So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I used to get a few of my supplements from Rakuten and the pricing was insane. Stuff that was normally $25-30 we were grabbing on there for $10 a pop.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

After making a play to best buy to get two play 5s, I settled at not :troywax: on more shit. I ended up leaving with the sonos wireless sub. Its by no means loud. I think it works well in the line up for music.

The best buy (magnolia) bro was cool and even took $100 off without me asking. The demo had a sales tag on it in the premium show area for $599. These things rarely go on sale. Normal is $699, its 699 online. I did notice the sale ended in Feb 2019. The magnolia branch is a bit strange with how they operate and can price things, but hey, I saved $100 when I was prepared to pay full price. Got it home and fumbled getting it to connect. Then, it was so quiet I hardly noticed it, compared to the demo unit. Played with settings and cranked it up to ~80%. That demo must have been MAXED out. After turning it up it brought the bass is needed. As a whole system, its pretty meh for the price point. I bought in for the wireless and simplicity. The sonos system DOES sound good and is very clear but it just lacks the mid range I like. They arent a replacement for a good tower setup.

TL:DR: now have playbar for front/center. 2 play1s and a sub in corner. Sub had to be turned up in the app to be worth a shit, but overall not bad.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:58 am After making a play to best buy to get two play 5s, I settled at not :troywax: on more shit. I ended up leaving with the sonos wireless sub. Its by no means loud. I think it works well in the line up for music.

The best buy (magnolia) bro was cool and even took $100 off without me asking. The demo had a sales tag on it in the premium show area for $599. These things rarely go on sale. Normal is $699, its 699 online. I did notice the sale ended in Feb 2019. The magnolia branch is a bit strange with how they operate and can price things, but hey, I saved $100 when I was prepared to pay full price. Got it home and fumbled getting it to connect. Then, it was so quiet I hardly noticed it, compared to the demo unit. Played with settings and cranked it up to ~80%. That demo must have been MAXED out. After turning it up it brought the bass is needed. As a whole system, its pretty meh for the price point. I bought in for the wireless and simplicity. The sonos system DOES sound good and is very clear but it just lacks the mid range I like. They arent a replacement for a good tower setup.

TL:DR: now have playbar for front/center. 2 play1s and a sub in corner. Sub had to be turned up in the app to be worth a shit, but overall not bad.
TBH, I was not impressed with the Play Sub or soundbar, but I am spoiled by having higher end components for HT and was able to wire them in the walls.

I think the Play 1, 3 and 5's are awesome though for music around the house that is easy to control and broadcast to. They really shine when you put them into stereo pairs. With all the phone app integration to play directly to Sonos everything has gotten pretty nice.

I usually only listen to one SXM streaming station when I am in the garage, so it's also convenient to just tell google home to "turn on the garage speakers" and when I get out there it's already playing for me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sonos must be monitoring me, I just got an email about this.... I think they may have jumped the shark with this one..

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/news/-pubaafe ... d=75003258
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:42 pm Sonos must be monitoring me, I just got an email about this.... I think they may have jumped the shark with this one..

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/news/-pubaafe ... d=75003258
What happened?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Bought a harness for Ava and a few sets of guitar strings.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Bought a chamber vac sealer. Should be here on Wed.

VacMaster VP215
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E ... prod_image

Next level vac sealing. Will seal liquids and works with bags and jars too.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:06 am Bought a chamber vac sealer. Should be here on Wed.

VacMaster VP215
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E ... prod_image

Next level vac sealing. Will seal liquids and works with bags and jars too.
Oh nice. Thats the real good one. I still use the poverty one, which is terrible for liquids.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Bought two of the Ikea Sonos speakers on a whim yesterday. The sound is much better than the WiFi speakers we were using before, and the price is absolutely right.

Only problem is you can't group them with other google home speaker groups. We have the entire house in different speaker groups and use that feature all the time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm Also posted in the OT thread....

Bought a whole Prime Ribeye last night at Costco and prepped it for dry aging.

Didn't get a good shot of it in the bag, but I got it in there and it's in the fridge. In 30-35 days this should be :drool:
hows this going?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 am Bought two of the Ikea Sonos speakers on a whim yesterday. The sound is much better than the WiFi speakers we were using before, and the price is absolutely right.

Only problem is you can't group them with other google home speaker groups. We have the entire house in different speaker groups and use that feature all the time.
Interesting. Why did you go with the ikea version over the standard sonos play 1?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm Also posted in the OT thread....

Bought a whole Prime Ribeye last night at Costco and prepped it for dry aging.

Didn't get a good shot of it in the bag, but I got it in there and it's in the fridge. In 30-35 days this should be :drool:
hows this going?
So far, so good. Will post a pic later. The color is changing and it feels firmer from what I can see.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:17 am Bought two of the Ikea Sonos speakers on a whim yesterday. The sound is much better than the WiFi speakers we were using before, and the price is absolutely right.

Interesting. Why did you go with the ikea version over the standard sonos play 1?
:scrooge: , design, and mostly impulse.

The Ikea version is $50 less than a play 1 ($149 vs $99) with the same functionality. I'm sure the sound isn't as good, but it sounds WAY better than the speakers we replaced, so we're happy.

The bookshelf speaker is just a rectangle box, and on its side it blends in with books on our shelving unit in the living room really well.

They also make a rail mount for the kitchen rails that I just installed a bunch of. It's mounted underneath a cabinet so it blends really well. Freed up a ton of counter space in doing so.

I'll probably buy a few more to place around the house.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:51 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 am

The Ikea version is $50 less than a play 1 ($149 vs $99) with the same functionality. I'm sure the sound isn't as good, but it sounds WAY better than the speakers we replaced, so we're happy.

The bookshelf speaker is just a rectangle box, and on its side it blends in with books on our shelving unit in the living room really well.

They also make a rail mount for the kitchen rails that I just installed a bunch of. It's mounted underneath a cabinet so it blends really well. Freed up a ton of counter space in doing so.

right on, I figured they were the same pricing. I think I remember clicking the email notice form ikea. Do they play with the sonos app?

The mount def looks like a great design for saving space. :like:

for reference, Costco slings a pair of play1s for $269.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:51 am

right on, I figured they were the same pricing. I think I remember clicking the email notice form ikea. Do they play with the sonos app?

Yep, they play through the Sonos app...they seem to act exactly like other Sonos speakers, but we really dig the design.

Good to know about Costco. That's a decent discount, but can save $70 from that by buying two Ikea ones. :scrooge:

It's an interesting move from Sonos. The company must be struggling and needs to expand into the low end of the market. Working with Ikea is an interesting way to expand possibly without tainting the brand.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

got my "open box" sanus stands in last night. Pretty well built and easy to put together.

5/7 product and came with every mount plate you could need for different model speakers.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

hows this going?
So far, so good. Will post a pic later. The color is changing and it feels firmer from what I can see.
White patch is where I had the date label, apparently it was creating a blockage for the bag to adhere to the meat, so I removed it. Should be NBD over the next couple weeks.

No odd/off smells... actually, just about no smell at all, which is nice.

As you can see, the meat has shrunken some and there are more air gaps in the bag, but that is expected. I think I'm going to let this go until Friday Sept. 6th. That will be 43 days and I want a Friday steak.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 am got my "open box" sanus stands in last night. Pretty well built and easy to put together.

5/7 product and came with every mount plate you could need for different model speakers.
Yeah, I like mine a lot and for the money they were a good deal.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:03 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 am

White patch is where I had the date label, apparently it was creating a blockage for the bag to adhere to the meat, so I removed it. Should be NBD over the next couple weeks.

No odd/off smells... actually, just about no smell at all, which is nice.

As you can see, the meat has shrunken some and there are more air gaps in the bag, but that is expected. I think I'm going to let this go until Friday Sept. 6th. That will be 43 days and I want a Friday steak.
crazy. really interested in how much waste is produced from this method.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

first gripe, I cant autotune the Sonos "trusound" without some fucking apple product. And of course my old ass ipad2 is too old for the current version of the Sonos app and there is no easy was to get a backdated version.... I pulled all my old apple shit out of the closet to try and make it all work too. Im reminded why I stopped using apple shit in the first place.

So, hopefully I can get my sister over to assist with the tuning of Sonos, but so far its growing on me.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Just got a full set of Mizuno golf clubs, and another Vokey wedge. Had a full custom fitting session at a local club and ordered the custom set. Should be here next week.

I'm balls deep in golfing rn.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:05 pm Just got a full set of Mizuno golf clubs, and another Vokey wedge. Had a full custom fitting session at a local club and ordered the custom set. Should be here next week.

:notbad:

how much did that set you back? Im on the fence of replacing my very old hand me down clubs.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:13 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:05 pm Just got a full set of Mizuno golf clubs, and another Vokey wedge. Had a full custom fitting session at a local club and ordered the custom set. Should be here next week.

:notbad:

how much did that set you back? Im on the fence of replacing my very old hand me down clubs.
Mizunos are 4-PW and it was 900. I went into the fitting with 3 sets on my mind, Taylormade P790s, Ping I500s and the Mizunos. Mizunos were the cheapest by about 400. Fitter was telling me that Mizuno makes the best irons but don't spend money paying tour players to use them so they get overlooked.

The Vokey wedges are Titleist and they are 150 a piece. So all in so far is 1200. I'm probably going to buy another wedge and a driver to round it out. So 1800 is my budget.

My old clubs still worked well for me but they are 25 years old. It was time to upgrade. Marketing tried to convince you that you need the newer technology every year but truth is probably every set after 2005 are going to be good.

If you are going to keep that set I suggest going to a fitter and checking your lie angles and shafts. That makes as much if not more of a difference than the club heads.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:37 pm What size cast iron skillets are you guys using? Is 15” overkill? Amazon has the 15” Lodge $20 off for $40 total..
15" is big...we have a 12 and a 10 and those two do everything we need. Not only would the 15" be heavy, but it's likely much bigger than the burners on your stove, which will make cooking with it a bit of a pain.
dis.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am

Yep, they play through the Sonos app...they seem to act exactly like other Sonos speakers, but we really dig the design.

Good to know about Costco. That's a decent discount, but can save $70 from that by buying two Ikea ones. :scrooge:

It's an interesting move from Sonos. The company must be struggling and needs to expand into the low end of the market. Working with Ikea is an interesting way to expand possibly without tainting the brand.
:dat:

Sonos at one time owned about 95% of this market and now has around 80%. That said, the market is growing. I'm sure they're doing fine, but they were the only known game in town and now there's quite a bit of competition. We actually have our own product we manufacture called Autonomic which competes in that space but is only sold through the custom integrator market. Paersonally I think that Yamaha MusicCast is dope and would likely go in that direction. Sonos is definitely nice though, and it's nice to see some lower cost options as they lose market share. Margin on some of their stuff must be wild, like 80+ points.