So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolgasm:
I just realized I posted this here instead of the OT thread.

:ohwell: all of DFD is OT.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 pm :lolgasm:

:dat: I thought maybe you were being ironic :aintcare: :megusta:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 pm :lolgasm:

:dat: I thought maybe you were being ironic :aintcare: :megusta:
I should have just gone with that explanation, seeing as how useless all our advice to :crang: was.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:46 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 pm Ladies and Germs,

We have reached the 5 year anniversary of the :fuckyeah: greatest and most :disgust: frustratingly terrible thread in the history of DFD. To celebrate this auspicious and awful :rage: -inducing event, I happily present to you all:

viewtopic.php?t=633

Fucking :crang: If only SOMEbody had given him even the least bit of advice...
El oh el that’s one deserter I don’t really miss
makes for a great story tho.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Just bought an HP Dragonfly Pro Chromebook. It seems.... ok, but certainly nowhere up to the build quality and design wow factor of my long departed Pixelbook. Probably should have just bought an old one of those and dealt with the slower processor and whatnot.

Oh well. This one has a rainbow keyboard so that is fun.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Since this will be the first summer that I'm not going to Turkey, I decided to get my beach days balls deep by getting the following items.

My very own cooler or should I say Yetii! no more parents igloo 😅

Also a sand towel that can accommodate 4 people, dries and recovers easily, Atleast advertised

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:35 am Since this will be the first summer that I'm not going to Turkey, I decided to get my beach days balls deep by getting the following items.

My very own cooler or should I say Yetii! no more parents igloo 😅

Also a sand towel that can accommodate 4 people, dries and recovers easily, Atleast advertised

The problem with the Yeti and all other :dedong: elitist coolers is their weight. Fully loaded with ice and beverages that nasty bitch will be pushing 3 digits. Don't plan on hauling it to the beach by yourself. I would give up the "certified bearproofness' etc. if somebody can build a lightweight cooler with Yetiesque cool retention properties. It will last a lifetime though. I have the one with wheels...........nobody can use it but me because of the weight issues lifting into and out of the vehicles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, if you REALLY want that ice to last for 48 hours, load the cooler with one round of ice first, wait a few hours, then reload with food/beverages and new ice. Thermodynamics YO!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We have a soft RTIC and these ice packs and it’s a pretty solid option that’s a tad more manageable and also reasonably priced. I really like it. That said, YETI is quite a nice unit.

@TK if you’re going hard with beachin’, a Tommy Bahama chair and an umbrella are also must. A dece weatherproof speaker is also dece.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:21 pm We have a soft RTIC and these ice packs and it’s a pretty solid option that’s a tad more manageable and also reasonably priced. I really like it. That said, YETI is quite a nice unit.

@TK if you’re going hard with beachin’, a Tommy Bahama chair and an umbrella are also must. A dece weatherproof speaker is also dece.
Oh I already have tommy bahama umbrella that my family uses. Also my JBL Charge 3 that I've been using since 2016, and still going strong. desertbreh, I don't plan to walk a long distance with the cooler as well, luckily for the beach I regularly go to, the parking lot or street park is practically next to the boardwalk.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Update on the watch and recent beach things

I did end up buying tommy bahama chairs, and they're great.

Also dumping the invicta and just ordered this bad boy. I only wore it probably 20 times and it felt shintzy to me for some reason. I always thought invicta is kind of a good brand, but upon my research it is quite the opposite and it just doesn't feel as special to me.

So I either thought about getting a better watch or trade my current apple watch to the 8 ultra (which I don't really need).

So I pulled the plunge on this.

https://www.reeds.com/tissot-t-sport-qu ... gKTfvD_BwE
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:58 pm Update on the watch and recent beach things

I did end up buying tommy bahama chairs, and they're great.

Also dumping the invicta and just ordered this bad boy. I only wore it probably 20 times and it felt shintzy to me for some reason. I always thought invicta is kind of a good brand, but upon my research it is quite the opposite and it just doesn't feel as special to me.

So I either thought about getting a better watch or trade my current apple watch to the 8 ultra (which I don't really need).

So I pulled the plunge on this.

https://www.reeds.com/tissot-t-sport-qu ... gKTfvD_BwE
That is a nice looking piece for the money.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I just ordered a 12x16 workshop
:whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:23 am I just ordered a 12x16 workshop
What did you get? I’m looking a a 12x20 steel building to replace the crushed 8x12 shitbox shed that got crushed by our tree. Going to pave the area and make a sidewalk to it, run power up, go with insulated walls, etc so I’ll have a nice little bike shop. May add a mini split or window AC down the line to make it my office as well.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:31 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:23 am I just ordered a 12x16 workshop
What did you get? I’m looking a a 12x20 steel building to replace the crushed 8x12 shitbox shed that got crushed by our tree. Going to pave the area and make a sidewalk to it, run power up, go with insulated walls, etc so I’ll have a nice little bike shop. May add a mini split or window AC down the line to make it my office as well.
My lot is not flat at all so building anything gets $$$ realllll quick. So its one of the self supporting deals that goes on blocks.

https://cherokeestructures.com/sheds/high-wall-barn/

Double doors on long side, full length workbench, 2 4' lofts. This will be tool storage and work space, the existing ~10' x ~20' shed will be storage. Its really far way from any power and i dont need AC so I'm just doing a simple 12v solar setup with a deep cycle battery and 1kw inverter for any plug in tools that dont use ryobi batteries.

this is 7200 + $4 a block to setup. I'm doing a rent to own deal and putting 1k a month on it so the finial all in price will be about 7800.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Treated myself to a Callaway Rogue ST Max hybrid today. Pretty basic but should help me a lot when I flub a shot off the tee.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My wife has been struggling with the thumping of my bass guitar through the walls. Maybe the 150 watt amp has something to do with it, even at vol 2 the ampeg lays down some LOOONNNNGGG soundwaves that reverberate through two floors. I use headphones as often as I can, but they can be annoying at times, so I bought an acoustic bass for evening practice sessions. Some metal head bought it new for 500 dollhairs, but uses his electric almost exclusively. He let it go for $250 and I'm happy that I scooped it. It's a Fender CB-60SCE Acoustic Bass Guitar w/ Laurel Fingerboard, mahogany neck/spruce top, and likely laminate sides. Somewhat shorter then my full scale electric makes playing a bit more relaxing. Surprisingly, it's intonation is decent enough that I'm not struggling to get all the notes out if my fingering is clean. I'm addicted to this hobby, and the gadgets are starting to amass as well. Last month I bought a Pod GO Line 6 pedal board and a dece set of headphones. Most of the stuff I buy is used and already devalued 50%, so I don't feel too bad, but it's easy to go down the spendy rabbit hole.

Anyways, for the price this can't be beat:

I love this thing so much, my buddy threw me some very nice toppers as well, all in cost was closer to retail here ($500):

This amp was used, I don't know what it costs new, but it's absolutely awesome sounding and worth every penny ($400):

2005 Carvin LB70 with custom build specs including Neches through build, dual humbucker active/passive + piezo bridge pickups. I added flat black hipshot open gear tuners after one fell apart during a practice session. (800 bass, 120 for the tuners, 35 for new strings), thats a lot of bass for not a lot of money:

With cables, straps, etc, I'm probably cresting $2500. I don't think I'll every need more unless I'm trading up. Future funds can go towards formal lessons, I'm a dozen songs in and almost zero music theory. As long as I'm not writing music it probably doesn't matter, but the goal is to keep getting better.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Nice dude! I always wanted an acoustic bass when I played.. my parents were surprisingly cool with me thumping on mine through the little 100W amp that I had at home though..

Trouble didn’t come until later when I bought a big ass 450W hybrid Marshall amp with a 4x10” half cab to play it through. I was long term house-sitting for an older couple at our church and would have my band over for practice in the living room.. the amp was so loud that my dad could hear it from 5-6 blocks away where they lived and came over to tell me/us to shut it down :lol: I’m surprised I didn’t blow out any windows in their place.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:24 am Nice dude! I always wanted an acoustic bass when I played.. my parents were surprisingly cool with me thumping on mine through the little 100W amp that I had at home though..

Trouble didn’t come until later when I bought a big ass 450W hybrid Marshall amp with a 4x10” half cab to play it through. I was long term house-sitting for an older couple at our church and would have my band over for practice in the living room.. the amp was so loud that my dad could hear it from 5-6 blocks away where they lived and came over to tell me/us to shut it down :lol: I’m surprised I didn’t blow out any windows in their place.
:impressive: powah! I wish we had jam space like that, I bet it was so fun! Once the new play list is ironed out we are going to rent jam/studio space for $30/hr. Probably a month away. :excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah:

Nice little pickup Mario, and :impressive: house rattling in the desert. I really need to get off my ass and play some guitar/bass again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:18 pm :fuckyeah:

Nice little pickup Mario, and :impressive: house rattling in the desert. I really need to get off my ass and play some guitar/bass again.
:jelly: of your music background and formal training. You probably sound amazing! The motivation is strong right now, but I get how it can taper off if you have RL shit to do. I thankfully have no life outside of work/family shit.

What music/songs would you likely play if you picked up a guitar again?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:18 pm :fuckyeah:

:jelly: of your music background and formal training. You probably sound amazing! The motivation is strong right now, but I get how it can taper off if you have RL shit to do. I thankfully have no life outside of work/family shit.

What music/songs would you likely play if you picked up a guitar again?
I played a ton of Metallica, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Tool, etc. I think now I would honestly just love to be in a 90s cover band playing Blink 182, Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory, other fun pop punk and emo that would be pretty easy to learn and sound good on. I'd ultimately enjoy just playing a bar gig every month or two, even if it's for free. I think I'd get pretty motivated if I could find a group to do this with; it's tricky to find people with similar skill and commitment levels.

At one time I was indeed pretty dece but the skills have waned significantly. Music is a lot like track driving or other skills like that :doe: , it's pretty easy to gain them back with some practice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:29 am
I played a ton of Metallica, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Tool, etc. I think now I would honestly just love to be in a 90s cover band playing Blink 182, Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory, other fun pop punk and emo that would be pretty easy to learn and sound good on. I'd ultimately enjoy just playing a bar gig every month or two, even if it's for free. I think I'd get pretty motivated if I could find a group to do this with; it's tricky to find people with similar skill and commitment levels.

At one time I was indeed pretty dece but the skills have waned significantly. Music is a lot like track driving or other skills like that :doe: , it's pretty easy to gain them back with some practice.
I am :excited: to learn and eventually cover Tool/Zep/Chilis/etc stuff, a very challenging hill that I have yet to climb. I look forward to the day that stuff like that becomes doable.

I'd personally much rather watch a band cover Tool, but :iono: ; these kind of 'fun/easy' to play songs are probably even better crowd pleasers. People in general identify with simple music, so why work harder unless its for oneself? My wife actually enjoyed a rendition of Drive (Incubus) on my acoustic guitar today, she would scurry away when I broadcast Silverchair/Nirvana tunes :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:29 am

I am :excited: to learn and eventually cover Tool/Zep/Chilis/etc stuff, a very challenging hill that I have yet to climb. I look forward to the day that stuff like that becomes doable.

I'd personally much rather watch a band cover Tool, but :iono: ; these kind of 'fun/easy' to play songs are probably even better crowd pleasers. People in general identify with simple music, so why work harder unless its for oneself? My wife actually enjoyed a rendition of Drive (Incubus) on my acoustic guitar today, she would scurry away when I broadcast Silverchair/Nirvana tunes :lolol:
I love Tool :lolol: but I also love catchy, pop rock and it's a ton of fun to jam out to. May as well gravitate to what's easy and popular. At this point I'm not doing any of it :sad:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah too bad you're not here, we'd be discussing gig dates. Sandro the guitarist would love to dip out of vocals.

Like you said, it's hard to find like minded people with the same commitment level.