So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am

Eh, you certainly don't show any effort on here. Seems like your hard life is talking on the phone a lot and generally getting everything you have ever wanted with help from great genes and great families. I envy your social skills more than anything, I would trade everything I own and know for your social skills. I was seriously asking about exercise :doe: - getting out of bed early is indeed hard but it does not burn calories.
Ah I misread your question - I took it as when do I have time to do it.

I row, it's the one thing I truly enjoy doing. Bought a cheap 30 year old rower on Craigslist. Was pretty nasty but got it all cleaned up and it works like new.
Rowing is rough. I’ve only done it a few times cause I hate it so much. Jacks your heart rate up quick though since you use your upper and lower body.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am

Eh, you certainly don't show any effort on here. Seems like your hard life is talking on the phone a lot and generally getting everything you have ever wanted with help from great genes and great families. I envy your social skills more than anything, I would trade everything I own and know for your social skills. I was seriously asking about exercise :doe: - getting out of bed early is indeed hard but it does not burn calories.
Ah I misread your question - I took it as when do I have time to do it.

I row, it's the one thing I truly enjoy doing. Bought a cheap 30 year old rower on Craigslist. Was pretty nasty but got it all cleaned up and it works like new.
Rowing is a fantastic full body workout. I want to make sure I have space for one when I get a :haus:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am Ah I misread your question - I took it as when do I have time to do it.

Rowing is a fantastic full body workout. I want to make sure I have space for one when I get a :haus:
Yeah I should probably have one instead of a stupid drum set and bicycle, probably takes up about the same space and costs the same too.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

This came in this morning..

troyguitar

My wife still actually needs to get a phone AND laptop. She's using a Samsung Galaxy S4 from 2013 and a Lenovo x220 from 2011ish?

We're more or less set on a new XPS 13 whenever they open up custom configurations and better discounts, but the phone question is significantly more challenging.

Needs to be Verizon-capable, Android, and not over probably $300 or so. Thinking about whatever the newest LG V-series is available for a decent deal on ebay since my $150 V20 from 2016 is still working great.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm My wife still actually needs to get a phone AND laptop. She's using a Samsung Galaxy S4 from 2013 and a Lenovo x220 from 2011ish?

We're more or less set on a new XPS 13 whenever they open up custom configurations and better discounts, but the phone question is significantly more challenging.

Needs to be Verizon-capable, Android, and not over probably $300 or so. Thinking about whatever the newest LG V-series is available for a decent deal on ebay since my $150 V20 from 2016 is still working great.
Pixel 3a. Done.
Meanwhile I have spent the last hour and a half, on my real computer, looking at various options trying to figure out why a 3a is the best vs hunting down an old V35 or any number of other options.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:48 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Pixel 3a. Done.
Meanwhile I have spent the last hour and a half, on my real computer, looking at various options trying to figure out why a 3a is the best vs hunting down an old V35 or any number of other options.
price
durable
good hardware
2 more years of guaranteed support from big G
stock un bloated android.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Nearly new, no bloatware/pure Android, in your price range.

The bulk of decisions we make really don't matter so that's the level of thought I put into most of them.
Our whole lives are determined by the decisions we make - and hell you specifically are paid a fuck ton of money for being available to make decisions 24/7, no?

V35 is $100 cheaper with better hardware. Tons of other stuff I know nothing about is also probably worth looking at. I can't imagine buying what you guys say is the most important device in our lives without thoroughly researching our options and really putting some thought into them. :iono: :wrong:
troyguitar

For example: Is "5G" going to be a thing that matters in the next 3 years? Is there a phone worth buying now that will utilize that technology so we don't feel compelled to buy another thing in a year or two instead of 5?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 pm For example: Is "5G" going to be a thing that matters in the next 3 years? Is there a phone worth buying now that will utilize that technology so we don't feel compelled to buy another thing in a year or two instead of 5?
no, and if you get 5g your carrier will likely require you to carry it and pay the extra for it (sprint does this). For this reason id avoid 5g
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:22 am Alternative idea if you WANT to go to a phone only but don't know how - a USB C laptop dock will work with an Android phone to give you monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Not advocating it for someone that needs a laptop but if you're somewhere between it might work.
I tried this just now and it doesn't do anything other than charge my Pixl 4 XL. There must be something else needed if it works at all, it didn't see my dual displays, mouse or KB.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:12 am
wap wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Thank you, Dirk.
you guys need to chill. :like:
:howdareu:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 pm For example: Is "5G" going to be a thing that matters in the next 3 years? Is there a phone worth buying now that will utilize that technology so we don't feel compelled to buy another thing in a year or two instead of 5?
The Pixel phone lines are pure android experience from the owners of the software. That alone is worth it for a lot of consumers.

If I was on Android, I’d Pixel 5/7 times.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

I actually bought a :dock: for the Samsung S4 back in 2013 with HDMI, usb, and audio ports with the intention of it replacing the desktop experience. It kind of worked but was nowhere near ready for prime time on the hardware or software side.

I'm amazed that it never became more of a thing, but apparently I'm one of the only people on the planet who prefers a real computer so demand is low.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:49 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 pm

I tried this just now and it doesn't do anything other than charge my Pixl 4 XL. There must be something else needed if it works at all, it didn't see my dual displays, mouse or KB.
Hey me too! Mouse and KB work, monitors aren't yet. Dell :dock:
How does the mouse work? Is there a cursor?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:57 pm
How does the mouse work? Is there a cursor?
Yup!

This is awesome!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:16 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Nearly new, no bloatware/pure Android, in your price range.

The bulk of decisions we make really don't matter so that's the level of thought I put into most of them.
Our whole lives are determined by the decisions we make - and hell you specifically are paid a fuck ton of money for being available to make decisions 24/7, no?

V35 is $100 cheaper with better hardware. Tons of other stuff I know nothing about is also probably worth looking at. I can't imagine buying what you guys say is the most important device in our lives without thoroughly researching our options and really putting some thought into them. :iono: :wrong:
The thing is, every reasonable phone is 95% the same, does that last 5% really matter?

I had a Pixel and now I have an iPhone. In retrospect, I liked the Pixel more, I should’ve just bought a newer Pixel, next time I will. But is my life worse because I have an iPhone? No. Am I suffering? No. It still gets me maps, e-mail, has a good camera, calls, chats, tracks my exercise, plays YouTube videos to help me work on shit. It really doesn’t matter.

If you’re not a tech geek like Rudy :whocares:

I’m 100% with you on being :mindblown: that everyone prefers to use their phones. I use my laptop whenever I can, it’s way better for DFDing, researching projects/repairs, planning vacations, and obviously work. I have to look at a ton of data at work and despite all my job really entails is calling and emailing people, I need to be armed with a lot of info to know who to call and to talk intelligently about things. This requires multiple screens, a headset, keyboard, and mouse.
SAWCE

Bought new sunglasses. Electric brand, I’ve always liked their stuff. Had a few pairs of their sunglasses over the years when I was younger and I still use them for my snowboard goggles. They’re doing a few sales right now.

Brand new the ones I wanted were $160 with the polarized lenses, $180 with a hard case to protect them.

They had the non-polarized ones on sale for $72 with an extra 50% off sale code, so grabbed those for $36.

Then I bought replacement polarized lenses for $70 plus the case for $20 minus a 30% off code, so $63.

$99 spent instead of $180 for the full price. Not brad.

Minor inconvenience of placing two orders since the multiple codes can’t be used on an order, but free shipping on both orders so. :aintcare:
Last edited by SAWCE on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

I guess the $99 vs $180 wasn’t a fair comparison..

My :scrooge: -ing with the two orders saved me $26 over just buying the polarized set with the hard case for $180 minus the 30% off, so $126.
SAWCE

Further stimulated the economy buying a complication album from Drive Thru Records that they finally pressed on vinyl. The original CDs back in 2001 came in a mini pizza box with pictures of all the bands and shit. They recreated that, but with a bigger pizza box to fit the 12” record, a pizza printed slipmat for your turn table, and a t-shirt. I don’t care about the shirt and likely won’t wear it, but they didn’t have an option to buy the record by itself, so here we are. They made 600 of these things, and I missed the first two releases. This one is a yellow vinyl and they made 100 of that color, so it’ll be a bit of a collector’s item down the road, especially if I can keep the pizza box in decent shape.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

SAWCE wrote:I guess the $99 vs $180 wasn’t a fair comparison..

My :scrooge: -ing with the two orders saved me $26 over just buying the polarized set with the hard case for $180 minus the 30% off, so $126.
Still :notbad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Had a $25 online gift card from grocery :scrooge:-ing. So I decided to throw in the extra $14 towards a ridiculously expensive phone case I’ve been wanting.

https://latercase.com/products/iphone-xs-max-thin-case

Probably :wrong:, but :aintcare:

razr390

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:07 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:16 pm

The thing is, every reasonable phone is 95% the same, does that last 5% really matter?

I had a Pixel and now I have an iPhone. In retrospect, I liked the Pixel more, I should’ve just bought a newer Pixel, next time I will. But is my life worse because I have an iPhone? No. Am I suffering? No. It still gets me maps, e-mail, has a good camera, calls, chats, tracks my exercise, plays YouTube videos to help me work on shit. It really doesn’t matter.

I’m 100% with you on being :mindblown: that everyone prefers to use their phones. I use my laptop whenever I can, it’s way better for DFDing, researching projects/repairs, planning vacations, and obviously work. I have to look at a ton of data at work and despite all my job really entails is calling and emailing people, I need to be armed with a lot of info to know who to call and to talk intelligently about things. This requires multiple screens, a headset, keyboard, and mouse.
Since crotchfruit I haven’t been as tech geeky.

I still have my XS. Did get a new MacBook though. I can admit I love DFD’ing on it compared to my phone.

Pixel is great. If I wasn’t in the Apple ecosystem I’d have a pixel.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:07 am

Since crotchfruit I haven’t been as tech geeky.

I still have my XS. Did get a new MacBook though. I can admit I love DFD’ing on it compared to my phone.

Pixel is great. If I wasn’t in the Apple ecosystem I’d have a pixel.
I’ve been kinda debating about going a little :scrooge: with a XR vs the 11. :iono:
razr390

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:58 pm Had a $25 online gift card from grocery :scrooge:-ing. So I decided to throw in the extra $14 towards a ridiculously expensive phone case I’ve been wanting.

https://latercase.com/products/iphone-xs-max-thin-case

Probably :wrong:, but :aintcare:

I have a similar one for my XS. It’s from Evutec. Comes with a magnetic car mount that goes into the AC vent of the car.