Big Brain Bradley's Nuclear News

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

haleyann wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:22 pm I'm going on a tour of the Hanford B Reactor tomorrow! I'll post some pics later.
:neat:
brain go brrrrrr
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Hanford B Reactor

SCRAM
A series of tubes... copper tubes
Uranium, or “metal” as the workers called it
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/10/f ... earch.html

Got some funding for a US based MSRE

China still prob gonna beat us to it doe.

Help us Canada, you are the west's only hope
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/10/f ... earch.html

Got some funding for a US based MSRE

China still prob gonna beat us to it doe.

Help us Canada, you are the west's only hope
Mexico Drug Cartels :doe:

get them in the energy business.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ignore clickbait title. watch last 5 minutes for an update on policy progress, which is :notbad:

brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... ocean/amp/

It's Really OK If Japan Dumps Radioactive Fukushima Water Into The Ocean
James ConcaContributor
Energy
I write about nuclear, energy and the environment
In a news briefing in Tokyo earlier this week, Japan’s Minister of the Environment, Yoshiaki Harada, told reporters that Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) will have to dump radioactive water from its crippled Fukushima nuclear power plants into the Pacific Ocean.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

good read. I learned something.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 am http://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/ ... -at-Petten

Actual progress?
This means that such reactors could not suffer from a loss of cooling leading to a meltdown.
See....I feel like this is the real answer to sustainable energy. It's so damned clean and efficient, these developments should have been working for decades. Public fear of meltdowns and whatnot probably make nuke a non-starter in most areas :doe:

SAD!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 am http://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/ ... -at-Petten

Actual progress?
This means that such reactors could not suffer from a loss of cooling leading to a meltdown.
See....I feel like this is the real answer to sustainable energy. It's so damned clean and efficient, these developments should have been working for decades. Public fear of meltdowns and whatnot probably make nuke a non-starter in most areas :doe:

SAD!
:dat:

very :fuckyeah: but we are so far behind due of terrible policy and fear mongering. When the .gov doubles down on revision 1 and locks it in as mandate instead of allowing :nuke: energy to evolve, this is what you get. SAD!
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am

SAD!
:dat:

very :fuckyeah: but we are so far behind due of terrible policy and fear mongering. When the .gov doubles down on revision 1 and locks it in as mandate instead of allowing :nuke: energy to evolve, this is what you get. SAD!
:dat: :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Agreed. It's the most viable clean energy.
Yet, it's pretty much being abandoned.

:disappoint:
Because Chernobyl fear mongering.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:12 pm
Yet, it's pretty much being abandoned.

:disappoint:
Chernobyl was more a failure of .gov management than anything else.

Which I guess says a lot about the global capacity for smart people to be allowed to make smart decisions. Politics always gets in the way.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Chernobyl was more a failure of .gov management than anything else.

Which I guess says a lot about the global capacity for smart people to be allowed to make smart decisions. Politics always gets in the way.
Yes, but it was still used as an example for garnering opposition to nuclear power.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

There is also Fukushima... 3 mile island... These are not "one off events" we have proven over time that the smartest most redundant laden systems still fail because of :jesus:

The problem is... once shit fails... things turn into no go zones for eternity.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 pm There is also Fukushima... 3 mile island... These are not "one off events" we have proven over time that the smartest most redundant laden systems still fail because of :jesus:

Build them on Indian reservations.They're no-go zones anyways.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:12 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 pm There is also Fukushima... 3 mile island... These are not "one off events" we have proven over time that the smartest most redundant laden systems still fail because of :jesus:

Build them on Indian reservations.They're no-go zones anyways.
:notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

We area also unable to progress the generations of the technology due to archaic regulation.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Common misconception. Chernobyl, yes. That's as bad as it gets. But they even operated units 1 2 and 3 for many years after the accident. Tmi had insignificant release to the public. Other unit has been online for 30 plus years and is shutting down for economic reasons.
Fukushima was not that bad, only bad on TV because money, gov, and the Japanese had a bad experience before
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Common misconception. Chernobyl, yes. That's as bad as it gets. But they even operated units 1 2 and 3 for many years after the accident. Tmi had insignificant release to the public. Other unit has been online for 30 plus years and is shutting down for economic reasons.
Fukushima was not that bad, only bad on TV because money, gov, and the Japanese had a bad experience before
I am not trying to argue... how on earth was fukushima "not bad" it was saved by the fact that it just nuked the ocean as the wind blew it over nothing, as opposed to europe. The japs were smart enough to build it in a location that allowed for a total meltdown of 2 reactors without much fall out.

Also they are running out of storage space for the radioactive water...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ister-says

:thisisfine:

Fukushima is terribad
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:19 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:49 pm

I am not trying to argue... how on earth was fukushima "not bad" it was saved by the fact that it just nuked the ocean as the wind blew it over nothing, as opposed to europe. The japs were smart enough to build it in a location that allowed for a total meltdown of 2 reactors without much fall out.

Also they are running out of storage space for the radioactive water...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ister-says

:thisisfine:

Fukushima is terribad
No, it's not. Read up to the Forbes article. Fukushima s release was order of magnitudes less than Chernobyl and bomb testing

https://xkcd.com/radiation/
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Didn't they also release a lot of that radioactive water into the ocean and it wasn't super duper bad radioactive water?
I wanna say I read that it wasn't such a horrible thing but I can't remember the source
max225

The solution for pollution is dilution. IMO its way more difficult to measure what happened in fukushima because most of it blew into the ocean. And Japanese are at least as secretive as the Russians, they will never admit fault, hell they don't even admit WWII happened. Not saying that the release may have been smaller, but we may never know...

3 reactors blew at fukUshima, blew the containment buildings to shreds and melted through them creating their own elephant foots... I don't see how it would be a smaller release unless somehow the russian uranium was far more potent.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 pm
3 reactors blew at fukUshima, blew the containment buildings to shreds and melted through them creating their own elephant foots... I don't see how it would be a smaller release unless somehow the russian uranium was far more potent.
:wrong:

The two plants used very different designs and the GE bwr in Japan has many more safety features

The explosion you saw on TV was a hydrogen explosion from H2 that gathered at the roof and found a spark, NOT a steam, reactor explosion like Chernobyl. I'm short....the reactor core was never exposed to raw atmosphere like in Chernobyl.

While the Fukushima reactor did melt, (so did TMI), it likely has not breached the secondary containment vessel. This is a feature Chernobyl did not have. Once through the pressure vessel the coruim could go wherever in Chernobyl. In Japan, it's likely all colleted somewhere between the wet well and the dry well.

Fukushima power plant was also a slow, entirely predicable disaster. There are entire books written on how and why, but a few take home messages:
The tusamni crippled the ability of the gov to respond and knocked out off-site power.
Putting the generators in the basement in a tusamni zone is a fundemental design flaw.
Not interlinking the power systems of the other units is a design flaw (a regulatory one)
And not having station blackout procedure after the 8 hours of instrumentation battery died. This is important because after the 8 hours was up they sat on their hands and basically allowed this to happen.

Just trying to educate here...
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 am Why is no one talking about my moon laser idea?
It's a bad one.
brain go brrrrrr