So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33188
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm
wap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm


I have something very similar to this, which mounts in the CD slot. CD's still play while this in in it, too. Pretty perfect line of sight in the :turboyaris:

Image
Looks pretty :notbad: but I am a bit concerned with a CD mount because I'm kind of a brute with jamming the phone in and out of the holder.....
I've had no issues in the 3-4 years that I've had mine. :iono: If you don't clamp those 2 side holders down too tightly and remove the phone with one hand while grasping the holder with the other hand, it comes out fine. Can't be any more delicate than a vent mount, can it? You can damage a vent but you really can't damage a slot. ( :hue: )
Last edited by wap on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33188
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm


Looks pretty :notbad: but I am a bit concerned with a CD mount because I'm kind of a brute with jamming the phone in and out of the holder.....
Your GTI has 155K miles on it. What could happen that would devalue it further?
Well, there's :dat: , too; :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm


Looks pretty :notbad: but I am a bit concerned with a CD mount because I'm kind of a brute with jamming the phone in and out of the holder.....
Your GTI has 155K miles on it. What could happen that would devalue it further?
Troof...but I'm more concerned about devaluing (i.e: breaking) the holder...... So I guess the question is, what is the more solid mounting interface....the vent or the cd slot?
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm


Looks pretty :notbad: but I am a bit concerned with a CD mount because I'm kind of a brute with jamming the phone in and out of the holder.....
I've had no issues in the 3-4 years that I've had mine. :iono: If you don't clamp those 2 side holders down too tightly and remove the phone with one hand while grasping the holder with the other hand, it comes out fine. Can't be any more delicate than a vent mount, can it? You can damage a vent but you really can't damage a slot. ( :hue: )
Good point, point is good......
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33188
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm


Your GTI has 155K miles on it. What could happen that would devalue it further?
Troof...but I'm more concerned about devaluing (i.e: breaking) the holder...... So I guess the question is, what is the more solid mounting interface....the vent or the cd slot?
I'd say slot. Those vents are pretty flimsy feeling imo.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8673
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm


Your GTI has 155K miles on it. What could happen that would devalue it further?
Troof...but I'm more concerned about devaluing (i.e: breaking) the holder...... So I guess the question is, what is the more solid mounting interface....the vent or the cd slot?
CD slot I've used that kind its sturdy
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12146
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 am
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm
Looking to replace my phone holder..... Right now I have a vent mount from Best Buy...... its Okay but I m looking for suggestions....no windshield suction cups please.....
I d the vent magnet setup, I quite like it as we have one in each car and both have the magnets in our iTrudes.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGe ... pons&psc=1

User avatar
D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12146
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 am
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm
D Griff wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 am
I bought this belt the other day in black: https://smile.amazon.com/Hanks-Everyday ... pons&psc=1

I've had the brown one for a year or two now and it's holding up great with a polish every couple of months. Now I have a black one too, hopefully I don't need to buy another belt for 20+ years.
Man I have a hard time shelling out $55+ for a belt...... :scrooge: then again I go through $10-$20 specimens yearly..... because :fatty: Is this one THAT much better than conventionally available versions?
I would say yes, should last at least 20 years. I throw some polish on it a couple of times annually and it's back to new looking, I've had the brown one for probably two years now.

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2083
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

D Griff wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm
Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm
Looking to replace my phone holder..... Right now I have a vent mount from Best Buy...... its Okay but I m looking for suggestions....no windshield suction cups please.....
I d the vent magnet setup, I quite like it as we have one in each car and both have the magnets in our iTrudes.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGe ... pons&psc=1
Intriguing.... My phone is a brick (Galaxy S5 with Extended battery) ... think the magnets are strong enough?
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12146
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 am
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Irish wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm
D Griff wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm


I d the vent magnet setup, I quite like it as we have one in each car and both have the magnets in our iTrudes.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGe ... pons&psc=1
Intriguing.... My phone is a brick (Galaxy S5 with Extended battery) ... think the magnets are strong enough?
Depends how aggressive you drive really... and if you're willing to put it on the outside versus in your case. I't spretty strong if just stuck on the back (the metal plate).

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2873
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Irish wrote:Looking to replace my phone holder..... Right now I have a vent mount from Best Buy...... its Okay but I m looking for suggestions....no windshield suction cups please.....
Proclip stuff is good. More expensive than some of the stuff on Amazon but they're solid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33547
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Gberg2119 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 pm
Irish wrote:Looking to replace my phone holder..... Right now I have a vent mount from Best Buy...... its Okay but I m looking for suggestions....no windshield suction cups please.....
Proclip stuff is good. More expensive than some of the stuff on Amazon but they're solid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I just use the procupholder

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2873
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 pm
Proclip stuff is good. More expensive than some of the stuff on Amazon but they're solid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I just use the procupholder
Image

The little slider cover for the cupholder in the gorf fits my phone perfectly. I usually just put it there or on the front cubby with the USB cable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8673
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Alright Fellas:

Patio Furniture! Anybody got a solid online source? Throwing all of our shit out and starting off with a simple high top and bar stools replacement. Any more than four seats is a waste of time at our house, ain't having no dinner parties like Well Well Well My Michelle. Patio Furniture is basically a racket in terms of insane prices, and wondering if anybody has thrown down for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14679
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am

Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm
Alright Fellas:

Patio Furniture! Anybody got a solid online source? Throwing all of our shit out and starting off with a simple high top and bar stools replacement. Any more than four seats is a waste of time at our house, ain't having no dinner parties like Well Well Well My Michelle. Patio Furniture is basically a racket in terms of insane prices, and wondering if anybody has thrown down for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
Ikea has some nice stuff at prices that do not feel like rape
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8673
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am
Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm
Alright Fellas:

Patio Furniture! Anybody got a solid online source? Throwing all of our shit out and starting off with a simple high top and bar stools replacement. Any more than four seats is a waste of time at our house, ain't having no dinner parties like Well Well Well My Michelle. Patio Furniture is basically a racket in terms of insane prices, and wondering if anybody has thrown down for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
Ikea has some nice stuff at prices that do not feel like rape
Will check.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5327
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Drives: Mazda6

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Wax, Your beef with Benchmade have anything to do with that dust up where they were helping LEO destroy guns?

Or a quality issue?

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8673
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Wax, Your beef with Benchmade have anything to do with that dust up where they were helping LEO destroy guns?

Or a quality issue?
The former.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5327
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Drives: Mazda6

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Wax, Your beef with Benchmade have anything to do with that dust up where they were helping LEO destroy guns?

Or a quality issue?
The former.
They clearly didn't think that one through.

User avatar
CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6725
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 pm
Drives: nothing
Location: Somewhere else

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:35 am

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm


The former.
They clearly didn't think that one through.
Yeah, and they are feeling it now. Two different knife shops I frequently buy from said they aren't ordering more Benchmade for now, and they can even sell what they have.

Way to go for a "small" company. :lol:
I'm on my last bag of peas.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33547
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Opinel knives look awesome and are dirt fucking cheap. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbon-Bl ... way&sr=8-3

Kind of cool that you can carve them and shape them to whatever you want, and then stain them to any color. A #9 is $16...

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33547
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm
Alright Fellas:

Patio Furniture! Anybody got a solid online source? Throwing all of our shit out and starting off with a simple high top and bar stools replacement. Any more than four seats is a waste of time at our house, ain't having no dinner parties like Well Well Well My Michelle. Patio Furniture is basically a racket in terms of insane prices, and wondering if anybody has thrown down for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
We got a simple bistro set from Lowes. It's been good so far and was cheap, but then again my backyard ain't exactly a desert paradise. Interested to see what you come up with.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32124
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm
Alright Fellas:

Patio Furniture! Anybody got a solid online source? Throwing all of our shit out and starting off with a simple high top and bar stools replacement. Any more than four seats is a waste of time at our house, ain't having no dinner parties like Well Well Well My Michelle. Patio Furniture is basically a racket in terms of insane prices, and wondering if anybody has thrown down for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
Bought ours from Overstock.com. Best deals of what is most certainly a racket. Ours came broken (fixable, but broken), and missing two chairs. Michele called and threw a fit. They offered to refund the entire amount if we sent the broken stuff back...to which she went :ayfkm: because of the size, so they acquiesced and dropped the return requirement.

The missing chairs randomly showed up a week later...so we got a 4 piece (loveseat, two chairs, and table) outdoor set for free.

We had Ikea stuff at our last house that was really nice. Recommended too.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14679
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am

I'm beginning to buy some camping gear

:popcorn:
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32124
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:25 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am
I'm beginning to buy some camping gear

:popcorn:
:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Apex and 3 guests