal is a complicated issue for sure. low and intermediate level stuff (and in that volume you reference) is more than likely tools, protective clothing that is contaminated, instruments, actual trash, etc, etc. and not 'radioactive sludge'

there are two issues to consider here:
1. the fact that this stuff is now contaminated is based on LNT doses, so the low level stuff is very low.

2. the worst of anything contaminated with something dangerous will fall to background or uranium ore levels after 3 or 400 years. so it's not important that it be longer term than that.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:09 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm One of North Americas largest and cleanest lakes (happens to be the one I have property adjacent to) was targeted by our nuclear power generation companies as a waste disposal site, and in some strange democratic way our Native population had a say in whether or not the land was going to be used in that way. The vote was a landslide :hellno: and thankfully they can go and find another place to store the garbage. Did someone say nuclear power is clean? If so what is the deal with the 200,000lbs of radioactive sludge and what are the impacts of this leaking into our environment? No carbon, no care?

waste disposal is a complicated issue for sure. low and intermediate level stuff (and in that volume you reference) is more than likely tools, protective clothing that is contaminated, instruments, actual trash, etc, etc. and not 'radioactive sludge'

1. the fact that this stuff is now contaminated is based on LNT doses, so the low level stuff is very low.

2. the worst of anything contaminated with something dangerous will fall to background or uranium ore levels after 3 or 400 years. so it's not important that it be longer term than that.
That's kind if a relief. How long does the actual "sludge" take to decompose to safe levels and is it usually stored near the power plants?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:09 am

That's kind if a relief. How long does the actual "sludge" take to decompose to safe levels and is it usually stored near the power plants?
sludge was a byproduct of weapons production and processing and power reactors don't make 'sludge'. the fuel remains soild in storage.

once they figured out stuff even newer weapons production does not produce the sludge. I think that is a problem specific to Hanford, and probably somewhere in Russia we don't know about.

fuel storage is a whole other ball of wax to get into. let's just say without further processing....

https://media1.tenor.com/images/46e1863 ... d=15340243

but we could reprocess spent fuel, or burn it in fast spectrum reactors, or re enrich it so it can go through again.... but nooooo we don't do that because it makes too much sense. better to put it in a hole.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 am

sludge was a byproduct of weapons production and processing and power reactors don't make 'sludge'. the fuel remains soild in storage.

once they figured out stuff even newer weapons production does not produce the sludge. I think that is a problem specific to Hanford, and probably somewhere in Russia we don't know about.

fuel storage is a whole other ball of wax to get into. let's just say without further processing....

but we could reprocess spent fuel, or burn it in fast spectrum reactors, or re enrich it so it can go through again.... but nooooo we don't do that because it makes too much sense. better to put it in a hole.
So "waste" then... solid waste from the reactors.. got it. I assume it has a half cycle like everything radioactive. How long does that need to be stored for before it is safe to handle or can dafely leach into the environment?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 am

So "waste" then... solid waste from the reactors.. got it. I assume it has a half cycle like everything radioactive. How long does that need to be stored for before it is safe to handle or can dafely leach into the environment?
I think it drops to the level of ore background in a few thousand years.
https://images.app.goo.gl/cDk6Pxv1Dosc1ak47

now, again, if we put the through a reactor again this stuff can and will burn up.

see, fuel is really only about 2 % fuel. the other 98 percent is not fuel. if we were to make some of that the really high level transuranics, they will burn up. yes you will make more of this bad stuff, but you won't be making more to have to store either.

if we would reprocess fuel (France does this). to chemically pull out the really shitty stuff, you are left with what is essentially ore level radioactive material, transuranics, and a small amount of really nasty shit that will fall to ore level radioactivity in 3 to 400 years. much more manageable. as previously discussed the longer life transuranics can be run though the power reactors again for disposal.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am

I think it drops to the level of ore background in a few thousand years.
https://images.app.goo.gl/cDk6Pxv1Dosc1ak47

now, again, if we put the through a reactor again this stuff can and will burn up.

see, fuel is really only about 2 % fuel. the other 98 percent is not fuel. if we were to make some of that the really high level transuranics, they will burn up. yes you will make more of this bad stuff, but you won't be making more to have to store either.

if we would reprocess fuel (France does this). to chemically pull out the really shitty stuff, you are left with what is essentially ore level radioactive material, transuranics, and a small amount of really nasty shit that will fall to ore level radioactivity in 3 to 400 years. much more manageable. as previously discussed the longer life transuranics can be run though the power reactors again for disposal.
Chart shows total value at closer to 5000 years but who knows maybe that doesn't matter I guess.

It sounds like we are better off with :nuke: but it is still a form of kicking the pollution can down the road if it isn't managed properly. Now this final burn off method that France has implemented sounds 5/7. Hopefully we are doing the right thing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, thanks for explaining it to me Brad. 👍
wap

France seems to have been way ahead of Murica with their nuclear power generation waste processing/storage for quite a while.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am Also, thanks for explaining it to me Brad. 👍
no problem. I try to make it less scary through education!
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:00 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am Also, thanks for explaining it to me Brad. 👍
It's not scary but it deserves to be scrutinized like every other energy supply.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:00 pm
Like sex!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

https://www.ft.com/content/4b6f0fab-66e ... pe=nongift
Fusion energy breakthrough by US scientists boosts clean power hopes
Net energy gain indicates technology could provide an abundant zero-carbon alternative to fossil fuels

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/4b6f0fab-66e ... pe=nongift

US government scientists have made a breakthrough in the pursuit of limitless, zero-carbon power by achieving a net energy gain in a fusion reaction for the first time, according to three people with knowledge of preliminary results from a recent experiment.

Physicists have since the 1950s sought to harness the fusion reaction that powers the sun, but no group had been able to produce more energy from the reaction than it consumes — a milestone known as net energy gain or target gain, which would help prove the process could provide a reliable, abundant alternative to fossil fuels and conventional nuclear energy.

The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world’s biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Glad they are doing fusion 15 min from my house down south and refineries are blowing up 15 min up north. What a place to be alive in
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:01 pm Glad they are doing fusion 15 min from my house down south and refineries are blowing up 15 min up north. What a place to be alive in
think of how many needles and sidewalk :poop: there is to dodge between these two as well!
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:17 am
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:01 pm Glad they are doing fusion 15 min from my house down south and refineries are blowing up 15 min up north. What a place to be alive in
think of how many needles and sidewalk :poop: there is to dodge between these two as well!
None actually. Neither place is SF 20-40 miles away. California is not all parts of downtown SF/LA/SD. The burbs out here are quite nice. :iono: This is a big state... biggest in the nation by population + 3rd biggest by size. SF is the worlds SMALLEST best known city, and even then you're talking only parts of it that are shit. SF is smaller than Austin, Jacksonville and Columbus Ohio for example.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:24 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:17 am

None actually. Neither place is SF 20-40 miles away. California is not all parts of downtown SF/LA/SD. The burbs out here are quite nice. :iono: This is a big state... biggest in the nation by population + 3rd biggest by size. SF is the worlds SMALLEST best known city, and even then you're talking only parts of it that are shit. SF is smaller than Austin, Jacksonville and Columbus Ohio for example.
ok but you were literally just complaining about where you live.