Smart watches and wearables

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Update time.

So I do this at my own peril, but seriously the 360 sport has been :poop: as a fitness tracker. Like, so bad that I bought us heart rate straps. Which also dont work that great :rolleyes:

And it has given me and my wife FITS with her phone. :rage: The thing is, she has a fucking motorola phone. If there was any android handset I'd expect the motorola watch to work with it'd be the motorola phone.
Thier tech support is :rage:

So we warrantied out her watch for poor performance. Not connecting and stuff, killing its battery.
Guess what, the replacement? Wont even connect. Its been very :rage:

So I've sent that one back, and i expect they will send us another new 360 sport. I will sell the bitch.

Because I just got a Polar m600 for her. Will report back on feels once we use it some more.

FWIW, other than the HR sensor being :poop: mine has been a good smartwatch.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I've been looking into a Garmin Forerunner 35 as a psedu-smart watch and fitness tracker. Give me some more data points than what my iPotatoe gives me from my pocket. :iono: at $167 on amazon prime seems like it might be :notbad:
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

I just invested in an Apple Watch but I don't expect to convert any of you with my thoughts. And my priorities for it are not fitness tracking. I bought it for work. But the fitness tracking I have seen out of it is impressive. And everything else has been 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:Update time.

So I do this at my own peril, but seriously the 360 sport has been :poop: as a fitness tracker. Like, so bad that I bought us heart rate straps. Which also dont work that great :rolleyes:

And it has given me and my wife FITS with her phone. :rage: The thing is, she has a fucking motorola phone. If there was any android handset I'd expect the motorola watch to work with it'd be the motorola phone.

So we warrantied out her watch for poor performance. Not connecting and stuff, killing its battery.

So I've sent that one back, and i expect they will send us another new 360 sport. I will sell the bitch.

Because I just got a Polar m600 for her. Will report back on feels once we use it some more.

My heart rate strap works perfectly. Which one did you get? We've got the polar ones, HT7 IIRC.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 12:02 pm Update time.

I'm not gonna bring out the Apple fanboyism but some good things that Apple has going compared to android or any other tech:

1. Products sync across platforms (i.e. Any Apple Watch syncs with any iPhone)
2. No need to deal with :rage: tech support over the phone, deal with shipping/receiving/waiting on replacements. Just walk into the store and talk to a support bro and get a replacement device the same day.

It's just a realistic benefit that makes me like the brand more. Hopefully your new purchase works! I would be :triggered: if a Motorola Smart watch didn't work with my Motorola phone.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Sno wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 12:36 pm I just invested in an Apple Watch but I don't expect to convert any of you with my thoughts. And my priorities for it are not fitness tracking. I bought it for work. But the fitness tracking I have seen out of it is impressive. And everything else has been 5/7.
If you use iPhones it is an amazing device. I got mine and thought it was a gimmicky novelty until I used it for about a month and the benefits of having everything in one wrist device and not having to pull out the phone every time you get a notification is amazing.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:Update time.

My heart rate strap works perfectly. Which one did you get? We've got the polar ones, HT7 IIRC.
Polar HT7 is what we have.

Thanks for input trudy. The apple watch is nice, I just hate apples product cycles.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Weird, we have 2 of the HT7's and have used them with 4-5 different phones over the years with no issues ever. Works a million times better than any stupid wrist/thumb sensor.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I bought an amaze fit bip.

so far its 5/7. on the 5th day with it and the battery is still at 84%
brain go brrrrrr
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:47 pm I forgot about this thread. I like my smartwatch.
Pics
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Clifs on the bip:

this is where pebble left off.

Pros:
Color e-ink display means always on and excellent battery life. still has a backlight for low light conditions
Amaze fit tools app (2.50) adds tons of functionality including tasker integration, and sleep as android integration, custom notifications for apps, messages, etc.
lots of options
gps seems decent
google fit intregration
good vibration
apps with aftermarket watch faces for customization
HR sensor. With amazfit tools can customize settings for readings, and export to a csv file. Good for getting good data on resting HR
default sleep app tracks automatically and was decent the couple nights i used it.
Set DND schedule in app
Bluetooth does not get shitty about disconnects/reconnects automatically (like when you walk away from phone)
Battery life. Charged up last thursday, been wearing and using since friday, still at 79% as of right now.
Can swap with standard 20mm bands
waterproof to 30m
Price (80 msrp)

Cons: Many of which will be vs android wear / moto360
No microphone so no using voice commands to send text, set times, etc. This never worked that great.
Notifications are read only, lost the ability to reply via watch. Didn't use much in my experience.
Lost google maps on watch. I did use this alot. Haptic notifications and turn by turn directions were great. Although...a lot of times when i needed it most the fucking battery was dead or it was in power save.
The HR sensor is more set up for running or biking, so it's not that great honestly. Not a big deal as i use a HR strap these days anyway. I have only tried the "treadmill running" setting... i may try "cycling" to see if that works better.
the e-ink display is not as pretty as the oled, but this is a worthy tradeoff.
Strap was not to my liking, but easy to swap. Did one of these off amazon in black.

Overall, this ticks most of the boxes i wanted when I was waiting on my pebble time 2. I'm really happy with it so far.

My conclusion is that if you are an android user and don't mind spending a little time customizing settings to your liking this is 100% the best way to get your feet wet in smart watches for cheap. And even for those of us that have been in the game awhile its a FANTASTIC watch.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I bought a Misfit Vapor about three weeks ago.

It's the Toyota to the Fossil Sport (Lexus) same thing, different name.
It's great, simple styling, silicone band, does well when I sweat. Heart rate monitor, bluetooth works flawlessly.

Only downside is no GPS ( :aintcare: ) battery life similiar to a smart phone ( charge daily) and price, it was $199.99 on Amazon. (Fossil Sport is $75 more doe)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

reporting in on the bip after some time using it. Still think it's wonderful value for money.
brain go brrrrrr
Slowbro9001
Gravy Craver
Gravy Craver
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2009 Ram 1500

For when you decide that you have entirely too much money:

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sp ... l-edition/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Slowbro9001 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm For when you decide that you have entirely too much money:

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Sp ... l-edition/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

So what measures the most accurate fap per min?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am So what measures the most accurate fap per min?

I hear the Pixel 2.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am So what measures the most accurate fap per min?

I hear the Pixel 2.
can that be tethered to an arm?

:lolol: dat post stamp.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Not sure what I want to do in this realm. I haven't worn my Apple Watch in weeks, but it is a Series "0" so it lacks a lot. I was mostly using it to track workouts, hydration, and that's about it. Not sure I want to drop the coin on a new one but I would like an activity tracker. The secondary problem is also getting locked into certain ecosystems. I want to pull all my Runtastic data out so I can cancel it at the end of the year but it is nice that that stuff goes to Activity also.

Many musings this morning.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am Not sure what I want to do in this realm. I haven't worn my Apple Watch in weeks, but it is a Series "0" so it lacks a lot. I was mostly using it to track workouts, hydration, and that's about it. Not sure I want to drop the coin on a new one but I would like an activity tracker. The secondary problem is also getting locked into certain ecosystems. I want to pull all my Runtastic data out so I can cancel it at the end of the year but it is nice that that stuff goes to Activity also.

Many musings this morning.
Honestly if you are going to live that apple phone lyfe, the apple watch is the best product for you.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

apple watch is legit, I would have one if it was Android compatible.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I’m actually struggling with my Apple Watch tracking my workouts. I’ve taken up spin lately and the calorie counts are wildly inconsistent. 4/5 workouts, the counts seem very low for a 50 minute cardio work out (280ish) and then workout number 5 will seem accurate, 550+. No changes in how it’s tracking or the workout.

Have been researching it and seems like a common problem. Have yet to figure out how to fix it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Sno wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm I’m actually struggling with my Apple Watch tracking my workouts. I’ve taken up spin lately and the calorie counts are wildly inconsistent. 4/5 workouts, the counts seem very low for a 50 minute cardio work out (280ish) and then workout number 5 will seem accurate, 550+. No changes in how it’s tracking or the workout.

Have been researching it and seems like a common problem. Have yet to figure out how to fix it.
Using the built in Workout app or another app that pushes data to Activity? I had this problem with the latter via Runtastic. I didn't know I could burn 6,000,000 calories on a 3 mile bike ride.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm I’m actually struggling with my Apple Watch tracking my workouts. I’ve taken up spin lately and the calorie counts are wildly inconsistent. 4/5 workouts, the counts seem very low for a 50 minute cardio work out (280ish) and then workout number 5 will seem accurate, 550+. No changes in how it’s tracking or the workout.

stripethree wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Using the built in Workout app or another app that pushes data to Activity? I had this problem with the latter via Runtastic. I didn't know I could burn 6,000,000 calories on a 3 mile bike ride.
I say the following having never personally used an apple watch. The Wife Unit also reports the HR tracking to be hit and miss for HIIT workouts and such.

Optical heart rate tracking is very hard to do, more so when the user is moving alot. I had ONE device that did it well, the microsoft band. All the other Wearables have had shit heart rate tracing for anything besides running.... and through some testing I determined it is because its using the swing motion of your arms to help the optical HR along. For cycling I imagine it is using the motion sensors to do something similar, and being on a stationary bikes 'breaks' that.

So don't hang apple out to dry completely here, the tech is still in its infancy.
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Built in workout app, even the "indoor cycling" option and all.

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I say the following having never personally used an apple watch. The Wife Unit also reports the HR tracking to be hit and miss for HIIT workouts and such.

Optical heart rate tracking is very hard to do, more so when the user is moving alot. I had ONE device that did it well, the microsoft band. All the other Wearables have had shit heart rate tracing for anything besides running.... and through some testing I determined it is because its using the swing motion of your arms to help the optical HR along. For cycling I imagine it is using the motion sensors to do something similar, and being on a stationary bikes 'breaks' that.

So don't hang apple out to dry completely here, the tech is still in its infancy.
This makes absolute sense. I hadn't really thought of it as far as arm swinging motions and HIIT spikes.

Tech is fo sho still fancy. I love what it does for work. And it's still saying I'm reaching workout goals (IE - closing the circles) but for some reason the calorie counts are just whack.