So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: C5

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Can't wait to get this thing hooked up in my booth. So much nostalgia.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

So, my mid-2012 13” MBP has been getting slower and slower lately. Could barely handle booting up and being fully operational in less than 5 minutes, let alone run Lightroom and edit photos.

Physically it’s perfectly fine. Just was running slow.

Bought a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD and doubled the RAM from 8 gigs to 16.

$260 investment that should get me a couple more years out of it before I have to replace it now. I tested the reboot time this morning and it’s under 20 seconds. :fuckyeah:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Zillon wrote:
So, my mid-2012 13” MBP has been getting slower and slower lately. Could barely handle booting up and being fully operational in less than 5 minutes, let alone run Lightroom and edit photos.

$260 investment that should get me a couple more years out of it before I have to replace it now. I tested the reboot time this morning and it’s under 20 seconds. :fuckyeah:
Oh, wow...I have a late 2011 that's having the same issues. I've debated this, but have hesitated. Perhaps I should make the move.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Detroit wrote:
Zillon wrote:

Oh, wow...I have a late 2011 that's having the same issues. I've debated this, but have hesitated. Perhaps I should make the move.
Mine is a mid-2009 iirc. It’ll be getting this treatment at some point. Try to get another 5 years out of it.
:sawce:

Detroit

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Mine is a mid-2009 iirc. It’ll be getting this treatment at some point. Try to get another 5 years out of it.
Biggest sticking point for me is I have it setup to dual boot OSX and Windows 7. I really don't want to buy the operating systems again and don't own them anymore.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Detroit wrote:
SAWCE wrote:

Biggest sticking point for me is I have it setup to dual boot OSX and Windows 7. I really don't want to buy the operating systems again and don't own them anymore.
I’m far from a tech guy, but could you load them to an external hard drive and then reboot off of that onto the SSD you put in your MacBook?
:sawce:

Detroit

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:57 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Detroit wrote:

I’m far from a tech guy, but could you load them to an external hard drive and then reboot off of that onto the SSD you put in your MacBook?
That's the thought, but I don't know how to do that. I can barely use an iPhone.

I used to be super techy and just lost interest over the years. Now I know nothing.
Desertbreh wrote:

Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: CookieMonster

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Zillon wrote:

I did the RAM upgrade to my MBP and it made a nice difference. I should SSD, but find that I have been grabbing my iPad mini lately for random internet surfing...

Detroit

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:09 pm

I bought the wife a $280 Lenovo Chromebook that does everything she or I could want. She loves it. That's the same price as "fixing" my bigger and heavier MBP. I should probably just get another Chromebook, or just use hers :scrooge:
Desertbreh wrote:

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:32 pm

For years I thought I was maxed out on RAM - Apple had said years ago that 8 gigs was the physical max for this computer.

Then I found out the other day that it'll handle 16 with the current OS. :troywax: mode activated.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

CaleDeRoo
Drives: C5

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:09 pm
I bought the wife a $280 Lenovo Chromebook that does everything she or I could want. She loves it. That's the same price as "fixing" my bigger and heavier MBP. I should probably just get another Chromebook, or just use hers :scrooge:
I've been using a $200 HP Chromebook for 3 years exclusively. It's really all I need.

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm

This 'puter talk reminds me that I recently bought a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 13" 2 in 1. Watched a short vid on the 'Tubes on how to remove the battery and it was easy to do. :csb:

The one :rage: part of this little tale is that I purposely wanted an OEM Dell battery which I found on a site called Laptop Battery Factory at about half the price of what was on the Dell site. I confirmed with the online chat moran that this was indeed an OEM Dell battery and she assured me that it was. Guess what I found when it delivered? Yep, some no-name generic. I got on their chat and :rage: for a while and she apologized and said they'll send me a return address label so I could send the wrong one back and meanwhile they'll send out the correct one. 3 days later I still didn't get the return label but I did get an email saying the replacement battery shipped and reminding me that if I don't send the original one back I'd be charged for both. :triggered: Hopped back on the the chat and expressed my frustration at their inability to send a simple emailed return label. She said she'd talk to her manager again blah blah blah. This was pretty late in the evening so I went to bed. Next morning I got an email saying I could keep the original battery gratis. How stupid is it that they'd rather give me the damn thing than email me a simple return label which they originally said they would. :fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: nothing

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 am

wap wrote:
This 'puter talk reminds me that I recently bought a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 13" 2 in 1. Watched a short vid on the 'Tubes on how to remove the battery and it was easy to do. :csb:

The one :rage: part of this little tale is that I purposely wanted an OEM Dell battery which I found on a site called Laptop Battery Factory at about half the price of what was on the Dell site. I confirmed with the online chat moran that this was indeed an OEM Dell battery and she assured me that it was. Guess what I found when it delivered? Yep, some no-name generic. I got on their chat and :rage: for a while and she apologized and said they'll send me a return address label so I could send the wrong one back and meanwhile they'll send out the correct one. 3 days later I still didn't get the return label but I did get an email saying the replacement battery shipped and reminding me that if I don't send the original one back I'd be charged for both. :triggered: Hopped back on the the chat and expressed my frustration at their inability to send a simple emailed return label. She said she'd talk to her manager again blah blah blah. This was pretty late in the evening so I went to bed. Next morning I got an email saying I could keep the original battery gratis. How stupid is it that they'd rather give me the damn thing than email me a simple return label which they originally said they would. :fullretard:
Probably a tiny company that didn't want a flaming review added to their site.

Or, they weren't really setup for returns and decided to just not deal with it. I had a similar situation of some stuff I bought from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for bulk pack (20 pcs) of some recessed lighting cans. The dude could barely speak/type English and was trying to be a hard ass, so I looked up his address from the shipping label. It ended up being a house in Beverly Hills (not a nice house, a rundown POS) with a jacked up ricer Mercedes SL convertible in the driveway from the Google Street view. I told him I was going to LA the next week and would bring them and wanted my money and that I wasn't going to leave his brick porch or might sit on his black MB until he showed up. Within 20 minutes I had a shipment notification for the right parts and an email telling me to keep the others.
I'm on my last bag of peas.

wap

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
wap wrote:

Or, they weren't really setup for returns and decided to just not deal with it. I had a similar situation of some stuff I bought from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for bulk pack (20 pcs) of some recessed lighting cans. The dude could barely speak/type English and was trying to be a hard ass, so I looked up his address from the shipping label. It ended up being a house in Beverly Hills (not a nice house, a rundown POS) with a jacked up ricer Mercedes SL convertible in the driveway from the Google Street view. I told him I was going to LA the next week and would bring them and wanted my money and that I wasn't going to leave his brick porch or might sit on his black MB until he showed up. Within 20 minutes I had a shipment notification for the right parts and an email telling me to keep the others.
:lolol: :impressive:

You're probably right. I got the small company feeling, too.

BTW, what's your thought on using a generic no-name replacement battery in my laptop? Should I expect any issues? Since I'm keeping it I'd like to at least know it would be safe to use some day when the new one shits the bed.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:42 pm

wap wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

BTW, what's your thought on using a generic no-name replacement battery in my laptop? Should I expect any issues? Since I'm keeping it I'd like to at least know it would be safe to use some day when the new one shits the bed.
Honestly, it's probably built in the same factory as the original and just lacks the sticker that says Dell. I would just try to pay attention to see if it runs hotter. If so, I would likely try to replace it.

wap

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:53 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
wap wrote:

Honestly, it's probably built in the same factory as the original and just lacks the sticker that says Dell. I would just try to pay attention to see if it runs hotter. If so, I would likely try to replace it.
:word:
Thanks. I have the OEM one in now and it's functioning fine. If anything, the fan seems to run less frequently than it did with the original battery. If/when I have to switch to the generic, I'll keep an eye on how often the fan runs and how hot it feels underneath.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
wap wrote:

What are your thoughts on Spyderco?

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 am

KYGTIGuy wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

I like them. I have about 10 or 12 of them and they are great. I tend to only buy the ones made in Golden, Colorado, but the ones out of the Taichung factory in Taiwan get good reviews and I have a couple from there that aren't bad. I just like the label on the ones from Colorado:

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sun May 12, 2019 12:34 am

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
KYGTIGuy wrote:

I like them. I have about 10 or 12 of them and they are great. I tend to only buy the ones made in Golden, Colorado, but the ones out of the Taichung factory in Taiwan get good reviews and I have a couple from there that aren't bad. I just like the label on the ones from Colorado:

How can easily tell? I'm considering the para 2 or delica 4. I don't see the stamp on blade hq.

Or is that only for the high dollar ones?

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 am

I know you're down on Benchmade right now but I really want a Bailout.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 am

KYGTIGuy wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

How can easily tell? I'm considering the para 2 or delica 4. I don't see the stamp on blade hq.

Para 2 and 3 are USA made.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/usa-made

I have a Para 2 in Blurple and it's great.

Would Bugput before Bailout.

rockchops
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 am

KYGTIGuy wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

delica is always best.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 am
KYGTIGuy wrote:

Para 2 and 3 are USA made.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/usa-made

I have a Para 2 in Blurple and it's great.

Would Bugput before Bailout.
Do you sharpen your blades yourself? What do you use?

I have a lansky system but it doesn't really work for me. I bought a few stones on Amazon yesterday to try them out.

This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.

Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:
This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.

Years ago on a whim I got a Gerber pocketknife for like, $70 in the check out line at Lowe's. They had a nice display case, and I was like... Fuck, Treat y0self mother fucker!"
So I did. And I used the living shit out of that knife more than I could of imagined. I never even needed one before that, and just bought it because it looked cool (I think I was about 20 years old). Crazy how I went from never really needing one to whipping it out 2-3 times a day for opening or cutting stuff.

Apex
Drives: CookieMonster

Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:

Years ago on a whim I got a Gerber pocketknife for like, $70 in the check out line at Lowe's. They had a nice display case, and I was like... Fuck, Treat y0self mother fucker!"
So I did. And I used the living shit out of that knife more than I could of imagined. I never even needed one before that, and just bought it because it looked cool (I think I was about 20 years old). Crazy how I went from never really needing one to whipping it out 2-3 times a day for opening or cutting stuff.
:dat:

My BugOut gets used quite a bit. It comes in handy quite often.

• Information