So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:34 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm I paid $800 for my phone, but I bought the "force" version which has a more durable screen that Motorola warranties against cracking and shattering for 3 years. With what I do for work I wanted the more durable phone. Sadly the general public didn't really care so they no longer make this stronger model. I'd pay $800 again for a newer model with the same screen guarantee.
Has the screen broken yet?

I was a Motorola user my whole life until the Pixel 3a I got when it came out. I always liked their phones and wanted to see them succeed. Unfortunately, my last phone (X4 IIRC) was a POS.
No, and I couldn't tell you how many times it's landed on the shop floor, driveway etc. I obviously try to avoid these situations but they do happen, and I hate having a case on my cellphone. I had the Moto X1 and X2, and then the Moto Z and now Moto Z2.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm What are you doing to destroy it in 2 years, using it as a vibrating butt plug?
Who said anything about destroying?

I keep my shit fresh so I can trade it in. The biggest reason I get a new phone every two years is I ask more out of it.
:dat:

Just like my cars that I "waste money" detailing and paying for professional coatings... In the end everyone bitches about getting fucked on trades, but I get top dollar since my cars look better on the day I trade them in than the new ones on the lot.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote:I have absolutely no issue spending $1000 on a phone if it lasts me 2 years. It's literally the object I touch most and one of the most critical to my lifestyle.

$1,000 works out to $1.37 a day. Don't care.

I use my phone more than any other electronic device in my life. I’ll spend what I need to to get a phone that I don’t get frustrated with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Guess I'm just not a cell phone power user, but I use my phone quite frequently, and there's nothing my $300 Pixel 3a doesn't do that I wish it did. I never get frustrated with it, it always works fine. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm Guess I'm just not a cell phone power user, but I use my phone quite frequently, and there's nothing my $300 Pixel 3a doesn't do that I wish it did. I never get frustrated with it, it always works fine. :iono:
I like my 4 XL just fine, but I wish it had a better battery. My work email drains it FAST, same with my iPhone X S Max that now just lives in the 911 as a iPod/streaming device.

Next time I would gladly go to a smaller screen but thicker form factor with a much bigger battery.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am My lg v20 still works fine. It was $150 on ebay a few years ago. $1000 phones are stupid.
My $150 unlocked Moto G6 has been pretty flawless for me for the year I've owned it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:59 am I have absolutely no issue spending $1000 on a phone if it lasts me 2 years. It's literally the object I touch most and one of the most critical to my lifestyle.

$1,000 works out to $1.37 a day. Don't care.
:notsure:
:alpo: :doe: ?
Last edited by wap on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Has the screen broken yet?

I was a Motorola user my whole life until the Pixel 3a I got when it came out. I always liked their phones and wanted to see them succeed. Unfortunately, my last phone (X4 IIRC) was a POS.
No, and I couldn't tell you how many times it's landed on the shop floor, driveway etc. I obviously try to avoid these situations but they do happen, and I hate having a case on my cellphone. I had the Moto X1 and X2, and then the Moto Z and now Moto Z2.
This is my second Moto phone and while I do have them in cases I don't use screen covers and I've yet to have one scratch on the glass, let alone a crack.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:26 am I need new phone. Do we have a phone thread?
Wife needs a new phone too. Rumor is new iphones coming out any day now. Hoping for a $400 iphone 9 type model which has been all but confirmed.

TBD if/when they release them.
Most new iPhones get announced around June and come out in September.

The iPhone 11 is not a bad :dill: for the features and price point. Alternatively, an XR wouldn't be bad either.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:11 pm Also... I don't have a computer or a tablet at home, so phone does all. Most of my work day and ALL of my home stuff.
This is honestly the best justifier for a true flagship phone. Bigger size for it to be capable of doing tablet/computer style work and it becomes the Swiss army knife of tech. Does everything well.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I am pretty proud of myself. Prioritized a lot of things since :baby: was born. one of those is not getting the newest iPhone every year just because. I am still on my XS. Next phone I'll probably get the Max/XL version just for the bigger battery.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well, I ended my embargo against Benchmade last week.

Mini Bugouts arrived.

With the original Bugout on top:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Also... I don't have a computer or a tablet at home, so phone does all. Most of my work day and ALL of my home stuff.
How is that even possible?
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

razr390 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Wife needs a new phone too. Rumor is new iphones coming out any day now. Hoping for a $400 iphone 9 type model which has been all but confirmed.

TBD if/when they release them.
Most new iPhones get announced around June and come out in September.

The iPhone 11 is not a bad :dill: for the features and price point. Alternatively, an XR wouldn't be bad either.
I had the XR for a year and went back to a droid. :ohwell:
The touch screen on the XR is telepathic though. The best touch screen ive ever experienced on a phone.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:26 pm
[user not found] wrote:Also... I don't have a computer or a tablet at home, so phone does all. Most of my work day and ALL of my home stuff.
I've been leaning on mine more and more lately for non work stuff.

It's not too bad, unless you need to write up some docs or make a spreadsheet. That's about the only time I grab my notebook. My laser printer has wireless printing, so if I need to make a hard copy of an email or something it works.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

troyguitar wrote:
Easy. I will go days without touching my MacBook when I’m home. Same for my tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar

Dafuq do you get anything done quickly without a real keyboard?
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:56 pm Dafuq do you get anything done quickly without a real keyboard?
Swipe text?

I dunno? What do I need to get done?
Swipe text is amazing.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:56 pm Dafuq do you get anything done quickly without a real keyboard?
Swipe text?

I dunno? What do I need to get done?
I would show/type some examples but it would take too long to do on my phone.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 pm I would show/type some examples but it would take too long to do on my phone.
:dafuq: :sass: :idbu:
I dunno, man. I'm absolutely with :mahtroy: on this one. I am lightning on a keyboard. Way too many mistakes on a phone. It's not like I'm :okboomer: either.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote:FWIW I ordered the Samsung S20 +

I was waiting on the OnePlus announcement today to give it an opportunity to blow me away. Blow me away it did not..
Thinking about going to Samsung after my 3XL. Pixel 4 was very :flaccid: so who knows what the 5 will be and the new one UI from Samsung is supposedly :notbad:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:26 pm How is that even possible?
I haven't had a personal computer in years :dunno:

I have my work laptop but that's exclusively for work stuff
No need for a faptop when you make your own pr0ns.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:59 pm I dunno, man. I'm absolutely with :mahtroy: on this one. I am lightning on a keyboard. Way too many mistakes on a phone. It's not like I'm :okboomer: either.
Keyboard is absolutely better but besides here (and no offense but I don't care about typos here) what do I need one for? That's my point.
You said all personal use and most work use. I can't imagine doing that without ctrl-c and alt-tab page up/down and 2 monitors and 2 fucking hands with dozens of keys and key combinations available - and the phone available to use for phone stuff. Hell normally on my desk I have 2 monitors hooked to the desktop plus my phone plus a calculator plus my laptop.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm I haven't had a personal computer in years :dunno:

I have my work laptop but that's exclusively for work stuff
No need for a faptop when you make your own pr0ns.
How do you even edit the photos and videos on a phone?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’ve been debating updating my iTrudy 7 to something newer, like an XR maybe?
I could get a nice Honda wing sticker if I got a XR. :notbad: